PaulD's lightweight mid drive development

Same Plugs ?

Will you put different color heat shrink on the different plugs ? ( Available at H.K. )

Anyway , there will be plenty of entertainment needed.

The good news for those of us Living in Santa Clara Valley , is that we can go out to exercise ,
for a walk, and includes Bike Riding . ( Just not any exercise with groups or at least leave some distance between each other when walking or bike riding )

Paul, I think there's a market for a smaller lower powered version of your system for kids bikes. I built a bike for my boy and made this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3BRabYe9yo. That bike was just a walmart bike but regular bike companies make some nice kids bike now. My boy was riding a Kona Shredder 20 and now a Scott Scale JR for his non electric rides. The great thing about a system for a kids bike is that they are so light it doesn't need a lot of power. Your system could be moved from one bike to another as they grew and moved up bike sizes. Anyway just a thought. Love your system!

I think the torque sensor might be better. I used the throttle for him because the bafang pas sucks. On the other hand my boy was riding a OSET 12.5 with a throttle before he turned 3. At that age he still could't figure out the whole pedaling thing. Maybe a throttle is better? Now these are out https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/electric/electric-balance-bikes.html. Too Cool!

Joost5000 said:
Hey Paul!
ETA?
Gen 2 kits are now available on the website! Thanks for your patience!

lightrush said:
Can the freewheel accommodate 110 BCD or 130 BCD?

The freewheel is 104 BCD only, but I have adapters to run 110mm asymmetric for those that want to run double front chainrings.

Great news, I see there is no mention of the throttle. Is that still supported and does it use the higo/bafang plug?

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks Paul!

I already put an order in(order22) can you hold off on delivering until the throttle version is ready?

PaulD said:
Joost5000 said:
Hey Paul!
ETA?
Gen 2 kits are now available on the website! Thanks for your patience!

lightrush said:
Can the freewheel accommodate 110 BCD or 130 BCD?

The freewheel is 104 BCD only, but I have adapters to run 110mm asymmetric for those that want to run double front chainrings.

Shit. 110 asymmetric is the Shimano Ultegra/Dura-Ace chainrings yes? How does that affect the chainline?

What I really want is a narrow-wide 44-46 ring. I currently have 110BCD ones. I know there are also 130BCD rings of that size. I can't however find much anything bigger than 38-40t in 104BCD. Is there a solution? Asymmetric adapter with asymmetric narrow-wide ring? Chainline?

lightrush said:
110 asymmetric is the Shimano Ultegra/Dura-Ace chainrings yes? How does that affect the chainline?

What I really want is a narrow-wide 44-46 ring. I currently have 110BCD ones. I know there are also 130BCD rings of that size. I can't however find much anything bigger than 38-40t in 104BCD. Is there a solution? Asymmetric adapter with asymmetric narrow-wide ring? Chainline?

Adapters move the chainline out a few mm.
I have 104mm BCD narrow-wide chainrings from 30T to 52T in stock. Chainrings larger than 38T are Deckas brand.

One more question - the throttle version, is that going to be the PAS version plus additional input for throttle or does the throttle version change/remove the PAS function in any way?

lightrush said:
One more question - the throttle version, is that going to be the PAS version plus additional input for throttle or does the throttle version change/remove the PAS function in any way?
The throttle version also has a torque sensor, so it takes input from either. It doesn't remove torque sensor function.

Hey Paul, the new kit already shows as sold out on the web site. Is there a chance to get a kit anytime?

lightrush said:
Hey Paul, the new kit already shows as sold out on the web site. Is there a chance to get a kit anytime?

Yes, things moved much more quickly than expected. The next batch is scheduled for June. I have a few used kits that need to be refurbished, but I'm not sure when I'll have the time.

Paul, can't you put a strain gauge of some sort on the pulley to detect torque from the crackset?

Paul,

Your narrow-wide chainrings , are they 11 speed ( chain ) or 12 speed ( chain ) chainrings ?

I have noticed a need that we have in the mid - drive community .
That is to be able to have higher road riding speeds
and
the ability to go up step grades we will be better off with 2 front chainrings ,

This is very important for low power mid-drives like your's .

46-52 tooth outer , and the smaller inner size depending on how steep the hills are where one lives.

Also , Sram Eagle 12 speed , from GX up uses a XD driver , which I would rather use with a electric mid-drive .
However

Both a wide range of front chainrings for 12 speed eagle systems are not currently available , add to that the Eagle GX and up cassettes are very expensive , because of the desire for very low weight,
however as you know with a electric drive we can afford to have an extra 100 grams on a cassette as long as it costs 25% - 35 % the cost of the current 12 speed HD driver ready cassettes.

So if you had not planed on it yet, if you can start making much more budget 12 speed options . albeit a little heaver , there is a market for it .
12 speed narrow - wide , Chainrings and Cassettes at much lower costs , and heavier more durable for higher than human torques.

PaulD said:
Adapters move the chainline out a few mm.
I have 104mm BCD narrow-wide chainrings from 30T to 52T in stock. Chainrings larger than 38T are Deckas brand.

lightrush said:
Paul, can't you put a strain gauge of some sort on the pulley to detect torque from the crackset?

The idler is only on the motor chain, so it would measure motor torque not rider torque. The Rocky Mountain power play does this by routing the bike chain over the motor sprocket and the chainring such that they can measure rider input only

ScooterMan101 said:
Your narrow-wide chainrings , are they 11 speed ( chain ) or 12 speed ( chain ) chainrings ?

Rumor has it that most narrow wide chainrings work with 12 speed chain, but shimano chains need to use a SRAM quick link. I use a Shimano 11-46 11 speed cassette, and it's enough range for me and it's a fraction of the price of 12 speed.

Hey Paul,

Just pontificating here... A kids system got me thinking on small systems low torque. In addition, I was thinking about famous le Tour de France cheating where they put tiny motors in hubs for incremental gains. Let’s say you reduce torque requirements in half or a quarter; high speed low torque. From a rider perspective the feel of a always having a small tailwind. How how light of a system can you get to. I would assume with such low torque requirements you can use lighter materials and a much smaller motor. Perhaps leverage printed plastic instead of steel/aluminum. Can you get the overall system weight down say by 40% with the lower requirements?

Cheers!
Dave

Back