My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Let's concentrate on 3, the delivery Frey showed for the 6 months delivery time is by sea to your door, what's the problem?

brake034 said:
Let's concentrate on 3, the delivery Frey showed for the 6 months delivery time is by sea to your door, what's the problem?

Thanks Marcel.

Issue is that I had no clarification that they could send to my city/port. On their zero freight offer, delivery to port, not to door.
"Australia and New Zealand: by sea to local port."

Offer has ended now anyway.

Try to realize you aren't dealing with some large company with an in-depth bench of well trained native English CSRs.

Not to mention zombie apocalypse pandemic issues, people afraid of dying.

And expecting Western culture attitudes toward responsive customer service, at the best of times is a bit much.

Personally I would want to avoid you as a customer.

john61ct said:
Try to realize you aren't dealing with some large company with an in-depth bench of well trained native English CSRs.

Then don't put up promises on a website that aren't anywhere near being fulfilled. If you read my posts you would see I attempted clarification as I obviously know they haven't a good grasp of English and I know a lot less Mandarin.

john61ct said:
Not to mention zombie apocalypse pandemic issues, people afraid of dying.

and this is relevant to replying to emails how?

john61ct said:
And expecting Western culture attitudes toward responsive customer service, at the best of times is a bit much.

"At the best of times" - if you are referring to Covid-19, then don't put up promises during the outbreak on a website that aren't anywhere near being fulfilled. Again, sending emails can't be affected by the outbreak. Production of bikes yes.

john61ct said:
Personally I would want to avoid you as a customer.

You've obviously never run or owned a company and only ever 'worked for the man'. Pointing out faults is a learning exercise for a company and its owner to improve if they are mature enough to take it on board for future improvement.

I've been the owner 90+% of my working life, and stand by what I say.

Being able to fire customers more trouble than they're worth is a priceless privilege.

NoFanBoiz said:
Issue is that I had no clarification that they could send to my city/port. On their zero freight offer, delivery to port, not to door.

Sorry, I had presumed you were from the US, my bad. I discussed with Ivy and here is our suggestion, we can accept your order provided we can arrange the ordering details by Monday 13th if that is OK with you? If you are, please resend the e-mail string to Ivy (sales@frey.bike) and me (marcel@frey.bike) and we will work during the weekend on getting the details sorted out.

As a side note, we might not be in the position to offer delivery at any given Australian/New Zealand sea port, simply because the container ships have fixed routes to discharge the containers. It may mean you have some local transport costs from port of discharge to your home.......

john61ct said:
I've been the owner 90+% of my working life, and stand by what I say.

Being able to fire customers more trouble than they're worth is a priceless privilege.

Same as all your points posted in previous posts above, totally useless. I've never been a customer, so can't be 'fired'. As per my posts about emails sent and not responded to, you can't become a customer if there is no service provided.

brake034 said:
NoFanBoiz said:

Sorry, I had presumed you were from the US, my bad. I discussed with Ivy and here is our suggestion, we can accept your order provided we can arrange the ordering details by Monday 13th if that is OK with you? If you are, please resend the e-mail string to Ivy (sales@frey.bike) and me (marcel@frey.bike) and we will work during the weekend on getting the details sorted out.

As a side note, we might not be in the position to offer delivery at any given Australian/New Zealand sea port, simply because the container ships have fixed routes to discharge the containers. It may mean you have some local transport costs from port of discharge to your home.......

Thanks Marcel, appreciate your reaching out. I hope they know what a great job you are doing!

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for awhile but am moving towards purchasing my first ebike and the Frey AM1000 is near the top of the list. I've tried skimming through all 70 pages of this thread to get answers to my questions, but it might just be easier to ask my questions directly. I intend to use the bike to commute to and from work (8 miles round trip, very hilly) 5 days a week with occasional trail riding (no big drops). I'm a professor so getting to class without breaking a sweat and having to shower would be awesome. Here are my questions:
1. What is the max throttle-only speed on flat ground?
2. How does it handle hills? Could I climb a decently steep grade without pedaling? What kind of speeds would I be going?
3. What additional parts should I order from Frey? Is a shift sensor important?
4. How can I take part in the delayed shipping order where cost of shipping is waived? I saw this advertised on Electrek.com
5. My other choice would be the Sur Ron mx from Luna. Could anyone speak to the pros/cons of daily commuting on the Frey AM1000 vs the Sur Ron?

Hopefully these questions don't out me as too much of an ebike n00b! I've been excited about this space for awhile but until recently have not had the funds to get into it. Thanks to any kind soul who takes the time to respond to my questions!

1. I get about 30 mph.
2. Hills are no problem because it has a mid drive that takes advantage of the gears but it's difficult to tell you how fast you'll go because that depends on the load and grade.
3. Derailleur hangers, extra battery. I wouldn't get the shift sensor. I don't like things that can interfere or malfunction but I know others like them.
4. It appears to be over. http://frey.bike/article/FREY-is-with-you.htm
5. Wow, that's going to be a completely different experience. 5200W vs 1500W. One's a mountain bike and the other is a motorcycle. You're definitely not going to get anything like a mountain bike experience on a Sur Ron. It weighs almost twice as much. But it'll sure be fun though. I don't think a Sur Ron on a typical bike trail is a good idea though. It will go way too fast and be very dangerous to other people and bikers because of how fast and heavy it is. If you stick to motorcycle trails, that might be safer.

SDprof said:
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for awhile but am moving towards purchasing my first ebike and the Frey AM1000 is near the top of the list. I've tried skimming through all 70 pages of this thread to get answers to my questions, but it might just be easier to ask my questions directly. I intend to use the bike to commute to and from work (8 miles round trip, very hilly) 5 days a week with occasional trail riding (no big drops). I'm a professor so getting to class without breaking a sweat and having to shower would be awesome. Here are my questions:
2. How does it handle hills? Could I climb a decently steep grade without pedaling? What kind of speeds would I be going?
4. How can I take part in the delayed shipping order where cost of shipping is waived? I saw this advertised on Electrek.com
5. My other choice would be the Sur Ron mx from Luna. Could anyone speak to the pros/cons of daily commuting on the Frey AM1000 vs the Sur Ron?

Hopefully these questions don't out me as too much of an ebike n00b! I've been excited about this space for awhile but until recently have not had the funds to get into it. Thanks to any kind soul who takes the time to respond to my questions!

Following up - these are perfect. 👌

Tjeska said:
Stanleybb50 said:
OH and while we're at it, I remember reading about shorter cranks. I'm sure I could find the answer from a search in about 2 minutes, but if someone feels like calling that out as well, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Shorter cranks: 150 mm Delta
REF NUMBER: PD11IBT17CA700001541
Miranda bikes
https://mirandabikeparts.com

Let me know what you think of them, if I get my bike its possible I will order a set to.

robocam said:
1. I get about 30 mph.
2. Hills are no problem because it has a mid drive that takes advantage of the gears but it's difficult to tell you how fast you'll go because that depends on the load and grade.
3. Derailleur hangers, extra battery. I wouldn't get the shift sensor. I don't like things that can interfere or malfunction but I know others like them.
4. It appears to be over. http://frey.bike/article/FREY-is-with-you.htm
5. Wow, that's going to be a completely different experience. 5200W vs 1500W. One's a mountain bike and the other is a motorcycle. You're definitely not going to get anything like a mountain bike experience on a Sur Ron. It weighs almost twice as much. But it'll sure be fun though. I don't think a Sur Ron on a typical bike trail is a good idea though. It will go way too fast and be very dangerous to other people and bikers because of how fast and heavy it is. If you stick to motorcycle trails, that might be safer.

SDprof said:
Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks so much for replying Robocam. Super helpful info, esp the throttle-only speed over flat ground. Second, I hadn't seen that end date before on the free shipping option, huge bummer!

Yes I do know that about the Sur Ron, but good to hear it from someone so familiar with more traditional (albeit powerful) ebikes like Frey's. It is correct to say that I am currently weighing the pros and cons of using a mini e-moto vs a powerful e-bike as my daily commuter.

Hey all,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get just the frame? I saw one person early on did but that was some time ago. Ive already got an older g510 and really don’t want to drop another $3k+ on a full bike of components I already have.

When I asked I was told no but this was after inquiring about a nearly $4k build since I wanted to compare components.

BonafideZoocity said:
Hey all,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get just the frame? I saw one person early on did but that was some time ago. Ive already got an older g510 and really don’t want to drop another $3k+ on a full bike of components I already have.

When I asked I was told no but this was after inquiring about a nearly $4k build since I wanted to compare components.

I bought just a frame (HT100) from Frey late in 2018. I then purchased everything else from other sources. Oh yeah, I also bought the complete G510 drive package also from Frey. It was all good. Unfortunately they quit selling just frames because a lot of people complained about this bit or that bit missing and it became more of a problem for Frey than it was worth.

There ARE lots of Ultra FRAME ONLY OFFERINGS ON Alibaba.... Just make sure you also get the hanger and rear axle as part of the deal. You would think these are automatic, but they are not always included.

Thanks for the reply. That’s really unfortunate, I liked the design of the Frey suspension and frame but I’m not going to purchase an entire bike again. I’ve looked at the different frames an alibaba but haven’t found one that I’m completely happy with.

SDprof said:
Hello everyone,

30 mph sounds about right.
2. How does it handle hills? Could I climb a decently steep grade without pedaling? What kind of speeds would I be going? Yes. 20mph
Yes. Shift sensor. Extra derailleur hangers. Consider Miranda 150 cranks (reduce pedal strikes). Have frey wired for headlight/brake light. I cut off brake light but good for Commuting. Maybe dropper post.
I got mine 2 years ago. Took 3 weeks
5. My other choice would be the Sur Ron mx from Luna. Could anyone speak to the pros/cons of daily commuting on the Frey AM1000 vs the Sur Ron? Frey am1000 would be great unless you have to carry/lift it amywhere.

BonafideZoocity said:
Hey all,

I just saw that Watt Wagons is selling custom Ti frames. Definitely expensive, but if you are looking for quality, that appears to be an avenue.

I am not sure if they will be selling frames for their upcoming Ultimate Commuter Pro superbike, but I would ask them.

Kitaro1999 said:
BonafideZoocity said:
Hey all,

I just saw that Watt Wagons is selling custom Ti frames. Definitely expensive, but if you are looking for quality, that appears to be an avenue.

I am not sure if they will be selling frames for their upcoming Ultimate Commuter Pro superbike, but I would ask them.

I just spoke with them for a bit and it sounds like they have a full suspension frame in the works but it’ll use an integrated down tube Battery like the EX. They have a few months of work to do still too. They have nice looking frames but full suspension is my goal and there’s not a whole lot of variety at the moment. Thanks for the tip, it’s gotten me somewhere.

Hello Everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve visited this forum so it was good to catch up with you guys.
I read an earlier post from someone disparaging Frey for not responding to an email in a timely manner and I just wanted to say that I’ve had a great experience working with Frey and have always received quick responses to all of my questions.

I purchased 2 bikes from Frey, an AM1000 and an EX without the external second battery. Both bikes are complete and shipped on April 17th. I chose the sea option and Abby told me that they should arrive in the USA around May 4th and that the information will be extracted around the May 13th. I assume she means that’s when they will clear customs. She gave me a FedEx tracking number that will activate after that point to monitor their travel to my home in upstate New York. As you all know New York is the hot spot of the world for COVID19 and we have had a great shortage of masks in our area. I was overwhelmed to receive over 100 masks from Frey that came at a time when we were desperate to get even one. I kept a few for my family and donated the rest to our local first responders who really needed them. I’d like to give a shout out to Grace and the whole Frey team for their generous and thoughtful gift. It’s just one more thing to like about this company.

I ordered the AM1000 back on January 15th so I missed the first special shipping option. I had originally ordered the CC model after watching Micah Toll’s review on Electrek but soon realized that a mountain bike was a better option for touring. I then considered the less expensive HT1000 but ultimately decided on the full suspension AM1000. Grace did a great job dealing with my indecision and constant questions about the options I would want. I added fenders,lights, a rack, gear sensor, and a dropper post. I also upgraded to a Lyrik front fork and the 52v 17.5ah battery. I chose the same black metallic color Simon chose for his bike after watching the video he posted.
I certainly would have been very happy with the basic model but the price fully loaded was so much less expensive than the underpowered name brand bikes I had been considering that I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to have it all.

I purchased the EX to use in the challenging bike parks that exist in my area. Thunder Mountain in Massachusetts is just 1/2 hour away. Check out the Gronk trail on YouTube! I’m still riding the only mountain bike I’ve ever owned which is a non suspension 1987 Specialized HardRock. The EX is going to make up for all of the years I didn’t upgrade my bike. I liked the look of the bike without the external battery but I did purchase an additional internal battery. I can mount water bottle cages on the downtube where the hardware for the external battery would normally be attached. I added a dropper post and gear sensor and chose a deep blue metallic color from the YS paint catalog. It is very similar to the one in Simon’s unboxing video.

I’ll do another post when the bikes arrive. Stay strong and stay safe!

Attachments

• 2585750E-ED66-46F6-BB5C-85FE75A3FDE0.jpeg
    2585750E-ED66-46F6-BB5C-85FE75A3FDE0.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,564
  • AA8A70D4-5C1A-40F5-984F-68AFFA99A511.jpeg
    AA8A70D4-5C1A-40F5-984F-68AFFA99A511.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,564
  • B3E23B1A-D939-4785-BEDF-51AEFD3122CA.jpeg
    B3E23B1A-D939-4785-BEDF-51AEFD3122CA.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,564
  • 3B77BB8C-C803-4A36-A238-CBF6D53A6989.jpeg
    3B77BB8C-C803-4A36-A238-CBF6D53A6989.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,564
Pauldugie said:
I read an earlier post from someone disparaging Frey for not responding to an email in a timely manner and I just wanted to say that I’ve had a great experience working with Frey and have always received quick responses to all of my questions.

Yep, that was me being disparaging as my experience was obviously different to yours. When they advertise as "by sea to local port" but it's actually not available to local port, it's disappointing, even more so when they didn't answer emails for two weeks. Even after another member here chased them up, it turned out they would only ship to a major port so that was the end of that. Glad your experience was good though.

Hi Guys,

Which "chain checker" tool do you recommend for the KMC chain and when do we know the chain is worn out?

Thanks!

jeron said:
Hi Guys,

Which "chain checker" tool do you recommend for the KMC chain and when do we know the chain is worn out?

Thanks!

It’s questionable which is more cost-efficient. To change only the cassette or only the chain or both but chain more rarely. Here a SunRace 11-42t cassette costs 35€ but a new KMC chain is 75€. The cassette wears anyway even if the chain is in top-notch condition. The chain stretches very fast due to immense torque. Maybe already after 200-500km to it’s final length. Therefore I have changed the cassette every 500-700km and chain after 1200km.

Do you know what are the specs for AM1000’s and (FAT1000’s?) head tube? Tapered 1.5” crown and 1.125” top? I’m planning to upgrade to Wren Inverted and wonderin if it’ll fit.

I am looking for a dropper post. I think i can get away with a 175mm dropper in the L frame. But i don't know, 175mm is so much travel. What amount of travel are you guys running?

Also, my cassette lock ring was not tightened enough, i had some noise from the back wheel from the start that i couldn't identify, today i found out the lockring was so loose i could adjust it with my hand! After tightening the lockring it felt like a whole different bike! So careful tighten everything when receiving the bike.

The problems i had:
- No grease in the headset/tube
- Screw of the derailleur was totally loose, it almost fell off after the first ride!
- Loose lockring (it needs 40Nm..)
- The screws of the rear disk brake were loose... There was a lot of play, all the screws where hand loose.

I identified the loose lockring and rear disk brakes after +-600km, so i don't know if it was a factory fault.

Don't get me wrong, its a great bike, just inspect everything carefully!

Back