speed traps

miro13car

100 kW
City of Calgary has increased fines for speeding on pathways.
of course they target mostly ebikes.
I should expect speed traps I think mostly in downtown.
any advice how to detect, avoid ???

Dont be stupid and speed. In the words of a great man once, .."Dont Worry Be happy"

I know that isnt what you want to hear...
Best advice I got. Dont be stupid and only speed where you are alone. I hate minding my speed... unless i am at a reasonable gait. There are not any cops where there are no people.. and they are just looking out for the public. Statistically.

That said, I'll tell you I have been in handcuffs many times. It is not fun. Got a little experience fighting the man. Just dont..... he wins.

That's an easy one. Keep your speed below the max legal limit!

Seriously, this is a pet beef that I have. If we don't follow the laws/rules on multi-use paths we will be banned from using them. If you want to ride a moped or motorcycle just stay off the paths and ride where those bikes are allowed. Of course when you do need to take a safer route on a path for a bit just don't speed.

I agree with the above. If you're out on a straight with no one around, by all means hit the throttle. But you're probably not getting hit with a speeding ticket then. If there are people around or it's in town where there are intersections along the bike path(roads, paths, sidewalks, etc) then you probably shouldn't be blasting along at high speeds anyway. Worst case, you hurt someone. Less bad, but still crappy situation, you contribute to having ebikes banned from the paths.

I think the good question is what can you do to give your bike a simple switch that will keep you at the legal limit when in an urban setting with people around, but you can hit that switch on a straight and blast off when you want to. That will make riding much easier since then you don't have to constantly worry about your speed. Set it and forget it.

Fast ebikes don’t belong on bike paths. If you have to, ride the bike paths at the speed of cyclists. On the street, no one will care that you are fast unless you behave like a jerk, or look like a criminal.

miro13car said:
all the city cares about is max speed.
Of course they belong!!
maybe not in your city.
Of course ebikes are legal on bike paths, but not riding fast. If you ride a fast ebike, the street is your domain.

it is up to me if I ride my fast bike fast, right? I can ride my bike at 20km/h also all depends on situation.
I ride according to situation.
example
I never ride on weekend in the parks, especially good weather.
I love industrial areas on weekend.
street is my domain???
not me
avoiding cars is number one my list, on the weekend early morning I ride on streets of course but not in rush hours.
now we all enjoy half empty streets

Same way you deal with speed traps in a car. Figure out what they look like, where and when they show up, and pay attention! Countermeasures are optional.

miro13car said:
City of Calgary has increased fines for speeding on pathways.
of course they target mostly ebikes.
I should expect speed traps I think mostly in downtown.

The easiest technique is to stay off cycle and foot paths if your bike has a motor.

Many bikes have programmable speed limiting for the motor assist. If you use it, it will help you avoid speeding inadvertently.

What I wonder is how they can enforce bike speeding tickets if bikes are not legally required to have speedometers. Riding a bike on the streets of Calgary would be just asking to die. I hate driving in Calgary, everyone is in a hurry, probably because distances between the burbs and everywhere else are huge. I've never driven anywhere else that when the light goes green everyone stomps the pedal to the floor, most places people ease up to speed (other than the racer bois).

They enforce a law like that by the attitude test. So if your attitude is young hooligan on oxy, you get enforcement.

Yeah,, bottom line is never ride like an a----le on multi use paths, and you get little problems. Sometimes you run into a walker that thinks all bikes are banned, but aside from that, be nice to other riders and walkers, and its all good.

But when that path is bone empty, do what you like, just learn what the speed trap looks like, where they like to have them, and keep an eye out for cops on bikes. Kind of the same as driving in a car.

miro13car said:
Don't speed on public right-of-ways. What's the point?

Speeding tickets are the easiest citations to avoid. Can't understand how so many people get them.

alexplatts18 said:
I ride Road bikes I can hit 45mph at certain points.

If you can maintain 45mph on the flat, I'll eat my hat. And I don't wear a hat.

It's disingenuous to compare e-bike cruise speeds to the maximum speeds reached by pedal cyclists. Those speeds are never a problem for real cyclists because they're so uncommon.

They enforce a law like that by the attitude test. So if your attitude is young hooligan on oxy, you get enforcement.

Perfectly said Dan. Karma is not on your side if your playing games with roadies and other trail users because you have a few extra watts on board. Some just have to learn the hard way.

Back