Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev!

Similar question about running 2 controllers: Have dual Nucular controllers been used on a dual stator motor? I've seen people separate the 2 stator windings out on the zero motorcycle motors and run 2 controllers. I've also seen the same approach on the dual stator axial flux motenergy motors. Most of these motors are sin/cosine encoders but if fitted with a set of halls and magnets do you think 2 Nuculars would run a single motor? Is there anything about axial flux motors that would make them a bad fit for your controllers?

Any future plans to support sin/cosine motors?

If its a low priority that is fine. You will probably get to it before I can afford it anyway. :wink:

Seems to me most of the motor options in the 25kw and higher range are paired with sevcon controllers. I have no desire to learn how to program one of those. My dream vehicle would be a full size MX bike with a zero motor with 2 of your thermo controllers.

Truth be told maxing out a single thermo nuc on a qs 3k mid motor is probably enough for my skill level but its always nice to plan ahead.

Can this controller work well for a 24v battery? I see the voltage range is 20-90. Will it still work perfectly even if i drain my battery to the 20v limit? These are high power batteries, so i may use the full 300a at times.

Ok great. One more question, do you think the waiting time on the website of 4 months is still accurate, or could it be delayed longer from the virus? I just found this project so i'm not informed on these things.

Hi VasiliSk,

There are just little informations about the BMS on you homepage yet. Are you still open for some ideas / wishes or is the development already in a soon finish state?

My ideas:
- No power flow through the BMS
- The BMS monitors and banlances the battery cels
- The power is switched on with a relay
- There are several thermo sensors (if too hot switch off the relay)
- If Undervolt protection reached switch off relay
- The BMS is not limited to 16 or 24 cells. There can be 17 or 19 ...
- There may be a second relay contact for precharge purposes

This could be a very nice BMS used for alost any discharge current, because there is e relay carring the current.

I was looking at wiring pdf, can the spare io be config for a 3 speed switch and a boost button ?

thanks

So then does 3 speed just set the top speeds or can you setup battery amps and phase amps to each of the separate speeds?

Badger1666 said:
So then does 3 speed just set the top speeds or can you setup battery amps and phase amps to each of the separate speeds?

Yes to both

john61ct said:
Yes, exactly my point, the reason CA is "obsolete" with such modern sophisticated controllers.

The CA is not a motor controller. It cannot add a feature to a motor controller, it can provide information about, and limit the controller, and it can "feed" information to a controller, in a way the controller may not process it on it's own. Throttle curves, power limits, amp limits, speed limits, SOC, speedo and function as a overgrown volt/amp meter as well as providing a wealth of arcane information that has no real world use if your controller is functioning well. Unless it's really important to you to have a real time comparison of amp hours to hamster BTUs. It also does a decent job of blinding you at night, (in either green or orange) takes up space, adds weight, and is marvellous at serving as an additional point (points) of failure. (love those JST connectors) If we lived in a time where you could not adjust controller parameters, it could prevent the controller from drawing too many amps. If the controller only had a on or off type throttle curve, it could mellow that out. Basically though, for those many many people out there who don't own a smart phone with a GPS, it serves as a speedo.

I am not at all saying a CAv3 adds any value to a controller as sophisticated as Nucular. I am no expert on either.

However just to clarify, it does add features missing from most cheap controllers, including the critical limiting ones to prevent burnout as well as all the others you mention..

But, it does not provide any "information" to a controller, there is no "communication" from the CA, it just physically "drives" the controller, feeds a throttle voltage.

And can be run headless, without any display.

Connecting a Magura throttle gives me the first movement no responce. Did someone has the same experience?

john61ct said:
And can be run headless, without any display.

Um. The CA is the head. the display is integrated into the CA. Are you suggesting the CA will function with the LCD desoldered? why even use one then?

I scanned the thread, but may have missed it. What's the difference between the old 6f and the new one?

I was simply pointing out some errors in your post

OneBadWolf said:
It cannot add a feature to a motor controller, it can provide information about, and limit the controller, and it can "feed" information to a controller, in a way the controller may not process it on it's own

OneBadWolf said:
Um. The CA is the head. the display is integrated into the CA. Are you suggesting the CA will function with the LCD desoldered? why even use one then?
If you have to ask that last, either you're just not that familiar with the CAv3 (maybe only previous versions?)

or have only been working with programmable controllers that give you all the features you need.

I was not suggesting soldering nor eliminating anything, just hiding the display away for when programming is needed, or just use it with your smartphone.

Again, I do not know enough about Nucular to argue that CAv3 can add any value here.

And thus it seems a thread derail to discuss it further.

The Grin Tech CAv3 page, plus the user manual layout all its features well. Maybe post any further questions here https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37964

j bjork said:
What is this ca discussion doing in this thread?
The nucular has a display, and you can set it up how you want. I don't see any use for ca here.
Me either, I agree, not sure why he resurrected the question.

Back