Ping battery, Dead?

dequinox

10 kW
I've not got a great sense for what is an acceptable difference in cell voltages for LiFePO4, and was hoping a battery guru could quickly weigh in on whether it's time to recycle (battery is 15 y/o... lol). I've ridden with this thing a few times over the last year without a problem, but when I put it in a wood box and tried the BMS cutoff started hitting at pretty low throttle values.

Max deltaV is 0.267 between cells 3 and 15 in the diagram below:
Ping batt cell Vs.jpgCells 1-8.JPGCells 9-15.JPG

Hillhater said:
After 15 yrs, i think yiu have got your moneys wirth from those. ! :wink:

Especially since they were given to me :lol:
Again... THANK YOU PETE!

john61ct said:
I'll pay for shipping if you want to "recycle" them
Sensing an opportunity are we John? Seriously, batteries are 15 years old. They've been superglue/hotglue "de-puffed" as well. There's another set of 15 cells too... if you're wanting those. I would discuss shipping them all to you if you want.

just to play with

depuffed ones never mind :cool:

In a non-propulsion context 15 years can be just barely broken in, 10,000 cycles still above 90% SoH if well coddled

assuming A123 or equivalent quality

Dunno if the cell models used were ever listed in any of the threads about fixing them over the years
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Ping&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

but there have been plenty of pics if you want to try to figure it out.

I have a 6 year old Ping Pack, hand-made by Mr. Ping, and a 5 year old Ping Pack, made after he sold the business but still worked there. The older pack is in amazing shape - almost like new - and the younger, five year old pack is in about the shape you'd expect a three year old pack to be. No complaints from me, except maybe that the newer pack has a larger vampire drain from the BMS.

Hillhater said:
I am saying that 15 yrs ago, Ping did not use A123 or equivalent cells.
He used cheap cells.!
Wow, interesting!

Maybe I should drop my standards and try them then!

Any feedback on the relative merits of

K2

Headway

VariCore (same as Vbatty same as Liitokala?)

Queen

Goldencell (same as Heter/ENERpower, also Full River?)

Not looking for high C-rates but energy density, and longevity most of all

john61ct said:
just to play with
depuffed ones never mind :cool: ...

Yeah I'm not sure it'd be worth it even for you just to mess with. They are a bear to desolder.

Back