Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Never too late:

https://dalyelec.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2756.trade-order-list.0.0.3caf76e9XMibFs&tracelog=from_orderlist_company

cut and paste into your browser

Does anyone know if the EX Pro with two batteries can deliver 2 x 30 AMPS to the ultra? I think it can with the "combiner" device.

If it can do so, then this Frey EX dual batt model would be a GREAT Candidate to upgrade the controller thru Watt Wagons or Exess since the power system is already 28AH at 52 volts and if it can supply 60 amps...…...2300 watts with 3000 watt bursts would really be fun on a FS bike like this.

I just received the Frey CC bike that I ordered in December, which had a group buy on shipping to the US.

Boy is it heavy! But it works very well. This is the first electric bike I have bought. I tried out some bikes in the local
dealer, from Trek and some other manufacturers. They were definitely lighter, but I feel like the Frey bike is kind of indestructable, it is a beast. Reminds me of the Chevy Blazer I had in high school. I don't mind riding this over washed out roads and I don't mind if it gets beat up. However I would not like to have to pedal it by myself if the battery runs out. It really weighs a ton.

Everything was packed well, and I had no trouble assembling it, even though I don't know much about bicycle maintenance. I need to invest in a torque wrench though, I felt bad about tightening the front axle as it had a torque rating on it.

One minor annoyance, I had ordered fenders, and the rear fender is scraping the tire, and it looks like a pain to
remove it, you need to take the wheel off, which I guess I will have to do at some point anyway in the future to replace brake pads or replace the chain something. In the meantime I cable tied it to the cargo rack to keep it away from the tire.

I am impressed how the bike can fly up a hill, even given how heavy it is. The suspension is great, with the weight and
travel of the shocks, it is possible to be comfortable driving over some really trashed out of the way roads and trails. Like I said, it reminds me of driving a big 1970's American vehicle.

I'm posting my CC updates on EBR (link below if anyone is interested). Cliff notes version: bike is gorgeous, power is fantastic, battery and torque sensing not so much. Hopefully you ordered a spare battery, I did not. I pedaled my ass off today and only got 35 miles range. Hopefully range will increase after a few charges as the cells balance.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/frey-cc.33631/

Care to post the actual weight? I'm curious as I'm sure others are... I checked the mfr page and of course it is not listed.

73 pounds with rack and fenders which jives with Frey spec posted up thread.

Somebody know whats up with Frey customer service. The response is horrible the last month or two.

I was very pleased the first month's with the response but now with a almost one year old bike it's really a bad experience:(

I don't like to publicly say that because i like them as a company, but it's a total disaster and i am getting frustrated.

Lots of Alibaba chat and mails to @frey with no responses...

Seems like they have grown significantly, not just direct to consumer but it looks like they are producing bikes for QuietKat and Jeep, and even Bolton is offering a bike that looks like a rebadged AM1000 with Frey's patented rear suspension. Hopefully they have added support staff to handle.

jeron said:
Jeron, please copy me in, marcel at frey dot bike and I will help follow up.

I will discuss with Ivy to appoint one inside person to be responsible for after sales service........ :D

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
do you have a link for that patent filing.. bc I didn't see it yet;)..

No link, but was mentioned in various articles. I doubt Jeep would risk going with a company that copied FREY's suspension so believe it is FREY making the Jeep ebike and some of the QuietKat models that look identical to FREY's offerings.

brake034 said:
jeron said:
Jeron, please copy me in, marcel at frey dot bike and I will help follow up.

I will discuss with Ivy to appoint one inside person to be responsible for after sales service........ :D

Mail forewarded

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
no links, vids or pics.. so it didn't happen?? sorry I don't have time or poor connection for BS??

It was mentioned here: https://electrek.co/2019/09/16/frey-bike-electric-bicycle-cc-ex-am1000/

Frey Bike has a number of patents on the new models, mostly centering around the suspension linkage.

And here: https://electrek.co/2020/05/14/frey-am1000-e-bike-review-1-5-kw-almost-40-mph/

They’ve also designed their own patented suspension system, meaning they don’t have to pay a license to anyone else to use it.

I don't have any other specifics but I have no reason to doubt Micah who was on the FREY tour (see 4th post of thread). Also, if you look at the Jeep and QuietKat promotional materials they talk about a trademarked Fire Link suspension. It's clearly FREY's AM1000 suspension if you look carefully: https://quietkat.com/jeep-ebike/

jeron said:
Somebody know whats up with Frey customer service. The response is horrible the last month or two.

I was very pleased the first month's with the response but now with a almost one year old bike it's really a bad experience:(

I don't like to publicly say that because i like them as a company, but it's a total disaster and i am getting frustrated.

In the interests of openness, transparency and for current and potential customers, any reason why you wouldn't mention if there is an issue with your bike and if so, what the issue with the bike is? Or maybe it's for a new order?

NoFanBoiz said:
jeron said:

In the interests of openness, transparency and for current and potential customers, any reason why you wouldn't mention if there is an issue with your bike and if so, what the issue with the bike is? Or maybe it's for a new order?

The bike is an absolute dream (AM1000). I have a problem with the charger, the fan is making weird noises. I did wait for Frey to ressolve the issue first.

FredYellow said:
Do any of the Frey bikes come with COC? So they can be ridden legally in Europe?
A COC should not a problem, we can investigate for you, should it be legalized by your embassy in China?

Do you want to go for a one off approval as Speed Pedelec? If so, for which country in Europe?
You can contact me at my e-mail: marcel at frey dot bike

Edit: let me revise this, a Certificate of Conformity for speed pedelecs for EU countries can be issued AFTER homologation, which process Frey has not started yet....... We are investigating the options and discuss this process with a 3rd party.

For any other European country this process is different en for Switzerland Frey's agent has the homologation and supplies all Frey models road legal.

NoFanBoiz said:
jeron said:
The bike is an absolute dream (AM1000). I have a problem with the charger, the fan is making weird noises. I did wait for Frey to ressolve the issue first.

Great feedback, thanks!

Yeah, no problem, i send it first to the wrong email adress apparently. While the Alibaba stays unanswered for too long, the email part was clearly my own mistake... thanks @Marchel for sending it to the @frey.bike one :)

Edit: why is the AM1000 topic locked? How do we unlock this? It's a great place for am1000 owners?

brake034 said:
FredYellow said:
Do any of the Frey bikes come with COC? So they can be ridden legally in Europe?
A COC should not a problem, we can investigate for you, should it be legalized by your embassy in China?

Do you want to go for a one off approval as Speed Pedelec? If so, for which country in Europe?
You can contact me at my e-mail: marcel at frey dot bike

Yes you can contact my embassy in China for this. I'm from Belgium.
The COC (Certificate of Conformity) will be the same for all countries in the EU, so if you do this once it should be good for all european customers.

I would be interested in the AM1000 registered as a speed pedelec.

FredYellow said:
The COC (Certificate of Conformity) will be the same for all countries in the EU, so if you do this once it should be good for all european customers. I would be interested in the AM1000 registered as a speed pedelec.
Ones we decide to start this process, it takes at least a year, as I wrote, we are discussing the possibilities with a 3rd party organization.

For now all Frey's in the EU are in the category: “Vehicles primarily designed for off road use and to travel on unpaved surfaces” which are explicitly excluded from type-approval. Now how a policeman reacts when you drive such a bike on the road on your way to unpaved surfaces.........

jeron said:
NoFanBoiz said:
jeron said:

Did you try blowing into the fan of the charger or shake the charger? Sometimes dust collects or a particle of some sort. It might be better to put a vacuum cleaner on it to suck the debris out. Cheers

Hello all, I purchased a hi end AM 1000 last year and I am hoping to get some help from the members on this message board.
First I am looking to change my cranks from the stock 170mm to 160mm or maybe 150mm. I would also like to change the crank wheel from a 40t to a 46t and lastly I would like to get a new chain. My bike has the SRAM EX1 gears. Can I get some ideas from y'all on parts that work and fit my bike.
Thanks

Back