How to weatherproof bullet connectors?

Timelord

10 W
Total noob question, but any suggestions on how to weatherproof these if they'll never need to be disconnected? I'm thinking a little dielectric grease then heat shrink tubing. Or should I skip the grease?

If Its never going to be disconnected, skip using bullet connectors.
Crimp or splice solder the wires, then liquid insulator or hot melt .
You can buy commercial waterproof connectors for splicing wires.
Bullets + shrink wrap are not waterproof.

For a very small price increase, make sure to get "Marine" heat shrink. Its designed for boats, and it has an internal coating of a heat-activated glue, which seals away the connection from any moisture or oxidation.

Hillhater said:
If Its never going to be disconnected, skip using bullet connectors.
Crimp or splice solder the wires, then liquid insulator or hot melt .
You can buy commercial waterproof connectors for splicing wires.
Bullets + shrink wrap are not waterproof.

That's how the wires come. I don't want to spend time and effort cutting them off and re-splicing.

spinningmagnets said:
For a very small price increase, make sure to get "Marine" heat shrink. Its designed for boats, and it has an internal coating of a heat-activated glue, which seals away the connection from any moisture or oxidation.
relevant, sourcing the good stuff

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106086

Timelord said:
That's how the wires come. I don't want to spend time and effort cutting them off and re-splicing.

Well, at least you'll know where to start looking when things mysteriously stop working on you in future. That should also save you some time :)

Yeah, I guess the companies like EM3EV and Tongsheng who put out wiring harnesses using these connectors are a bunch of idiots, unlike the geniuses here.

When did Endless Sphere become infested with useless cynics? It used to be a helpful forum. At least there are still users like spinningmagnets and john61ct who try to help rather than just loving seeing their own words on the screen.

Timelord said:
Yeah, I guess the companies like EM3EV and Tongsheng who put out wiring harnesses using these connectors are a bunch of idiots, unlike the geniuses here.
Maybe , unlike you, they expect customers will want to disconnect the harness at some time in the future ?
But it doesnt take a genius to consider that possibility !

Hillhater said:
Maybe , unlike you, they expect customers will want to disconnect the harness at some time in the future ?
But it doesnt take a genius to consider that possibility !
Maybe there's another connector in the line that's supposed to be connected and disconnected while the bullet connectors are only there to connect the pigtails. But it doesn't take a genius to know that.

Back