19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

rollingfieldz said:
Does anyone know where to find 24 inch rims wide enough to handle a 3 inch tire? The Dominator looks perfect but everyones out on this side of the atlantic.

https://www.remerx-rims.com/super-jumbo-rmx-8533-4

There are these @ 33mm/40mm

I think cyklonebike uses them on their ebikes you might be able to get them there

Anybody have any opinions or info about these? Just how terribly heavy are they? spoke holes size? will the chrome flake off? Can i spray paint them black?

https://www.treatland.tv/new-RADAELLI-ITALCEICHIO-chrome-deluxe-spoke-rim-p/italceichio-rim-1.35x19.htm

rollingfieldz said:
Anybody have any opinions or info about these? Just how terribly heavy are they? spoke holes size? will the chrome flake off? Can i spray paint them black?

https://www.treatland.tv/new-RADAELLI-ITALCEICHIO-chrome-deluxe-spoke-rim-p/italceichio-rim-1.35x19.htm

I believe these will be way heavier than the standard 19x1.40 aluminum rim as they are made of steel. I you want a "Chrome" look rim, this rim will be better. http://www.prowheelracing.com/yamaha-play-bike-front-rim-1-40-x-19-silver/

Or get the black one. http://www.prowheelracing.com/yamaha-play-bike-front-rim-1-40-x-19-black/

Thanks Rix, I would go with those black ones except they are kinda pricy. But looks like steel is real heavy: "Steel is typically 2.5 times denser than aluminum."

To get the same strength as steel, the aluminum needs to be a bit thicker, so the final weight savings vary by the skill of the design engineer

john61ct said:
To get the same strength as steel, the aluminum needs to be a bit thicker, so the final weight savings vary by the skill of the design engineer

Adding to what John said, because the aluminum rims need to be thicker, it wont be 2.5 times lighter. I can tell you the 19x1.40 prowheel racing hoops weigh in at 2 pounds. So if you get the weight of the steel rim, you can figure the difference.

Anyone here try running the 100/90-19 Continental Conti Twinduro TKC80 FRONT TIRE on either front or back? I'm thinking of using it for both. s-l500.jpg

synics said:
Anyone here try running the 100/90-19 Continental Conti Twinduro TKC80 FRONT TIRE on either front or back? I'm thinking of using it for both. s-l500.jpg

I plan on running the 120/70-17 and the 150/70-17 versions of this tire on the front and rear of my Duke 390.

Rix said:
synics said:

I plan on running the 120/70-17 and the 150/70-17 versions of this tire on the front and rear of my Duke 390.

I'm assuming a non electric version, lol. I actually saw that exact bike in a Target parking lot today. It nice.

I'm running a 19" back rim so my options are limited. But do you think that conti 100/90-19 would work as a good rear for me as opposed to a 3.5x19 sr241? Or even a 2.75x19... 60/40 off road vs road. I'm looking to get something that can handle the weight of the QS273, protect the rim, and perform well off road.

synics said:
Rix said:
synics said:

I'm assuming a non electric version, lol. I actually saw that exact bike in a Target parking lot today. It nice.

I'm running a 19" back rim so my options are limited. But do you think that conti 100/90-19 would work as a good rear for me as opposed to a 3.5x19 sr241? Or even a 2.75x19... 60/40 off road vs road. I'm looking to get something that can handle the weight of the QS273, protect the rim, and perform well off road.

If you want a tire that is slightly more street friendly than the Shinkor SR241, look at the Shinko 2.75-19 SR244. Its about 8 oz heavier than the SR241 same size but it trully a 60/40 Road/Offroad tire. The 100/90-19 Conti is a big tire, and way heavier than the tires listed above, Going to come in at around 4" wide.

Rix said:
synics said:
Rix said:
synics said:

If you want a tire that is slightly more street friendly than the Shinkor SR241, look at the Shinko 2.75-19 SR244. Its about 8 oz heavier than the SR241 same size but it trully a 60/40 Road/Offroad tire. The 100/90-19 Conti is a big tire, and way heavier than the tires listed above, Going to come in at around 4" wide.

I'm talking about using the 100/90-19 Conti FRONT version as a back tire though, which should be less than 3.5" wide. I've read too many bad reviews about the 244, and they don't make it in the right 19" size for my rim.

synics said:
Rix said:
synics said:
Rix said:

I'm talking about using the 100/90-19 Conti FRONT version as a back tire though, which should be less than 3.5" wide. I've read too many bad reviews about the 244, and they don't make it in the right 19" size for my rim.

This tire is going to be a bit bigger than 3.5" wide. I wish you good luck with it. It will definitely protect your rim, I have absolutely ZERO doubt about that :shock: . This tire's sidewalls are so stiff, you can probably run it with a bead lock and 0 PSI.

Rix said:
synics said:
Rix said:
synics said:

This tire is going to be a bit bigger than 3.5" wide. I wish you good luck with it. It will definitely protect your rim, I have absolutely ZERO doubt about that :shock: . This tire's sidewalls are so stiff, you can probably run it with a bead lock and 0 PSI.

oh jeez, not looking for something that hard, lol

synics said:
Rix said:
synics said:
Rix said:

Keep in mind, the 100/90-19 Conti tire is size rated to run on the BMW 1250 GS as a replacement option for the stock OEM tire. Not sure if you have ever ridden BMW's biggest GS adventure with about 130hp, but its a big bike and fast and due to its fuel capacity, its wet weight ready to ride is around 600 pounds. Anyway, its alot of tire for running on a 100-130 pound ebike, even if it is on the rear.

Rix said:
synics said:
Rix said:
synics said:

Keep in mind, the 100/90-19 Conti tire is size rated to run on the BMW 1250 GS as a replacement option for the stock OEM tire. Not sure if you have ever ridden BMW's biggest GS adventure with about 130hp, but its a big bike and fast and due to its fuel capacity, its wet weight ready to ride is around 600 pounds. Anyway, its alot of tire for running on a 100-130 pound ebike, even if it is on the rear.

Thanks Rix, I may just go back to the drawing board and go with the Shinko 3.5x19. Not crazy with how heavy it is, but there's not a lot of options out there for a 19" rim and tires that's over 3" wide.

synics said:
Rix said:
synics said:
Rix said:

Thanks Rix, I may just go back to the drawing board and go with the Shinko 3.5x19. Not crazy with how heavy it is, but there's not a lot of options out there for a 19" rim and tires that's over 3" wide.
Yah, too bad they don't make a 3.00-19 SR241, that would be a really sweet tire for anything in the 5-15kw power range. Tell me about your build, I must have missed it earlier, but you said you had a qs273 motor with what I am assuming is a 1.85 or 2.15 by 19" MC Rim?

Rix said:
synics said:
Rix said:
synics said:

Yah, too bad they don't make a 3.00-19 SR241, that would be a really sweet tire for anything in the 5-15kw power range. Tell me about your build, I must have missed it earlier, but you said you had a qs273 motor with what I am assuming is a 1.85 or 2.15 by 19" MC Rim?

The rim measures 56mm across, I totally forget which Rim size that would be...I know that's a 2.2" measurement. But yes, 19" rim with a 273 motor, 49AH Panasonic battery, Sabvoton 72200. The inside of the swingarm measures 4" at the narrowest part at the front, so I think the 241 3.5x19 would fit in there as it would be a bit further back in the arm at a wider point.

So that rim is classified as a 2.15-19, even though its slightly wider. When I say classified, I mean by "in the size category". I have seen bikes running the 2.75 SR241 and 244 on that wide of rim, but the tire is really flattened out. We are going to have to find you a tire.

Rix, I've literally perused every tire site for like a month, and when I say limited, I mean limited, LOL. That's why I was looking at thicker front tires as a back tire option because there are more 19" tires out there in that category. Everything in the rear tire category seems to be well over 4 inches. :(

synics said:
Rix, I've literally perused every tire site for like a month, and when I say limited, I mean limited, LOL. That's why I was looking at thicker front tires as a back tire option because there are more 19" tires out there in that category. Everything in the rear tire category seems to be well over 4 inches. :(

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53986

Check this old thread out amigo. Its Zombies' Greyborg build with 2.75-19 SR244 on Warp 9 2.15-19 rims, it gives you an idea what a 2.75 wide tire will look like on this wide of a rim. I actually talked to Zombies about his build and he loved the tire rim combo, said it felt super stable and really liked how it rolled. Unfortunately as you eluded to, if you don't go with a 2.75 wide tire, you got to go big then. I did a little research on the Conti Twinduro that you were looking at, it weighs 10 pounds. Thats lighter than other tires in the 100/90-19 catagory, but the 2.75-19 tires can be found all day long in the 5-6 pound weight range.

That's a great thread. Thanks for that. I'm thinking I may just got for the 3.5x19 and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, worst case just throw something else on there. Honestly I'm actually more worried more about changing the tire with that hub cable attached. Gonna be a tricky one. Got the large tire spoons, bead buddy, and rim protectors on order to change my first moto tire. LOL

Back