Newbie needs advice on ebike kit please.

JL71

10 µW
Hi and welcome to you all.
I would like any advice you feel could be of use to me with help in picking suitable kit for me to convert my Cube Ltd Sl 29er to an ebike.
A bit about me:
I'm 6ft and weigh 190lbs, I'm fairly fit in regards to cycling so I am happy to pedal to improve speed/ range and will be mainly riding p.a.s as opposed to throttle ( will use throttle for short bursts if needed though).
The Bike:
The bike is a Cube Ltd sl 29er, it has full shimano XT kit and a Fox fork so all in all a pretty decent spec bike ( hopefully ideal to convert, can anyone see any issues?)

What I'd Like from the kit:

Was looking for a rear wheel hub motor and a battery that fixes to the bottle bosses, does this limit the amount of AH's I will get due to the limited size I could fit there?
Would a frame bag battery be better?
Ideally 48v or 52v battery.
17ah or bigger for at least 25 miles ( ideally 35 miles range would be welcomed).
Speed between 25 - 30 mph and I will pedal ( I will be changing the Xt cranks for a 50tooth road bike version to give me more top speed if possible).

I've seen a kit from a guy who does YouTube videos called the kirbebike kit, it comes with 1500w-2000w motor , controller and all accessories plus a 52v 17ah batter ( LG cells).
I'd upgrade the rim for an extra ,£30 to an Mtx 39 rim.
All in about £820, is this a good kit for the money?
My budget is between ££750 and £900
All advice welcomed.
Thanks.

Could anybody please point me in the right direction to any of the items/ vendors you would recommend to use .
Thank you.

You only need about 1000w, typical of 48 or 52v kits to go as fast as you ask for. For you, while a larger motor could be great fun, you simply don't need to have that much extra weight aboard. The bigger motors are for small motorcycle type performance, or towing trailers, or if you weigh 350 pounds.

A rear motor kit from EM3ev would be a good choice, stellar vendor known for a quality battery.

:thank you for the advice
What is the general opinion on the bbshd running a 52v battery.
Would that be a better choice?
Thanks

BBSHD with a 52V battery is a great combination. It puts out around 1600 watts. I've got about 3000 miles on the one I ride. It was bought from EM3EV two years ago, and I get about 35-40 miles from a 17Ah triangle battery. The donor bike was a Giant Cypress hybrid with 700c wheels. Maximum speed on a level around 35 mph.

A 29er needs a slow winding hub, otherwise it will suck big Amps and overheat easily. A heavy hub is not required for your need, only low KV about 16 lbs DD, or lighter geared hub. DD hub is your best choice if you do a lot of mileage, or daily commuting to work, because of reliability and lower maintenance.

A BBSHD will suit you well too. Those who like to ride bicycle feel love it, in the mountains especially. Easy to build a BB drive bike that is light weight and well balanced.

Thank you to all of you who have taken your time to reply .
Decided I'm going down the DD hub route been scouring the net for 1500-2000w kits and to be honest I'm more confused than ever.
I'm thinking 52v battery and at least 17ah
Looked at em3ev for their batteries and seem a bit pricey but I'm thinking that's because they use quality cells and the build quality is very good, can anyone recommend anywhere else for me to look if you know of any other reputable vendors please?
What type of controller do I need ( 30A, 40A or 50Abms?
Just found a 2020 kit on Ali Express built onto a mtx39 rim complete with 52v17ah Panasonic cell battery for $800 shipped to the uk but I'm a bit scared to order from there as I dont know much about that site.
As anybody else ordered from there?
Can anyone send me a link to a good kit from a trusted seller please?
Thanks again in advance.

i havent gotten ebike stuff on aliexpress, but ive gotten other stuff. its hit or miss, but usually hit. ali is good about refunding if its a miss, though.

It is safe to order from China through aliexpress, if you pay with a credit card that offers online purchase insurance. They will refund if you never receive the order. Aliexpress too, has a good buyer protection if you claim before the expiration date that is set for each purchase. Beware of cheap batteries, if it does look too good to be true, well it isn’t.

Lately though, orders from China had been very long to receive. I have some orders that were made beginning of february, that are just beginning to arrive.

All suppliers seem to have shipping delays right now, but those from China are worse than others.

Buy from reputable aliexpress/alibaba sellers, and definitely dont bother buying a battery from some unknown seller. I'd just pick everything up from one place, like em3ev.com in China, or Lunacycle, or www.ebikes.ca

I've just been reading peoples thoughts on reputable battery vendors and found a few prices, could you please advise if you think the prices are fair or could I get better elsewhere?

Ebikebatteries.co.uk
52v 17.5ah Panasonic NCR18650 GA cells
Copper welded not nickel.
£525
Or
EM3EV
52v 17.1sh 35E cells
£530 delivered to the uk.

Are these good cells as I haven't a clue lol.
Thanks again for your help.

I believe both are similar, with the about the same capacity and life expectation. Not the best cells out there but genuine quality. Buy in the UK if they are stock, you will have them faster.

Thanks for replying
So what are the best cells to look out for then?
What sort of price should I be expecting to pay roughly?
Thanks again.

I like LG, Sony, Samsung.

But, I build with RC lipo for simplicity, performance, and fast charging.

Since you don’t need much power out of batteries, those that you have found are OK. All genuine cells are OK for low power bikes, you just need to avoid cheap Chinese cells.

Back