Tsdz2 firmware open source adapted to vlcd5, vlcd6 and xh18

TSDZ2 Parameter Configurator 2.0 OSF mb.20beta1.B
Where do I find this so I can fill in all the boxes the way I want and then have someone flash it for me?
Is there anything else that needs to be filled out so that when I go to get it flashed it's all ready to go?
THANKS

jeff.page.rides said:
Where do I find this .....
I think you mean the configuration manual for the Java configurator.
You find the manuals on mbrusa's github repo, together with the OSF and the configurator.
There are three manuals, in two languages (EN-IT), for mb.20beta1.B

1. Configuration manual
2. Display Operation manual
3. Additional Operation manual

For understanding the different parameters of the Java configurator, you need the configuration manual.
If you setup all the tabs of the configurator and enter "compile and flash", there will be saved an xxx.ini file with your preffered settings inside the directory "experimental settings" If you want you can rename this ini file for better recognizability.

Elinx said:
jeff.page.rides said:
You find the manuals on mbrusa's github repo, together with the OSF and the configurator.

1. Configuration manual

For understanding the different parameters of the Java configurator, you need the configuration manual.
If you setup all the tabs of the configurator and enter "compile and flash", there will be saved an xxx.ini file with your preffered settings inside the directory "experimental settings" If you want you can rename this ini file for better recognizability.

THANKS, I WILL TRY LATER THIS WEEK.

Hi everyone. After doing another 100miles on my new settings i thought i'd share just in case people were interested in riding the way i do as I think a lot of people just seem to want huge amounts of power and assist whereas i see just a little boost to my natural riding speed as the goal for me, with the option for more if i'm late or cba. So i can either get a really good workout in or coast to work fairly easily.

I have a 36v system with 10ah battery mounted on an old road/racing bike, carbon frame, drop bars vlcd 5. Wheel circumference set for my 700c 25 tyres. have 42t front and 8 speed 11-33 on the back. Barely find I need the lower 3 gears even on eco though mostly flat-ish.

I used the default settings initially and did really enjoy them but felt there was too much gap inbetween the lowest eco setting where i felt quite a lot of assist and it being off where the motor drag felt quite significant. Wanted to be able to cycle it like it was just a normal race bike as i have just the one bike. Would consider removing turbo and adding an even lower assist mode instead but probably never use it. I've tried a few different settings and settled on the below. I now find turbo will take me about 25 miles total. Eco ran down about 20-30% of the battery on my commute so probably take me about 75 miles depending on the terrain. Its largely flat with one decent hill in each direction (13 miles each way). I cycle on power assist mode not torque assist.

Any questions or tips to improve from the people who know more please let me know!!!

Capture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

7lucky7 said:
...After doing another 100miles on my new settings i thought i'd share just in case people were interested in riding the way i do ..
Thanks for your feedback.
But, now you have tried and configure the assist settings, can you answer your own question you did before.
7lucky7 said:
3 - are these power assist modes similar to the ones in the factory settings ? (just so i can have an idea about what i should expect vs factory settings).......

I'd say it runs a million miles better and feels much more natural. Because I'm using power assist not torque assist it doesn't give as big jolts of power like you do on the original factory firmware and sport or turbo settings when you stood on the pedals. I didn't particularly like that because it felt really powerful off the mark but not as much use when really cruising along.

I think this is partly due to the increased cadence which if you road cycle anyway means the original firmware is kind of annoying as it gets you going but tops out just as you hit your natural rhythm.
I haven't used the MTB or cadence modes as to me the power being proportional to my effort is important in maintaining a bit of natural feed back. I will want it to feel hard to go faster. I don't want to ride a moped and I don't need any more power than this gives me in any situation I ride in (but I have never tried a big 750w 48v motor)

jeff.page.rides said:
Elinx said:
jeff.page.rides said:

1. Configuration manual

THANKS, I WILL TRY LATER THIS WEEK.

So I just looked over the 3 manuals that you wanted me to look at. The part that I don't understand is how do I turn on the grey Java configurator that everyone keeps taking pictures of so I can put the settings in.

jeff.page.rides said:
...... I don't understand is how do I turn on the grey Java configurator that everyone keeps taking pictures of so I can put the settings in.
I was under the impression that you were already one step further and wanted to know the function of the parameters.
For this question, I refer to the wiki, which lists the basics.
Java Runtime Environment need to be installed to work with the java configurator.
If that is the case, you can startup the configurator with the file "JavaConfigurator.jar"

For compiling and flashing you need also some software,
SDCC and ST Visual Development, but that was also the case with KTlcd3 build.
It is advisable to install this software into the root of C:/ for an easy install of OSF with the "compile & flash" button
Otherwise you must edit some bat-files to change the directory path to that software.

Yes, you have to unzip the latest version and then you can launch the configurator with the command line
Code:
java -jar JavaConfigurator.jar
and it will create the config.h under the subdirectory src/controller by clicking on "Compiling and Flash" button. It will work also on OS/X and Linux. In fact, the Compiling phase will be executed only if you already installed the various softwares and the Flashing phase only if your laptop is connected to the TSDZ2 motor via the ST-Link V2 USB cable. If the software is not installed yet, a click on "Compiling and Flah" will create the config.h and won't go further (or claim!). That's all you need: config.h .

In order to go further, you need the (GPL licensed) compiler sdcc to compile the main.c (using the file config.h just created) in order to get the file main.ihx (that will be flashed to the motor controller). Remark: the Makefile_windows could be used for OS/X and Linux (not the Makefile_Linux which refers to older tools) in order to link the main object (main.rel) with the other objects of motor.rel, ebike_app.rel etc. which produce main.ihx (for Intel Hexadecimal).

You need the ST-Link V2 USB hardware and the stm8flash tool (also GPL licensed) to backup the original firmware (the -r for read)
Code:
stm8flash -c stlinkv2 -p stm8s105?6 -r TSDZ_orig-current.bin
and then the same tool stm8flash to flash (the -w for write). For example you can flash back the original firmware to verify that nothing changed:
Code:
stm8flash -c stlinkv2 -p stm8s105?6 -w TSDZ_orig-current.bin
and then you can flash the new file, main.ihx, that you built with the similar command
Code:
stm8flash -c stlinkv2 -p stm8s105?6 -w main.ihx
If it takes some seconds to upload, it means that the flashing was correct. On Windows, you can install ST Visual Development after accepting their license, as described on the Windows wiki.

Regard,
Revher

revher said:
Yes, you have to unzip the latest version and then you can launch the configurator with the command line
Code:
and it will create the config.h under the subdirectory src/controller by clicking on "Compiling and Flash" button. It will work also on OS/X and Linux...........
Thanks for this additional detailed information. Maybe it should be added to the wiki too. Specially too for OS/X and Linux users.

I only have some doubts about config.h if you use the "compile & flash" button. After startup the configurator the default xx.ini values will be loaded. So imho if you push "compile & flash" these values will be loaded inside config.h first.

Elinx said:
revher said:
Code:
and it will create the config.h under the subdirectory src/controller by clicking on "Compiling and Flash" button. It will work also on OS/X and Linux...........
Thanks for this additional detailed information. Maybe it should be added to the wiki too. Specially too for OS/X and Linux users.

I only have some doubts about config.h if you use the "compile & flash" button. After startup the configurator the default xx.ini values will be loaded. So imho if you push "compile & flash" these values will be loaded inside config.h first.
Yes, the default .ini will create a default config.h which can be dangerous to flash.

Stancecoke made his wiki "open to everyone" on GitHub and that the reason why I already made the OS/X and Linux page. But when his wiki have been "ported" to mbrusa wiki, it has been deteriorated with loss of links and I can't edit and fix it anymore.
So please mbrusa, open the wiki for editing.

Revher

revher said:
Elinx said:
revher said:
Code:

Yes, the default .ini will create a default config.h which can be dangerous to flash.

Stancecoke made his wiki "open to everyone" on GitHub and that the reason why I already made the OS/X and Linux page. But when his wiki have been "ported" to mbrusa wiki, it has been deteriorated with loss of links and I can't edit and fix it anymore.

Revher

Thanks to both of you for all this information. I don't flash my own TSDZ2 I have electrifybike.com do the flashing. I just wanted to put in all the settings so all they need to do is flash the TSDZ2. Is it possible to just put in all the settings then save the fill and then give them the file with my desired settings so they can flash them? I would suggest that all this information should be posted so it can be found and used anytime by everyone.
:bigthumb:

jeff.page.rides said:
Is it possible to just put in all the settings then save the fill and then give them the file with my desired settings

Yes, you can do your settings in the Java configurator, then press Copile&Flash. This will cause an error message in the command window, but that doesn't matter. A file with the recent timestamp and the ending .ini will be created in the folder "experimental setting" (see the right area of the Java configurator window). You can rename it in the windows explorer to something like "mySetting.ini" and send it to your service partner. He has to save it in his folder "Proven settings", then he can click on it in the java tool to read in and flash your settings.

regards
stancecoke

stancecoke said:
I've deleted my fork now, so mbrusas fork is listed direcly under the main project now.
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/network/members

As a big fan of direct drive hub motors, I won't contribute to this project any more :D

regards
stancecoke
Nice to see you again stancecoke. Can you explain us briefly the advantage of a direct drive hub motor compared to the Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid-motor. Regards,
revher

Hi can someone please check these settings for a novice please before I flash the controller.
I have tsdz2 750w with throttle and a 48v battery 13ah and I have 700c wheels.I mainly use the bike on solid trails cycle paths etc.
cheers for any advice.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Hi,
battery voltage cut off, must be set at 39 V for 48 Volt battery.

Attachments

• cut off.jpg
    cut off.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,426
Are there any fundamental differences between this and LCD3 firmware? I know this had a different feeling when marcoq was developing it despite being a "fork" of the casainho firmware (when it was still 0.19). But since now mbrusa ported it are they practically the same?

revher said:

Revher
Revher, thanks for your collaboration.
Now the wiki is open.

Perhaps when starting the configurator the first time, it is appropriate to remember "check and modify the setting parameters before pressing the Compile_&_Flash button" with a warning?

Regards

revher said:
Can you explain us briefly the advantage of a direct drive hub motor compared to the Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid-motor.
Hm, this has been discussed thousand times already, it is more a "religious" question than a technical one. The middrive motor has only advantages at long and steep ascents.
In all other situations, a hub motor is the better choice.
In my eyes the main positive property is, that a direct drive is absolutely noiseless and more ore less unbreakable, as it has no gears or other rotating parts, except the hub itself. There's just a magic hand that pushes you without making any noise :).

No wear of gears or chain. Another advantage is the high speed, you can achieve. Most bikes with a top speed >40km/h are direct drives. The power you need for that high speed is not suited to be transmitted by a normal bike chain.

regards
stancecoke

btslo said:
Are there any fundamental differences between this and LCD3 firmware? I know this had a different feeling when marcoq was developing it despite being a "fork" of the casainho firmware (when it was still 0.19). But since now mbrusa ported it are they practically the same?
The firmware is basically the same for LCD3.
In addition to the changes needed to adapt the stock displays, the other differences are:
- "fix overrun" for a quick stop of the motor when you stop pedaling (I also released a version for LCD3 with this modification).
- I added new parameters that affect the motor and the assistance, "Motor ramp down additional", "Pedal torque adc range", "Pedal torque adc adjustment". For clarifications, check the manuals.

stancecoke said:
revher said:
Can you explain us briefly the advantage of a direct drive hub motor compared to the Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid-motor.
Hm, this has been discussed thousand times already, it is more a "religious" question than a technical one. The middrive motor has only advantages at long and steep ascents.
In all other situations, a hub motor is the better choice.
In my eyes the main positive property is, that a direct drive is absolutely noiseless and more ore less unbreakable, as it has no gears or other rotating parts, except the hub itself. There's just a magic hand that pushes you without making any noise :).

No wear of gears or chain. Another advantage is the high speed, you can achieve. Most bikes with a top speed >40km/h are direct drives. The power you need for that high speed is not suited to be transmitted by a normal bike chain.
I think you forgot to mention one advantage that I really loved when I used hub motors:

- ebrake / regen -- this is also kind of magic, I also own an electric car since 7 years ago and ebrake / regen is really amazing. This is also what makes possible hoverboards and electric unicycles to brake, like magic, no mechanical brakes.

I think you also did not mention some advantages of mid drive motors:
- smaller and lighter -- for MTB, Enduro, road cycling, I think that a smaller and lighter motor is a must as also having this weight on the bottom bracket and not on the middle of rear wheel or front wheel. For instance on MTB, execute Bunny Hop technique is very important to quick pass obstacles like roots, or endo on tight corners. The lighter the bicycle, the easy to do this type of important techniques.

mbrusa said:
The firmware is basically the same for LCD3.
In addition to the changes needed to adapt the stock displays, the other differences are:
- "fix overrun" for a quick stop of the motor when you stop pedaling (I also released a version for LCD3 with this modification).
- I added new parameters that affect the motor and the assistance, "Motor ramp down additional", "Pedal torque adc range", "Pedal torque adc adjustment". For clarifications, check the manuals.
Mbrusa, I've got both a LCD3 and the version here for the VLCD5 but I have to say that the engine over run is much worse on the latter software than the original V20 Beta 1 on the LCD3.

Firstly how can I check I have the latest version of the software ?

Im trying to get the flashing software to work now but I had some problems installing ST Tools. It woul not install directly to C: drive it kept popping up errors, so I just made a folder named tsdz2. I have edited the flash.bat file so it points to that folder. But I am still getting this error like it doesnt seem to find the correct path when I press compile and flash. I have attached a screenshot below. It basically says it STVP_Cmdline is not recognized as a command or executable file. This is probably a really noobish problem but I would appreciate if someone coul point out what I have done wrong. Thanks.

Attachments

• tsd2 error.JPG
    tsd2 error.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,375
Waynemarlow said:
Mbrusa, I've got both a LCD3 and the version here for the VLCD5 but I have to say that the engine over run is much worse on the latter software than the original V20 Beta 1 on the LCD3.

Firstly how can I check I have the latest version of the software ?
Waynemarlow, I don't have an LCD3 to do the comparison, I tried not to change the motor code, but with "fix overrun" there can be a difference.
The "fix overrun" modification can cause resistance when starting or accelerating (as if the brakes are applied), this can be remedied by increasing the "Motor ramp down additional" value up to 20.
This slightly increases the overrun time but avoids this inconvenience.
Inadvertently I left the default value of this parameter at 1 which is too low. Now I changed it to 8, it's the least I recommend.
If you notice other differences between the two versions using the same settings, let me know what they are.

To check if you have the latest version, in the main folder of the repository there is the commits.txt file with the list of changes.
The version (number, date and description of the last of the commits) is now displayed in the configurator at the top right.

Back