TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

Hello , I set in conf menu torque, it is great, but is little issue, after power on motor unprovoked starts few seconds. FW 1.0.0-beta1.

AZUR said:
Hi,

I forgot to mention it in the last post, but the Garmin Remote doesn't always work well. I do not know why.
I use it mainly to change the Garmin screen, as the Garmin touch screen doesn't work very well with gloves.
Sometimes I have to press the Remote key more than once to be able to change the screen.
Sorry, i have the same Garmin Remote to change screens on my Edge 1000. It works fine! Without problems.

redwater said:
Hello , I set in conf menu torque, it is great, but is little issue, after power on motor unprovoked starts few seconds. FW 1.0.0-beta1.
Do you have assistance without pedal rotation enabled also? At high assistance levels, 15 and higher for me, I sometimes get the motor to move just with pedal weight if I have this enabled. I also only use torque mode.

I have disabled assistance w/o pedal rotation. I think and maybe the reason for this is different weight of right and left pedal.

mallesepp said:
Sorry, i have the same Garmin Remote to change screens on my Edge 1000. It works fine! Without problems.
Yes, I think Azur is unluck, probably with a damaged unit. I don't think an expensive brand like Garmin would put on market a device that would not work in good conditions.

Can you please explain why and how you use your GPS cycling computer, is on the same bicycle with TSDZ2? What do you do with your TSDZ2 bicycle?

Long time user of the tsdz but first time posting. I have put about 1500 miles / 2400 km on my first unit. With the last 1000 miles on the open source 0.2 with the lds3.

I recently learned that this unit does indeed have limits and should use the temp sensor mod. I had the parts but kept putting it off as my build was stable. A few weeks of a daily climb up gaining 1500 vertical ft tough me a lesson about heat dissipation. I think the windings in the motor melted and shorted, then caused the mosfets to blowout in the controller.

IMG_20200511_102903__small.jpg

New motor, controller, and blue gear later. I have rebuilt my drive and did the thermal and temp sensor mods. Installed both the 860c and 1.0 build.

Now I am having some trouble with test rides. I was able to ride around the block a few times no issue. Then I started getting an error code '1' showing between level number and the speed. The speed also starts to show all kinds of changing numbers.

At the time I was pushing the unit hard watching the temp graph. Now a few days later, I started to go for a ride and hardly touched the petals going down hill and the '1' message returned and almost all power cut out. I turned off the temp sensor to see if it helps, but same behavior.

Have not done other recommendations like calibrate the pressure sensors. Wondering if it might have been damaged in the overheat event. Tested the technical screen and see the values change as expected for cadence left/right and torque sensor.

Any ideas? I could not find a good index of error codes for the casainho firmware.

casainho said:
I just bought the nRF52840 MDK USB Dongle that was the small, cheap I could found but with good documentation.

And I found a library for NRF52 that implements the ANT+ LEV (ebike) profile.

i bought that one too. lets see if it works with this Arduino library. going with ardiuno would be nice, because it is very simple to get started with.

connecting with Bluetooth and ANT at the same time should work right?

https://github.com/sandeepmistry/arduino-nRF5 the dongle is supported.

casainho said:
mallesepp said:
Yes, I think Azur is unluck, probably with a damaged unit. I don't think an expensive brand like Garmin would put on market a device that would not work in good conditions.

Can you please explain why and how you use your GPS cycling computer, is on the same bicycle with TSDZ2? What do you do with your TSDZ2 bicycle?
I have two bikes! Roadrace and eMtb mit TSDZ2. Roadrace a drive fast and hard! eMtb next day to recover! I sent all my trips to garmin account! GPS cycling computer also i use for saved trips on it and follow this.

mallesepp said:
I have two bikes! Roadrace and eMtb mit TSDZ2. Roadrace a drive fast and hard! eMtb next day to recover! I sent all my trips to garmin account! GPS cycling computer also i use for saved trips on it and follow this.
So do you use your GPS cycling computer also on your eMtb with TSDZ2? If so, had you wish to have TSDZ2 sending data as a field and control it from your GPS cycling computer and avoid the TSDZ2 display?
And which TSDZ2 display are you using?

plasmdude said:
Now I am having some trouble with test rides. I was able to ride around the block a few times no issue. Then I started getting an error code '1' showing between level number and the speed. The speed also starts to show all kinds of changing numbers.
That is very strange, please take a picture and share here.

casainho said:
I have a strange issue with my TSDZ2 measuring battery voltage with about less 10V and also the value oscillates like +-1 volts.

I tested the same battery on another TSDZ2 and vice-versa and yes, the issue is not the battery (even because I measured with a multimeter as also the BMS has Bluetooth and shows me each cell voltage and total).

What I found is when the battery of 52V is about half empty, I get a lot of system suddenly and I also feel power cut until suddenly the system turns off.

Yes, I am doing a lot of development and testing with my TSDZ2 and I wounder if the issue could be the internal capacitor damaged / not working anymore - recently other users wrote about this possibility because of quick currents when connecting the battery terminals - which happens to me a lot because for development I do that a lot.

Any ideas? Anyone had the same issue?
Oh men, I lost so much time to disassembly my battery pack and then my motor and testing, to finally understand the issue was on the firmware, on a change from a suggestion done previously here, to reduce the ADC clock -- for some reason, reducing to a value as suggested on the datasheet, I get battery voltage values lower and also oscillating, so, I will keep with the code that was working:

Code:
  //init ADC1 peripheral
  ADC1_Init(ADC1_CONVERSIONMODE_SINGLE,
      ADC1_CHANNEL_7,
      ADC1_PRESSEL_FCPU_D2,  // this always worked
//      ADC1_PRESSEL_FCPU_D3, // this makes reads battery voltage oscillating and lower from real value: ADC max possible frequency is 6MHz @VCC 5V. 16MHz / 3 = 5.33MHz
      ADC1_EXTTRIG_TIM,
      DISABLE,
      ADC1_ALIGN_LEFT,
      (ADC1_SCHMITTTRIG_CHANNEL3 | ADC1_SCHMITTTRIG_CHANNEL5 | ADC1_SCHMITTTRIG_CHANNEL6 | ADC1_SCHMITTTRIG_CHANNEL7),
            DISABLE);

Trying to install this an a sw102 for the first time, but the wiki seems broken :(
"Download the latest version of the firmware from here. You will only need the `sw102-full-x.y.z.hex` file for now. "
on https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Flash-the-bootloader-and-firmware-on-SW102-using-SWD#Standalone_flash_method_Windows_only
Leads to https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki rather than the firmware.

"For Windows we packed a stand alone flash program. Download this zip file and unzip it somewhere on your computer. Download the latest full version hex file from https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/SW102_LCD_Bluetooth/releases into the unzipped "SW102_First_Install_Windows" folder."
The first link leads here https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki and not to a zip file.
The second link is to firmware from 08 2019.

Are there any instructions that are complete and work, or do I give up?

Mr.Flibble said:
Trying to install this an a sw102 for the first time, but the wiki seems broken :(
"Download the latest version of the firmware from here. You will only need the `sw102-full-x.y.z.hex` file for now. "
on https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Flash-the-bootloader-and-firmware-on-SW102-using-SWD#Standalone_flash_method_Windows_only
Leads to https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki rather than the firmware.

"For Windows we packed a stand alone flash program. Download this zip file and unzip it somewhere on your computer. Download the latest full version hex file from https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/SW102_LCD_Bluetooth/releases into the unzipped "SW102_First_Install_Windows" folder."
The first link leads here https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki and not to a zip file.

Get the .zip file from here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike...ang_LCD_SW102/SW102_First_Install_Windows.zip

And the .hex file is old but it works, just use 0.19.12 or 0.19.9 and then you update the latest version by Bluetooth.

casainho said:
plasmdude said:
That is very strange, please take a picture and share here.

Here is a clip of the issue. Can reproduce with just a kick or two on the petals and lifting the back. On the road when this happens the power drops to almost zero and kicks in for slight bursts.

https://youtu.be/p7hAIck0ElA

Also noticed an issue with the startup boost. At start up I would get no motor power for 3 seconds then would fade power in. Disabling the startup boost made that issue go away, guessing that I misconfigured the settings. Only after this did I start seeing the issue with the '1'.

Going to try rolling back to earlier version to see if the issue goes away. What previous version would be a solid stable release? 860C_850C_SW102_v0.8.0?

casainho said:
mallesepp said:
So do you use your GPS cycling computer also on your eMtb with TSDZ2? If so, had you wish to have TSDZ2 sending data as a field and control it from your GPS cycling computer and avoid the TSDZ2 display?
Yes i use my edge 1000 also with eMtb with TSDZ2. Yes i wish that comunicate TSDZ2 with Garmin Edge 1000. It would be great for me if i get Data from TSDZ2 and Control it from Edge 1000. I use 860C Display. I have Powermeter on Race Bycicle. Its would be great if i get human power from TSDZ2 on my Garmin cycling computer.

plasmdude said:
Here is a clip of the issue. Can reproduce with just a kick or two on the petals and lifting the back. On the road when this happens the power drops to almost zero and kicks in for slight bursts.

[youtube]p7hAIck0ElA[/youtube]

Also noticed an issue with the startup boost. At start up I would get no motor power for 3 seconds then would fade power in. Disabling the startup boost made that issue go away, guessing that I misconfigured the settings. Only after this did I start seeing the issue with the '1'.

Going to try rolling back to earlier version to see if the issue goes away. What previous version would be a solid stable release? 860C_850C_SW102_v0.8.0?
What seems to be happening is the system reading incorrectly, over 99 km/h the wheel speed. I think the issue can be:
1. magnet may be to near the sensor speed
2. sensor speed with some problem
3. wrong configuration of wheel size??
4. issue on the firmware

BOOST feature need to be revised. I would not trust on it right now.

You should try the previous version: 860C_850C_SW102_v1.0.0-alpha.5

ilu said:
Mr.Flibble said:

Get the .zip file from here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike...ang_LCD_SW102/SW102_First_Install_Windows.zip

And the .hex file is old but it works, just use 0.19.12 or 0.19.9 and then you update the latest version by Bluetooth.

Thanks.
Not getting a connection now, and intermittently a connection but it times out waiting for a response...... :(

mallesepp said:
casainho said:
mallesepp said:
Yes i use my edge 1000 also with eMtb with TSDZ2. Yes i wish that comunicate TSDZ2 with Garmin Edge 1000. It would be great for me if i get Data from TSDZ2 and Control it from Edge 1000. I use 860C Display. I have Powermeter on Race Bycicle. Its would be great if i get human power from TSDZ2 on my Garmin cycling computer.
I see. So on your handle bar you have 860C display and Edge 1000, which both have similar sizes and are big ones!!

I see you would have advantage in not have to buy 860C display and reuse the same display for both road and MTB bicycles, with the most important that is to have the same fitness metrics on both bicycles because you would be sharing the same Garmin device that measures them - yes, we can not expect the TSDZ2 torque sensor to be so good at measuring pedal power as a commercial pedals but I think it will anyway output some good approximation.

The way I see this happening for fully wireless TSDZ2 ebike (needs the implementation of a small electronic board and firmware, as also mobile app) :
1. Bluetooth mobile app for configurations
(firmware and mobile app development): use at least once Bluetooth mobile app to configure the TSDZ2 ebike configurations: the same as actual configurations on the display.
2. ANT+ Light electric vehicles (EBike) (firmware development): implements ANT+ Light electric vehicles (LEVs) profile that sends typical ebike data as also permits typical control of the ebike. Note that you need to have an ANT+ remote control on your handle bar and paired with your Garmin Edge to be able to control the ebike, like changing the assist level.

image.png

3. ANT+ Bicycle Power sensor (firmware development): implements ANT+ Bicycle Power profile that transmits Power-only data, Torque, Cadence and Speed data.

image.png

COSTS

Current costs for TSDZ2 with 860C display: 80€.

Option for MTB medium cost
1. Wireless TSDZ2 board -- 35€ and very easy to DIY: Bluetooth and ANT+, small black box and to be connected on the TSDZ2 display connector.
2. Wireless GPS cycling computer Garmin Edge 130 -- 150€.
3. Wireless Remote control -- 55€ (38€ the remote + 16€ the support).

TOTAL cost: +160€ compared to use 860C display. Only use this wireless option instead of regular 860C if user values the robustness of wireless (no cables to break on a fall) and the extra metrics given by the GPS cycling computer.
Note that if user may already have 2. and 3. and then the cost would be half then installing 860C display.

Option for most cheap city ebike, MTB, etc
1. Wireless TSDZ2 board -- 35€ and very easy to DIY: Bluetooth and ANT+, small black box and to be connected on the TSDZ2 display connector.
2. Wireless Remote control -- 55€ (38€ the remote + 16€ the support).

TOTAL cost: +10€ compared to use 860C display. Only use this wireless option instead of regular 860C if user values the robustness of wireless (no cables to break on a fall) and probably a clean installation (good to avoid attraction to thieves, even because the remote can be easily removed so not way to start the motor).

The most small and cheap GPS display would be the Edge 130 model, that seems to be relatively small and have a very good reading at sunlight. It also have good specific mounts for road bikes and MTB:

[youtube]8mPWSEpaIBo[/youtube]

We can take much more value from Edge 130 than 860C display although the price is not much more:
image.png

There are on the market more options for ANT+ LEV GPS cycling computers (all of them will work!!) and there is one that costs 62€ - Coachsmart LEV:

image.png

casainho said:
What seems to be happening is the system reading incorrectly, over 99 km/h the wheel speed. I think the issue can be:
1. magnet may be to near the sensor speed
2. sensor speed with some problem
3. wrong configuration of wheel size??
4. issue on the firmware

IMG_20200520_121946__small.jpg

It would seem to be an IO Error, idiot operator. Adjusting both sensor and wheel size solved the issue.

The speed sensor is almost touching the magnet, rotating the sensor off axis helped a lot. When rebuilding my bike I stripped everything off including the speed sensor. When I put it back on I was trying to use up all the slack in the wire and this its so far back.

I had the wheel size set for 2100mm but have 26in x 1.9 tires. Looks like it should be more like 2055.

Still should probably take some more time for more accurate measurements and calibration. Next on my todo is to measure the real circumference with a cloth tape. Then calibrate my torque sensors.

Cheers!

plasmdude said:

I noticed the same problem, additionally I noticed that sometimes the system loses power and the maximum support is 200 W, the power reset returns to normal. in general, I do not like to ride on 1.0.0 alpha and beta, the battery consumes faster, despite the field weakening turned off, low power support in the low cadence compared to 0.8.0. Currently I have sent 0.8.0 and I leave it until the end of the project :)

From what I can tell, the logic behind the enable /disable on startup boost is reversed.

All the settings are taken into account and you get a boost if you leave it disabled.

I agree with the battery drain, 1.0.0 beta is heavy on the battery, but at the expense of power being available at lower cadance, for me anyway. It is very good and powerful firmware if you have limited or no gears.

casainho said:
mallesepp said:
casainho said:
mallesepp said:
I see. So on your handle bar you have 860C display and Edge 1000, which both have similar sizes and are big ones!!

I see you would have advantage in not have to buy 860C display and reuse the same display for both road and MTB bicycles, with the most important that is to have the same fitness metrics on both bicycles because you would be sharing the same Garmin device that measures them - yes, we can not expect the TSDZ2 torque sensor to be so good at measuring pedal power as a commercial pedals but I think it will anyway output some good approximation.

The way I see this happening for fully wireless TSDZ2 ebike (needs the implementation of a small electronic board and firmware, as also mobile app) :
(firmware and mobile app development): use at least once Bluetooth mobile app to configure the TSDZ2 ebike configurations: the same as actual configurations on the display.

2. ANT+ Light electric vehicles (EBike) (firmware development): implements ANT+ Light electric vehicles (LEVs) profile that sends typical ebike data as also permits typical control of the ebike. Note that you need to have an ANT+ remote control on your handle bar and paired with your Garmin Edge to be able to control the ebike, like changing the assist level.

image.png

3. ANT+ Bicycle Power sensor (firmware development): implements ANT+ Bicycle Power profile that transmits Power-only data, Torque, Cadence and Speed data.

image.png

COSTS

TOTAL cost: +160€ compared to use 860C display. Only use this wireless option instead of regular 860C if user values the robustness of wireless (no cables to break on a fall) and the extra metrics given by the GPS cycling computer.
Note that if user may already have 2. and 3. and then the cost would be half then installing 860C display.

TOTAL cost: +10€ compared to use 860C display. Only use this wireless option instead of regular 860C if user values the robustness of wireless (no cables to break on a fall) and probably a clean installation (good to avoid attraction to thieves, even because the remote can be easily removed so not way to start the motor).

The most small and cheap GPS display would be the Edge 130 model, that seems to be relatively small and have a very good reading at sunlight. It also have good specific mounts for road bikes and MTB:

We can take much more value from Edge 130 than 860C display although the price is not much more:
image.png

There are on the market more options for ANT+ LEV GPS cycling computers (all of them will work!!) and there is one that costs 62€ - Coachsmart LEV:

image.png

This sounds very interesting.

rcx194 said:
Hi. I thought I'd share an small unfortunate experience, just in case anyone else makes the same mistake. I'm new to 'leccy bikes, and I bought the TSDZ2 so that I can manage the 14 mile cycle to work. Fitted the kit, then flashed the motor and 860C display with the open source firmware. Took it out for a test ride and it was fantastic. Got home and decided to get on with adding the brake sensor and shortening the loom a bit for a better fit to the bike. Disconnected the battery first and started soldering. Noticed I'd connected two of the wires wrong, unsoldered them and corrected. Reconnected battery only to get an RX error on the display.

So it turns out I've fried both the display and motor controller. Neither are responding to the PC any more.

I had disconnected the battery but not disconnected the loom from the motor. Maybe there's a capacitor in there which damaged the devices when connected wrong.

It's a lesson learnt for me, might be worth mentioning on the wiki though to ensure others fully disconnect the loom before working on it.
Bit of extra info. It turns out only the 860C display had blown and not the motor controller (fault with my ST Link made it look like both had blown).

I have another question, I think I read somewhere that the 48v TSDZ2 motor will run on a 36v pack when using the Open Source firmware. But can't find that info again to confirm. Can anyone advise?

I also solved my speed sensor issue, where the magnet was too close to the sensor and gave wierd results. My bike frame didn't have a suitable position for the sensor to mount at the right distance from the magnet. I found that I could use a file to deepen the groove in the plastic on the back of the magnet. There's enough plastic there that I could file out another 1.5mm and now the magnet is at the right distance. Quick and neat solution.

Also now running the latest Beta firmware and all works nice.

A wireless setup like this would be assume. I have a Garmin 830 and my iphone on my trike already. Would be great to remove the display and some wires and just have a small box attached next to the motor.

Let me know if you need a beta tester.

casainho said:
mallesepp said:
casainho said:
mallesepp said:

image.png

image.png

COSTS

image.png

image.png

I started a new thread for which I hope will be the next new big version of this firmware - here the forum thread:

Fully wireless ANT+ BLE TSDZ2 mid drive motor (like Specialized Turbo Levo) -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Brlowe said:
A wireless setup like this would be assume. I have a Garmin 830 and my iphone on my trike already. Would be great to remove the display and some wires and just have a small box attached next to the motor.

Let me know if you need a beta tester.
Thanks for the feedback. Subscribe the new thread.

Back