Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?

IIRC, you can use anything as a cadence sensor, including a normal PAS. The Speedict just counts the pulses. You tell it how many pulses per turn. The speed sensor works exactly the same.

d8veh said:
IIRC, you can use anything as a cadence sensor, including a normal PAS. The Speedict just counts the pulses. You tell it how many pulses per turn. The speed sensor works exactly the same.

What's a "normal PAS"?

Note that I'm a TSDZ2 rider... My bikes have a torque sensor inside them.

The guy, Danny, at Speedict sent me an image of the sensor they ... sell?! (he hasn't given me a price after asking twice) and it has a ring with what look like some magnets and the center of it has in-going fingers... Not sure how they intend for you to attach it. And it has a wire with a normal looking connector on one end and a big loop on the other end - not sure what the idea is there - maybe the image is WAY out of scale?

Not sure why Danny has been so coy about it. He said they were thinking of pulling the product to merge that function into Neptune and my reaction was, "Noooooooooooooo!" :shock:

RTIII said:
d8veh said:

What's a "normal PAS"?

Note that I'm a TSDZ2 rider... My bikes have a torque sensor inside them.

The guy, Danny, at Speedict sent me an image of the sensor they ... sell?! (he hasn't given me a price after asking twice) and it has a ring with what look like some magnets and the center of it has in-going fingers... Not sure how they intend for you to attach it. And it has a wire with a normal looking connector on one end and a big loop on the other end - not sure what the idea is there - maybe the image is WAY out of scale?

Not sure why Danny has been so coy about it. He said they were thinking of pulling the product to merge that function into Neptune and my reaction was, "Noooooooooooooo!" :shock:
A normal PAS is any one with a hall sensor and magnets.

Trying for a week to just get a price on the PAS sensor from Speedict, but they won't give me a price. ...If you're not giving people prices for the products, virtually nobody is going to place an order!

I guess Danny wasn't kidding when he said they were considering pulling the MARS product. -shrug-

RTIII said:

I'd guess you're talking about something like these:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39877&hilit=FUSIN+PAS#p583257
file.php

file.php

The magnet ring slips onto the crankshaft between a pedal and the BB face. Arrows show the direction of rotation.

The metal ring with cable goes on the BB itself, usually held on by the BB lockring, and is the PAS sensor itself.

There's dozens of different kinds of these things but they all do the same basic thing--output pulses that the controller measures and does whatever it's programmed to do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=PAS+magnet+ring&num=100&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXyPm52YjXAhXnz1QKHeEZDqcQ_AUICygC&biw=1529&bih=925

RTIII said:
He said they were thinking of pulling the product to merge that function into Neptune and my reaction was, "Noooooooooooooo!" :shock:
That is what some companies do when their flagship product is in trouble--fold cheaper sub-products that have higher demand into them, to force people to buy the flagship product instead, spending more money with them. Happens in hardware and software, and too often it seems to put those companies out of business entirely some time after they do it. :(

(probably because their former customers went elsewhere to find something simpler that did just the bits they wanted--I've done that when it happened to products I liked).

amberwolf said:
I'd guess you're talking about something like these:

file.php

file.php

Yes, that looks like it exactly, only a LOT more clearly shown. ... Wish he'd have sent me images more like these - not to mention the description of mounting the sensor on the BB via the lock ring! This means left side on my TSDZ2 unit (probably ALL bottom bracket mid-drives except those built-ins like the TSDZ3). I gather that for the magnets, friction is considered enough to hold it in place? Or maybe zip-ties using the holes provided can be used to attach it to the pedal arms... OK, so mounting isn't so hard.

I wonder why Danny / Speedict couldn't find a way to be clear about their PAS sensor, as you were? It wasn't exactly hard to explain - yet all I got was a single too-far-away, no-scale-available picture, no description of how it mounts, and never a price for the sensor.

You go on to talk about their apparent business model. ... It's a real pity they appear to be struggling so - I like their user-interface a lot. Frankly, it's head-and-shoulders above the CA series. Their big problem, I surmise, is the wireless connectivity. . . If you depend on it for system control, that's big trouble. As I have said before (in this thread?), a micro-USB connection strategy could work very well, leaving Blu-tooth as a secondary, optional alternative.

It would also be great if Grin would "see the light" and do a user interface similar to the Speedict one, but Justin says they're too busy with too many great ideas. Looks like they'll be stuck with a late 1970s user interface well into the 2020s! :(

aCeMadMod said:
Hi all it been long time in 1 year i need new pack.

I love small size this bms . Are they sill the best ?

my neptune 15 so far working great !

Hi, they told me that the 20s? is coming up next month maybe.

I will also use it with this charge (Adjustable Digital DC) CPS-6011 60V 11A Gophert (c.c/c.v).
Will go everything okay?
Now I use it to charge 16s at 80-90%. without bms.

Attachments

• CPS-6011-60V-11A-Precision-PFC-Compact-Digital-Adjustable-DC-Power-Supply-Laboratory.jpg
    CPS-6011-60V-11A-Precision-PFC-Compact-Digital-Adjustable-DC-Power-Supply-Laboratory.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,509
Is anyone using a Neptune 20 lite with 3 x 6S LiPo batteries? I am thinking of buying one but want to ensure it will work with 18S Lipo made up of 3 x 6S Lipo

Can you switch on BMS to charge only and leave turned off when riding or do you leave on while riding - if so what is the current rating for the Neptune 20 Lite

I am building my ebike with 5KW motor and 72v 150A ESC

mcclead2 said:
Is anyone using a Neptune 20 lite with 3 x 6S LiPo batteries? I am thinking of buying one but want to ensure it will work with 18S Lipo made up of 3 x 6S Lipo

Can you switch on BMS to charge only and leave turned off when riding or do you leave on while riding - if so what is the current rating for the Neptune 20 Lite

Neptune 20 Lite is for cell monitoring only not BMS.
Please wait for our Neptune 20 later, the size of Neptune 20 size (70mm * 75mm * 10mm) and rated current 100A+

Danny

speedict said:
mcclead2 said:

Neptune 20 Lite is for cell monitoring only not BMS.
Please wait for our Neptune 20 later, the size of Neptune 20 size (70mm * 75mm * 10mm) and rated current 100A+

Danny

Thanks Danny I will wait as I'm currently buying the parts at the moment. Will it handle 3 x 6S lipo? If so how do I wire these into your Neptune 20 - PM me if you have any instructions

mcclead2 said:
Thanks Danny I will wait as I'm currently buying the parts at the moment. Will it handle 3 x 6S lipo? If so how do I wire these into your Neptune 20 - PM me if you have any instructions

yes, all you need to do is make 3 6s pack in series >> 18s, and use Neptune 18s connector connect to Neptune 20

Danny

speedict said:
mcclead2 said:

yes, all you need to do is make 3 6s pack in series >> 18s, and use Neptune 18s connector connect to Neptune 20

Danny

So just wire into the balance connectors leaving out the negative balance wire of each pack?

mcclead2 said:
speedict said:
mcclead2 said:

Danny

So just wire into the balance connectors leaving out the negative balance wire of each pack?

Attachments

• 3x6s pack.png
    3x6s pack.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 1,008
speedict said:
mcclead2 said:
speedict said:
mcclead2 said:

Danny

I have tried this wiring configuration with my current BMS - I connected the 3 batteries together with the discharge leads, then connected the balance plugs - but when I connected pack 2 in it short circuited when I had the - wire into the + as per your diagram

mcclead2 said:
I have tried this wiring configuration with my current BMS - I connected the 3 batteries together with the discharge leads, then connected the balance plugs - but when I connected pack 2 in it short circuited when I had the - wire into the + as per your diagram

can you use multi-meter to measure balance plug all 21 pins with its adjacent not excess 4.2v first ?

Danny

speedict said:
mcclead2 said:

can you use multi-meter to measure balance plug all 21 pins with its adjacent not excess 4.2v first ?

Danny

I have balance charged all 3 packs to storage charge which is 3.8v per cell. I have done this with a Thunder Power lipo balance charger which I use for my R/C Models

mcclead2 said:
I have balance charged all 3 packs to storage charge which is 3.8v per cell. I have done this with a Thunder Power lipo balance charger which I use for my R/C Models

if you follow my diagram to connect all 3 packs in series, and measure all adjacent pins and beware of polarity, it shouldn't be any problem, otherwise is BMS problem ?

Danny

Hello

I'm building an ebike with a cyc x1 pro motor (with bac855 controller max rated power 3000w) and with a 16s lipo battery (4x4s 8000mah batteries in series, 30C rating). I'm planning to charge the batteries with my rc lipo charger, in parallel. The charger has a balance function and the controller has power limits I can set.
I would like to be able to monitor the battery during riding, especially in the beginning when batteries are new, if there is bad cells etc.
The Neptune 20 lite seems be perfect for the task but it's unavailable, discounted?
The non lite version does everything but with extra cost. Would the Neptune 20 be able to handle my setup?
I'm little confused in buying from your webshop, do I need to buy the Neptune 20 (hardware) AND Neptune 20 (firmware) = 188$?
Are you planning to release another lite version?

Btw. Does the Neptune have an ip rating?

Thank you

Tuomito said:
I'm building an ebike with a cyc x1 pro motor (with bac855 controller max rated power 3000w) and with a 16s lipo battery (4x4s 8000mah batteries in series, 30C rating). I'm planning to charge the batteries with my rc lipo charger, in parallel. The charger has a balance function and the controller has power limits I can set.

do you mean your RC Charger can charge all 16s at once, or charge each 4s pack separately ?
if you're not concern short circuit protection, imbalance cell protection / cell under-voltage on high current discharge cycle, cell over-voltage due to re-generative, you don't need NEPTUNE 20 !

Tuomito said:
I would like to be able to monitor the battery during riding, especially in the beginning when batteries are new, if there is bad cells etc.
The Neptune 20 lite seems be perfect for the task but it's unavailable, discounted?

yes, it's discontinued, but we should have some leftover stock, we can send you one sample for free, just PM me for the arrangement and you just need to pay for shipping cost.

Tuomito said:
The non lite version does everything but with extra cost. Would the Neptune 20 be able to handle my setup?
I'm little confused in buying from your webshop, do I need to buy the Neptune 20 (hardware) AND Neptune 20 (firmware) = 188$?

yes, you need to pay both Hardware and Firmware together (the reason why we split into FW and HW, because it can low the import tax with invoice only declare HW unit)

Tuomito said:
Are you planning to release another lite version?

no, because the main cost different between LITE and FULL version is just few MOSFETs components, as per component cost's point of view it's relatively expensive (not saying NEPTUNE 20 is cheap, it's still expensive compare to other BSM in the market).

Tuomito said:
Btw. Does the Neptune have an ip rating?

do you mean waterproof ? NO.

Danny

do you mean your RC Charger can charge all 16s at once, or charge each 4s pack separately ?
if you're not concern short circuit protection, imbalance cell protection / cell under-voltage on high current discharge cycle, cell over-voltage due to re-generative, you don't need NEPTUNE 20 !
Going to charge each 4s pack separately, if cell balance is good, I understood I´m able to charge all at once with parallel board.

yes, it's discontinued, but we should have some leftover stock, we can send you one sample for free, just PM me for the arrangement and you just need to pay for shipping cost.
Very thankful for this!

Thank you for quick answer!

Hi. Unfortunately today I installed the latest firmware on my Neptune 15 (which, according to the device, worked). Since then I can no longer access the device via Bluetooth. I've tried different phones, re-pairing, re-installing the app, unplugging and re-plugging everything, but no change. Any idea what it could be and what else I can try? Is there a way to reset the device? I couldn't find anything about it in the manual.

BTW: There seems to be a connection. The green LED stops flashing when I open the app. However, I cannot access the device.

Thanks

Chri_Tof said:
Hi. Unfortunately today I installed the latest firmware on my Neptune 15 (which, according to the device, worked). Since then I can no longer access the device via Bluetooth. I've tried different phones, re-pairing, re-installing the app, unplugging and re-plugging everything, but no change. Any idea what it could be and what else I can try? Is there a way to reset the device? I couldn't find anything about it in the manual.

Thanks

what's the 3 LEDs status ?
BLUE = ON
RED = ON
GREEN = FLASHING ?

Danny

Back