Frey EX E-MTB with Bafang M620, Advice on ordering

2Slow

100 mW
103201912656.jpg

Hello All,
I am looking for some help on ordering Frey EX from Frey http://frey.bike/full-suspension-eMTB/Frey-EX.htm#

Did anyone ordered from them this model and can share some impressions? There are three models, Basic, Advanced and Pro. While I do not need Pro, is Advanced good value, considering all you get is second battery for $400?

Any other options are available and what to get? I am just thinking, derailleur hanger look custom?! Can I get spares, is it good idea? What ease? Lights?

Found couple of reviews:

https://electrek.co/2019/09/16/frey-bike-electric-bicycle-cc-ex-am1000/

This one below list options that can be ordered. Drop post $70, gear sensor $20 and spare derailleur $20. Prices seem reasonable.
http://frey-bafang.patransformers.com/2020/05/15/frey-ex-bike-review/

What are people doing for front and rear light integration?

For sure get the version with extra battery. You'll want it for extended rides. Ultra motor sucks a lot of battery if you use the power. I got the gear sensor on my CC and not sure I like it. When I go over bumps power will cut off, not sure if it's the brake sensor or gear sensor but these can get in the way more than they help. YMMV. I suppose you can order the sensor and disable it later if you don't like the sensor. You will learn to ease off the gears when shifting. Definitely get a few extra derailleur hangers, maybe an extra chain. Programming cable is also nice to have. I would also upgrade the rotors to Magura MDR-P. I have a lot of problems with the Storm HC rotors on my CC.

Thank you Tom.
I am looking at doing some full day trips cross mountain with elevation gain over 1,000m. and 80km long. Does that sound something like dual battery is needed for?
Noted on gear sensor. I ride normal MTB, so should manage fine even if sensor disconnected.
What is the story with programming cable? Can you improve settings over OEM?
Interesting feedback about brake rotors, thanks. I currently have 203mm, problem free on my MTB. Is it added speed and weight that get's them?

As far as my rotor issues, could be bad pm adapter fit (frey substituted aftermarket due to supply issues), but if you read up on the MDR-P rotors they are probably worth upgrading if you are using for steep trail descents.

You will want dual battery. Not thrilled with the range on my CC. I'm lucky to get 50 miles in lower eco assist with 840wh battery with 1500' gain. The EX has a smaller integrated battery so doubt you will get 50 miles with 3000' gain without the dual battery setup unless you pedal hard.

Ultra can be programmed to some extent. Worth getting the cable I think.

Tom said:
As far as my rotor issues, could be bad pm adapter fit (frey substituted aftermarket due to supply issues),

Did Frey inform you of this component substitution or did you discover it after you took delivery?

Tom said:
You will want dual battery. Not thrilled with the range on my CC. I'm lucky to get 50 miles in lower eco assist with 840wh battery with 1500' gain. The EX has a smaller integrated battery so doubt you will get 50 miles with 3000' gain without the dual battery setup unless you pedal hard.
:lowbatt:
Bosch calculator appear to roughly agree with your experience. 60Km range. I used CX Performance motor (half torque of M620 ) and dual battery setup of 1250W. At Turbo mode, Bosch is about same as Bafang M620 at 50% assistance.

NoFanBoiz said:
Tom said:
As far as my rotor issues, could be bad pm adapter fit (frey substituted aftermarket due to supply issues),

Did Frey inform you of this component substitution or did you discover it after you took delivery?

Frey indicated after the fact that they ran out of supply presumably due to covid which was going to cause the group buy orders to be delayed unless they substituted an equivalent part or so they thought. They did not inform me before the fact but on a $10 part like this I think it was reasonable to not mention if they assumed that the part was equivalent. It's not like we are talking about a $100 item or something that they substituted. It is still unclear at this point whether or not the substituted adapter is the cause of the issue or something else

Tom said:
NoFanBoiz said:
Tom said:

Frey indicated after the fact that they ran out of supply presumably due to covid which was going to cause the group buy orders to be delayed unless they substituted an equivalent part or so they thought. They did not inform me before the fact but on a $10 part like this I think it was reasonable to not mention if they assumed that the part was equivalent. It's not like we are talking about a $100 item or something that they substituted. It is still unclear at this point whether or not the substituted adapter is the cause of the issue or something else

Fair call on the cost and thanks for the update.

Guys, with newly delivered Bafang Ultra (Frey EX), I experience two issues:
1. Motor over-run after you stop pedalling. On highest setting, coming to the top of the hill, it sent me in to the woods, was not expecting that. Is there a way to reduce over-run?
2. For some reason, I get motor cut-out when climbing very steep but short hill. I used second lowest gear and pedalling hard. But in the same spot with max incline I loose assist for 0.5 seconds, causing me to stop and fall. Tried in different gears with same result. The only way to get up, was throttle. No problems with throttle, no powercuts. Any ideas on what may be going on?!

Also, anyone knows what it inbuilt dual battery controller like? Any documentation on it's function? I know it uses first battery with highest charge, once balanced it will use both. But what is the max Amps output? What are the losses across controller? Any info at all? Frey seem to find it hard what is it I am asking about ::)

12 months update :D

Fixed motor over-run and spiky power delivery. Reprogrammed using Bafang Ultra Tune

Still chasing issue with M620 cutting out over bump or wheel slip. I suspect that Brake or Shift sensor triggering or possibly torque sensor reacting as controller going in to 'safe' mode.

Bike was good over 12 months, built like a tank. Had few drops, rough time in inclement weather and generally used and abused with minimal maintenance. Punches, broken derailleur, new shift cable and some other consumables.
My general feel is that bike capable to do a lot more than I can, by a large margin.
My only issue with the bike is weight while caring it over rocks/fallen trees in the mountains. Very heavy, especially doing it multiple times over long full day rides.
Found this review, a good summary for those looking for dipping in to the purchasing Frey EX http://frey-bafang.patransformers.com/2021/06/02/frey-ex-pro/

Back