When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

When Windows 7 is dead in 2020 what OS will you migrate to??

• Windows 8/10/?

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • ReactOS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chrome

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Mac

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Unix

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Linux

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • BeOS

• Amix

• FreeDos

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters
--Oz-- said:
.......then tonight it bsod death "driver_power_state_failure", bummer. It happened when copying USB3 HDD to internal 2TB HDD, not sure if its related.............

When I disabled Windows error reporting my Windows problems went away. It might be worth a try.

Banned spammer Alextort said:
I switched to MacOS from Win7 two month ago and never been happier! ;)

Got a link to what you bought and how much you paid? tia
What apps do you run?

So is it finally time to go Linux when I finally give up my XP machine, even if I'm just an old guy not up on the latest and greatest geeky stuff. I'm definitely going SSDs, because 37yrs of waiting for computers to boot up is enough of paying my dues.

Am I missing something? Why would Windows 7 be "dead?" Do you mean unsupported? Who cares about that? I still have XP on a machine because, drum roll, it's still a better OS than anything else. It's easy enough to have two OS on one computer if someone needs compatibility w/ stuff, or just have a dedicated machine for that. As for security, that is a non starter. I never update my OS, and took the anti virus off my machines many, many years ago.

I use Brave for my browsers (it is very light and fast, comes w/ ad blocker built in, and has a private mode with Tor option) and use encrypted Protonmail out of Switzerland for my email. I use their free VPN as well. My ex had a son in IT, and it was he who told me to just never update the OS and ditch the antivirus. That's been nearly 10 years ago, and I go to some sketchy websites with nary a problem.

Here's my experience w/ Linux, so be careful. I had it on a computer a few years ago and liked it a lot. Then one day it initiated an update totally on it's own, and committed suicide right in the middle of it.

momus3 said:
XP

Here's my experience w/ Linux, so be careful. I had it on a computer a few years ago and liked it a lot. Then one day it initiated an update totally on it's own, and committed suicide right in the middle of it.

Which Linus OS did you use?

XP is fine if you have nothing worthwhile on your pc or dont do anything like banking or purchasing.

momus3 said:
Am I missing something? Why would Windows 7 be "dead?" Do you mean unsupported? Who cares about that? I still have XP on a machine because, drum roll, it's still a better OS than anything else. It's easy enough to have two OS on one computer if someone needs compatibility w/ stuff, or just have a dedicated machine for that. As for security, that is a non starter. I never update my OS, and took the anti virus off my machines many, many years ago.

That might work in specific situations where you never touch installing any new software but I am dubious it's a good idea.
Apparently to deeply embed/install malware on Windows, it is crucial to gain elevated privileges, and they need to disable the MS windows "antivirus/core file protection" services to get deep inside which requires exploits. The most recent version of MS Windows is logically going to be the most hardened against that.

I installed the latest version of QBittorrent the other day, from their core main trusted site.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QBittorrent
https://sourceforge.net/projects/qbittorrent/
https://www.qbittorrent.org/

I am in the latest version of MS windows 10, but when I installed the open source program QBittorrent during the install procedure my screen blanked/flipped for a split second and then it popped up that MS antivirus had been disabled.
To me it was clear malware had gone for my MS Windows OS installation using modern attack techniques, while installing the most widely trusted bit-torrent client out there.

The point is you need every thing you can get in terms of modern OS to be protected against malware, exploits in old versions are being found all the time.

For me this was a lesson that I should just use the Brave-browser built in bit-torrent client, which isn't fancy but gets the job done. I am finished with QBittorrent.

Back