Bafang M500/M600 thread

No Problems.

I have been thinking about the M500 vs M600. I've ridden both, I currently have the M600 installed on the bike, and it is noticably a huge difference compared to the M500.

I typicaly ride single track mountain bike park trails (not "Bike Park" jump tracks) just trails. Some have jumps, some have rocky technical sections, climbs descents etc a nice mix. A typical trail loop is 15km long with about 450m of elevation. I ride with the 450Wh Bafang Pack (43V nominal, 12S 3P).

1. The M500 is very quiet, and my setup has 5 settings configured on the display for power assist.
Level 1 offers mild assist where you have to work hard to get results. it very much feels like you're doing most of the work, but it certainly flattens out the climbs. On the loop above it has about 80 - 90% available at the end. Basically it feels like you're doign everything... Until you go to Level 0... then you realist it was heloing afterall.. Use this mode to ride with mates on Non-Ebikes, without getting too far ahead of them on climbs.
Level 2 and 3 are noticable inrements in assistance. At level 2 the power is more obvious, but you still have to work hard for result. It still feels natural, and feels like it's you getting the results, not the bike. On the loop above, it has between 75 and 85% available at the end.
Level 3 is similar, but now, when pushing hard on the pedals, you're getting max power. On the loop above, you'll get between 65 and 80% available at the end depending on speed up climbs etc.
Level 4 it becomes obvious that it's the bike doing the work and not you. Riding hard (working hard) on the loop above, there might be 50 - 60% left, but it will have been a fast ride!
Level 5 there is no denying that the bike is doing it all, push the pedals even a bit and you get some agressive percentage of max power. On the loop above, there's only so much you can assist physcially without overshooting corners, so you'll end up with under 50% remaining, but won't have had much of a hard workout.

2. The M600 is loud. On the bike it sounds loud, but if you're riding behind it, the sound is not obnoxious and from a few metres away, most people wouldn't notice over the sounds of tyres freewheel etc.
Level 1 - Equivalent to Level 3 above, but battery is more like 65% remaining
Level 2 - Equivalent to level 4 above, but battery would be around 50% remaining
Level 3, 4 and 5 I have only used for a bit of fun and not for long because it's just too fast for that style of riding, on a wide flat'ish trail, it'd be great, but you're not really getting much exercise. I did the loop above on a combination of 2, 3, and 4 on and off and ended up with araound 30% remaining

The biggest difference off-the-shelf is the speed limits on the M500, on Level 3 or above, hitting the 25km/h limit happens pretty regularly, and is a pain. If this was 30km/h it would be noticably different, and would probably suffice for most scenarios.

With the M600, even on level one you will exceed 25km/h easily, so it is great that it has a 45 km/h limit. it makes riding single track, flat at 30km/h super fun, faster is probably not possible given the conditions.

My Prefernce:
I will be going back to the M500. Quieter, improved battery life, more natural feel, and Level 4 and 5 are still absolutely heaps of fast fun when needed.
If I rode mostly fire-trails with long 2 - 3km climbs, probably the M600, but get the 600Wh battery for sure.

Andy

Animalector said:
Contrary to earlier advice from Bafang, you actually can reconfigure the wheel size and upper speed limits using the Besst Programmer and software.

Andy

Whoa! This is huge news. If FLX lets its users tune the m600 through their tool, surely Luna can do the same?

FLX said is you could program max speed and wheel size. Comical that anyone would need to pony up $100 for a BESST tool just to do that when it could just as easily be programmed by the display. Luna indicates to do more advanced tuning you need firmware, so advise users not to waste their money.

It was done for compliance purposes. It doesn't meet EN15194 of you can alter the settings on the display and that's the European market.

This way retailers and OEM suppliers become liable for the settings of their product. I will check and confirm if you can setup end-user accounts and if you can edit the settings.

Andy

That might make sense for the M500, but I thought the M600 was for the non-European market?

Tom said:
Anyone have the skinny on compatible M600 displays? My impression from reading the Luna support thread for the X1 is the DP C240 was the only compatible display.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/knowledge-base/bikes-aa/93790-luna-x-1-enduro-fs-ebike

Display is a special display that works only with this bike, no other display will work for it. It uses CAN communication so it will not work with any BBSxx / Ultra series display.

However, I've seen an alternate display on alibaba referred to as DPC-23 or DP 230.CAN:

HTB19ibOn4SYBuNjSspj76073VXad.png

Also, FLX has a larger color display (appears to be a DPC-18 variant with CAN communication) referred to as "G3 Special Edition Display" but specs say it's only compatible with their special edition bikes.

https://flx.bike/products/lcd-display-dz-multi

There are also specific versions of the DPC240 tied to serial number and/or class. Seems like display compatibility is tied to firmware? I suppose it's also possible the display feeds the controller some pre-programmed settings like max speed?

Where can i buy a display only for my bafang M600, preferably this display with the buttons on the display.

kiwitourer said:
For anyone interested I have attached the specs for the new Dengfu frame E10. This is their upgrade to the current M09 used for Luna X1. SMART features are currently being tested which suggests that there may a chance that Bafang is opening up some of the communication protocols to the M600. These are being launched with the Forestal Siryon as part of their partnership with Bafang so here is hoping.
E10 Geometry.JPG
E10 Bike Complete.jpg

I think that design looks really good. Interesting company. Their stuff looks super refined. I would definitely pick up their current Siryon if I had the means...

Tom said:
Anyone have the skinny on compatible M600 displays? My impression from reading the Luna support thread for the X1 is the DP C240 was the only compatible display.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/knowledge-base/bikes-aa/93790-luna-x-1-enduro-fs-ebike

Display is a special display that works only with this bike, no other display will work for it. It uses CAN communication so it will not work with any BBSxx / Ultra series display.

However, I've seen an alternate display on alibaba referred to as DPC-23 or DP 230.CAN:

Also, FLX has a larger color display (appears to be a DPC-18 variant with CAN communication) referred to as "G3 Special Edition Display" but specs say it's only compatible with their special edition bikes.

There are also specific versions of the DPC240 tied to serial number and/or class. Seems like display compatibility is tied to firmware? I suppose it's also possible the display feeds the controller some pre-programmed settings like max speed?

I’m assuming you’ve seen this? https://lunacycle.com/luna-full-color-display-860c-with-removable-selector/

No integrated controls, but at least an alternate offering.

So indeed a Supplier can create a BESST user account for their customers, and they can allow the 'tools' options to update the wheel diameter and speed limits.

regards,
Andy

kiwitourer said:
For anyone interested I have attached the specs for the new Dengfu frame E10. This is their upgrade to the current M09 used for Luna X1. SMART features are currently being tested which suggests that there may a chance that Bafang is opening up some of the communication protocols to the M600. These are being launched with the Forestal Siryon as part of their partnership with Bafang so here is hoping.
E10 Geometry.JPG
E10 Bike Complete.jpg

Do you have any information about other new frames that Dengfu might offer? Im still waiting for that Dengfu E06 combined with M600 motor :D

Animalector said:
So indeed a Supplier can create a BESST user account for their customers, and they can allow the 'tools' options to update the wheel diameter and speed limits.

regards,
Andy

Thanks for checking on this. I think I’m going to take the plunge and order the BESST tool from FLX and see how it goes with my Luna X1.

The BESST system is kind of and inventory management system. It's designed to keep track of your Bafang parts, different bike models and what parts they have in them. Once you add a customer you can link which bike they have from your line up of different models.

You will probably be fine, but they "could" only create you an account if you have one of their bikes. Maybe it is worth an email to them.
Andy

Damienhatty said:
Tom said:

I’m assuming you’ve seen this? https://lunacycle.com/luna-full-color-display-860c-with-removable-selector/

No integrated controls, but at least an alternate offering.

I just saw that, thanks. Can it be used on any m600 or does it have to be an m600 bought from Luna?

kiwitourer said:
E10 Geometry.JPG
E10 Bike Complete.jpg

Nice! I wonder if it has the same battery pack as the dengfu M09, looks good this. the biggest improvement i think is the decreased headtube angle from 67 degrees on the Dengfu M09 to 66 Degrees on this, however I think the should go to 65 Degrees. This can be fixed with a Superstarcomponents Angleset headset that mounts the Fork Offset in the headtube luckily, I did that to my Dengfu M09 frame.

I got my X1 last night. Can’t get motor to engage. Display powers on, so battery is fine. When I hit the throttle there’s a single clicking noise from the motor, as if it’s trying to engage, and then nothing. All the connections seem solid, battery fulled charge. Does anyone have any insight? Is this something I’m going to need to open the motor for, or am I looking past something basic? Any help hugely appreciated. I am anxious to ride!

Hi. No, no errors codes. It seems to me like an internal mechanical problem. There’s significant resistance when rolling the bike backwards and it’s accompanied by a nasty grinding sound. Sometimes, if I hold the bike at a slight angle when rolling, it seems to move freely as one might expect. A moment ago I managed to actually get the rear wheel to spin a fraction of a turn using the throttle and holding the wheel in the air. The motor made the horrible grinding/clicking noise again and then nothing. Here are some videos I just made, but I’m not sure if any of the sound it makes actually comes through....

https://streamable.com/igz75z
https://streamable.com/eh6mrt

Hi guys! I have just got my hands on my first electric bike with a bafang m600 motor and the DP C240.CAN display. I have read through this entire thread to try and learn about the motor. I was wondering if I have understood correctly regarding the speed limit? I have a speed limit at 25km/h on the motor assistance. From my understanding there is no way for me to bump it up to a 45km/h speed limit without contacting my distributor. This is due to the fact that you need a BESST account to access the settings. Furthermore, the speed limit is controlled by a controller located inside the motor, which means replacing the DP C240 display does not give me access to the settings.

hurtley said:
Hi guys! I have just got my hands on my first electric bike with a bafang m600 motor and the DP C240.CAN display. I have read through this entire thread to try and learn about the motor. I was wondering if I have understood correctly regarding the speed limit? I have a speed limit at 25km/h on the motor assistance. From my understanding there is no way for me to bump it up to a 45km/h speed limit without contacting my distributor. This is due to the fact that you need a BESST account to access the settings. Furthermore, the speed limit is controlled by a controller located inside the motor, which means replacing the DP C240 display does not give me access to the settings.

I think you are absolutely correct. Im thinking of getting another speed controller/pcb for the motor. 4 screws on the right side of the motor. So i can swap between a 45 and a 25 kph controller.

HerskerHans said:
I think you are absolutely correct. Im thinking of getting another speed controller/pcb for the motor. 4 screws on the right side of the motor. So i can swap between a 45 and a 25 kph controller.

Oh that sounds great. Do you know the name of the controller/pbc? Or maybe where I can get one?

hurtley said:
HerskerHans said:

Oh that sounds great. Do you know the name of the controller/pbc? Or maybe where I can get one?

Changzhou Cnebikes on Alibaba is who i would use. I have ordered a display from them earlier. They can order parts for you from the bafang factory. Just start a conversation with a seller there. if you search on bafang m600 on alibaba they pop up pretty quick on the search there.

Hi guys. So I ordered 2 Dengfu M09s with the M600 motors and when I assembled both, it turns out the factory sent me 2 crank preload bolts only instead of 4. Does anyone know the thread pitch for this and is there an alternative? The wife and I would love to use the bikes this weekend but cannot do so because of this mishap from Dengfu.

The Wife’s
ACC0A347-9073-49A6-A0DB-60F345AAC7B7.jpeg
F41C3083-2750-46F5-8B55-5E69FC7B8085.jpeg

Here’s mine with the preload bolts:
643ECC1A-1409-4D1E-BBC9-614E215168AF.jpeg

Anybody find shorter cranks yet for the m600?
I do not have the tools to tap threads if I drill out.
I can’t believe isis doesn’t fit. Complete horsepoop.

Hi everyone and thank you for accepting me. I am new to the forum and I am Italian, I recently bought a beautiful bicycle from an Italian brand Fantic ISSIMO with a Bafang M500 engine to do some physical activity (walking in the parks and on the waterfront). Having said that, the display mounted on the bicycle is a DP C240.can with small dimensions, characters and numbers that are impossible to read except with a hawk's view. For this reason, I ask you if you know any other display that uses the CAN BUS communication system. larger in size that is compatible with the Bafang M500 engine.
Thanks
Charles

Attachments

• Issimo_Bianco_3-4-1024x931.jpg
    Issimo_Bianco_3-4-1024x931.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,803
  • dpc240can.jpg
    dpc240can.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,803
Back