My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

I've had my Frey AM1000 since February and have had quite a lot of issues with the Magura MT5 brakes as well. From new, the rear brake didn't work properly, the lever needed a few pumps to get the brake to bite, obviously very dangerous.

Took me ages to try and explain my brake issue to Frey (Newline in my case). I ended up buying a bleed kit to try and sort the rear brake out. After every bleed, the brake would be ok for a few days and then lose pressure again. After a lot of emails back and forth, I was finally told to contact the Magura UK service centre. They were brilliant and sent me a new master cylinder next day. When fitting the new master, I found there was no insert in the brake hose, causing it not to seal properly and slowly draw in air over time. Here's a picture I sent to Frey to try and explain the issue, in my eyes a big mistake on their part. I have not had a reply from Frey on this in over a month now.

Both front and rear brakes also make the horrible noise described in this topic. I've put around 250 miles on the bike so far, and the noise is still exactly the same.
I bought a second set of Roval wheels so I can quickly swap between my commuting and mtb tyres. I decided to order the 203mm MDR-C rotors for my second wheelset. I'm happy to report the horrible noise is no longer present with these rotors, even using the same pads as I did on the Storm HC rotors.

I've had a few other issues as well, the rear light was already snapped off when I opened the box. Frey claims the light I took a picture of is not the light that came with the bike :?

One of the little bolts holding the display to the handlebars was also missing. All I got as a reply to that was 'have a good look in the box, it should be there'. It wasn't.

Also found a 3rd threaded hole where the chain guide is mounted to the frame, with a bolt snapped off in it :? Also note the motor bolts going rusty already, as the paint on them was damaged, I suspect from hammering them in during assembly.

The ultra motor also started making a clicking sound when moving the pedals slightly backwards and forwards recently. Also, when I'm pedalling, use a bit of throttle to give me a little boost, and then let go of the throttle, it feels like there something slipping inside the motor, there's a delay in the pedals engaging again. Anyone ever had this issue?

JLam said:
I've had my Frey AM1000 since February and have had quite a lot of issues with the Magura MT5 brakes as well. From new, the rear brake didn't work properly, the lever needed a few pumps to get the brake to bite, obviously very dangerous.

Took me ages to try and explain my brake issue to Frey (Newline in my case). I ended up buying a bleed kit to try and sort the rear brake out. After every bleed, the brake would be ok for a few days and then lose pressure again. After a lot of emails back and forth, I was finally told to contact the Magura UK service centre. They were brilliant and sent me a new master cylinder next day. When fitting the new master, I found there was no insert in the brake hose, causing it not to seal properly and slowly draw in air over time. Here's a picture I sent to Frey to try and explain the issue, in my eyes a big mistake on their part. I have not had a reply from Frey on this in over a month now.

Both front and rear brakes also make the horrible noise described in this topic. I've put around 250 miles on the bike so far, and the noise is still exactly the same.
I bought a second set of Roval wheels so I can quickly swap between my commuting and mtb tyres. I decided to order the 203mm MDR-C rotors for my second wheelset. I'm happy to report the horrible noise is no longer present with these rotors, even using the same pads as I did on the Storm HC rotors.

I've had a few other issues as well, the rear light was already snapped off when I opened the box. Frey claims the light I took a picture of is not the light that came with the bike :?

One of the little bolts holding the display to the handlebars was also missing. All I got as a reply to that was 'have a good look in the box, it should be there'. It wasn't.

Also found a 3rd threaded hole where the chain guide is mounted to the frame, with a bolt snapped off in it :? Also note the motor bolts going rusty already, as the paint on them was damaged, I suspect from hammering them in during assembly.

The ultra motor also started making a clicking sound when moving the pedals slightly backwards and forwards recently. Also, when I'm pedalling, use a bit of throttle to give me a little boost, and then let go of the throttle, it feels like there something slipping inside the motor, there's a delay in the pedals engaging again. Anyone ever had this issue?

I have the slipping sound as well. It’s the freewheel operating as it should. The sound is generated by leftover forward motion of the engine when it’s turning at a higher RPM compared to your pedaling action.

I’ve previously had leaking issues with my rear brake as well. This could explain why they only occurred with the rear one...

I got an answer by email from Frey at Sales[ZeroOne]@frey.bike

Hi,

Sorry for late reply.
About the battery connector situation you showed, it seems the contact is not very well. we will send you a pair of battery connector for you to change.
This is a Reention supply battery case system in China, as it's big capacity and the shape design, it is not fully insert in side of frame, it's half insert type. during your using, you should also check whether it is installed stable enough without much shake space between battery and the down tube.then it should be OK without this kind of connector issue appear.

FlyingFinn said:
Having serious connection issues with the battery. I can’t even get the battery to stay still for 5 minutes. Bike is turning on and off repeteadly. Now it won’t even go on anymore. I’ve tried straps etc. to secure the battery down. No help.

The threads on the connector are plastic and on the nut they’re metallic! No wonder the connector ones will go worn out after one single fastening.

[youtube]mm5Tf1rS3Sk [/youtube]

You can hear how the battery arcs when you put the sound loud.
[youtube]eyvLH3Iq7SI [/youtube]

ps. the metal on the battery’s +connector has partly melted due to arcing!

pps. managed to tighten the connector on the battery’s end with a 24mm wrench. Now the bike goes on but it still cuts out the power frequently.

Sorry for our faults in these details.
We will comprehensively improve quality control and further enhance the training of workers on product details.
Any issue or deficiencies you see on our products, please report to us freely anytime. we will pay attention and avoid similar case happen again in the future!

JLam said:

I have not had a reply from Frey on this in over a month now.

@FlyingFinn
Sounds familiar. I had the same experience, some of which is outlined in other threads. At the moment we are waiting on a second order for 3 CC bikes and one EX. Due to having a bent cage plate due to their faulty assembly of my first order for an M600 V2 last fall, I asked them to send me a new cage plate (which I would pay for), they could not figure out what that part was and could not supply it. They did offer to sell me a new derailleur, but as the cost for the same derailleur was cheaper on Ali Express, I ordered one there instead. I also noted you can just buy cage plates from Ali Express as well. On the latest order I asked if we could buy some spare spoke magnets, which they said they could not supply, in spite of generic ones available on Ali for less that 2 bucks each. Our original Frey rep went on leave, and when I reached out to the new rep, I only received cursory replies. I had to get my oldest son's girlfriend (who is fluently bilingual in Chinese and English, and who's father it turns out also has an eBike factory in China) to start stick handling our present order through WeChat, and that gave us a new perspective on things. That was a lucky break for me, especially when the balance of our $20,000.00 order payment was not immediately received in China and we had to explain that it indeed had been sent.

Frey is not a bad company, and that is why we gave them a second order. The problems I had were due to not anticipating the flaws in their assembly and QC (such as getting a Bafang controller/display that showed 460km on the odometer the first time I powered the new bike up, or a front axle sleeve that had been improperly installed, or a derailleur hanger that had not been torqued to spec, all of this in spite of an email that has said the bike had been assembled and had gone for QC testing). I just got back from a grueling 2 day backcountry ride on my M600. I stood up to the test, and I'm hopeful I will be able to use all 11 gears once my new derailleur arrives and I can tune it to shift properly without compensating for the bent cage plate. Just don't approach your purchase with a champagne taste on a beer budget.

On your battery problem, are the disconnects happening when you are drawing a heavier current load, say more than 15 amps?

Any issue or deficiencies you see on our products, please report to us freely anytime. we will pay attention and avoid similar case happen again in the future!

That was not my experience. I am sorry to say, that in spite of my doing just what you ask with respect to my first order for an M600 V2, the follow-up was non-existent, and I have to fix the problems at my own expense.

You probably do not need to worry about a bent cage plate. My bad, I did not check the derailleur hanger and rode the bike. When I shifted to the largest gear, because the hanger was loose, the cage plate caught the sensor magnet and then went into the spokes, bending three of them as well as the cage plate. If you check all your fasteners to make sure they are tight, you should be good.

tsellers said:
That was not my experience. I am sorry to say, that in spite of my doing just what you ask with respect to my first order for an M600 V2, the follow-up was non-existent, and I have to fix the problems at my own expense.

Glad I only experienced the non replies to emails and answers to questions, sounds like I dodged a load of frustration.

Some issue are special cases and may caused by multiple factors effected together.
But some issues do not permit to happen more. We are strengthening quality control in more details at present.
Thank you for all your attention and feedback. We will take care all the information to us.

2Slow said:
JLam said:

Thank you for sharing. I got my order in for Frey EX, gives me list of potential issues that I can check upon receiving the bike.
Missing bolts is not a biggie, happens in transit. Misthreaded bolts is an issue! List of problems that i need to look out for:
- Brake rotors noisy
- Leaking hydraulic brake house
- Loose bolts
- Lost bolts
- Mistreated bolts
- Bent cage plate / bent parts
- Burnt battery connectors/terminals (may take some months)
- Front axle sleeve poorly installed
- Signs of force on frame / fasteners that took place during assembly

Am I missing anything?

Looks like they need to tighten quality control, generally speaking metal fabrication and mechanical assembly in China is now very mature and quality and tolerances now are very tight. Frey may need to hire better QA professional?

If you demand a bike only a chump would want, you are bound to be taken for a chump by somebody.

Balmorhea said:
If you demand a bike only a chump would want, you are bound to be taken for a chump by somebody.

Seems a few owners can only get issues acknowledged by Frey when they make publicly embarrassing posts, ie: they post on this forum.

Balmorhea said:

I answer only for my behalf but been mainly happy to Frey and my FAT1000.

Even after some minor shortcomings this bike is truly outstanding. There is no other full-suspension fatbike that can house a 1000Wh battery, 1500W of peak power, have a PAS sensor and to be delivered to your front door for a mere 3200€.

I'm another 50 year old newbie in both the biking and ebike world. Just placed an order for AM1000 and HT1000. This forum has been helpful to ensure i also order a light and gear sensor. I've found the communication to be satisfactory thus far - with the majority of communciation being over Alibaba messenger, but I've also just called the main sales number. I'm guessing only Ivy speaks English, but everything has been good thus far with Cecilia handling the majority of the order / changes / inquiries.

Even with everything posted here, I like that they have great pricing for the components offered. For that pricing, I'm willing to spark my engineering brain a bit to (ahem - hopefully) solve any problems I encounter. I love the way the bikes look and the promise of biking epower.

Current build time is ~ 2 months. Delivery to Washington State, USA is ~ 1 month.

I'll document my journey here.

My feedback for @FREYebikes thus far:

- Provide a listing of options on the website. I didn't know about ordering extra stuff like the USB cable, deraillures, light, mud guards.
- Factory videos / youtube marketing efforts were actually really helpful and influencial to me. Do more of that :)
- It would be good to have a "quality control" checklist that I can verify that everything got to me without being damaged in shipping. I know I'll get the picture of "here's the bike before we shipped it" - I'd love to know that I can verify it got here in the right shape.
- Care and feeding videos / instructions are helpful.

I'm really excited for the new bikes - especially the sense that these "aren't your retired person's ebikes."

Jeff

I didn't know about ordering extra stuff like the USB cable, deraillures, light, mud guards.

They don't have an 'options' list that I've seen after 2 orders for a total of 5 bikes. Then there is also spare parts you may want. What they do have is racks with parts trays on them. If you think of a spare part you may want, then you ask your rep to add it to your order. In many cases they can, and in some cases they can't be bothered (even for a simple item such as a spoke magnet for the sensor). In some cases the price is fair, in others, it is cheaper on Ali Express (rear derailleur for example). In some cases they don't know what you are talking about until you sent them a picture, and then they say they don't have it, and then you find it on Ali Express (cage plate for example).

It may help you to put all your items in a spreadsheet in Google Doc's and share the link with them, then you can edit it as your order progresses, and it makes it easier to keep track of your total cost as well as which items are in your order, which you can use to double check your final invoice.

Final Payment:
(You make 2 payments, first is for 50% of the order, then the balance when the order is almost ready). Tell them that it is easiest for you to add the cost of the final spare parts to your final payment, that way you can work on your parts list and keep it dynamic while the bike is being built.

Here is a list of some popular options:
-Color (expressed as a code, for example dark red is YS723, regular red is YS706, etc., ask your rep to send you a color code table)
-Bars (city or MTB)
-Seat Post (dropper post is an $80.00 option)
-Seat Type (city or MTB)
-Lights
-Tires (Choices: 1: Maxxis Recon+TR 27.5*2.8" (default) 2: Schwalbe Smart Sam 27.5*2.6" (add $20.00 for this tire) 3: City tire)
-Fenders
-Rack
-Gear sensor (probably not desirable for experienced riders)

Here is a list of some extra parts that might be of interest to some:
-Extra bearing sets for each bike
-Extra battery case (empty, to build your own)
-Wheel set (so you can mount studded tires in winter) (front/rear w/ cassette)
-Ergo Hand grips set
-Extra 10 speed Chain
-dérailleur hangers
-Extra pair crank arm (as noted in many other threads, these arms are very long, I find that I get lots of rock and root strikes with them).
-Wheel speed sensor spoke magnet
-mountain style short mudguard set

Thanks 'tsellers'.
Good review of Frey e-bike watch out list :)

tsellers said:
On the latest order I asked if we could buy some spare spoke magnets, which they said they could not supply, in spite of generic ones available on Ali for less that 2 bucks each.
I think it is good to elaborate a bit on this a bit further, Frey is an ebike manufacturer not a trading company sourcing components you may need?! Frey will go a long way to please and accommodate their customers requests but how you expect them to handle items that cost just a few dollars on Ali??

How about trying to order a few ebikes from a main stream supplier like Specialized and ask them to throw in some spoke magnets?!?!

Here is what happens, a customer orders 3 bikes from Frey, Frey orders 3 motor kits from Bafang, these kits have all the components in them to assemble three complete bikes, no more, no less. Frey doesn't stock separate spoke magnets, they sit in the motor kit!

If you need ebikes, call Frey, if you need ebike components, call a trader or buy direct from Ali??

I think it is good to elaborate a bit on this a bit further, Frey is an ebike manufacturer not a trading company sourcing components you may need?! Frey will go a long way to please and accommodate their customers requests but how you expect them to handle items that cost just a few dollars on Ali??

Thanks Marcel, interesting,

It's good that we have a 'Frey Ambassador' active in this forum with experience in how Chinese factories work, thanks for the insight. I must apologize for my ignorance and for making assumptions based on the limited experience of only ordering 5 bikes from them (1 M600, 1 EX, and 3 CC's). I saw all the bins of assembly parts on the racks in the factory tour, and did not realize those bins had just one part that was allocated for just one bike. I also assumed that aftermarket parts were part of the supply chain infrastructure. Scary to think that if an employee loses or breaks one part during assembly, they no longer are able to assemble a complete bike!

Interesting then how they have confirmed they can supply the following spare parts, I wonder where they get these following spare parts that they have supplied along with our order:
Extra bearing sets for each bike
Extra battery case for EX
Extra battery case CC
Wheel set for M600 (front/rear w/ cassette)
Wheel set for CC (front/rear w/ cassette)
Ergo Hand grips set
Extra 10 speed Chain for CC
dérailleur hangers for CC
Extra pair crank arm 170mm for CC
mountain style short mudguard set for CC

I'll look forward to learning how these items are agnostic from the 'kit' restriction ecosystem that Frey works within so that, with your help, we can all better learn and understand how the Chinese systems work, it will probably help all of us in future when placing our orders.

John, I have been traveling to China since 2000 for work and have seen how factories in China develop from zero to multi million and even to almost a billion US $. I work in oil and gas industry and had a JV with a company in Suzhou for 7 years and am working with a partner in Shanghai since 2014. And indeed since mid 2019 I am helping Frey a bit.

When companies are small, they can be flexible and accommodating to customers as they will be eager for the sales but when they grow larger, things become more (or very) rigid. Ever tried to get something like spare parts from Bafang??

So what is possible in 2019, may not be possible in 2020 or 2021 as Frey will develop, grow in sales and needs to streamline the production and order processes in order to cope with the influx of orders.

We always response quickly as soon as we got any feedback by email or call or anyway.
Only maybe sometime we missed some email, we can't response promptly. if after 24 hours have not got reply.
Try to resend the message as a remind.
Also there are some customer would like to share and discuss online with other users.

NoFanBoiz said:
Balmorhea said:

Seems a few owners can only get issues acknowledged by Frey when they make publicly embarrassing posts, ie: they post on this forum.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your feedback. got it! we will improve in these points for customers to understand our bike and what they can get more easy and clearly.

jeffdkeyes said:
I'm another 50 year old newbie in both the biking and ebike world. Just placed an order for AM1000 and HT1000. This forum has been helpful to ensure i also order a light and gear sensor. I've found the communication to be satisfactory thus far - with the majority of communciation being over Alibaba messenger, but I've also just called the main sales number. I'm guessing only Ivy speaks English, but everything has been good thus far with Cecilia handling the majority of the order / changes / inquiries.

Even with everything posted here, I like that they have great pricing for the components offered. For that pricing, I'm willing to spark my engineering brain a bit to (ahem - hopefully) solve any problems I encounter. I love the way the bikes look and the promise of biking epower.

Current build time is ~ 2 months. Delivery to Washington State, USA is ~ 1 month.

I'll document my journey here.

My feedback for @FREYebikes thus far:

- Provide a listing of options on the website. I didn't know about ordering extra stuff like the USB cable, deraillures, light, mud guards.
- Factory videos / youtube marketing efforts were actually really helpful and influencial to me. Do more of that :)
- It would be good to have a "quality control" checklist that I can verify that everything got to me without being damaged in shipping. I know I'll get the picture of "here's the bike before we shipped it" - I'd love to know that I can verify it got here in the right shape.
- Care and feeding videos / instructions are helpful.

I'm really excited for the new bikes - especially the sense that these "aren't your retired person's ebikes."

Jeff

FREYebikes said:
We always response quickly as soon as we got any feedback by email or call or anyway.
Only maybe sometime we missed some email, we can't response promptly. if after 24 hours have not got reply.
Try to resend the message as a remind.
Also there are some customer would like to share and discuss online with other users.

NoFanBoiz said:
Balmorhea said:

Um, no not correct. Sent two emails and only after brake034 got involved did I get a response and even then he tried hard to get a bike to me and he asked a question of you that was never answered. In the end, it was too frustrating and not worth the hassle of following up again.

The red queen rides again! After being down for a week due to naively popping out a piston from the front caliper I spent most of last night installing a new caliper, bleeding the front brake, changing the front and rear rotors and installing blue comfort pads in the rear brake. The new caliper came with performance pads so I decided not to swap them out for the blue comfort pads. My front brake is no longer spongy and the rear brake noise is gone! I am pretty sure it's the new MDR-P rotors that solved the noise issue and the bleed of the front brakes that solved the sponginess. I don't know why Magura sells these garbage Storm HC rotors or why ebike manufacturers put them on heavy ebikes instead of e-bike rated rotors but I would definitely advise against Magura Storm HC rotors! 3 weeks of frustration and $500 of expense ($150 for new rotors, $25 for proper post mount adapters, $75 for the bleed kit, $50 for new brake pads, $100 for new caliper, $100 for failed velofix) but now I know how to bleed brakes and have some extra pads so will save money in the future. Just happy to be riding again, although the weather doesn't look like it will cooperate this week.

1591620152326-png.54815

Hey Tom, it sounds like you just had bad rotor/pads set. I used Storm HC on MTB it it performed very well even with some abuse/comfort braking. I also had issue with soft lever, three different shops attempted to bleed and service it. It came back every single time after some use. In the end, I just replaced whole set with new - problem fixed. Some issues are just cheaper to tackle this way than troubleshoot.
As for rotors, they are all CNC or laser cut, some precision stamped in China. Almost all out of China sourced steel, this can cause issues as it's know for inconsistency in composition and properties, regardless rotor type and style (you can have bad MDR-P too). Only one or two manufacturers spec factories to use sheet steel of Japanise or Euro origin. This cost large premiums in China.

BTW, Love your bike, colour is stunning. I have EX Advanced on order, should see it in 5 months :)

I ordered two Frey Fat 1000 on february.
I hope I have done the right choose for me and my wife!
We wanted a bike to travel on the road and and on the mountain, so why we do not buy a Frey AM 1000?
Because for an old guy like me (50) I supposed that a full fat was one of the more comfortable bike to travel on the mountain also if you see the frame measures.
We want to organize a 1000km trip this summer on Santiago de Compostela route and I hope I have done the right choose.
But after reading the last pages of this thread (regarding brakes, batteries quality) I am afraid to have some serious problem that could stop us during the 1000 km trip......It could be a disaster because you cannot do nothing to finish the travel....
Any other who have experience with this bike and with a long trip on fat?
Any one can suggest me which check I have to to to avoid the main problems that could afflict those bike?
here some photos of those beautiful bikes!

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,135
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,135
  • unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 2,135
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg