A potato made me crash my bike and faceplant.

e-beach said:
What I do know is from now on, I will be using a back-pack (rucksack) for my shopping needs while riding that bike.

Since you are already ok with/used to having the stuff on the steering mechanism, as far as how it affects handling, you could simply add front baskets.

There are many types like these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+front+baskets&tbm=isch
or you could do what I did here:

and mount a rear set of side-baskets on the front (along with rear baskets too):
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15570&p=231012#p231001
file.php

amberwolf said:
Since you are already ok with/used to having the stuff on the steering mechanism,.....

If life were only so simple Mr. Potato head wouldn't be fermenting with the rest of his scare faced spud-buddies in the street corner trash can where I left him at the scene of the accident. :roll:

Proflex1.JPG

This bike was supposed to be a temporary bike while I fixed my workhorse front hubbed bike, but I fell in love with the plush ride and have been riding it exclusively, despite the batteries being in the wrong place, IMO.

In this case, the suspension on this bike is such that a front basket attached to the simple t-bar handlebar would rub on the front of the forks as the forks went up and down while traveling over many humps and bumps around here, so a front basket wouldn't work without changing handlebars to something like a mx style handlebar with a crossbar, which I had been thinking about doing anyway. It would be the fastest and cheapest fix to have something to attach a basket to.

Proflex2.JPG

As for the back, the battery is there at the moment.

However I will most likely be calling upon Nkon in the coming weeks for some tabbed Samsung INR21700-50E cells to give this bike a 35+ mile range with the battery in the triangle as it should be. Then, the back will be open for a rack system.

I guess I should forget about a new 3D printer and think about a cheap flux welder to make a sparse steel frame for a wood/fiberglass battery box.

:D :bolt:

Trash can what ? Mr potato Head should be pick up and add some sugar and yeast. Let it seat and then boil at 190 degrees Colette the fumes in a funnel upside down through the worm put it through a cooling system and give it a try. Or ask some Pollock.

999zip999 said:
Trash can what ? Mr potato Head should be pick up and add some sugar and yeast. Let it seat and then boil at 190 degrees Colette the fumes in a funnel upside down through the worm put it through a cooling system and give it a try. Or ask some Pollock.

Seems like you know what your doing. You should slap a label on it and start selling it, liquid gold is what they say but its the marketing thats the real beeeeatch!

markz said:
^The blue tape is a nice touch.

Temporary my friend.....temporary. :wink:

As for fermenting, Mr. Potato Head is just going to have to ferment in place as a learning lesson for jumping into my spokes while going after that beer can so hard!

:D :bolt:

e-beach said:
In this case, the suspension on this bike is such that a front basket attached to the simple t-bar handlebar would rub on the front of the forks as the forks went up and down while traveling over many humps and bumps around here, so a front basket wouldn't work without changing handlebars to something like a mx style handlebar with a crossbar, which I had been thinking about doing anyway. It would be the fastest and cheapest fix to have something to attach a basket to.
With taht style of front end, I can see how a bar-mounted basket would be difficult to mount.

But did you see the picture I posted, showing the "rear"-style basket that is attached to teh suspension forks? It's not ideal because it's then unsuspended weight, but it's much better than carrying on the handlebars, and easier on your back than a backpack. (I have done all the possible methods of carrying cargo over the years, trying and building many different carriers and such, whcih is why once I could do it I built the SB Cruiser trike to do it the way I wanted to, an entire mounded-up 350lb+ grocery-cart worth at a time. ;) )

Looks like the same thing would work for yours, though you would have to come up with a circular clamp for the fork legs for the axle mount, as you wouldn't be able to put it on the actual axle. There are a number of such clamps that could probably be adapted out of pipe clamps if the lowers aren't round, if they are round you may be able to use a large seatpost clamp if you have one of the right diameter.

The back of the rack itself would attach to whatever crossbar (fender mount?) the fork has on the lowers; if there isnt' a wya to do that you can use two diagonally-mounted hose clamps around the lowers tubes onto the rack bracket. (similar to what I did on the blue/white bike, though I used the hose clamps around the U-crossbar of the lowers).

Some filing/etc of the rack mounts themselves may be necessary to conform ot the mounting options you have available.

You could also mount it on the back end, using a flexible type of mounting for the front of the rack to the back of the frame at the seattube, like wrapping the tubes with old innertube and then using diagonal X-crossed hose clamps over that to the rack mount, but not clamping them tightly, so it can pivot with suspension. Then the axlemounted supports can be mounted to your axles if there's room on the axle and you can drill out the supports that much (might not be enough meat), or use the P-clamp method on the swingarm tubes just in front of the dropouts if necessary. The back end version would have to be mounted low enough over the tire so it can never hit the seatpost rack, though.

This type of basket rack tends to be pretty inexpensive for the basic type I used. Not the best design, but it works for general small loads. Can be improved significantly by ziptying or wiretying or hoseclamping the baskets to the vertical struts so the baskets don't wiggle as much, and extra diagonal struts can be installed to further stiffen, etc. etc. But they'll work without all that.

There are better types like folding units so the baskets are out of the way when not actually in use. (though they're not usually as strong, and cost more).

markz said:
999zip999 said:
Let's not forget about mrs. Potato Head and she lost her husband in the crash . The problem is there was alcohol involved and mr. Potato Head was always a drunk he was probably going for the beer when he got caught up in the spokes.

Should have been smoking the wacky weed instead!

I thought the vernacular was "wacky tobaccie".

999zip999 said:
Johncr are you trying to tell me Mr potato Head was stoned. I demand a test. Before you convict a dead potato Head. I'm insulted.

Remember there are no tests for weed consumption, only at the hospital (blood test) can they determine.

Larsb that is not a pigeon it is squab. French for town chicken. Remember going to France say and having a chicken dinner squab or pigeon. So enjoy your red wine red wine is always best with squab.

999zip999 said:
Larsb that is not a pigeon it is squab. French for town chicken. Remember going to France say and having a chicken dinner squab or pigeon. So enjoy your red wine red wine is always best with squab.

Roadkill to eat, nothing to waste
Yum Yum

Nothing to spend either

Red wine better be home made.

Red wine is making people numb and dumb. For me, it is a medication. I drink some when I feel sick and it does make me feel good, but if I drink some when feeling good it does make me feel sick. :wink:

The only good wine for refreshment drink is white, dry, sparkling with the smallest, micro bubbles in great number. In moderate quantities of course, because the abuse of it does leave you with horse mouth and bird brain for a day. :mrgreen:

I made a 5 gallon bucket of red wine from bottled grape juice last year. It was the least pleasing of my buckets of homemade booze from the same time period (also featuring apple cider, and a pineapple/brown sugar/spice brew called tepache).

The best qualities of all the aforementioned brews was that they were very cheap and effective, and I knew exactly what was in them.

She blocked my number. She said she didn't like the way I licked her butter. I did get a little sloppy. But the hot melted butter ? She knew what she was doing to me. That hot spud.

I think you mean Tommy Tutone.

[youtube]6WTdTwcmxyo[/youtube]

And what does Mrs. Potato Head have to say about the whole thing?

[youtube]0w-HpBPJC1I[/youtube]

Back