LightningRods mid drive kit

Remus said:
I've contacted a few bike shops, hardware shops. Bolt shops. No one has anything M12 1mm thread. Regardless of length or head. There maybe a rare industry somewhere that has something but I haven't found it.

One place offered to make one for $80 and 3 weeks to produce it.

I've ordered something cheap from China eta mid Dec.

I'll have to buy a car or something lol

any pics, did you search by manufacturer?? how about these :
https://www.jensonusa.com/Truvativ-M12-Capless-Steel-Crank-Bolts-Black-116900002020

edit, missed that you wanted it local asap..

Hey, thanks for asking about the Motoped. It’s still in the shop. I’ve purchased a 15kw capable Golden Motor, a 300A+ capable ASI BAC4000 controller from Alan Hu, and a 200A capable 42Ah 18650 custom battery pack from PowerVelocity. I’ve figured out where everything is going to go and how I’m going to build the composite/aluminum battery box. I’m clearing out a couple of mid drive orders and a custom trike build and then I’m on the Motoped build. I’ll be posting updates here.

Happy Thanksgiving!

LightningRods said:
I had a new spare that I offered to send. He didn’t want to pay postage from the US.
No good deed goes unpunished.
I thought perhaps Fastenal, headquartered here, might have them in AU. A kick search of Google AU got LOTS of sources.
http://bfy.tw/LE5e

Off topic:

Hey Mike,

remember when we joked about velomobiles with mounted machine guns a few years back in this thread?
Well, still got no machine guns but finally a Milan in my stable: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235&p=1464663#p1464663
My advice: Under no circumstance, ever, do a test ride in a fast velomobile! :D

Cheers
Marc

Ok drank the Kool-Aid I just bought a lightning rod big block kit New old stock with a Lieyn controller and a CA 2.2. . It is a complete on open older kit what should I be worried about ?
Oh it's going on a Kona kukapu f.s. I hope it fits I got this bike because the huge triangle 4 battery.

There are hundreds of these mid drives still out there running, the oldest about 7 years old. If you found a NOS big block drive it should have years of service in it. There’s nothing to worry about. Get the primary belt tension and alignment set up right and go have fun.

Mike,

What is your support policy wrt owners of your gear bought secondhand? For example:

A. as good as if bought new

B. best effort within reason

C. you really need to know what you're doing, or get charged by the hour

?

Thanks

I’ve agreed to repair old drives in the past and have been horrified to receive parts that look like they were off of a Japanese Zero that had been in the ocean since 1943. I don’t do that any more. It takes way more time than building a brand new drive. I don’t make the original steel 2 stage drives any longer. I do have some NOS parts left and will be happy to sell them off at my cost price. If you have questions I’m happy to answer them. My main thing is that I don’t like having old parts coming back for me to mechanic on. I’ve been burned too many times.

Yes I was just talking about support in the sense of assisting by communicating information and advice, sharing your knowledge.

Outside of warranty, of course you should be fairly compensated for physical work, and I can definitely see how old units are often just not worth the trouble.

If a customer needs information I’m here for them. If I have parts I’ll provide them. If I know where you can get what I don’t stock I’ll send a link or contact info.

That's great, thanks.

Too many vendors don't want to know you if you are not the original purchaser, warranty not transferable, etc

I can speak from experience here;

99% of the time an end user returns an item it is not just in used condition, it is BEAT TO DEATH! I sold a number of drive units to one customer who returned them for "Refurbishing". I was horrified to see that they were literally beat with a sledge hammer! The customer responded with "I had to scoot them in their mounts to adjust tension"! I am dead serious......

Mike is absolutely correct. Repairing used drives outs a nightmare.......

Matt

Hey Matt,

Thanks for stopping by! I can't imagine someone beating on one of your beautiful works of Art with a hammer. Some people have no mechanical empathy at all. They should never touch tools or attempt to work on anything themselves.

I have to confess that when I started building drives it never occurred to me that the hundreds of drives that I built would end up floating around for years. Most of them have had good lives and are still in use. Some, not so much.

The original drives are no longer in production. Since GNG/CYC saw fit to 'Borg' me and assimilate my unique technology into it's own, I decided to get as far away from my origins of trying to polish a turd as I possibly could. I'm still busy creating new mid drive designs and building drives and bikes every day. I'll update this thread sometime with the new things I've been working on.

Thanks again for checking in Matt. The beautiful work you were doing is one of the things that inspired me to get into this business. (I don't hold you responsible for the consequences!) I would have just bought one your drives way back when and called it a day but the Astro/ESC combination was so unclear to me that I wandered into the Valley of Darkness that was GNG/CYC.

Cheers,
Mike

LightningRods said:
I don’t make the original steel 2 stage drives any longer. I do have some NOS parts left and will be happy to sell them off at my cost price. If you have questions I’m happy to answer them.

LightningRods said:
If a customer needs information I’m here for them. If I have parts I’ll provide them. If I know where you can get what I don’t stock I’ll send a link or contact info.

I need parts for a NOS Two stage Big Block. I also need the instruction / assy manual ( .pdf?) and or a parts list.

Are these things available, and does anyone know where to find them? No mention of the old 2-stage big block on the site. Ty

Hey I’m here and glad to help. I don’t sell the original steel drives any more but still have parts and will make the bits I can. What do you need?

LightningRods said:
Hey I’m here and glad to help. I don’t sell the original steel drives any more but still have parts and will make the bits I can. What do you need?

Thankyou for the reply.
Well, thats the thing. I dont know exactly what I need. It may just be a tensioner, honestly. I know 100% I need that. I do want the ease of a complete OEm setup and will be running HV and high power, most likely.

I have looked for a 2 stage for some time, and I always wanted the two stage, but never wanted the clone kit. I must say I am impressed by the lightness of this "Big" block, and the compact nature of the well crafted assembly. If it provides half the power I think I may need I'll have had some good fun, for sure.

Any instruction or parts list, would be great.. or if you can tell me what you dont see in this picture:/ Also, i want a torque sensor, what is the most common approach to this, if you know Offhand? Thankyou for the time.I am sure from all your customers you know we love our bikes.

This is what I got. Also, one (two pole) sensor is chopped from the motor. i assume temp sensor. is that avail. for purchase? Thanks again.

So:

Intermediate sprocket
Temp thingy?
Tensioner

What else? lol. 199pg. thread is alot tolook through for up to date info. Sorry for the hassle.

Attachments

• LRBB2.jpg
    LRBB2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,221
  • LRBB.jpg
    LRBB.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,221
LightningRods said:
The original drives are no longer in production. Since GNG/CYC saw fit to 'Borg' me and assimilate my unique technology into it's own, I decided to get as far away from my origins of trying to polish a turd as I possibly could. I'm still busy creating new mid drive designs and building drives and bikes every day. I'll update this thread sometime with the new things I've been working on.

I hear this as, "MORE POWER!" :lol: Do you think you will ever make >10kW drives? A 15kW drive? I have a Q140 frame, BAC8000 and QS205, I love the power but the unsprung weight sure limits handling a lot. I've thought about trying a hub-motor parallel drive for stupid power and good handling but it will be a few years before I have a garage to weld in again, I'd be very interested in a bolt-on solution.

We’re at 10,000 watts right now. It’s amazing to me, but we’re running over 120 amps at over 80 volts. On a sub 100 lb bike it runs like a light motorcycle.

LightningRods said:
We’re at 10,000 watts right now. It’s amazing to me, but we’re running over 120 amps at over 80 volts. On a sub 100 lb bike it runs like a light motorcycle.

Instructio manuals are located where? Any link? Does it exist? Parts list?

Back