Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Offroader said:
H.I.M said:
Tell me the length of the rear wheel spokes. Thank.

Why do you want to know this? Are you talking about the stock 19" rear wheel?
Friends breaks stock spokes. You can order spokes sapim. But you need to know the size. Rear wheel 19.

H.I.M said:
Offroader said:
H.I.M said:
Tell me the length of the rear wheel spokes. Thank.

Why do you want to know this? Are you talking about the stock 19" rear wheel?
Friends breaks stock spokes. You can order spokes sapim. But you need to know the size. Rear wheel 19.

They range from about 198 to 202, I would get 200mm.

Gear ratio’s:What’s yours.
My setup All chain sprockets.
13/34 = 2.61on the motor,13/55 =4.23 on the rear ,2.61x4.23=11.04 final reduction.Good for about 32/35 mph.

Finally had a chance to do a really nice ride today. From my house, I made it to Bolinas-Fairfax Road and back. I didn't go all the way to Bolinas but my round trip was 37 miles. Battery meter was showing 50% at the end. I'll try going further next time. This road is the windiest road around with lots of hairpin turns and is very narrow. The Sur-Ron handles those corners like nothing. Way fun. Only problem was a bunch of slow gas burning SUVs. The road winds through a giant redwood forest and goes all the way to the coast.

Img_1661A.jpg

Аккум на сур рон.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200425-222351_AntBMS rv48 ru10.jpg
    Screenshot_20200425-222351_AntBMS rv48 ru10.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 4,006
I received my brake lever and tried to install. Unfortunately the pin round head can not push the piston in and I can not squeeze the lever. I guess I am doing something wrong.

Anybody knows what the problem is?

I'm working on the ultimate sur-ron lighting for night riding in the woods and parks. This will be ridiculously bright and is totally not needed. You will blind everyone who dares to look at your bike. You will have diminishing returns as your eyes will adapt to the high brightness.
You will be able to pull up to people in the park or woods and they will think you are the police :D , especially if you actually say you are as your lights will blind them.
You will see many huge spider webs and spiders in the woods and parks way before you are able to ride into them, and still get freaked out, for some reason the lights reflect off the spider webs and really highlights them.
You will draw attention from just about everyone at night.

The stock Sur-Ron light is garbage for night riding as you have to limit speeds to about 20 MPH, you can't see anything distant with the stock light. With an upgraded light system you can easily ride at almost full speed at night 40MPH in the woods.

I will be using 3 great LED lights that were all highly recommended in the mountain bike community. All very lightweight.

1) Yinding YD 2xL2 900 lumens -- modified with long throw optics for more distance lighting
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_126086.html?wid=1433363#goodsDetail

2) BT40s - 1600 lumens
https://www.gearbest.com/bicycling-gear/pp_180805.html

3) Magic Shine Monteer 6500 - 6500 Lumens -- great for short and long distance lighting.
https://www.magicshine.us/product/monteer-6500-mtb-headlight/

The first 2 lights above I used together on my old bike and they were ridiculously bright and way overpowered at night. Adding the Monteer 6500 will be stupid ridiculous.

If anyone is wondering, how the heck will I power these things? The Monteer 6500 alone will draw about 6 amps at 12 volts.

While the Sur-Ron DC/DC 12volt converter isn't all that bad, it was able to power the Monteer 6500. While 12 volts will power these lights, and I've used that voltage on all 3, however it isn't recommended as these lights were designed for 2s lipo packs or 8 volts. It is also doubtful that the sur-ron DC/DC converter can power all 3 of these LED lights which may draw over 10 amps at max brightness.

I picked up a very high quality Vicor Micro series 12 volt rated at 150 watts. This is voltage adjustable so I can set it for 8 volts. Input voltage is rated at 43-110 volts. This thing is extremely small for the reliable power it can put out.
http://cdn.vicorpower.com/documents/datasheets/ds_72vin-micro-family.pdf

I still need to hook up the dc/dc converter and power it from the sur-ron battery. Will update when I finally get around to doing this.

dYtI1n5.jpg

05RWaI2.jpg

Offroader said:
I'm working on the ultimate sur-ron lighting for night riding in the woods and parks. This will be ridiculously bright and is totally not needed. You will blind everyone who dares to look at your bike. You will have diminishing returns as your eyes will adapt to the high brightness.
You will be able to pull up to people in the park or woods and they will think you are the police :D , especially if you actually say you are as your lights will blind them.
You will see many huge spider webs and spiders in the woods and parks way before you are able to ride into them, and still get freaked out, for some reason the lights reflect off the spider webs and really highlights them.
You will draw attention from just about everyone at night.

The stock Sur-Ron light is garbage for night riding as you have to limit speeds to about 20 MPH, you can't see anything distant with the stock light. With an upgraded light system you can easily ride at almost full speed at night 40MPH in the woods.

I will be using 3 great LED lights that were all highly recommended in the mountain bike community. All very lightweight.

1) Yinding YD 2xL2 900 lumens -- modified with long throw optics for more distance lighting
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_126086.html?wid=1433363#goodsDetail

2) BT40s - 1600 lumens
https://www.gearbest.com/bicycling-gear/pp_180805.html

3) Magic Shine Monteer 6500 - 6500 Lumens -- great for short and long distance lighting.
https://www.magicshine.us/product/monteer-6500-mtb-headlight/

The first 2 lights above I used together on my old bike and they were ridiculously bright and way overpowered at night. Adding the Monteer 6500 will be stupid ridiculous.

If anyone is wondering, how the heck will I power these things? The Monteer 6500 alone will draw about 6 amps at 12 volts.

While the Sur-Ron DC/DC 12volt converter isn't all that bad, it was able to power the Monteer 6500. While 12 volts will power these lights, and I've used that voltage on all 3, however it isn't recommended as these lights were designed for 2s lipo packs or 8 volts. It is also doubtful that the sur-ron DC/DC converter can power all 3 of these LED lights which may draw over 10 amps at max brightness.

I picked up a very high quality Vicor Micro series 12 volt rated at 150 watts. This is voltage adjustable so I can set it for 8 volts. Input voltage is rated at 43-110 volts. This thing is extremely small for the reliable power it can put out.
http://cdn.vicorpower.com/documents/datasheets/ds_72vin-micro-family.pdf

I still need to hook up the dc/dc converter and power it from the sur-ron battery. Will update when I finally get around to doing this.

dYtI1n5.jpg

05RWaI2.jpg

ha yea i use 2 off brand mix mode LEDs off flebay... considerably brighter than car high-beams, will light up a hillside 0.5km away. Pulls about 3A at 12V, so given these are probably more efficient LEDs running 120W will be absurd. Probably dont need to tel lyou this but just be sure to get a mix of spot and flood - it is easy to end up with something that is too bright in the near field that it makes distance viewing difficult, and vis versa. That and having any brake cables etc in front of the beams can be glarey. I'm planning to add some 'side'lights too to help with viewing whats at my feet... probably mounted into the bashguard or similar.

Those look like nice lights to upgrade towards at some point. For now I'm trying to keep my oem lights working. I sometimes leave the key on and I guess the bulbs overheat.

I have some lights from ebay but they are labeled 7 volt. Any 12 volt suggestions out there? The ones I see available look like a different format of bulb or chip.

20200702_143257.jpg

I am considering a Sur-Ron and am looking at it from the point of registering it as a Motorized Bicycle.
A motorized bicycle means every device having two tandem wheels or three wheels which may be propelled by either human power or helper motor, or by both, and which has all of the following:

(a) A motor which produces not more than 3.5 brake horsepower;
(b) a cylinder capacity of not more than 130 cubic centimeters;
(c) an automatic transmission; and
(d) the capability of a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour except a low power cycle.

I have searched on the word "register" in this thread and am left with a mixed understanding. Does the Sur-Ron have a VIN?

I would need a VIN to complete this form.

G'day.. Just purchased new SurRon L1e road legal version here in Aussie land. I have another one the same L1e but with the old throttle but apparently the new Light Bee bikes come with electronic throttle. I Put the bike together and twisted the throttle and nothing .... then few seconds later it launched.. then stopped & now wont go at all. Error messages on screen P1, E2 and er-224 come up as per pics.
Anyone got an idea here for a fix.. have not seen anyone post on this problem or anything on web about these error codes.. i assume its the throttle?
Am i right in thinking best to replace the throttle? I assume the bike will still work with the old mechanical throttle.. maybe i should swap the old bikes throttle onto the new bike and see if it works..? .. anyone see an issue in trying this?
IMG_5940.jpg
IMG_5941.jpg
IMG_5942.jpg

thanks Nic

Er-224 trouble code says(number of flashs22,sidestand protection,solution :auto recovery.The other codes don’t follow the Surron trouble code manual.

thanks Kauaiguy... of course the damn kickstand was down when i took the photos and that is its error code. :lol:
yes the other codes are not shown on SurRon trouble shooting and cannot find anywhere any one posting on ES or the web about these codes and this apparent throttle problem. :shock:

AF7JA - don't believe SurRon have a VIN 'perse'... but we use the Frame no's they come with here in Aust to road register them - they also have a motor number.

Pinotman said:
G'day.. Just purchased new SurRon L1e road legal version here in Aussie land. I have another one the same L1e but with the old throttle but apparently the new Light Bee bikes come with electronic throttle. I Put the bike together and twisted the throttle and nothing .... then few seconds later it launched.. then stopped & now wont go at all. Error messages on screen P1, E2 and er-224 come up as per pics.
Anyone got an idea here for a fix.. have not seen anyone post on this problem or anything on web about these error codes.. i assume its the throttle?
Am i right in thinking best to replace the throttle? I assume the bike will still work with the old mechanical throttle.. maybe i should swap the old bikes throttle onto the new bike and see if it works..? .. anyone see an issue in trying this?
IMG_5940.jpg
IMG_5941.jpg
IMG_5942.jpg

thanks Nic

All error codes start with er- then the code.
The initial P1 and E2 are showing the software the display is programmed with.
Most people on this forum are in USA and have X version bikes, without the L1e display or a VIN

fechter said:
Finally had a chance to do a really nice ride today. From my house, I made it to Bolinas-Fairfax Road and back. I didn't go all the way to Bolinas but my round trip was 37 miles. Battery meter was showing 50% at the end. I'll try going further next time. This road is the windiest road around with lots of hairpin turns and is very narrow. The Sur-Ron handles those corners like nothing. Way fun. Only problem was a bunch of slow gas burning SUVs. The road winds through a giant redwood forest and goes all the way to the coast.

Img_1661A.jpg

Hey what are those cases called on your surron and where do you get them I could use 2 of them for my bike.

Caution shock bolts prone to breaking.Found this broken bolt when replacing my shock.Looks like it’s been partially broken for awhile.

Attachments

• 25B62D17-410B-44A1-9994-326D8D5DE13D.jpeg
    25B62D17-410B-44A1-9994-326D8D5DE13D.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 3,582
Kauaiguy said:
Caution shock bolts prone to breaking.Found this broken bolt when replacing my shock.Looks like it’s been partially broken for awhile.

Is it alu?

thoroughbred said:
Those look like nice lights to upgrade towards at some point. For now I'm trying to keep my oem lights working. I sometimes leave the key on and I guess the bulbs overheat.

I have some lights from ebay but they are labeled 7 volt. Any 12 volt suggestions out there? The ones I see available look like a different format of bulb or chip.

20200702_143257.jpg

Are you looking for a new bulb for your OEM light or a new light?

Replaced the stock handled bar to a higher, cruiser style 23$ on Amazon. Very comfortable for the city, getting into elevators.

Very recommend!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072347G4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EyZaFbRX6ZSXJ

Also, simple arrangement, strong and reliable for a back carrier. Great for mounting a back pannier. Great for city commuters.
I was thinking of selling them as an add on kit with mounting template and instructions but not sure of the market size.
Very low cost add on. You can watch

And last, after struggling finding a temporary
replacement stock Surron brake cylinder with no success I decided to try to install a simple Zoom cylinder which I have plenty of them. Surprisingly, after bleeding, it works pretty nice and stop as good as the stock cylinder.

As a temporary solution it's not bad at all. At the end I will upgrade the whole set but wherever you buy them, delivery takes time and not having a rear brake? Not really recommended...

Would be nice if they sold a street legal version or even a moped version. This way I can drive on the highway, then when I get off the highway remove my plates and it will be an ebike so I can blow through all the traffic lights.

This would cut my commute by 30 minutes or more depending on traffic.

Back