Honda Express electric hub motor conversion

Vtwinton

1 µW
I just picked up a 1978 Honda Express. It’s in decent shape but motor is seized. Was thinking I’d rebuild it but now flirting with the idea of converting it to electric using a rear hub motor. I think what I’ll do is remove the gas motor and build double sided swing arm.
I haven’t found any examples of this being done, does anyone have experience with a project like this?
Thanks

I just picked up a 1978 Honda Express. It’s in decent shape but motor is seized. Was thinking I’d rebuild it but now flirting with the idea of converting it to electric using a rear hub motor. I think what I’ll do is remove the gas motor and build double sided swing arm.
I haven’t found any examples of this being done, does anyone have experience with a project like this?
Thanks

There's a lot of scooter, moped, and motorcycle conversions that do what you're talking about, mostly in the forum section for those types of bike, over here, including at least two Honda Express threads:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=22
though both of them use middrives thru the existing drivetrain, AFAICR.

How much power do you want?
I'd say go for the big power QS or MXUS motors and 18fet 72V controller for some kickass fun times!

I don’t need tons of power but would like to get out of my own way...I’ll look into the qs and the other that you mentioned. Thanks

Well without knowing what you want, what you will be riding, how fast you want to go, the terrain then everything and anything is up for grabs.

edit 5hrs later
OK here is a pic of that motorcycle (below). Its totally not what I envisioned.
Specs are not easy to come by for wheel size. My guess is 16" x 1.60 rim size, definitely not a 1.40 width rim.
Alright I was close, ebay link states 14"x2.25
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Express-Moped-NC-50-Off-1978-NC50-front-wheel-/261044310230

Honda.jpg

I don't think you would be happy with anything less than 48v 750W. That may take you up to 20 mph.

I'm currently doing a conversion of an NC50 as well. I've swapped to a larger front sachs front fork, 16x2.5 tires on new rims, and I've got a QS205 3T. Running a 20s8p battery, 72V ~23Ah. Still have a lot of assembly left but have most of the parts ready. For a rear hub motor you've gotta go custom on the swing arm. I've got a swing arm off of a 20" dirt-bike style kids bike that I'm going to reinforce and weld some torque arms onto.

I'm currently doing a conversion of an NC50 as well. I've swapped to a larger front sachs front fork, 16x2.5 tires on new rims, and I've got a QS205 3T. Running a 20s8p battery, 72V ~23Ah. Still have a lot of assembly left but have most of the parts ready. For a rear hub motor you've gotta go custom on the swing arm. I've got a swing arm off of a 20" dirt-bike style kids bike that I'm going to reinforce and weld some torque arms onto.
How's your Honda NC50 Electric conversion going @rileymomo? I've recently scored one and with the rear rack/tank layout reckon it's begging to be electrified. I'd love to hear how you went and if you had any tips?

Back