”The barge” efoil build

I tried to epoxy the rotor magnet gaps to lower drag losses under water, turned ut uneven and it was too late to clean it. f*cking hell! It will be totally unbalanced, it's likely unfixable so i basically scrapped the rotor. :x

I have one more try, i'll do the other rotor with just silicone. if result is poor again i can just scrape it off. doh!

Maytech has some nice e-foil dedicated motors and propellers. 65162 for example. I think there it some videos of them on youtube also.

Yes, but the maytech and other clones are quite expensive and efficiency seems poor from the dyno sheets. I think they might have been tested at too high current/torque though.

80100 is a quite good motor for the price and i had it already :thumb:

Motor mount for the mast is finished. I hope it fits, had to draw it from an outline sketch of the mast and i was aiming for a tight fit so it’s not 100% sure.
D8D683C4-62DC-4A56-82BE-1113162AF137.jpeg
I have glassed first layer on the top, now i’m cutting cloth and vacuum bagging material for the bottom. Quite happy with the progress so far. :D
9CBAD24C-53F3-47F0-BA76-31E6D45983B1.jpeg

Prepping for glassing by sanding the sides and top layer. I haven’t done this size of glass fibre build before, it’s a fair bit of work. Just making a two meter vacuum bag took about an hour :wink:
92F8BB0D-A9C1-4B46-A2E0-14CA3AC7732F.jpeg
V-cut in the rear is to evacuate water from around the electronics box lid.

Made a spacer plate for the mast mount to be able to route the wires into the mast without cutting a large recess in the board. There’ll be a cut in the rear (left) side of the plate that’s not done yet in the picture.
A46ED226-8B28-46B1-AE71-8F3B08680237.jpeg

Drive unit put together:
063D9587-6339-43EB-8B25-FDAF09A844D1.jpeg
I cut the hole for the wires in the mast with my dremel, that’s a 400 euro cut :wink:
Started to thread the wires inside the mast but realised i need to open up a bit more in the top to get the last wire through.
9790557A-C99A-4026-8EBC-4406854959FB.jpeg

Finishing the two printed props with some layers of epoxy glue. I’ll also receive a professionally printed nylon prop tomorrow, should be enough for some first trials.
F12C58A9-B4B0-4030-A4B6-E27AE4A7E236.jpeg
I’ll buy a prop once i know what i need as balancing and surfaces will never be 100% on the printed props.

Unfortunately i'll now have to wait for two days for the throttle cable, it's being shipped. I have a VESC ESC with receiver and handheld remote but i don't feel like learning to set it up yet :wink:

I compared inductance of the motor and extension wires to previous proven settings for the controller. It's way higher than expected. I wonder if my measurement was correct and i didn't bring the meter here. Hopefully i can do the first trials today, we'll see then.

Great build, I'm interested to see how it performs.

Thanks for documenting it.

everything is assembled and ready :D First trials today!

I cannot take any pics since i crashed my phone and my family is out picking cloudberries. Let's hope i don't need any emergency rescue :D

Biggest win of the day is that i still fit in my 15 year old wetsuit (even though i remembered it to be a bit roomier :wink: )

first runs done, total success! :D :D :D
The board barely floats with me but it was no problem to stay on it or get on my knees. Enclosure stayed completely dry. There was a bit of power lacking from the drive to reach flying, i need to set the controller parameters better.
I'll do some readouts, charge the batteries and try again :flame:

Back