Purple sweet potatoes- sprouting! page 2 millions of white flies

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
markz   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Eating broccoli greens 3 times a day! Wasps on patrol!

Post by markz » Jun 05 2020 7:06pm

Murderous Wasps

goatman   10 MW

10 MW

Post by goatman » Jun 05 2020 7:12pm

markz wrote:
Jun 05 2020 7:06pm
Murderous Wasps
what you got against Italians?

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Jun 05 2020 7:15pm

goatman wrote:
Jun 05 2020 7:12pm
markz wrote:
Jun 05 2020 7:06pm
Murderous Wasps
what you got against Italians?
Nothing, I am part Italian myself and thats where I get my love of carbohydrate pasta from.

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Eating broccoli greens 3 times a day! Insect season

Post by Matt Gruber » Jun 12 2020 1:00pm

3 plants got covered in white flies. took off most of the leaves for lunch. sprayed the rest of the 3 with insecticide; 1st time i used it. plan is to kill them so they won't spread and i will not eat any more leaves from the 3.
Giant grasshopper(4") on another. These buggers are hard to kill. Years ago i put 1 on a block and put a 35# block on top of it. Took it off, and it walked away :shock:
So now i get my leather gloves, and twist its head off :twisted:
If the bugs get real bad, i'll harvest the greens, blanch, and freeze.
Converted window AC's to central system.
Reversed insulin resistance and heart disease by limiting calories from fat to 7%. Thanks to Dr Mcdougall, Dr Esselstyn, Dr Barnard, Dr Greger, Dr Ornish and Nathan Pritikin. (all on YouTube)
Favorite foods: corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, cabbage, broccoli, lintels, black beans, mushrooms, cherries, mangoes, bananas, pineapples, blueberries, strawberries, pasta, home made rolls and no-fat chips.

momus3   100 W

100 W

Post by momus3 » Jun 13 2020 6:07pm

I'd prefer to get bit by the bugs than eat broccoli three times a day. My neighbor has been growing tiny little 'maters. Some of them are purple, not sure what's up w/ that. They actually taste sorta like the tomatoes of olden times.

I had a LOT of trouble w/ wasps in Florida. Turns out they are afraid of hornets, their arch enemies. Probably the only thing on earth they're afraid of. Rather than pay $8 for the plastic fake hornet nests, I wadded up some small brown paper bags to look like them and strung them in several places on the porch near the bush the wasps had taken over. Took about a week but they went away! It works.

Never did figure out anything that a roach was afraid of. The little German ones will actually charge you if you get them running. Then there were the flying waterbug roach things that were right out of a horror movie. You name it, if it's alive in Florida, it wants to get at you. Here in Tucson, it's just stuff like scorpions, bobcats, poisonous snakes, mountain lions....all of which I prefer to wasps and flying waterbugs the size of a Chihuahua .

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Matt Gruber » Jun 14 2020 3:33am

momus
thanks for the tips on the wasps hating hornets :D
broccoli up to 3 times a WEEK for me is enough. It is their greens that i like 3x a day! BIG difference! :shock:
Same with beets. 3x a week is plenty, but the greens taste good every day w/meals. Except beet greens contain oxilates which can, in some people cause kidney stones. :o
I take 3-4 leaves, about 1 ounce, chop and mix into rice, potato, or lintels. So a total per day of 3 or 4 ounces. They really disappear when cooked. I was intrigued about greens when Dr Essylstyn proved thru a scientific study that heart disease could be reversed by, among other things, eating a lot of raw greens :shock: So i was looking for a tasty way to add them to my diet.
Reversed insulin resistance and heart disease by limiting calories from fat to 7%. Thanks to Dr Mcdougall, Dr Esselstyn, Dr Barnard, Dr Greger, Dr Ornish and Nathan Pritikin. (all on YouTube)
Favorite foods: corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, cabbage, broccoli, lintels, black beans, mushrooms, cherries, mangoes, bananas, pineapples, blueberries, strawberries, pasta, home made rolls and no-fat chips.

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Eating broccoli greens 3 times a day! wasps died

Post by Matt Gruber » Jul 18 2020 5:36pm

i don't know what happened, but those wasps are gone, empty nest :shock:
(covid 19?) :lol:
still eating greens 3x a day 8)

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Jul 18 2020 10:46pm

Matt Gruber wrote:
Jul 18 2020 5:36pm
i don't know what happened, but those wasps are gone, empty nest :shock:
(covid 19?) :lol:
still eating greens 3x a day 8)
Murderous Wasps

LeftieBiker   10 kW

10 kW

Post by LeftieBiker » Jul 19 2020 2:42am

Fun fact about typical North American wasps: the adults are vegetarian. Another, less fun fact: their offspring are carnivorous.

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Aug 09 2020 2:15pm

Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Eating broccoli greens 3 times a day! most of plants are dead

Post by Matt Gruber » Sep 05 2020 12:13pm

All the broccoli plants in full sun are dead :( They died a month ago; i'm surprised they lasted this long :thumb:
BUT i put some in the shade of my sycamore tree as an experiment :bigthumb: they like the shade :mrgreen:
so i'm still getting a few greens.
Ate greens 3x a day until 9-1 :thumb: Now just a few.
Learned to plant next crop in the shade 8)
And i never got tired of eating the greens 8)

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Purple sweet potatoes- sprouting! page 2

Post by Matt Gruber » Oct 07 2020 7:55am

Been wanting to try growing these for 2 years. Said to be the most healthy vegetable- a tribe that ate these did not get any western diseases :shock: no cancer, no heart disease, etc. Don't know if the variety is the ones i have, or if the story is true, BUT they are delicious without any spices! Extremely rare, i got 3# at .99/lb, a great price (Publix had some last year $4.17/lb)
3 of them are sprouting - only the organic sprout, because they spray others with growth inhibitor, making it hard to grow your own as you have to make clones, called sipes. So this is my new garden experiment. they say it takes months to be ready to plant, so could be ready for spring.
video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yulzgQs ... RayneOakes

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Purple sweet potatoes- sprouting! page 2 and growing roots!

Post by Matt Gruber » Oct 08 2020 8:38am

2 are starting white roots despite being purple :shock:
#3 as an experiment i cut in half and put the sprout half in water, i'm eating the other half at lunch 8)

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Purple sweet potatoes- sprouting! page 2 free pots and potting soil

Post by Matt Gruber » Oct 10 2020 8:00am

Here is how i plant "green". the purples are growing roots- 1 in long in 2 days, and the cut in half is also starting roots about 1/4" above the cut.
For pots, i cut in half an empty 42oz oatmeal, and put a plastic bag in it. the plastic lid becomes the bottom.
For soil, i'm using last years pile of composted sycamore leaves mixed with some dirt(sand).
So no trips to the store to get them started. 8)
:mrgreen:

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Purple sweet potatoes- sprouting! page 2 free pots and potting soil

Post by Matt Gruber » Oct 17 2020 3:41pm

Here is how easy it is to start lots of plants!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtP5U6 ... mperCultus

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Purple sweet potatoes- sprouting! page 2 ate first leaf to test taste

Post by Matt Gruber » Oct 18 2020 9:21am

so you take off the bottom leaves when you start a new slip in a jar :arrow:
so i cooked it 6 minutes and it tastes good :D like spinach :bigthumb: cooks much faster than broccoli leaves, they can take 1/2 hour or more. totally different taste. contain less oxilates than spinach, but i don't know the exact figures.

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Purple sweet potatoes- sprouting! page 2 planted 2 slips- they grow fast!

Post by Matt Gruber » Oct 21 2020 8:52am

it is cloudy, so a good day to take a chance planting PSP 2 with an inch or so of roots. the slips grow fast from the whole potato, but the one cut in half is barely alive :shock:
last year this time i tried red malibar spinach, but they died when they detected short winter days.
they say sweet potatoes will grow year round, so this is a test. I'd sure like some of those good tasting greens ASAP. :thumb:
Next day i see the one that had a leaf touching the ground has grown up and away :shock:
Planted 2 more today :D I've never seen anything grow roots this fast :shock: i have 3 tomato cuttings and no sign of roots :roll:

Matt Gruber   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Purple sweet potatoes- sprouting! page 2 millions of white flies

Post by Matt Gruber » Oct 24 2020 3:55pm

i put a jar of slips in the sun and in 1 hour they had white flies :o
they didn't find the 4 i planted yet.
morning glories are in the SP family and the backs of the leaves are covered in white, BUT they do not seem to kill the plant. Not at all appealing to eat, however. :bolt:
read how wild grape leaves are good to eat :shock: boiled some for 10 min and they tasted awful :evil: