Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

I'm going to start using that term now. I always had to specify which bike I was riding. Don't like surron, electric dirt bike was too long, ebike wasn't correct and light bee just sounds weird. Dirty bike just works. :lol:

Personally I would like the term "offroad ebike" better

Dirt Ebike sounds kind of odd for some reason. I see how it relates, but offroad ebike I think will be more understandable.

On another note, I saw for the first time another sur-ron while driving my car today. It passed me quickly but still a rare thing to see in my big city. These bikes are so tiny that its hard to make them out easily if they are coming at you, I mostly noticed the controller on the front.

Upgrading the suspension:I’m installing the Dvo DcD1 forks and the Fox DhX2 shock.In this Covid economy finding suspension components is getting harder to find.I ride only off-road in mostly hardcore trails and the stock suspension was beating me up.
Just wondering what everybody is using for actual off road riding and how it’s working.

Sure enough, I see it on their website, or at least a nice CAD drawing of one. No real pictures. No useful specifications.

Segway X160 Sur-ron.JPG

who needs specs when you have 3K$ and four color choices;).. :lol: was wondering if/when the 48volt version would become more readily available in usa.. well wait is over:) .. and 60v battery pops right in and works with stock controller.. :idea:

I tried a 12s battery in my light bee and it wouldn't work beyond spinning the wheel about one revolution.. Luna claims 14s won't work either.
https://lunacycle.com/52v-25ah-high-power-monster-battery-for-pedicab-or-ev-with-charger/

What range of batteries can be used with a stock X controller?

original surron were made available in 48v and 60v but with interchangeable battery and a stock controller that supposedly would sense and run on either voltage.. however the 48v were not as popular and not imported by usa dealers, until now;) annnd seems that surron Segway may have maintained that compatibly for upgrade potential of 48v version to 60v battery.. reference, not my bike :

"CONFIRMED!!!! X160 60v battery swap. Speed reached 40mph!!! I wonder if clipping the green wire will increase speed .. "

https://m.facebook.com/groups/385187845425959?view=permalink&id=628905544387520

Hello,
Been reading this forum for the last 4 days now. Been an awseome jurney through the 202 pages of comments and ideas. I love this bike, even without riding one. Haha I have learned a lot about the bike. I ordered one last week. From a dealer here in canada. Been told shipment from factory is arriving first week in August. I should have it second week as I'm a 4 day delivery away from my closest dealer. :D

When I ordered the bike I used their web page and was able to apply a pre order code for a discount( sweet) the one thing I'm now have questions about is I had no were to select options like forks ect.. only color options. (Picked grey) I got a email in to the dealer with the question about options. I'm sure I'll get something back once open again on Monday.
Update: heard back first thing Monday. They only sell the bike what comes from factory. This shop only has factory replacement parts.
He also mentioned he knew of a few places doing upgrades on the bikes. He was going to send me some info.
I will share if anything come out of that. Nice to have other options.

I've heard that the new bikes coming from factory(like mine as I was told) will come with all the upgrades.. cool.. what would those all be? Anyone have a recent buy of the bike?

I also have decided to do a few upgrade once I receive the bike. I'll be looking for a 52T. I've read so much on here about luna and others making sprockets. Can I get one deliverd to Canada from one of you guys? I'm looking at sur-ron USA has them as well as Luna. Also how many link chain would I buy? To fit the 52 or 55. ~

I have been following the chat about tires as well. I may be mistaken but I can't find a shinko 241 in a 3.0×19. all websites I look at don't have that size??

Brake pad... I like the price of the alligator pad compared to shamano. Can some tell me what alligator pads work in a stock caliber? I thought I saw someone using an alligator pad but might not have been on here tho. Think he mentioned he had to trim one of the heat sinks.

Just thought I'd sign in and start chatting.
Thanks for the great content and I have gained a lot in the last 4 days. Any saskatoon riders?

Slats

road.JPG

on some local trails :p

steep enough that even the surron with a nuc 24f and 400 phA still struggles :D

Canadianslats said:
Hello,
Can some tell me what alligator pads work in a stock caliber? I thought I saw someone using an alligator pad but might not have been on here tho. Think he mentioned he had to trim one of the heat sinks.
Alligator # HK-TB035-DIY+ made for the Saint BR-M820/ Zee BR-M640 brakes.

:shock:

X-Nitro said:
Canadianslats said:
Hello,
Can some tell me what alligator pads work in a stock caliber? I thought I saw someone using an alligator pad but might not have been on here tho. Think he mentioned he had to trim one of the heat sinks.
Alligator # HK-TB035-DIY+ made for the Saint BR-M820/ Zee BR-M640 brakes.
Thanks

Canadianslats said:
I have been following the chat about tires as well. I may be mistaken but I can't find a shinko 241 in a 3.0×19. all websites I look at don't have that size??

Shinko is available in 2.75x19 or 3.5x19. The 3.5 is a little too wide to fit. The 2.75 barely fits in the front and may rub a little. It fits fine in the rear.

The 19x2.75" sr241 is typically 3.2" wide on the 1.4" sur-ron rim.

X-Nitro said:

I was thinking that the 2.75 would fit the front no issue? Only reason is thought that was I see a few vids on people changing to the 241 and using that on the front with no issue. (Maybe I was mistaken) :? I dont know much about tires. But I'll be looking to switch to a more 50/50 st/dirt tire.

Can someone recommend a front/back tire combo I could use on the factory sur ron rims.

Thanks guys

Canadianslats said:
X-Nitro said:

I was thinking that the 2.75 would fit the front no issue? Only reason is thought that was I see a few vids on people changing to the 241 and using that on the front with no issue. (Maybe I was mistaken) :? I dont know much about tires. But I'll be looking to switch to a more 50/50 st/dirt tire.

Can someone recommend a front/back tire combo I could use on the factory sur ron rims.

Thanks guys
244 x 2.75s fit comfortably front and back (DNM forks)... i imagine 3 is probably fine, though might be pushing your luck...

275s measure at 3.2 on my bike, with about 0.2 in gap to the chain.

There is about 2mm clearance on the RST fork with the 2.75" Shinko.

Img_0904A.jpg

The problem is there is enough flex in the fork that the tire actually makes contact sometimes. It's not too bad, but did rub the paint off the fork. You also need to trim all the little sprue thingys off or they will saw through the fork. Eventually I went for a 2.5"x19 made by Vee Rubber (hard to find). There are a lot of different forks out there too, so it may depend on what fork you get.

As for putting on aftermarket controllers and throttles, what are the pinouts for the hall sensor wires (6) and throttle wires (3)?

I know which 6 wires are from the halls but not sure which each of the six is connected to internally, same for the 3 throttle wires.

I have the published wiring diagram which has several errors and omissions (such as the wire that gets cut to get full power). I'm close to having the entire harness mapped out but am lacking some final details.

Canadianslats said:
Hello,
Been reading this forum for the last 4 days now. Been an awseome jurney through the 202 pages of comments and ideas. I love this bike, even without riding one. Haha I have learned a lot about the bike. I ordered one last week. From a dealer here in canada. Been told shipment from factory is arriving first week in August. I should have it second week as I'm a 4 day delivery away from my closest dealer. :D

When I ordered the bike I used their web page and was able to apply a pre order code for a discount( sweet) the one thing I'm now have questions about is I had no were to select options like forks ect.. only color options. (Picked grey) I got a email in to the dealer with the question about options. I'm sure I'll get something back once open again on Monday.
Update: heard back first thing Monday. They only sell the bike what comes from factory. This shop only has factory replacement parts.
He also mentioned he knew of a few places doing upgrades on the bikes. He was going to send me some info.

I've heard that the new bikes coming from factory(like mine as I was told) will come with all the upgrades.. cool.. what would those all be? Anyone have a recent buy of the bike?

I also have decided to do a few upgrade once I receive the bike. I'll be looking for a 52T. I've read so much on here about luna and others making sprockets. Can I get one deliverd to Canada from one of you guys? I'm looking at sur-ron USA has them as well as Luna. Also how many link chain would I buy? To fit the 52 or 55. ~

Brake pad... I like the price of the alligator pad compared to shamano. Can some tell me what alligator pads work in a stock caliber? I thought I saw someone using an alligator pad but might not have been on here tho. Think he mentioned he had to trim one of the heat sinks.

Thanks for the great content and I have gained a lot in the last 4 days. Any saskatoon riders?

Slats

Update: so I have decided on a 55t sprocket and chain upgrade. Thanks to sur ron usa (kim) he was easy to deal with and work with me on shipping.

I ordered a pair of pro taper bars 810mm 70mm. Thought I'd go with a size just a bit shorter as I'm 5'10" 165lbs but not a whole lot difference from the standard 80mm.

I was able to find some new break pad. The shimano ho3c are hard to come by and the alligator pad are even harder to find. (I'm Canadian) if anyone know where a guy can get alligator pad in canada. Please advise.. was able to find the ho3c on Ebay for a ok price. Ordered 2 pairs.

Slats

Canadianslats said:
Canadianslats said:
Hello,

Slats

Update: so I have decided on a 55t sprocket and chain upgrade. Thanks to sur ron usa (kim) he was easy to deal with and work with me on shipping.

I ordered a pair of pro taper bars 810mm 70mm. Thought I'd go with a size just a bit shorter as I'm 5'10" 165lbs but not a whole lot difference from the standard 80mm.

I was able to find some new break pad. The shimano ho3c are hard to come by and the alligator pad are even harder to find. (I'm Canadian) if anyone know where a guy can get alligator pad in canada. Please advise.. was able to find the ho3c on Ebay for a ok price. Ordered 2 pairs.

Slats

I have been dealing with Kim (aka Motomoto) for a long time now, he is great. You will really like the 55T. I am 85# heavier than you and I like the 55T. Its the best "all around" sprocket there is. I am currently running a 64T, but thats because I am using the SurRon to ride steep hills and trails, that is actually designated for dirt bikes.

7075 billet foot-peg mounts available now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUR-RON-MX-FOOT-PEG-MOUNTING-BRACKET-SUPPORT-SET-7075-BILLET-SEGWAY-SURRON/110980893002?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Since the weather was nice and I needed to get out of the house, I did the Fairfax-Bolinas road again.

Here is a map of the road. The map fails to portray how twisty the road actually is.

Bolinas-Fairfax Road map.JPG

About half the ride is through a giant redwood forest and ends up at the Pacific coast.

Img_1703.jpg

Bolinas lagoon and the Pacific Ocean in the background. It's natural air conditioning here but was quite warm at home.
Img_1702.jpg

Alpine Lake, around the half way point.
Img_1704.jpg

The Sur-ron is just wonderful on a road like this. My biggest problem is catching up to slow cars and the occasional wild animal crossing the road. I saw some wild turkeys that would definitely hurt if I hit them. Almost as big as the deer.

Trip statistics from the Cycle Analyst:
A 47 mile ride is enough to make my butt numb. Trip time was more like 3 hours but CA does not count time stopped in traffic or elsewhere. 12% regen is awesome. The road is near sea level at both ends but rises over the coast range. Max speed limit on the road is 35mph. Most of it is 25mph limit. Note my max speed was not much over the limit. After being pulled over by cops before, I am very careful to make sure speeding isn't a reason.

Bolinas-fairfax trip 2 stats.jpg

Great pics Fetcher, I have driven that road once before when I was staying with friends in Vacaville. Yah, its curvy as it gets.

Back