”The barge” efoil build

If it was just the connectors and not the wiring, you just have too high a resistance at the connector.

Looks like bullet types?

Could you tell if the damage started at the connection, or at the soldered ends?

If it was at the connection, then you'll probably need a bigger connector.

If it was at the wire-connector junction, then maybe something using a crimp instead, or a better way to ensure full connection between wire and connector?

first flight today :D :D :D
Once up on the wing it's a lot harder to balance and it speeds up quite a bit :D

I smacked into the water like 50 times so i feel quite beat up but still extremely happy with this build, three weeks to build a functioning efoil from scratch is not bad :thumb:

It's time to summarize this build :D

Costs:
wing assy 400 eur
epoxy 50 eur
glassfibre 50 eur
XPS 30 eur
3d print thread 30 eur
cables 15 eur
throttle 20 eur
Plywood 20 eur
enclosure 80 eur
connectors 10 eur
battery module 150 eur
80100 motor 150 eur
controller was borrowed, estimated 200 eur
total 1185 eur

(resistance wire 10eur, dimmer 25eur, PSU 75eur, only if you want to hotwire)

Effort:
Less than anticipated :D

It's been a blast! :bigthumb:

Very cool, forgot to post in this thread so I didn't get notified when you kept on posting. Luckily I remembered as I saw your nick in another thread.

Congrats on getting it working. Now to dial in the controller, and learn the balancing act while flying. This looks like a ton of fun.
Did you check the weight of the complete build?

Man you are gonna have tons of fun on that board.

I’ll weigh it, good idea! I can already find some optimization points, cutting some kilos won’t be difficult. It’s a bit overbuilt now.

I think the foil could be placed more rearwards and board be shorted from 180cm to 150 or so. It should be a bit more rounded off course, now the wind gets it. I’d like it a bit wider also for those accidental nose dives.

Some things will be updated on the efoil when i’m back home:
-Arming switch to be moved to where it doesn’t get knocked off
- Heat exchanger plate for controller in side of enclosure
- Small wall (hot glue) on bottom of enclosure for stopping battery from shifting during splash

Motor updates
- filling magnet spaces on rotor
- filling stator slot openings
- changing bearings to stainless

Waterproofing throttle
Charging port

.. and lots of riding! :D

larsb said:
I smacked into the water like 50 times so i feel quite beat up but still extremely happy with this build

Congrats on getting it flying. We've gotta come up with a multi-foil design that flies with stability but still leans to turn, something anyone can ride.

I don’t think it’s really so hard that it’s needed, i just need some practise :D I think the key is to have the board planing and just do small lifts/flights at first, then the water just catches you without a crash instead of smacks you and you get a lot more done :D

Btw, i saw a video where the surfer dude said that the foil i have is so stable that even a newbie would find it boring in one hour. Can’t say that i agree on that! :D

larsb said:
Improving the heat management of the controller: mounting a 400g alu block with heat paste between the two. Simple, crude but effective for a while :D
27DDDC34-DD3C-4ACB-889D-C1E9926A684D.jpeg
That reminds me of a guy from other forum that mounted about same sized block of copper to his cpu and was asking why temperature goes up and performance down after few minutes :lol:. Any video coming where we can see how the efoil performs and how epicly you fall from it? :mrgreen:

Block will be connected to the outside water through an alu plate so the heat has somehere to go, if that doesn’t work i’ll get active water cooling. I like simple systems so it will have to evolve only as needed :wink:
5FE6D682-6153-4A97-B2A4-574B4ADB8061.jpeg
And.. I’ll post videos when i’m at pro level :mrgreen:

Controller busted on last session.. It's nice to have the big board, paddling back was OK. Controller had three years use which is sort of 60-70 years old in controller years.

Maybe it got corona as well, i think i heard it coughing before it died. Getting a new one tomorrow :D

New controller installed.
I replaced the main area of the enclosure lid with an alu sheet for better heat transfer, left a little bit of the clear plastic on the rear for receiver and bms signals to go through and to be able to see the controller status lights.
015AC4CE-A979-45B8-A664-B616CEF02F9F.jpeg

Mods, can we ban this thread please? OP has implicitly refused to post action photos and videos of himself using the foil. Disgraceful.

Hahaha you started this about the same time I’ve been thinking about doing same thing. Watched liftfoil video and couldn’t stop thinking about it..... just like ebikes I’m 2010 no way I’m spending 10K on a bicycle I’ll build it!!

Anyways I’m still waiting on a maytech variant. It’s by flipsky.... $300 but still has not shipped from Banggood!

Also I’ve been thinking about how to dissipate controller heat and water cooled seems like best way to go. Have you considered?

I too have been printing out props because I have no idea what is going to work best??? Btw do you have a prop guard?

Cheers!

Some riding by a friend:
https://youtu.be/aTJX0zdj24w
There’s still a lot of this going on :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
D5DF0781-4D7A-4068-A603-93D9439B6741.jpeg
- I have no shroud, i am not overly concerned with that.

- Propellers: i will be trying some more, the one i have works OK, what prop you need will be unique for the drive you build.. cannot recommend anything.

- I agree water cooling is the way to go.. it’s everywhere around you, effective and easy. I’d skip a pump and let the water pressure drive the water to the controller. One less thing that could break :wink:

larsb said:
Controller busted on last session.. It's nice to have the big board, paddling back was OK. Controller had three years use which is sort of 60-70 years old in controller years.

Maybe it got corona as well, i think i heard it coughing before it died. Getting a new one tomorrow :D

Hahaha that pot really made my day. What a great sense of humor you got. I knew the was something off with my "scrapped controller box" - never thought the root problem was just old age. Makes perfect sense that one ordinary year is like 20 controller years. I will ship the broken ones to the south of spain, so they can play golf and zip colorful drinks with other old timers.

Nice being able to joke even after paddling back the e-foil to the shore. Did you get far off shore before break down?

Yeah don't rule out corona, the "one-meter-rule" is kind of hard to enforce riding an e-foil :lol:

macribs said:
I will ship mine to the south of spain, so they can play golf and zip colorful drinks with other old timers.

Nice being able to joke even after paddling back the e-foil to the shore. Did you get far off shore before break down?

I was on a lake so only 1km from starting point. Still a bit tiring for the shoulders..

I do have some controllers for that spain trip, unfortunately most of the time they have to work like slaves until they pass. Poor electric karma - I’ll come back as a bullfrog in my next life :mrgreen:
E1BE690E-F37B-49E9-BEFD-DD35C986736C.jpeg

Back