E-S LMX 64 Bike Owners

bzhwindtalker said:
PAS (cadence only) on a high power bike makes no sense, you need to have torque mesurement and the correct algorythms in order to have someting smooth.
We are working with the controllers manufaturer on futher improvements to the code for future firmware updates, especially above 35km/h where the cadence component (human watts) should take the lead over torque.
Regarding the SEM bike, they do not fall under our patent because the freewheek is not in the back. The drawback is that pedalling without motor always drives this extra chain. They took a lot of ideas and parts from our bikes in the design of theirs.
Hopefully the work we put into the drivetrain, control and homologation makes all the difference :bolt: :bolt:
Adam

For me i think you have the controller working pretty damn well as it is now Adam. I dont know how the older nuclear controller works, but the responsiveness of this one is great.

I like to use mine as a high powered EMBT and I leave the throttle alone accept on DH if i need more speed for a jump and I have my set slammed all the way in.

The Venom looks amazing because it looks pretty and is high powered, but no Torque sensor would be a deal breaker for me.

So the belt is possible to order now?
Is it tested OK?
What's the life expectancy in km?

If you browse back the thread you ll find out you can order the belt kit as an option, which means the team is content with current stability and noise level, but they cant warranty you a milage on the belt since they dont have enough feed back yet. This is why those who choose this option usually buy a spare replacement belt.

So, quick question. Has anyone here ridden both a newer (3rd or 4th gen) Bosch powered e-bike, and the LMX 64h with the new controller?

If so, can you comment on how natural the LMX feels in its lower power assist modes? EMTB mode on the Bosch is incredibly intuitive to ride even for someone like me who is new to PAS, and for the most part powerful enough on the trails I ride. That said my moto/endurocross background means I keep reaching for the throttle when the trail gets properly technical to lift a front wheel and power over obstacles / up ledges. Is the LMX the best of both worlds or would I be sacrificing feel for power?

Edit: More n00b questions from me - is the new display/controller possible to configure for the end user? I hear Adam is talking about a low power mode, and as I will be riding quite a bit with friends who have regular e-bikes I would like to tune that low power mode to be as similar to the Bosch EMTB mode as I can. That way if I leave the LMX in the lowest mode I won't run out of battery long before them, and I won't end up riding way faster than they do ;)

Freakyfuego1 said:
Hi everyone,

Any LMX 64 owner in the Neuchatel/ 3 Lacs area in Switzerland who wants to go for a ride ?

Yes living in Engelberg, Obwalden. About 2.5 hrs away from Neuchatel... tell me when you're in central Switzerland! Would love to finally ride with someone who can keep up ;)

I have the latest controller for the LMX. I find it better than my fathers Turbo levo. The torque sensing is very smooth. The only time it is a little jerky is if you are doing a track stand and not moving the pedals. This can be controlled for if you keep enough torque on the pedals. Other wise even at very slow and low cadence it is very smooth. I dont need to get out ove power mode 1 when riding with my dad up hill, when going down hill i usually bump it up to mode 3 so it can assist me at higher downhill speeds, not because i need extra power but because i need the assistance at higher speed.

Simonten said:
I have the latest controller for the LMX. I find it better than my fathers Turbo levo. The torque sensing is very smooth. The only time it is a little jerky is if you are doing a track stand and not moving the pedals. This can be controlled for if you keep enough torque on the pedals. Other wise even at very slow and low cadence it is very smooth. I dont need to get out ove power mode 1 when riding with my dad up hill, when going down hill i usually bump it up to mode 3 so it can assist me at higher downhill speeds, not because i need extra power but because i need the assistance at higher speed.

Thanks, that sounds very good indeed! I keep trying to convince myself to just buy a regular Bosch powered e-bike, but I just can't get over the fact that the LMX is simply a better design. Separating the forces from the motor and the pedals, with free wheels on both to prevent any interaction, is just brilliant.

I will be using this bike for some longer two or even three day expeditions into the forest with an extra battery (or two), and knowing that I have redundancy in the drive-train is just brilliant. If the pedal side fails I can ride it like a motorbike, if the motor side fails I can pedal it without any additional motor drag to worry about. Either way I should be able to get safely out of the forest without having to carry the bike ;)

What kind of range are people getting in the lower power modes? Anyone see a reduction in range from the belt drive? Intuitively it seems less efficient but I'm guessing it may not be much difference :)

Thanks, 50 km per battery is roughly what my friend is getting from his Bosch e-bike so that should do nicely! Found out today I can import the homologated version tax free which just knocked 25% off the price here in Norway... pretty happy with that ;) Just need to finalise the spec now and decide whether to buy it before winter (hoping for a few rides before the snow comes) or during winter ready for next season 🤔

Edit: Just watched the new VLOG from Adam, seems he is getting very good range even riding quite fast and using a lot of throttle. Looks promising for using this as a mini-adventure motorcycle 😎

jimmywazer said:
Freakyfuego1 said:
Hi everyone,

Any LMX 64 owner in the Neuchatel/ 3 Lacs area in Switzerland who wants to go for a ride ?

Yes living in Engelberg, Obwalden. About 2.5 hrs away from Neuchatel... tell me when you're in central Switzerland! Would love to finally ride with someone who can keep up ;)

Thank you for the invite! I was getting so desperate to ride with someone that I decided to order a second LMX 64... can't wait to receive it. Apparently there is a waiting list now... it was not the case in March when I ordered the first one.

Belt kit arrived from Adam yesterday and now have it on. First quick blast on the trails and I've got to say this is an awesome piece of kitIMG_20200725_111206_copy_1152x528.jpg

Every so sightly heavier, but not that you'd ever notice
IMG_20200725_074600_copy_528x1152.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_082206_copy_528x1152.jpg
    IMG_20200725_082206_copy_528x1152.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,467
Looks awesome Brian!
We'll have to get out for another ride and 'belt' it around the bush. :p

I finally put together a little video of our last few rides. No music on this one so you can really hear the noise of the belt/chain. Keep in mind the chain sound is resonating through the frame for most of the shots where you can really hear it, where as most of my shots are from a chest mount camera, so not exactly a direct audio comparison.
Enjoy!
[youtube]nwVnBR65T-0[/youtube]

Cheers

Hi Bryan

Thank for post the weights. The belt drives do indeed look good. I will be keen to see how the durability of the latest belt kits works out.

Yesterday i rode for 7 hours in a bike park yesterday and had between 25-49% battery left. My friends Kenevo Ran out. LMX 64 is a beast down hill.

CW have you done any work on the 2KW battery?

bzhwindtalker said:
Thanks for the feedback! install went OK?
Adam

Install went great Adam, the kit fits perfectly with no adjustment or clearancing of parts required, save for the brake caliper sitting very close to the belt pulley spokes. Maybe a little more material could be skimmed from the rear pulley spokes when they are machined.

Cowardlyduck said:
Looks awesome Brian!
We'll have to get out for another ride and 'belt' it around the bush. :p

I finally put together a little video of our last few rides. No music on this one so you can really hear the noise of the belt/chain. Keep in mind the chain sound is resonating through the frame for most of the shots where you can really hear it, where as most of my shots are from a chest mount camera, so not exactly a direct audio comparison.
Enjoy!

Cheers
Great vid CD, really like it. Hill climbing machines. Keep em coming.

benjamin84 said:
Simonten said:

Thanks, that sounds very good indeed! I keep trying to convince myself to just buy a regular Bosch powered e-bike, but I just can't get over the fact that the LMX is simply a better design. Separating the forces from the motor and the pedals, with free wheels on both to prevent any interaction, is just brilliant.

I will be using this bike for some longer two or even three day expeditions into the forest with an extra battery (or two), and knowing that I have redundancy in the drive-train is just brilliant. If the pedal side fails I can ride it like a motorbike, if the motor side fails I can pedal it without any additional motor drag to worry about. Either way I should be able to get safely out of the forest without having to carry the bike ;)

What kind of range are people getting in the lower power modes? Anyone see a reduction in range from the belt drive? Intuitively it seems less efficient but I'm guessing it may not be much difference :)

When the controller is set up to the same power as a standard pedelec max speed 25-27 kmh. No throttle and nominal power of 250watts, which mean you can still pull more power for short periods, ca. 500 watts. Then you can get 160km on the 850watt battery.

ya or just double it to 320km with 2.5wh/km :thumb:

my gf is doing marathon & duathlon stuff. she rides her 20kg mid-ebike with 7wh/km. no throttle. 12wh/km in badass steep alpine stuff.

if you hit 70km with your battery you are allready on the lucky site :lol:

riding one of the strongest eMTBs with less than 10wh/km makes no sense. because if you are able to pedal a 29kg brick bike at 10wh/km
you could ride any 12kg mtb without juice.

It‘s the mixed set up which make it fun. Some areas are full of fun. Others just a ride in-between. To extend the range and reach the fun areas you can mix up the settings to get to the fun areas still having the full power available. I would typically only get 32km out of the battery. But with the new set up can get to 60km without problems, That‘s 40km of fun and 20km in-between areas. I.e. Other settings, let‘s you ride longer at 30kmh and only turnIng on the power when needed. Here my route from home has been extended. Before I would get to the area and have to head home before I had really enjoyed the area. Now, I can ride fast to the area, turn on the power and have fun and still be able to make it home before the battery runs out. In the beginning I was happy to have peddle as I ran out of battery before I got home. Peddling at 25kmh with battery is far better that peddling at 10kmh without battery. Have you every tried this? I was knackered. Mixing the settings give you everything. PS. Even at the low settings, the speed can be greatly increased without pulling so much power from the battery. At the lowest settings the range is greatly and I mean greatly increased. Is that fun, would I ride like that all day? well I suppose it‘s where you’re riding. Not getting noticed by others is high on my agenda. I.e. I also have a no throttle setting, to stop me overtaking everyone. This is brilliant for keeping myself under control. As soon as they can’t see me I’m off again and with the belt drive, they can‘t hear me. Major, major improvement to the LMX.
Sometime I pack the bike into my van and drive to the better areas. Now you don‘t need any low settings. The nucular controller allows you to play with these configurations to set up your own preferences. I have 9 configuration sets. That‘s 27 difference modes. I even have a walk mode now in ECO. Man you can set this up to what ever you want. It’s takes time to get them all right. Ride strong, ride safe, ride with respect for Others. PS CD, the 5000amp change has made for a very nice little boost. Works absolutely perfectly from starting speeds. At cruising speed I don‘t notice it as much. But it‘s now apart of my full power mode.
If you had a race car with only one tank of fuel, would you empty it before getting to the race track?

Hi. I broke my back wheel and i need to replaced it. Has anyone used other rim than halo vortex? Halo is fine but i cant find rim separately easily.. If someboby can provide setup for new rim and spokes, i would be thankful. I started to calculate spokes and rims with dtswiss calculator. I found out that i need some measures for hub. Can anyone provide these? Pls see the pic1DEE8133-8602-4130-B319-5B05D04B282A.jpeg
What kind setup you prefer? Any recommendations?
Thank you

Just finished installing the belt drive!
After some struggle with a generous amount of locktight i was able to get the locking nut of the rear wheel. I also had to re-engineer a gear puller to remove the front gear.

It's a night and day difference in noise. Very smart engineering, I'm impressed that LMX was able to squeeze that in as a replacement kit. Seems durable as well. Some close tolerances but it will probably be fine. Those who still complain about noise should probably stick to regular bikes.

The only downside I've seen so far is that be top speed is reduced by almost 8 to 10 km/h per ride mode (1,2 and 3)
Not sure what the reason for that is yet.

Haven't had time to test it off-road yet but will do tomorrow
arXSCoG.jpg
!

Back