Domino Throttle

General Discussion about large electric scooters and motorcycles and other things with no pedals.
User avatar
teslanv   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2680
Joined: Nov 03 2013 8:42pm
Location: Bellevue, WA - USA
Contact:

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by teslanv » Apr 15 2016 12:43pm

Any recommendations for a USA seller of the Domino Throttle?
I have a project that I want to try it out on.
DD Hubs, Batteries, Controllers & Custom Ebikes.
http://westcoastelectrics.com
West Coast Electric Cycles
Bellevue, WA
USA

User avatar
bigbore   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 531
Joined: Sep 25 2009 7:43am
Location: Italy

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by bigbore » Apr 23 2016 6:07pm

teslanv wrote:Any recommendations for a USA seller of the Domino Throttle?
I have a project that I want to try it out on.
Did you already saw this?
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/domin ... witch.html

Hummina Shadeeba   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2067
Joined: Apr 25 2014 10:26pm

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » May 06 2016 1:17am

Do u have advice on what throttle would be easy to hook up to a vesc controller?

User avatar
Doctorbass   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7438
Joined: Apr 08 2007 2:24am
Location: Quebec, Canada East
Contact:

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by Doctorbass » May 18 2016 3:50pm

Is there any cheaper source than the 90$ one for these great throttle grip?

Doc
CURRENT PROJECT: 2WD duo MXUS/Max-E ebike 32kW
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=65764
-Fastest speed record 117 km/h on flat
-Fastest 1/4 mile@ 114km/h on flat and 16.316 sec
-Succeded to haul a 19200 pounds schoolbus!
113kmh Gianthttp://www.evalbum.com/3406
Mongoosehttp://www.evalbum.com/1947
YOUTUBE---https://m.youtube.com/user/Doctorbasss
http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon
I speak FRENCH and english

Hummina Shadeeba   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2067
Joined: Apr 25 2014 10:26pm

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » May 18 2016 5:59pm

This thing looks good but is there anything half decent for less?

User avatar
Merlin   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2054
Joined: Jan 29 2013 10:00am
Location: europe

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by Merlin » May 20 2016 3:52am

Doctorbass wrote:Is there any cheaper source than the 90$ one for these great throttle grip?

Doc
i think this is the first time europe has an advantage :P

62$ in Austria.
18$ shipping to USA

User avatar
myzter   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 404
Joined: Aug 08 2008 11:30am
Location: Van, B.C.
Contact:

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by myzter » May 24 2016 11:44pm

Wow .. we need this at lower cost...
/ quantum effects improve the efficiency of plant photosynthesis in a way that classical physics cannot allow
SolarCross

User avatar
dan974   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 417
Joined: Jun 12 2012 1:36am
Location: Reunion Island

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by dan974 » Jul 20 2016 10:47pm

https://fasterbikes.eu/en/throttle-brak ... e-pas.html

EDIT :LINK is dead as I took the last one in stock, contact them, should be available soon
Last edited by dan974 on Jul 21 2016 12:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hummina Shadeeba   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2067
Joined: Apr 25 2014 10:26pm

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by Hummina Shadeeba » Jul 21 2016 10:35am

Link won't work.

User avatar
methods   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4745
Joined: Aug 08 2008 12:08pm
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Contact:

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by methods » Jun 07 2018 9:46am

Domino commercial offerings are not super.
They obviously offer custom variants - as you have seen on some Electric Motorcycles

I have worked with them (on the bench - not in service)
This was the 5K pot version with the micro switch purchased from the only US vendor I can find.

They are leaps and bounds better than the Maguras from a fit and finish perspective.

A = top of pot
W = wiper
B = bottom of pot
S1 = top of switch
S2 = bottom of switch

To get them to play nice with the Sevcon (out of the box) we do the following:
1) Run a 100ohm resistor inline with A to the Sevcon "10V" throttle output (~13ish volts)
2) B directly to the Sevcon ground lug via a "home run" (dont make ground loops)
3) W directly to the Sevcon Throttle 1 input
4) S1 ties to A (to grab a potential - close to the Sevcon - in an IP67 rated enclosure or potting)
5) S2 ties to the strapped and pulled down gate of a 200V IR Dpak (protected low side switch)
6) Drain (strapped to source with a 150V TVS) acts on FS1 or any other Sevcon interlock input
7) Source ties to B, home run to the Sevcon ground lug, dont make ground loops

Result is that the throttle can interlock the Sevcon
No additional voltages are introduced to the throttle cavity
Sufficient margin is included to avoid short circuit failure (test with AC noise - gets clamped at TVS on Gate and Drain/Dource)

No field data - other than a few runs

As for POT vs Hall -
A magnet running up against a hall sensor will obviously outlive a wipe running down a POT.
The signal to noise ratio is about 3X worse on the hall - but you have to consider drive current.
A 1.8V to 3.8V hall, that is biased to push a good current, may well be more noise immune than a 10V pot

10V / 5K = 2mA bias current, so 20mW of control power
Little to no current flowing thru the wiper - 0-10V into 100k ~ 0mA to 100uA
No shielding provided

Unknown quiescent current into the hall sensor
Unknown output drive current ability on the hall sensor

I can tell you that you will have noise issues
They can be dealt with in any number of ways

Things that are stiff ... rattle differently than things which are soft*
Get your scope out and look at the noise developed between Throttle In and Sevcon Ground
Bypass with caps and diodes across your operating range if required

Should someone find a COTS source for the dual magnetic I will commit to buying 10pcs
Until then, and due to Zero's business practices around procurement and parts - the custom version is basically unavailable (other than ordering wholesale direct from supplier in bulk)

...

The primary concern is locking out anything that will cause the motor to turn unintentionally.
The switch in the throttle does a fine job of this

Do not run the high voltage (Vbat/2) directly into the switch in the throttle.
FS1 is approximated by two 44k resistors across Vbat presenting to the user, in the case of a 120V pack, 60V
It takes (calculation or measurement, cant remember) 2.5mA of sink to pull FS1 to 4.4V
Thats about 5V * 2.5mA = 12.5mW in round numbers (thats what you need to drive with your mosfet)

...

-methods
Increasing battery voltage and controller current limit will result in a non linear experience

User avatar
methods   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4745
Joined: Aug 08 2008 12:08pm
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Contact:

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by methods » Jun 07 2018 10:21am

P.S.
Finally ordering parts today for the (very basic) board that interfaces the throttle switch to the Sevcon input.

250V IR Power fet (octa-overkill... but it wont short out on you)
3KW TVS for gate and Drain/Source (octa-overkill... but it wont short out on you)
10K on the pulldown, 100ohm on the inline (just to kill a little more high frequency noise)
Smallest PCB possible thu OSH park

Ordering 6 PCB's at a few bucks a piece
Parts to make 10

2 to enthusiast in Canada
2 to enthusiast in California
2 for me to try and break

Potting them in a way similar to how the Ideal Diodes are potted - we will see how it lays up
No pigtails coming out (shit is ghetto) - instead PCB tabs coming out
Spaced reasonably - where user can determine end required

Options:
* PCB mounted IP67 then backpot (too complicated and big)
* Pigtail out (done that, too ghetto)
* raw board, sandwich bag, packed with dielectric (could do it)
* Non-IP rated connector on a potted board packed with grease (will survive)

Eh....

Going to go over to GRIN and try and see what low cost connectors Justin has managed to get to survive across IP67.
Will see.

(moving turtle slow as always... as this work is NOT ~"1hp gokart stuff")

Be careful with powerful stuff*

-methods
Increasing battery voltage and controller current limit will result in a non linear experience

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1163
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by DasDouble » Aug 05 2019 7:29am

Do you guys think a ball-bearing Throttle would be over-engineered? Im currently designing one and think about this idea as well.
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

potatonet   100 W

100 W
Posts: 173
Joined: Sep 09 2008 2:22pm

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by potatonet » Aug 08 2019 12:35am

Would love to see a ball bearing half throttle for Electric motorcycles, similar to this domino or the Hirschman E throttle.

I saw a kit for Arlen Ness ball bearings and have found some throttle + Brake control issues on an Alta, want half throttle, much safer than these full throttle kits on that bike.

flat tire   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1968
Joined: Feb 26 2014 12:20am

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by flat tire » Aug 08 2019 12:44am

Domino is inexpensive for what you get, which is the highest quality ebike throttle commonly available. But that doesn't mean it's the best possible quality.

Yeah a high end, ball bearing (or whatever) throttle would be cool. I would buy one if it was higher quality than domino. I think a good price point would be ~$250.

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1163
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by DasDouble » Aug 13 2019 4:13am

flat tire wrote:
Aug 08 2019 12:44am
Domino is inexpensive for what you get, which is the highest quality ebike throttle commonly available. But that doesn't mean it's the best possible quality.

Yeah a high end, ball bearing (or whatever) throttle would be cool. I would buy one if it was higher quality than domino. I think a good price point would be ~$250.
potatonet wrote:
Aug 08 2019 12:35am
Would love to see a ball bearing half throttle for Electric motorcycles, similar to this domino or the Hirschman E throttle.

I saw a kit for Arlen Ness ball bearings and have found some throttle + Brake control issues on an Alta, want half throttle, much safer than these full throttle kits on that bike.
Im on it. Check out my topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101691
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

E5J7R   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 28
Joined: Apr 20 2020 9:24pm

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by E5J7R » Jul 26 2020 6:29pm

Can anyone please help me wire my domino throttle. I understand where the positive negative and signal wires connect with the pins and waterproof connector... but what about the other two spots (last two out of five connections in connector). The diagram says they are green ?? I don’t know what the heck that means... I’m a newb btw in case u can’t already tell.
Attachments
BA2D1638-1EE5-40D5-80FB-3FDF536E2549.jpeg
BA2D1638-1EE5-40D5-80FB-3FDF536E2549.jpeg (61.61 KiB) Viewed 232 times

E5J7R   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 28
Joined: Apr 20 2020 9:24pm

Re: Cycle Analyst v3 + Domino Throttle wiring

Post by E5J7R » Jul 26 2020 7:11pm

Hi did u ever figure this out ? I’m stuck... i got a domino and I know where the pos, neg, and signal go to. There are two more pins in the 5 pin connector and the diagram says they are green wires??? Where do I connect those to. I saw a video and it says to only use the three pins and leave the other two unused. Is that correct, I’m affraid I’ll hook it up and ruin my bike lol. Sorry I’m new.

tolkaNo   100 W

100 W
Posts: 151
Joined: Dec 29 2017 4:28am
Location: South Australia

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by tolkaNo » Jul 26 2020 11:36pm

E5J7R wrote:
Jul 26 2020 6:29pm
Can anyone please help me wire my domino throttle. I understand where the positive negative and signal wires connect with the pins and waterproof connector... but what about the other two spots (last two out of five connections in connector). The diagram says they are green ?? I don’t know what the heck that means... I’m a newb btw in case u can’t already tell.
Connect blue (5v) and green together

Other green becomes new 5v wire

It runs the voltage wire through the internal microswitch

E5J7R   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 28
Joined: Apr 20 2020 9:24pm

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by E5J7R » Jul 28 2020 10:11pm

Sorry I’m dumb lol what does a microswitch do? I hooked it all up without the green wires and got a throttle error And motor cut off. Two places. First while sitting at zero throttle ... then as I turn it , the error goes away. Then after about 75% turn of throttle then it gives the error again which stops the motor and it won’t start again until I fully untwist the throttle and twist again... which make the thing pretty much useless to me. Uggg. I read could be as problem die to my controller possibly having a resistor that is a hig/low voltage safety cutoff. And it trips that when the domino gives a too low or too high voltage. Is there a workaround? Thanks

Ps are the green wires for regenerative breaking? My controller is to basic for that fancy stuff

E5J7R   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 28
Joined: Apr 20 2020 9:24pm

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by E5J7R » Jul 28 2020 10:16pm

DasDouble wrote:
Aug 05 2019 7:29am
Do you guys think a ball-bearing Throttle would be over-engineered? Im currently designing one and think about this idea as well.
Sounds good I want one

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1163
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by DasDouble » Aug 01 2020 8:52am

E5J7R wrote:
Jul 28 2020 10:16pm
DasDouble wrote:
Aug 05 2019 7:29am
Do you guys think a ball-bearing Throttle would be over-engineered? Im currently designing one and think about this idea as well.
Sounds good I want one
I have started to design one but I need to finish my other projects first. Will take a while until its ready for sale.
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14856
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: Domino Throttle

Post by fechter » Aug 01 2020 11:58am

E5J7R wrote:
Jul 28 2020 10:11pm
Sorry I’m dumb lol what does a microswitch do? I hooked it all up without the green wires and got a throttle error And motor cut off. Two places. First while sitting at zero throttle ... then as I turn it , the error goes away. Then after about 75% turn of throttle then it gives the error again which stops the motor and it won’t start again until I fully untwist the throttle and twist again... which make the thing pretty much useless to me. Uggg. I read could be as problem die to my controller possibly having a resistor that is a hig/low voltage safety cutoff. And it trips that when the domino gives a too low or too high voltage. Is there a workaround? Thanks

Ps are the green wires for regenerative breaking? My controller is to basic for that fancy stuff

You probably need to add fixed resistors in series with pins 1 and 3 so the output will be 1-4v instead of 0-5v. 1.2K as I remember assuming the throttle is 5k.

The microswitch is intended for a contactor. I would just not use those wires on a brushless motor.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Post Reply