TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

PROBLEM ?? TSDZ2 With Casainho V1.0.0 POWER FLUCTUATION with 860C

[youtube]aURlfztgUZE[/youtube]

In the video first I started with Throttle at 20 and at second 35 I changed to 100.

Some time ago I detected that the Motor had sudden power drops, even reaching zero power, for no apparent reason. I thought it was a problem with HW. Perhaps an inaccurate indication of the Torque Sensor (TS) or the Cadence Sensor (CS).

However when I was recording a video to check the evolution of the TSDZ2 engine temperature with and without Thermal Pad and with and without heat sinks I noticed something inexplicable.

Power and PWM varied and fluctuated inexplicably.

The test was being performed in Vitual Throttle (VT) mode at the maximum level.

The FW Version is the latest, V1.0.0, with a 48V motor and a 63V battery.

I did the same test with two different motor and the effect is the same. One of the motor is new and the other has only 700 km of use.

Once in VT mode, power fluctuation is not expected to be an effect of incorrect TS or CS indications. Is this statement correct?

What are these fluctuations in Potency due to? will it be a consequence of the PWM fluctuation?

Why does PWM change suddenly?

When riding a bike the effect is very unpleasant because it is always present and can even be dangerous because if we are in the middle of a very steep climb, 15 to 20%, and the power drops to zero, it can cause a fall.

These fluctuations are very frequent as you can see in the video.

Is it some incorrect FW configuration? I only activated the Field weakening and the temperature sensor. I also changed the battery values ​​according to the 63V. The other settings are the default settings.

Is it a problem in the engine HW that blocks the engine and forces the power to drop?

Could it be an FW problem?

Could it be lack of processing power from the controller?

I Hope you can Help me in this forum.

I love Casainho fimware a lot!!

Hello,

I don’t know if it’s the best place to post this, but, if not let me know, what could be the best place.
I would like to apologize in advance for 4 things:
- 1st time for me to post on a forum (I don’t master way to post and rules),
- 1st time to program in C, so quality of my program might be significantly improvable,
- Spelling mistakes, grammar errors (I’m French),
- I will not be able to support (reply to questions) and to bring updates and improvements. It took me a lot of time to reach this (intermediate) result, and I will not be able to spend more time.
In fact, as I really enjoyed to use the program from Casainho (thanks to him) for Bafang 850c, I also would like to share what I did during COVID lockdown to make some changes to Bafang 850c HMI.
This is not a proofed and perfect code, and you could see often display glitches, but up to you to improve.
I started from 860C_850C_SW102_v0.9.0-beta.2 version.
By the way there are some mistakes between files stored for version beta2 and beta1. For example, the communication settings between TSDZ2 and 850c are not correct ones.
I could not carry over my modifications to current version 1.0 because I ran out of RAM. I got an error during compilation/linking.

Features
o Still 3 screens available
- 2 as designed by Casainho, with the same features than in the original version
- 1 with new HMI
o No change on battery bar and time in the upper part
o Speed display
- big centred instant value
- circular bargraph, green below 30 km/h
- mean value during trip
o Indicators. Use of a logo for state display of:
- Brakes pressed
- Lights on
- Walk assist on
o Powers
- Human power with associated bargraph, red above 250W, max=400w
- Human power with associated bargraph, red above 500W, max = 750w
o Other information, in bottom of the screen with smaller size
- Total human energy burnt, in Wh to be easily compared with battery energy
- Trip distance
- Trip time
- Energy ratio during trip: the higher it is the better it is for your health😉, it means you used more your legs than the battery energy. Ratio = human energy during trip over electrical energy during trip.
- Range: estimated remaining range in km. Remaining battery energy multiplied by average consumption in km/Wh. This average consumption is a moving average over the last 2 km, updated every 100m.
- Battery voltage
o Simulation mode
- More based on physics based on sinusoidal human power signal on a road with a constant slope
As a summary, please find below what it looks like.

Bafang-850c-new-HMI-description.png

I posted also a video on YouTube®.
[youtube]SmU33wBe4pc[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/SmU33wBe4pc
I hope it could be interesting for some users.

Source code and bin file:
source code files :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11gYMwdrxno1Cv4jDd7aeHRL8T98rgxIB/view?usp=sharing
bin file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vS3FpPrHaIHQeA3MamfE1qYbP05v93qG/view?usp=sharing

Toolchain
As I struggled to set up the build chain for windows, I also shared with you my cooking recipe.
Compilation toolchain procedure for Windows
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AcbNGNWL8JqlTR9db45aKkkEGBrgnr2K/view?usp=sharing

bye and thanks to @Casainho

AZUR said:
PROBLEM ?? TSDZ2 With Casainho V1.0.0 POWER FLUCTUATION with 860C

[youtube]aURlfztgUZE[/youtube]

In the video first I started with Throttle at 20 and at second 35 I changed to 100.

Some time ago I detected that the Motor had sudden power drops, even reaching zero power, for no apparent reason. I thought it was a problem with HW. Perhaps an inaccurate indication of the Torque Sensor (TS) or the Cadence Sensor (CS).

However when I was recording a video to check the evolution of the TSDZ2 engine temperature with and without Thermal Pad and with and without heat sinks I noticed something inexplicable.

Power and PWM varied and fluctuated inexplicably.

The test was being performed in Vitual Throttle (VT) mode at the maximum level.

The FW Version is the latest, V1.0.0, with a 48V motor and a 63V battery.

I did the same test with two different motor and the effect is the same. One of the motor is new and the other has only 700 km of use.

Once in VT mode, power fluctuation is not expected to be an effect of incorrect TS or CS indications. Is this statement correct?

What are these fluctuations in Potency due to? will it be a consequence of the PWM fluctuation?

When riding a bike the effect is very unpleasant because it is always present and can even be dangerous because if we are in the middle of a very steep climb, 15 to 20%, and the power drops to zero, it can cause a fall.

These fluctuations are very frequent as you can see in the video.

Is it some incorrect FW configuration? I only activated the Field weakening and the temperature sensor. I also changed the battery values ​​according to the 63V. The other settings are the default settings.

Is it a problem in the engine HW that blocks the engine and forces the power to drop?

Could it be an FW problem?

Could it be lack of processing power from the controller?

I Hope you can Help me in this forum.

I love Casainho fimware a lot!!

Hi,

You can see in the photo the test scenario.

20200719_094834_V3.jpg

AZUR said:

Yes, theoretically Virtual Throttle is independent of the other input sensors like pedal cadence and pedal torque but in reality, there can be a bug on the firmware that still uses other inputs while on VT. Or can be some other bug, I don know.
Another thing, running the motor like that without load / bicycle with rider on top, does probably make the motor speed and power oscillate a bit more.

Not counting the FOC control, the only thing that is direct controlled is the PWM value, then, indirectly the battery and motor currents as also power, is controlled (as simple as increase PWM until motor current is lower than target value and decrease when motor current is over - the same for other variables like battery current, motor max speed, etc).

I am a bit tired of this project, I hope others can find this issue and solve it.

izeman said:
ted_do said:
I posted also a video on YouTube®.
[youtube]SmU33wBe4pc[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/SmU33wBe4pc
I hope it could be interesting for some users.
Thanks. Looks excellent and goes well with the "old" design.
+1 What a nice feature !! I'll try to improve it. I'm a bit like you (first time in C programming and French too).
You did a great job !
For RAM missing, I saw that the graphs consume a lot of it. Maybe we could remove some of them.

ted_do said:
Features
o Still 3 screens available
- 2 as designed by Casainho, with the same features than in the original version
- 1 with new HMI
o No change on battery bar and time in the upper part
o Speed display
- big centred instant value
- circular bargraph, green below 30 km/h
- mean value during trip
o Indicators. Use of a logo for state display of:
- Brakes pressed
- Lights on
- Walk assist on
o Powers
- Human power with associated bargraph, red above 250W, max=400w
- Human power with associated bargraph, red above 500W, max = 750w
o Other information, in bottom of the screen with smaller size
- Total human energy burnt, in Wh to be easily compared with battery energy
- Trip distance
- Trip time
- Energy ratio during trip: the higher it is the better it is for your health😉, it means you used more your legs than the battery energy. Ratio = human energy during trip over electrical energy during trip.
- Range: estimated remaining range in km. Remaining battery energy multiplied by average consumption in km/Wh. This average consumption is a moving average over the last 2 km, updated every 100m.
- Battery voltage
o Simulation mode
- More based on physics based on sinusoidal human power signal on a road with a constant slope
As a summary, please find below what it looks like.

Bafang-850c-new-HMI-description.png

Wau. For my eyes looks about perfect info screen. I'm having 860c and suppose this bin won't work with it?

ted_do said:
- 1st time to program in C, so quality of my program might be significantly improvable,

- I will not be able to support (reply to questions) and to bring updates and improvements. It took me a lot of time to reach this (intermediate) result, and I will not be able to spend more time.

This is not a proofed and perfect code, and you could see often display glitches, but up to you to improve.

As I struggled to set up the build chain for windows
Thanks for sharing and great work!!

So I would say you are used to high level programming language?

I understand why you will not be able to provide support, you say it is an intermediate state, has some glitches, took you a lot of time to do it and you don´t have more time.
Also the development is hard and slow on this low level.

I clearly understand you, that is why I decided to stop development on the displays as I think it is very hard to keep developing new features, maintain and give support.
That is why I think is best to go to a high level system like the Gamin GPS units where we can develop custom apps in high level language, much easier to make graphical. Other than that, we also get access to other advanced feature like GPS signal, other cycling sensors, navigation, cycling fitness metrics, user heart rate, etc.

Hello,

thank you very muchh for your positive comments.
Hoping you could use it and improve it.
I prepared it for 850c display. I don't know if it could work for 860c.

As soon I'll be back from my holidays, I'll try to compile it for 860C and implement it on last version.
That's what I wanted to do in the future, it will be a lot easier for me now.

jeff.page.rides said:
HughF said:
jeff.page.rides said:
HughF said:
Jeff, do you have assistance without pedal rotation enabled?

I tried it both ways, one way schutters and then starts to go the other way the power doesn't start for at least 2 rotations.
Yep, it stutters for me too, but because I always ride at a very high assist level (13 by default on my sw102), I find it gets me going very quickly away from the lights and the stuttering soon disappears within 1/2 crank rotation. If you've set things up as per my settings I posted a good few pages back, I can't think of anything else except trying the high current ramp fork that user r0mko made back in April.

I think awop+torque mode should be the default for these motors. EVERYONE comes into here to complain about the lack of assistance when starting out, and the lack of assistance below a certain cadence.

I attached my CHEAT SHEET that I use when I'm on my hand-cycle that has all my current settings.
If you see anything that would help with torque on the low end let me know?
Share Handcycle, Basic TSDZ2 motor controller firmware version 1.0.0.rtf
THANKS,
Jeff

Today on my ride I tried several times to do the torque sensor calibration with no luck at first, I had to stop and disable it each time I tried. Then I put my screen in technical. The ACD setting on my torque sensor with no wait is at 130 to 133. Pedaling As hard as I could in a high gear at a low speed the highest ACD setting I saw was 205. Then I tried to push and pull the luggage scale hooked to the crank with the wheel off the ground as hard as I could the highest weight I could do was 100 pounds. On a handcycle both the cranks are pointed the same direction all the time. So I set both right and left with the same setting. I wasn't able to do all this until I got home so I just went for a short ride around the subdivision in the hot sun. And this time with torque sensor calibration enabled it seems to work just as good as with it disabled. The next time I ride will be able to see for sure what the differences are. I attached a picture of my torque sensor calibration settings!
Thanks HuhgF for the tips on setting the Torque Sensor!

Torque Sensor Calibration_1.jpg

Jeff, from your post it sounds like you have two cycles, one you pedal and one that is hand crank; is this correct?

I dont bother with full torque sensor calibration, I just set the maximum weight to whatever I weigh at the time of calibration. Usually around 73kgs as my weight is stable, and I'm a skinny bastard.

If you can pull 100lbs on your hand cranks, you need to set that weight and the corresponding adc value for the highest entry in the calibration menu.

HughF said:
Jeff, from your post it sounds like you have two cycles, one you pedal and one that is hand crank; is this correct?

I dont bother with full torque sensor calibration, I just set the maximum weight to whatever I weigh at the time of calibration. Usually around 73kgs as my weight is stable, and I'm a skinny bastard.

If you can pull 100lbs on your hand cranks, you need to set that weight and the corresponding adc value for the highest entry in the calibration menu.

Yes my handcycle and my wife's bike. If you could see on the photo # 8 is set at 99 pounds all I can pull or push and 199 ACD the highest I could get when riding. You can see in the photo # 1 is set at 0 weight and 130 ACD with no weight on the cranks. Then I just set the rest at even spaces. I haven't tried any of this on her bike.

jeff.page.rides said:
HughF said:

Yes my handcycle and my wife's bike. If you could see on the photo # 8 is set at 99 pounds all I can pull or push and 199 ACD the highest I could get when riding. You can see in the photo # 1 is set at 0 weight and 130 ACD with no weight on the cranks. Then I just set the rest at even spaces. I haven't tried any of this on her bike.
Sorry Jeff, I didn't see your photo. Looks like you have set things up correctly. I note from your post that you had the same behaviour with calibrations enabled as well as disabled? I take this to mean that the calibrations haven't made any improvement to your performance. I hope that isn't the case and you have managed to get improved performance.

Sorry to Hijack the threat but just wanted to give a big thanks to all that make the OSF possible (and also the lcdX version).
In just a month time i went from reading to buying, compiling Firmware and modding the engine (thermal pads and sensor), and i pretty suck at all of them (well compiling i dont suck so much :) ) but was able to do it because of the damn good work (and documentation) you ppl have done.

:D

HughF said:
jeff.page.rides said:
HughF said:

Sorry Jeff, I didn't see your photo. Looks like you have set things up correctly. I note from your post that you had the same behaviour with calibrations enabled as well as disabled? I take this to mean that the calibrations haven't made any improvement to your performance. I hope that isn't the case and you have managed to get improved performance.
Hugh,
I hope I get improved performance also! I only had a chance to ride around our flat & small subdivision. So I'm hoping when I get out of the trail I can really see a difference.
Thanks, Jeff

jeff.page.rides said:
HughF said:
jeff.page.rides said:
HughF said:

Hugh,
I hope I get improved performance also! I only had a chance to ride around our flat & small subdivision. So I'm hoping when I get out of the trail I can really see a difference.
Thanks, Jeff

Sorry this may be a silly question but are the weight values in the torque sensor calibration window measured in Pounds when in SI unit mode and KG when in Metric?

I calibrated when still in metric mode and then switched to SI later ( I'm in the UK and MPH is what we are used to for speed) does that meen I should recalibrate with values calculated in pounds?

perryscope said:
jeff.page.rides said:
HughF said:
jeff.page.rides said:
Hugh,
Thanks, Jeff

Sorry this may be a silly question but are the weight values in the torque sensor calibration window measured in Pounds when in SI unit mode and KG when in Metric?

I calibrated when still in metric mode and then switched to SI later ( I'm in the UK and MPH is what we are used to for speed) does that meen I should recalibrate with values calculated in pounds?

As far as I know when you change between SI & KG everything changes over.
Look at your settings then change between SI & KG and look at your settings again.
That will show you what changes.

Noob question sorry.

Given it took 4 months for my 860C display to arrive from China, I'm keen to check it works before flashing my motor (and risking having to wait for a new controller or display if something does go wrong somewhere)

Anyhow, I can program my 860C using a DIY bootloader box, just like this https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike...sh-the-firmware-on-860C-850C-using-bootloader

But I cant get the display to turn on. The instructions say to turn it on to confirm that everything is ok while still connected to the computer. I long press the power button but nothing happens. I have tried connecting the P+ and Vin to the 32v from the voltage booster, and also connecting them individually - same result - screen is black.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

marshy said:
But I cant get the display to turn on. The instructions say to turn it on to confirm that everything is ok while still connected to the computer. I long press the power button but nothing happens. I have tried connecting the P+ and Vin to the 32v from the voltage booster, and also connecting them individually - same result - screen is black.

Hmmm, that should not happen. To flash, it starts only when display boots, so, you need to press the on/off button. Try to flash and then just repeat, you will see it only flash again if you turn on/off with the button -- that will validate that the firmware is working and turn off with a long press and turn on with a short press. If this works, then means the firmware is working other way is only to power on/off using the power.

If the firmware is working but you see nothing on the display, I can only think on a dead display. You can try to connect to the TSDZ2 and see if it boots correctly, by waiting a like 20 seconds and then increase the assistance level and then pull the pedals or using walk assist - even if the screen is dead, it will work, as there is no feedback from the screen to the firmware. Screen can be dead but firmware will not know it.

During development I did some short circuits and got 2 screens dead, all black, so, I know this is possible to happen.

marshy said:
Noob question sorry.

Given it took 4 months for my 860C display to arrive from China, I'm keen to check it works before flashing my motor (and risking having to wait for a new controller or display if something does go wrong somewhere)

Anyhow, I can program my 860C using a DIY bootloader box, just like this https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike...sh-the-firmware-on-860C-850C-using-bootloader

I have a simular issue on my TSDZ2 at the moment where the Vin wire from the Motor is held at battery voltage ( even with the display unplugged) this is causing the 850C to refuse to boot if connected to this wire ( the motor is already powered up). the SW102 display is fine with this and starts as normal.I have a new driver on the way to resolve this.

In the meantime what I found is if I hold power down on the 850C display then turn on the power at the battery the 850c starts fine and connects to the motor. You could try that. maybe you have the same issue with the 860c?

jeff.page.rides said:
perryscope said:
jeff.page.rides said:
HughF said:
Hugh,
Thanks, Jeff

As far as I know when you change between SI & KG everything changes over.
Look at your settings then change between SI & KG and look at your settings again.
That will show you what changes.

Thanks Jeff, I had not really noticed this but indeed i was entering the weights in KG but whilst in Imperial mode so i was way out. and yes you are correct and the values do change between modes. I think i may just stick to metric mode from now on :wink:

Hello, I'm happy user TSDZ2 with opensource firmware.
I have just one problem.
The motor does not stop immediately when I stop pedaling, but after 0,5 - 1 sec.
There was no problem with the original software.

Do You have any idea where is the problem?
I tried many settings but nothing helps.

Display: 860C
firmware: 1.0.0
cadence fast stop mode: enable (no matter also the same when is disable)
(I have 2 bikes with this engine and software, and the same problem is with both)

Thanks for help

jeff.page.rides said:
HughF said:
jeff.page.rides said:
HughF said:

Hugh,
Thanks, Jeff

Hey All,

On my ride today I changed a lot of different settings one at a time. With the torque sensor calibrated and enabled it does work as good but different then it did with it disabled. I have it set up so my maximum output is 850 watts.
I find myself shifting a lot more than I use to and in a lot lower gears at the same speed than I used to.

One thing that I notice no matter what I did with the setting, is that the watts can only go as high as the current cadence.

Example in rounded numbers pedaling as hard as you can in a high gear, 10 cadence has a maximum of only 100 watts, 20 cadence has a maximum of 200 watts, 30 cadence has a maximum of 300 watts, 40 cadence has a maximum of 400 watts, 50 cadence has a maximum of 500 watts, 60 cadence has a maximum of 600 watts, then 70-100 cadence has a maximum of 850 watts. It does this in both power and torque modes.

The only thing I can think of is that this version 1.0.0 of firmware was set up to be safe on the blue gear. To me this is the way a Bafang’s or cadence power assist works, the faster you pedal the more power it has.

Version 20 for the LCD3 works much better at lower cadence, you get much more torque at a much lower cadence. This is the way a torque sensor power assist is designed to work!

Does anyone out there know of a setting that will change this so you get more torque & power at a lower cadence and not only at higher cadence?

If its not possible to get more torque and power at a lower cadence with version 1.0.0? Then will someone rewrite the code to offer more torque and power at a lower cadence and make a new version?

Thanks,
Jeff

Watchdog Reset / Motor Runaway

I am running a modified version of the opensource ebike firmware OSEF.
When I enable the watchdog, the controller resets every now and then.
It happens every 10 to 100 km and is therefore very difficult to debug.
When i disable the watchdog, i experienced that the motor suddenly keeps
running despite no pedal action takes place.
This implies that the main pwm interrupt is running ok, but the code hangs somewhere.
I remember this was an issue with the OSEF in the past, where the watchdog was deactivated.
Was there a specific commit that got rid of this problem? Does anyone experience restarts with the current
version of the OSEF ?

Just out of curiosity: do you have any news about the new infenion controller that seems to be
on the new TSDZ2 electronics board ?

Back