Luna "Tiny" Sinewave Controller with BBSHD

hcubed

1 µW
So, I burned out the FETs on my stock BBSHD controller. Taking it apart, I decided it's a bad design (the FETs don't get much heat transfer to the heat sink because of the insulators between the sink and the drains) and I will likely just burn a new one up again. And I wouldn't mind getting some more power.

I looked around and found some good articles in the forum about using external controllers with the BBSHD. This post has good info on how to wire up a Cyclone controller. I thought it looked easy enough so I ordered the stock Cyclone controller, except I decided to get the small "tiny" controller.

Anyone have any info on it? Is it at all programmable? If it doesn't work out then I'll probably get the Baserunner_L10. I have the Hailong battery caddy after all. I just didn't find out about the Grin controllers until after I had ordered the Luna controller (this is my first foray into e-bikes). Anyway, for $75 it's not a terribly expensive experiment.

First post here, and this forum has been really helpful so far. Thanks, all!

Just use a Grin Phaserunner (enhanced ASI BAC800) + CAv3, life's too short to mess around unless you enjoy it.

Prolly get you up to 3kW

Thanks. The Phaserunner's are out of stock unfortunately. We'll see how this Luna controller goes. Maybe by the time I get it all hooked up and decide it sucks, they'll be back in stock!

Luna rebrands products, they also make some product in house, like adapters and such, something thats easy for a CNC machine to do, or the machine shop next door to Luna. I heard him state exactly that in a video. Controllers do fry, I fried a mosfet in a Lyen where I was having a hard time figuring out the color combo for halls/phase, used jumper wires and magic smoke appeared due to jumpers touching, hence fried mosfet.

If you want a great controller, that has been intelligently designed, the GrinTech has their Phaserunner which looks amazing. If I had the coin, I'd splurge on that!

I got the Luna controller to work with the BBSHD. It wasn't too hard - just had to match wires using the available wiring diagrams (FYI, not all the colors matched my wires but it was still obvious what went where). I've attached two to this post which will be helpful for other folks.

This is supposed to be a temporary controller until the Phaserunner becomes available again, so we'll see how it does. It seems to work well (nice and smooth, and a working throttle unlike the Bafang), and is a good deal at $75.

A few notes on putting it all together:
  • You'll need JST (Japanese Solderless Terminal) crimpers and connectors. Almost all the non-power Luna connections are JST "SM" style connectors with 2.5mm pitch. I replaced the one non-JST connector (the 3 terminal high/low RPM switch) with a JST connector. I ordered packages of 2, 3, and 7 terminal connectors from PCH Cables. They shipped fast and were cheap.
  • I used weatherproof "yellow" 10-12g automotive butt connectors to extend the motor wires from the controller down into the motor housing. I used standard automotive fully-insulated "yellow" male/female disconnects for the battery connections.
  • Once you get it all hooked up you probably won't have the phasing right between the motor connectors and the hall effect sensors, so just keep swapping the motor connectors around until it works. Mine was totally dead until I got the phasing right.
  • I cut off the Bafang 8-pin Higo cable at the old controller and separated out the blue, red, and black cables which are used for throttle control. I noticed the Bafang throttle puts out 0-3.75VDC. The Luna controller is expecting a max of 4.2VDC according to the one wiring diagram I found, so I may not be getting full throttle. Still seems plenty fast.
  • Make sure to jump the high RPM connection on the RPM selector or else you won't be getting full power!
  • The Luna controller is not compatible with the Bafang display, so you'll have no display, unless, I suppose, you get whatever goes with the Cyclone, but the Luna controller doesn't have any comms connections so I don't think it's compatible with any display. The only thing I really care about is battery voltage so I'll have to add a voltmeter of some sort.
  • I mounted the controller to a small piece of slightly angled aluminum plate that I bolted to the water bottle cage bolt holes on the seat tube. See image. (The metal band at the bottom of the downtube is a support for the motor I made out of a heavy duty automotive T-bolt style hose clamp.)
  • JST connectors are obviously not waterproof. I haven't yet decided what to do to protect them...
  • Altogether, I made the following connections: battery, motor power, hall effect sensors/controller power, throttle, and the high RPM jumper. I did not hook up pedal assist as I believe that just puts out full power which I didn't want. I also didn't use the brake cut offs or any of the other Luna connections.

Attachments

• bafang wiring.jpg
    bafang wiring.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 808
  • luna controller wiring.png
    luna controller wiring.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_20200329_173248.jpg
    IMG_20200329_173248.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 808
I have a GNG motor I'm trying to get this controller to work on. I recently had my 35A GNG one fail. I used the same picture above to wire it up. I have a hall / phase combination that can get it around but it's not smooth. The motor will not RPM. I can put it in a tall gear and the low end torque is there. The motor is fluttery in the upper RPM's. Luna says it "may not" be compatible. Besides the money I spent, I would like to get this working just because it is so small! I can stash this just about anywhere.

Anyone have thoughts?

Back