Toro Workman MDE conversion

How is the car going now?
How far can you drive?
How long is the charging time?
Any öroblems yet?
I'm in the same situation ass you, my battery pack is dead and looking att you way. Your build is awesome, really good build.

No worries :)
Long time since I've logged in here.
Kart is still going great. Haven't measured the range, but I occasionally take it to the feed shop nearby (I live rural) to fill the tray with around 100-200kg of horse feeds. It's quite hilly from our farm to the feed shop. It's 3.5km one way, so 7km round trip, and this takes the battery pack from 100% down to around 80-85% charged. I typically charge the pack when it gets to around 60%, but that's not particularly necessary as I could run it a lot lower, but don't see a need to stress the cells.
Only complaint is the onboard charger is a bit slow (12A output, so around 5 hours to charge from flat).
Headlights could use improvement too.
But it's otherwise a very capable beast and the lithium upgrade was a big improvement.

Also for those looking for cells, there's a bloke on Facebook called Ian Goh, who also runs a lithium group on there, he imports lots of cells and has a good reputation. Had I known, I might have been able to halve the cost of this build.

Hello Ribfeast,
I have been bumping my head against the wall over one of these carts for 4 months. I just found your post and what a wealth of info! Thank you for sharing. I want to make the same conversion, but my controller is dead with the three flash mosfet code that seems so popular for these. I have wanted to get the controller replaced or converted before spending any more energy on the coaster. The sevcon really does seem like a good controller for the conversing because it handles so many tasks internally. Are you willing and able to share the information about the controller you purchased. I have been gun shy about pulling the trigger on one with a different part number or no programming, but it sounds like you were the perfect guinea pig! HAHA. Thank you in advance, and thank you again. I really appreciate your complete and thorough write up. Be well!

No worries, glad it helped someone :)

The Part you need is a Sevcon Millipak 633T46301. I think I bought it from Radwell in the states, and had it delivered to Australia. Was a plug and play swapout, just make sure you label the cables, and where they came from.
Toro has their own part number for this unit, but it is significantly marked up. You may have success obtaining one from a dismantler, but these karts are pretty rare AFAIK.

Hey Ribfeast,

I have followed your thread and am very impressed, nicely built. and you are the reason I'm having my conversation on my Toro workman! but I need help. Have bought the batteries and Delta-q charger but I do not have protocol for the batteries. What protocol are you useing? Cab you share it? And have difficulties how to connect Zeva BMS to the charger and to the touchscreen through BUS cable. Can you please help me?
Regards Claes

Sorry to butt into the post but I’m in need of technical help with my 2010 toro workman MDE. I bought it knowing it did not run but it was a great deal I couldn’t pass up. I narrowed it down to really bad carbon build up in the 48v motor so I bought a new one. I got it installed properly and it’s throwing a 3 light code and still won’t react. The batteries are good, fully charged etc. I replaced the solenoid/contact as well. I thought maybe it fried the controller so I bought a new one, with that one it throws a 5 light code. Please help! Or point me in the right direction. There’s not a toro technician in my area. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Page 3-27 on this has the flashes laid out:
https://media.toro.com/servicemanuals/08164sl.pdf

3 Flashes: System Inoperable
Turn on/off switch OFF, wait several seconds and turn on/off switch ON. If controller does not reset, check battery pack voltage and all battery cable connections. Also check main contactor wire and cable connections and main contactor. NOTE: If main contactor audibly clicks when on/off switch is turned ON, problem is most likely a faulty wire or cable connection.
Controller replacement may be necessary.

5 flashes: The charger cord is plugged into the vehicle charger receptacle.
Turn on/off switch OFF, unplug charger cord from vehicle and turn on/off switch ON.
If controller does not reset correctly, check charger interlock switch.

Back