Wind and Solar vs Coal, Gasoline, Nuclear

Hillhater said:
Keep doing the same thing, and you will keep getting the same results...
so,..you can look forward to more and more power shortages and blackouts !
Nope, sorry. The blackouts last week were caused by a fossil fuel plant failing. Imagine that! The very source you worship - responsible for the problem!
You know full well (or should do ?) ,..that none of those were due to any issues with GENERATION plants.
They were all failures in transmission lines and distribution equipment..mostly weather related.
Ding ding! Exactly right! And the failures we had were due to fossil fuel generation plants and weather.

But ours were a LOT shorter. And once we fixed that gas plant, we've been doing quite well.
Yes ?,.. but what is its quantified influence in a planetary situation ?
See below.
Do you, ? by how much ?
By about 150ppm.
That is not what science and historical records show ..
Yes, they do. CO2 is indeed associated with higher temperatures, and is a big part of the feedback that (for example) dragged us out of the ice age.

You are confused because never before in the history of the planet has CO2 risen FIRST - because never before have intelligent beings burned gigatons of carbon.
...And why do you believe “everything else “ will remain equal ?
It won't. We may wise up and stop emitting CO2. Methane releases from melting permafrost may make the problem even worse. But what we do know is that our initial CO2 releases started the warming.
Sorry , no... Ice core and Paleo records show NO causal linkage between CO2 and temperature
There is actually a very strong linkage between CO2 and temperature. See below.
No Jack, what i believe is that anyone who thinks they can control the planets climate/temperature, by dicking about with a few windmills and solar panels , and limiting our use of fossil fuels, is fooling themselves in multiple ways.
Let us know how siding with ignorance works for you in ten years.

Attachments

• CO2_temp.jpg
    CO2_temp.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 600
JackFlorey said:
The blackouts last week were caused by a fossil fuel plant failing. ...
......And the failures we had were due to fossil fuel generation plants and weather....
Seriously ? ..you need to check your facts !
Sure, One 450GW gas plant failed, but that was not the cause of the blackouts...
Check how much Wind and Solar was available ?
You can delude yourself , but you cannot ignor the facts.

. And once we fixed that gas plant, we've been doing quite well.
Only with a lot of assistance from other states...some of who also had to use “Demand Management” to free up capacity to support California..( but that is not unusual,.. NONE of the progressive countries/states with high % of wind and solar can function without a lot of support from neighbouring states with healthy, reliable, fossil generation systems )
By about 150ppm...
? source ? or just another “BELIEF”

....CO2 is indeed associated with higher temperatures, and is a big part of the feedback that (for example) dragged us out of the ice age.
“Associated with” .. is not the same as “the cause of”..as you well know. !

...never before in the history of the planet has CO2 risen FIRST -
Really ?.. You should check the facts before posting Jack !

.... But what we do know is that our initial CO2 releases started the warming....
You BELIEVE ? Where is the proof of that gem ?
...There is actually a very strong linkage between CO2 and temperature. See below.
Yes there is... but it is not the causal linkage you like to think it is.
Those ICE records show clearly ( when viewed in detail), and it is well known, that temperature rise LEADS CO2 by several hundred years ! Strongly implying that TEMPERATURE is the driver of CO2 levels ! :wink:

Hillhater said:
JackFlorey said:
......And the failures we had were due to fossil fuel generation plants and weather....

http://www.saveourskylineohio.com/2020/08/18/gov-newsom-admits-green-energy-failed-california/amp/

No no, everyone else needs to check with Bill before announcing conclusions. The Governor, State Regulators, LA Times, all skipping the crucial 'But what did BILL decide?' scientific process.

Rumors are spreading that REALITY has something to do with it. Bill can set them straight or his name isn't Jack. Oh, wait. . . .

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2020-08-17/public-utilities-commission-to-blame-for-blackouts-caiso-says?_amp=true

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2020/08/15/why-californias-climate-policies-are-causing-electricity-black-outs/amp/

Hillhater said:
Sure, One 450GW gas plant failed, but that was not the cause of the blackouts...
CAL-ISO disagrees. And I am going to go with them over you.
Check how much Wind and Solar was available ?
Solar was declining rapidly. As happens every day, that plant was starting up. It failed. Therefore they had to implement rolling blackouts - as they would have to do in ANY grid, anywhere in the US, when a major power plant fails during peak demand.

I mean, really - do you ever get outside your pro-coal news bubble?
Only with a lot of assistance from other states...some of who also had to use “Demand Management” to free up capacity to support California.
Just like we support other states during the day. Yep. That's how it works.

By about 150ppm...
? source ? or just another “BELIEF”
NASA.

"The concentration of carbon dioxide in Earth’s atmosphere is currently at nearly 412 parts per million (ppm) and rising. This represents a 47 percent increase since the beginning of the Industrial Age, when the concentration was near 280 ppm, and an 11 percent increase since 2000, when it was near 370 ppm. Scientists know the increases in carbon dioxide are caused primarily by human activities because carbon produced by burning fossil fuels has a different ratio of heavy-to-light carbon atoms, so it leaves a distinct “fingerprint” that instruments can measure. A relative decline in the amount of heavy carbon-13 isotopes in the atmosphere points to fossil fuel sources. Burning fossil fuels also depletes oxygen and lowers the ratio of oxygen to nitrogen in the atmosphere."

.... But what we do know is that our initial CO2 releases started the warming....
You BELIEVE ? Where is the proof of that gem ?
Again NASA:

"The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. This body of data, collected over many years, reveals the signals of a changing climate.

The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century. Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many instruments flown by NASA. There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels. Ancient evidence can also be found in tree rings, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. This ancient, or paleoclimate, evidence reveals that current warming is occurring roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming."
Those ICE records show clearly ( when viewed in detail), and it is well known, that temperature rise LEADS CO2 by several hundred years ! Strongly implying that TEMPERATURE is the driver of CO2 levels !
Yep - until today. Dinosaurs didn't drive SUV's or run coal fired power plants (hopefully you don't argue about that as well) so until now CO2 was a lagging forcing. Now that we've upended that by releasing gigatons of CO2 into the atmosphere, it is the primary forcing. Quite simple really.

JackFlorey said:
Hillhater said:
CAL-ISO disagrees.

They disagree with YOU. Your fantasizes don't count. Big press coverage, not that you follow current events.

On to something more important.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/holy-grail-metallic-hydrogen-is-going-to-change-everything

JackFlorey said:
Solar was declining rapidly. As happens every day, that plant was starting up. It failed. Therefore they had to implement rolling blackouts - as they would have to do in ANY grid, anywhere in the US, when a major power plant fails during peak demand...
One 450Mw generator is neither a major power plant, ( less than 1% of total generation capacity ?) ..and would not cause a ripple of concern in any well designed and managed grid system !
Ca’s problem is it’s idiotic adoption of green policies, forcing the closure of Fossil generators, ( and Nuclear), leaving themselves woefully short on dispatchable backup power and wide open to these problems .
Its a dumb situation repeated in most RE rich locations. But , carry on , learn the hard way !

JackFlorey said:
Just like we support other states during the day. Yep. That's how it works.
Cal does not support other states during the day... it PAYS other states to take its unwanted and troublesome excess of daytime solar power... CA is a NET IMPORTER of electricity...because its generation system is a mess .

JackFlorey said:
NASA.

"The concentration of carbon dioxide in Earth’s atmosphere is currently at nearly 412 parts per million (ppm) and rising. This represents a 47 percent increase since the beginning of the Industrial Age, when the concentration was near 280 ppm, and an 11 percent increase since 2000, when it was near 370 ppm. Scientists know the increases in carbon dioxide are caused primarily by human activities because carbon produced by burning fossil fuels ......

Again NASA:
"The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century ........
This explains much about your belief’s. !
..”Extreemly likely” ,and “95% probability”, is not scientific proof, infact it effectively confirms it is NOT proven !
And i did not think any official body supported the view that the entire rise in CO2 is due to human activity ?..
.....even the highly biased IPCC only suggested 20% is due to human activity.
It is sad to see how such a impressive and respected organisation has been reduced to allowing their name to be used in connection with this kind of misinformation .

Ah hell, triplicate might even be good.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-16/oil-companies-wonder-if-it-s-worth-looking-for-oil-anymore

I already have natural gas wells that are abandoned and no current plans to finish them out. Just not as much market as there was when they were first tapped. Dang, they still dig coal.

Dauntless said:
Hillhater said:
JackFlorey said:

http://www.saveourskylineohio.com/2020/08/18/gov-newsom-admits-green-energy-failed-california/amp/

No no, everyone else needs to check with Bill before announcing conclusions. The Governor, State Regulators, LA Times, all skipping the crucial 'But what did BILL decide?' scientific process.

Rumors are spreading that REALITY has something to do with it. Bill can set them straight or his name isn't Jack. Oh, wait. . . .

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2020-08-17/public-utilities-commission-to-blame-for-blackouts-caiso-says?_amp=true

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2020/08/15/why-californias-climate-policies-are-causing-electricity-black-outs/amp/
Yep, when extreme green-energy states fail, it's always the backup generation that gets the focus of the blame.
What happens is so much money is spent on green energy that the fossil fuel energy sources the state relies on to actually generate energy get neglected to the point of failure due to money being constantly redirected to more green energy.

In Victoria we have lost a bunch of coal power fire stations, due to a tripling of the coal royality taxes
Victoria's own mining tax to triple as treasurer gouges brown coal for revenue
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/victorias-own-mining-tax-to-triple-as-treasurer-gouges-brown-coal-for-revenue-20160422-gocymk.html
^Victorian's biggest coal power station announced permant shut down weeks later.
The state government just thought it was easy money, they were so clueless they even ranted about the coal electricity generation company not even daring to raise the price of their whole electricity, instead they elected just to shut down.

Then when a second coal power-station shutdown for 8 months for long term matenance to install a new turbine etc, we got a heat wave and not enough local generation.
Our still current leader then lied his ass off about the blackout and said it was fossiel fuel at fault when in fact the state energy operator AEMO (American lady) said it was because the wind died.

Daniel Andrews is such an extreme and consistent liar he expects everyone especially the mainstream media to cover for him, but it doesn't always happen.
https://youtu.be/wROlbyY1i2A

[youtube]wROlbyY1i2A[/youtube]

Can't decide which thread hurts my brain the most this one or the Donald trump one, argh they both combined into the trollville heaven urgh its overwhelming pmsl what a load of turd burglers.

Hillhater said:
One 450Mw generator is neither a major power plant, ( less than 1% of total generation capacity ?) ..and would not cause a ripple of concern in any well designed and managed grid system !
Normally that is correct. But when the grid is running at 99% due to a heat wave - then it does matter. As it would on ANY grid. Every major power grid in the US has faced blackouts due to demand when equipment failed.
..”Extreemly likely” ,and “95% probability”, is not scientific proof, infact it effectively confirms it is NOT proven !
If your doctor says "it is 95% likely you have Ewing's sarcoma and we have to start chemo immediately" - you'd be a fool to say 'naah, it's not 100%, I'm not going to worry about it.' (I mean, you probably would - but it would be a very bad idea.)
And i did not think any official body supported the view that the entire rise in CO2 is due to human activity ?..
31 official bodies sent this statement to Congress:

"Observations throughout the world make it clear that climate change is occurring, and rigorous scientific research concludes that the greenhouse gases emitted by human activities are the primary driver. This conclusion is based on multiple independent lines of evidence and the vast body of peer-reviewed science.”

These bodies include (but are not limited to) the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Chemical Society, the American Geophysical Union, the American Meteorological Society, the American Statistical Association, the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography, the National Association of Marine Laboratories and the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research.

How sad it must be to truly believe that every scientist and researcher on the planet is part of a vast conspiracy to lie to you, and the only sources of truth you can trust are American oil-funded politicians and Youtube channels.
.....even the highly biased IPCC only suggested 20% is due to human activity.
Nope. Again, they state with 95% certainty that human activity is responsible for most of the warming. And 97% of published peer reviewed papers agree with them.
If any politician ever tells you he knows 100% that he is right - he is lying. (Which means you will probably believe what he says without question, of course.)
It is sad to see how such a impressive and respected organisation has been reduced to allowing their name to be used in connection with this kind of misinformation .
It is sadder still that so many gullible marks are so easily taken advantage of by the well-funded denial industry.

Dauntless said:
Ianhill said:
into the trollville heaven

Heaven? For trolls? Then why does your brain hurt? The important thing about keeping y'all in the Trump thread is that you can only hurt EACH OTHER. But I guess you kind of do that here,too.

There's little understanding going on just listening to eachother and attacking that my solar beats your coal but my gas Is cleaner than your coal and so on when there's little time taken to see humans steps are generally flawed all our progression has come at a cost, simple life is no more as time unravels the soup become a more complex.

Ianhill said:
There's little understanding going on just listening to eachother and attacking that my solar beats your coal but my gas Is cleaner than your coal and so on when there's little time taken to see humans steps are generally flawed all our progression has come at a cost, simple life is no more as time unravels the soup become a more complex.

Then quit having so many babies.

Ianhill said:
There's little understanding going on just listening to each other and attacking . . .when there's little time taken to see humans steps are generally flawed all our progression has come at a cost, simple life is no more as time unravels the soup become a more complex.

Well, just to work some Jordan Peterson philosophy into this, they argue not their beliefs in coal or solar but to get out of cleaning their room. It's not that they agree to disagree but because it's too important an argument to stop just because the room is a mess.

Same with rioting. "MOTHER! How can you even THINK of me cleaning while there's all this social injustice?" Which of course puts burning and looting on a higher plane than the room itself.

So yes, there's no room for understanding, because then there's no more excuse for not cleaning their rooms, metaphorically speaking. As in actually having solar panels on their home, clean transportation, giving up eating the hamburgers to end cow farts, etc. (But if we DON'T eat the cows, they'll go right on living and then we'll REALLY have cow farts.)

But yeah, I picture these guys sitting in the banquet room on the Titanic, arguing about, oh, whatever it strikes them to argue about as the ship goes down. Not even bothering to go clean their shipboard quarters before it's too late. . . .

[youtube]N6GkP_8IXmM[/youtube]

nicobie said:
Ianhill said:

Then quit having so many babies.

Shut your dirty mouth you want, I got no children and to say such a thing on a sensitive topic shows you ain't fuk all but a child yourself, let me tell you one thing to my face things would get well beyond your control fast you keep spouting crap like that I don't give a fuk your iq I'd make you learn the basic fundamentals of respect and morals.

JackFlorey said:
. But when the grid is running at 99% due to a heat wave - ....
Why are you blind to the simple fact that CA’s grid is only at 99% because they chose to shut down all coal and most Nuclear generation , and replace them with unreliable, intermittent solar and wind capacity whic is not effective when the sun goes down and the wind doesnt blow. ?
You cannot blame one of the few remaining fossil generators for not being able to support a mentally crippled power agency.
Wake up and Get real ! Before it happens the next time ...(once they shut that last nuke...if not before ! )

.31 official bodies sent this statement to Congress:
"Observations throughout the world make it clear that climate change is occurring, and rigorous scientific research concludes that the greenhouse gases emitted by human activities are the primary driver. This conclusion is based on multiple independent lines of evidence and the vast body of peer-reviewed science.”
.......These bodies include (but are not limited to) .....bla bla bla..
You do not have to be very smart to realise the climate is changing,..but knowing for sure what the primary causes are , takes more than theory and beliefs
But no amount of “rigorous research”. Has yet “PROVEN’ either that human activities are the “primary driver” or even that CO2 (from any source). Is the main cause of any warming..
(Interesting how that 97% figure keeps popping up ?)
When any scientist makes a conclusion based on a “majority of evidence” or the “vast body of Peer reviewed papers”,.. 97% of probability, yada yada, yada, .. without being able to show absolute “PROOF” ... then all they are doing is denigrating their reputations by failing the basic scientific principles.

Ianhill said:
Shut your dirty mouth you want, I got no children and to say such a thing on a sensitive topic shows you ain't fuk all but a child yourself, let me tell you one thing to my face things would get well beyond your control fast you keep spouting crap like that I don't give a fuk your iq I'd make you learn the basic fundamentals of respect and morals.

Sorry, but I find nothing sensitive about talking about birth control.

BTW, you know what you can do with your threats...

nicobie said:
Ianhill said:

Sorry, but I find nothing sensitive about talking about birth control.

BTW, you know what you can do with your threats...

Let's hope u practice what you preach no kid deserves a figure like you as a mentour fragile minded keyboard warrior.

A decent person could have arranged their words better than to sound like a spoilt university drop out go play with your Lego if you can not speak or control your presence.

Yes I know what my threats amount to but I'm telling you go spout that shit publicly see how long u last show some respect and you may get some back.

I talk about the need for people to control their urge to make babies all the time and don't get the reaction I got from you. I hide from no one either. My phone and address are publicly listed and easily looked up with a simple google search.

You say you don't like my words... I could care less what someone who sounds like an illiterate idiot thinks about my writing style.

nicobie said:
I talk about the need for people to control their urge to make babies all the time and don't get the reaction I got from you. I hide from no one either. My phone and address are publicly listed and easily looked up with a simple google search.

You say you don't like my words... I could care less what someone who sounds like an illiterate idiot thinks about my writing style.

I'm not gonna travel the globe to smash someone up, I can find your sort on my door step if I felt the need but I'm not a man of violence unless provoked I don't feel the need to publicly advertise my data either to prove in not scared of no one seems you have something to prove to yourself by barking off feeling the big man on forums.

Your comment was extremely insensitive and I'm not playing mr fairy I can take a knock or 2 but watch what you say about a man's babys specially if he has lost 2 some are just looking for a face to put to their anger and I'm not talking me in just saying the general public wherever u live can't be too friendly if you talk smack like that to every stranger you meet, people on hear are real remeber were not spam bots or do we come into existence for your pleasing you ain't neo this ain't no matrix.

nicobie said:
I could care less what someone who sounds like an illiterate idiot thinks about my writing style.

That's not true. Not only do you value your own opinion, you're thrilled to death when your fellow flying monkeys dance around.

Never mind you put far more life into your discussion of your writing style than your socalled views on birth control.

[youtube]4f-Jg1Foqhs[/youtube]

Back