My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Hardcore said:
Hi,

you aren't the first to have this issue with the frame, see attached pictures. I first took the pictures to Frey (Ivy) to have it handled under warranty, but it has been nearly 6 weeks and still, I have not been given a date on when I might get replacement parts. This summer has finished early for me due to their delays.

Wow! Jesus... That’s alot worse than mine. You’re lucky not to be in hospital! Please come to Facebook to Frey ebike owners group to post these pictures. Let’s put some pressure to Frey to solve this issue properly and fast.

If you wouldn’t want to post these pictures to FB can I post them on your behalf?

LeftieBiker said:
I doubt that it's "normal" for it to fail.

Saving money only in the short term, until the cheaper aluminium used and lack of technical and engiineering experience compared to known brands makes itself known by way of frame failures.

FlyingFinn said:
Hardcore said:
Hi,

you aren't the first to have this issue with the frame, see attached pictures. I first took the pictures to Frey (Ivy) to have it handled under warranty, but it has been nearly 6 weeks and still, I have not been given a date on when I might get replacement parts. This summer has finished early for me due to their delays.

Wow! Jesus... That’s alot worse than mine. You’re lucky not to be in hospital! Please come to Facebook to Frey ebike owners group to post these pictures. Let’s put some pressure to Frey to solve this issue properly and fast.

If you wouldn’t want to post these pictures to FB can I post them on your behalf?

Ah, the old consumer "publicly embarrass the company into actually doing something because private communication doesn't work" tactic. Used it myself with non responsive companies - it's a sad reflection of the company when consumers have to resort to it, rather than the company taking responsibility at the outset of the issue.

NoFanBoiz said:
Ah, the old consumer "publicly embarrass the company into actually doing something because private communication doesn't work" tactic. Used it myself with non responsive companies - it's a sad reflection of the company when consumers have to resort to it, rather than the company taking responsibility at the outset of the issue.

This is a lot more than a fault. More like a serious manufacturing error that can cause serious injury or even death. One more broken strut and Hardcore would have flown to concrete.

FlyingFinn said:
NoFanBoiz said:

This is a lot more than a fault. More like a serious manufacturing error that can cause serious injury or even death. One more broken strut and Hardcore would have flown to concrete.

I don't believe the comment you quoted disagrees with you in any way, it is in agreement with your sentiments.

If you've watched this thread, you know I abuse my bike off_road a lot. I first thought it was because of a wrong rear suspension setup and had too little air in the rear shock making the frame take the hit on the log steps. I consider myself one of the unlucky ones when it came to the frame break, and I only wanted to post the pictures to show that there might be a trend that Frey needs to look into (same age of the frame). I've notified Ivy on 17.7.2020 about this failure and you should give them your frame number so they can trace it's history or something.

I posted my pictures here for public awareness, not public embarrassment for the company, as I still love and enjoy the concept. Things break, and I thought I was one of the few rare cases, because I thoroughly ride it to break it.

Hardcore said:
If you've watched this thread, you know I abuse my bike off_road a lot. I first thought it was because of a wrong rear suspension setup and had too little air in the rear shock making the frame take the hit on the log steps. I consider myself one of the unlucky ones when it came to the frame break, and I only wanted to post the pictures to show that there might be a trend that Frey needs to look into (same age of the frame). I've notified Ivy on 17.7.2020 about this failure and you should give them your frame number so they can trace it's history or something.

I posted my pictures here for public awareness, not public embarrassment for the company, as I still love and enjoy the concept. Things break, and I thought I was one of the few rare cases, because I thoroughly ride it to break it.

The bikes have been out there only for 1-2 years. These cases will increase by time. One day someone will get hurt. I wouldn’t like to see that.

Some of Husqvarna’s ebikes had similar issues. What ensued was new bikes to the affected and massive recalls. The frames went back to factory.

I doubt we’ll see such an approach on this case.

FlyingFinn said:
The bikes have been out there only for 1-2 years. These cases will increase by time. One day someone will get hurt. I wouldn’t like to see that.

Some of Husqvarna’s ebikes had similar issues. What ensued was new bikes to the affected and massive recalls. The frames went back to factory.

I doubt we’ll see such an approach on this case.

I doubt it too. Frey isn't a globally known brand.
Husqvarna is and is known as a reputable brand as well as being established for many years.

Plus the west and it's companies have more robust consumer rights to answer to.

NoFanBoiz said:
Husqvarna is and is known as a reputable brand as well as being established for many years.

Yep. And Frey will never become one if these issues persist.

I don’t know if this frame can be trusted. If it breaks and I get injured there’s no hope getting any compensation. This is a dreadful combination.

I might demand my money back. My trust to this bike has vanished.

Hi,

We also saw your post on the FB group in recent days. and we left message follow you to remind you should contact us with details by email to us. otherwise, we don't know the situation and can't support you promptly.
About frame issue, I leant that you have modified several things without consult with us firstly. that include the controller and shock. both 2 will affect the bike much from electric and mechanic. The power and the suspennsion travel both affect the bike much! something you would like to change maybe not suitable to your bike, you much consult with us in advance before you try to do some big changes not only normal bicycle components like saddle or pedal.

We offer 24 months warranty for our bike frames if the bike been used under original bike condition from our factory and without any accident!
Unauthorized modification is always not recommended, not only it may affect the bike much,and also safty to the riders.

We have sold out many bikes in past years and many of them have over 2 years. there is only a few cases report to us about some frame issue but some case happend under some special situation, for example, some unreasonable modifications, some special heavier riders overload riding, some earlier purchasing not complete bike.

From our side, we will learn more necessary information from potential buyers before conclude every order. and recommend suitable bike models to buyers. and give out necessary remind tips after purchasing to avoid some potential case.
Another side, we are making our frame better and better with more details improved and more experience accumulated in past years.

Anyway, every customer's reasonable interest will be guaranteed by FREY. and we will support you promptly always, please keep in touch with us via offical channel that can reach us directly not only post somewhere maybe we can't see it promptly.

Please note and take care related tips about after-sale support!

Best Regards,
Ivy Wang

FlyingFinn said:
bugnut said:
With Thousands of bikes sold this is the first I am hearing of this. You seem to be having more problems than the rest of this board combined. If I was FREY I would buy the bike back from you and not sell you any more bikes. I learned that sometimes you have to fire your customers. I have had my bike over a year and I am extremely happy with the bike and FREY.

Why on earth? I drive my bike as it’s designed in adverse conditions except DH-riding. I’ve now ridden 3200km’s with the bike. Never crashed, never fallen. Never jumped the bike in such a fashion that a rim would have bent or tire exploded. Jumped I have but nothing more agressive than on Frey exchange tour Youtube-videos. If it’s advertised to be jumped, then it should tolerate that as well.

These issues will be ahead for all of those that ride their bikes outside roads and streets. This is a mountain bike meant for offroad usage.

During 11 months and 3200 km’s of riding following parts have broken:

-Rear hub freewheel
-Battery connector lock mechanism
-A bearing on rear sviwel (bought new one for myself)
-Battery connector at battery end (bad contact)
-Frewheel and main gear on the motor
-Motor gasket was partially inside the motor from factory. New gasket installed by Innotrace
-Controller (My own fault. Bought the Innotrace one)
-Frame

FREYebikes said:
About frame issue, I leant that you have modified several things without consult with us firstly. that include the controller and shock. both 2 will affect the bike much from electric and mechanic.

To be fair, he said his frame cracked 2 weeks ago and he just now realized it. He installed motor with innotrace controller 2 days ago, so it is unlikely it had anything to do with the frame failure. His innotrace controller is also similar peak wattage as the stock controller so it will only be a POSITIVE benefit from both electric and mechanical perspective as the new controller is MUCH smoother compared to the stock controller which lurches and delivers power more abruptly.

I think that Ivy isn't concluding that the Innotrace controller caused the crack. She refers to the fact that mounting the Innotrace voids the warranty.

It is good to see they seem to be honoring warranty. Warranties are typically specified up front in writing. Otherwise what prevents a company from making up the rules as they go? It would be great to see specifics. All I have in writing from Frey is Frame and Electrical are covered for 24 months. IMHO warranties should be a good faith agreement from both sides. There are things that technically void warranty but reasonably have no impact. Just pointing out the replacing controller with like controller would be one of those.

The problem may lie in the shipping and customs of dealing with a warranty out of China. Typically the buyer is expected to pay the shipping back and forth. You could expect something like a frame sent via DHL to cost in the vicinity of $350.00 one way. So, if the buyer is required to send something like a frame back, at perhaps $700.00 for a round trip, I'm assuming it would just be easier to buy a new frame.

As our support for this case.
We can offer you a new replacement frame this time. As we should remind you that some modification should be informed and consulted before your action earlier. Maybe you have not awared that some mofication will be a potential issue to cause somen problem.
Especially to the power and frame construction. that you have done both.

As our precondition for this after-sale support on frame. you need to recover the original shock specification at 190*51mm that will make a max 120mm rear frame travel.
If you change to 200*57mm, it will bring around 150mm travel for rear frame, that is not reasonable and it is not our original design. in fact, it may affect the frame much! we can't confirm what reason caused your frame problem, but obviously, this is a main factor that can't been excluded.

Please confirm you will recover the rear shock, then we will proceed to arrange a repacement frame for you.

FlyingFinn said:
NoFanBoiz said:

Yep. And Frey will never become one if these issues persist.

I don’t know if this frame can be trusted. If it breaks and I get injured there’s no hope getting any compensation. This is a dreadful combination.

I might demand my money back. My trust to this bike has vanished.

I would like to clear we always response quickly if we got email or message. I also can see that there is someone like to discuss on internet firstly compare with contact with supplier firstly. this is a small part consumer act in this way. and we also respect it.
But if want to get support not only for discussion. need to contact with us directly in time!

NoFanBoiz said:
FlyingFinn said:
NoFanBoiz said:

I don't believe the comment you quoted disagrees with you in any way, it is in agreement with your sentiments.

FREYebikes said:
I would like to clear we always response quickly if we got email or message. I also can see that there is someone like to discuss on internet firstly compare with contact with supplier firstly. this is a small part consumer act in this way. and we also respect it.
But if want to get support not only for discussion. need to contact with us directly in time!

Just a reminder:

Hardcore said:
Hi,

you aren't the first to have this issue with the frame, see attached pictures. I first took the pictures to Frey (Ivy) to have it handled under warranty, but it has been nearly 6 weeks and still, I have not been given a date on when I might get replacement parts. This summer has finished early for me due to their delays. Let me add a video to this so you know when it happened: [youtube]https://youtu.be/WuYMRXMJpv0[/youtube]

Tom said:
FREYebikes said:
About frame issue, I leant that you have modified several things without consult with us firstly. that include the controller and shock. both 2 will affect the bike much from electric and mechanic.

To be fair, he said his frame cracked 2 weeks ago and he just now realized it. He installed motor with innotrace controller 2 days ago, so it is unlikely it had anything to do with the frame failure. His innotrace controller is also similar peak wattage as the stock controller so it will only be a POSITIVE benefit from both electric and mechanical perspective as the new controller is MUCH smoother compared to the stock controller which lurches and delivers power more abruptly.

As you said it. The new Innotrace 1000 watts controller stresses the frame alot less. I need to pedal much more with my own power and it’s alot smoother. In any case this can’t be the explanation.

The new shock with slightly longer travel isn’t an explanation either. How about Hardcore’s bike? It was stock. Snapped from the rear EXACTLY from the same spot.

Hi Kevin,

I just watched your short video again, found there was really a loud sound from the frame like the shock was been compressed to it's full suspension length. maybe that's because of the shock air pressure is not enough. in fact, it is big impact to the whole bike, especially to the frame.

As our communication, we have already confirmed to offer you a complete new replacement frame after you contact us several days . it is in the process. A little slow now because we are lack of many models frames and much slower supply chain now. we need to prepare to make it ready.
We will try to make it ready to send you as soon as possible.

Regards,
Ivy

Hardcore said:
Hi,

you aren't the first to have this issue with the frame, see attached pictures. I first took the pictures to Frey (Ivy) to have it handled under warranty, but it has been nearly 6 weeks and still, I have not been given a date on when I might get replacement parts. This summer has finished early for me due to their delays. Let me add a video to this so you know when it happened: [youtube]https://youtu.be/WuYMRXMJpv0[/youtube]

Well I have my branded bike by "Norco" developing crack, suspension as well, near welds. It's always near weld line due to thermal stress. It was not abused, just snapped on trail.
It's common issue, all bikes have this. Some more, others less. :thumb:

I would like to tell that we have already improved the flat tube in fact. so present frames is more stronger than past ones. we design and made the tube by adding 2 strong Internal reinforce you can see from below picture:
flat tube.jpg

FREYebikes said:
I would like to tell that we have already improved the flat tube in fact. so present frames is more stronger than past ones. we design and made the tube by adding 2 strong Internal reinforce you can see from below picture:
flat tube.jpg
:bigthumb: sounds good and puts mind at ease.

I was considering a CC as a Super Consolation prize if my attempt to refurbish my 2 YO Metro fails, but upon learning that shipping - yes, just the shipping! Rack and lights are still extra - is $760 I'm moving on. I may be able to get one of these early bikes used for $750 in a year or two...

Ha, you are delusional. Nobody is gong to sell you a used CC for $750 in 2 years. You might find a PoS used rear hub for that.

TBH, the CC is an excellent value. Cost for rack and fenders is trivial. Shipping cost is what it is unless you get in on a group buy when offered and want to wait a LONG time for your bike. But even if you pay $750 shipping there is nothing out there that can touch the CC for $3750 shipped. Throw on the innotrace controler upgrade and you have something truly world class for roughly $4500 shipped. My only hesitation to recommend is you need to know how to fix your bike if you have a problem. Frey will ship you warranty parts, but beyond that you are on your own.

Around here used ebikes are almost worthless. People try to sell them for years, and often fail. The used price is determined by market factors, not by the actual value of the bike when new. Most likely I'll never see a used CC here, but if I did, and it had anything at all that needed to be fixed, it could well sell for less than $1k. Look at prices for used EVs like the Leaf, and you will see what I mean: it's all about prices and supply in a given region, not a fixed fraction of the MSRP. I don't argue that the CC is top of its class. I don't need top of the world. I need something with full suspension and a bit more speed and power than my noisy Metro. Hopefully I'll get the new wheel/motor on, and it will run like a top...

Back