Dengfu M09 Endruo/Freeride build log

Firstly Kepler, the bike looks fantastic.

How do you think a 170-180mm front shock with 27.5+ front wheel and a 1.5 Degree Angle Headset adjustment to make the head angle 65 degrees would go on this frame. I am in New Zealand so luna will not ship to me.

Thanks Keplar

The 150mm rear shock will that be ok with 180mm of front fork travel? In my reading it says that its good to keep the front rear travel with in 20mm. Any thoughts?

Yes rule of thumb is no more more then 20mm. So stick with a 170mm fork if want to play safe. However I still cant see an issue with the 180mm travel fork as I know that total front end height works well on the bike. Only thing is an imbalance of plushness between the back and front. Nothing that an extra 10psi in the 180mm fork wont fix or maybe the addition of an extra volume spacer.

Hi,
Finally, I got to build my bike based on Dengfu E 09 frame with Bafang G521 motor. I made my own battery as you but 13s5p. I'd be happy if you would tell me how you connected a throttle. As I can figure out it needs 5v supply from canbus but three is no canbus in my DIY battery. I think of using DC/DC step down inverter 54v/5v like on the pic but I am afraid of frying controller or something. I'd be very thankfull for your advice.

Attachments

• battery throttle.jpg
    battery throttle.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,607
Is this thread no longer active? Seems odd, seeing as there is so much good information being exchanged here.
Anyway, I just purchased, and am waiting on delivery of, the X1.
On the luna website, it states that the bike has "* 6" of travel front and 7.8" rear"...so I am wondering what is truly the case? Does the bike have 150mm front and rear, or does it have 150mm front, and 198mm rear?
Is it possible that the frame might support 198mm of rear travel, but that travel is restricted by the stroke of the Monarch shock? That still seems shady to report as 7.8" rear travel.
I am only asking out of curiousity...I plan to ride the bike as is for a while before making any changes such as slackening the bike via longer travel forks, or combination of forks and 29er front wheel (mullet).

Anyway, thoughts on this are appreciated...

Mike

artyy said:
Hi,
Finally, I got to build my bike based on Dengfu E 09 frame with Bafang G521 motor. I made my own battery as you but 13s5p. I'd be happy if you would tell me how you connected a throttle. As I can figure out it needs 5v supply from canbus but three is no canbus in my DIY battery. I think of using DC/DC step down inverter 54v/5v like on the pic but I am afraid of frying controller or something. I'd be very thankfull for your advice.

Throttle is connected to the 2 prong main wire that connects directly to the motor (the other wire goes to the display). No splicing needed as everything is plug and play. Similary setup to you, Dengfu E-09 with the M600 but with their in house battery.

Kepler said:
Here is a quick video (nothing too exciting) of the bike setup with with 27.5+ 2.8" rear and 29er 2.6" front on a 29er ebike specific Fox 36 fork. Really happy with the way the bike rides in this configuration. The level of noise is pretty accurate to what you are really hearing on the bike. Also added a charge plug that doubles as range extender plug and fitted the thumb throttle just to see how it feels.

Damn Kep, you got this machine built and dialed in. Beautiful job. BTW, our mutual friend asked me to email this link to him, so I did.

Kepler, just curious if you notice is a distinct difference in torque sensing on your stock M600 below and above 50% PAS. On my Luna X1 (non-ludi) I find PAS 1 and 2 (of 5) requires constant pressure on the pedals or assist cuts out. Not very smooth or pleasant to ride on flats. PAS 3+ is much smoother. Do you notice the same? I'm wondering if perhaps this is something specfic to the Luna tuning. I suspect Luna had to dial back PAS 1 and 2 for the Ludi controller and naively applied the same tuning to the stock M600. Or perhaps I got the Ludi tuning by mistake. I posted in the main M600 thread but didn't get much feedback.

What I have found is that it is makes a difference if you turn the bike on and let it sit without moving the bike or touching the pedals. If you do this the PAS is much smoother especially in low power settings and light pedaling effort.

What I have noticed is if you just jump on the bike, start pedaling, and turn the bike on while you are are going, the PAS is much more choppy. I presume the drive must calibrate the PAS each time you turn the bike on.

I thought this was my imagination for a while but the above method definitely makes a difference on my bike anyway.

Would be interesting if anyone notices the same.

Kepler said:
What I have noticed is if you just jump on the bike, start pedaling, and turn the bike on while you are are going, the PAS is much more choppy. I presume the drive must calibrate the PAS each time you turn the bike on.

This is a really interesting thought and makes sense to me. If it's true, I wonder what the initialization time is? Do you need to wait for a certain time before you see this difference? Would explain some of the weird behavior others have reported with this motor setup.

How did you guys make the order and payment to Dengfu? I've mailed with Melody and she has sent me an invoice with part list (E09 frame, M600, headset, rear axle and battery case). Part I'm worried about is that she wants me to arrange payment to paypal account tony@greatkeen.com.cn. I can't find any mention about this account past 2012.

Is this valid account for Dengfu?

Thanks!

henrip said:
How did you guys make the order and payment to Dengfu? I've mailed with Melody and she has sent me an invoice with part list (E09 frame, M600, headset, rear axle and battery case). Part I'm worried about is that she wants me to arrange payment to paypal account tony@greatkeen.com.cn. I can't find any mention about this account past 2012.

Is this valid account for Dengfu?

Thanks!

Adding to what Kepler said, all of my transaction with China based business have been done utilizing paypal. Ironically, I have never been burned.

i too am experiencing the same from Dengfu. Melody seems helpful, but I am uneasy they way they do transactions. I have heard others had success but still.

Did you know there are 2 completely different website.

Dengfubike.com (with paypal builtin)

And

Dengfubikes.com (they send you a paypal payment request). How bizarre.

Anyways I was about to pay for my E10 motor and M600 to
TONY@GREATKEEN.COM.CN
as per Paypal request.

Havent done yet, I am waiting for someone with true experience this way to give me confidence.

After all its a $2300 risk.

Yes my E10 has just arrived via paying at the Tony paypal address. If you pay it as a friend you not have to pay the surcharge but you run the risk of it going missing etc in the post. I paid as a commercial invoice which gives some protection but had to pay the additional surcharge of I think 2%. I did question that but apparently its company policy.

The good thing is the frame is of very high quality and the Gloss coat I had ordered is of very good quality. Sadly the Gloss order took a bit longer than expected by a few weeks but Melody did explain this on order.

Hello all - this is my first post on endless-sphere so please be gentle.

@Kepler, fantastic build and many thanks for this detailed outline of your experience with DengFu build which is a great resource for newbies. :bigthumb:

I have had a look at @waynebergman's thread and he also did a great outline. :bigthumb:

Both your posts have motivated me with the right nudge to embark on my first custom build which will be based on the E10 framekit.

Hence this is a thank you and introduction post only :)

Waynemarlow said:
Yes my E10 has just arrived via paying at the Tony paypal address. If you pay it as a friend you not have to pay the surcharge but you run the risk of it going missing etc in the post. I paid as a commercial invoice which gives some protection but had to pay the additional surcharge of I think 2%. I did question that but apparently its company policy.

The good thing is the frame is of very high quality and the Gloss coat I had ordered is of very good quality. Sadly the Gloss order took a bit longer than expected by a few weeks but Melody did explain this on order.

Nice to here more successful orders as i am struggling to get my order in with a further delay on the M600 motor being out of stock.

Do you have pictures of the gloss finish? There seem to only be the matt finish pictures online. Also, i see you are in the UK which i also am, can you share your shipping experience - costs (frame & shipping), delivery schedules, taxes (if any)...etc. Did you order the battery kit too? I was quoted 4.2%, looks as though there are inconsistencies in dealing with Dengfu.

dengfu insist its normal, will u accept it?
db961b0212004816d16df183ac22a595.jpg
a69db471f3eda5f136117333bbf95e83.jpg
3c085e530c60ba446cf880543809679e.jpg
70d1eb524ee8c8589e1d289377b20b0b.jpg

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

Quick update on this bike. Been riding it quite a bit around our local tracks and enjoying the bike a lot. So glad I fitted the silent gear and I am finding that after 500km of riding, the drive is quieter then ever.

Few other changes. Fitted the large Luna display. The stock display works fine but its just too small for me. Those with young eyes wont have a problem though.

Another great change has been fitting a rather cheap DNM coil over rear shock. Seriously, this shock feels great on this bike and is heaps more plush then then the Fox DPX2 that I had originally fitted. Also really nice over jumps with a well controlled rebound and very hard to bottom out. For $170 bucks, this shock is bargain addition to this bike. Down side is that the shock is heavy (twice the weight of the DPX2). Also the bushing doesn't have the same tolerances as the Fox. Just spray painted the coil to make it look like a Fox factory coil over (from a distance :) ).

Attachments

• 20200926_161730.jpg
    20200926_161730.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 1,584
  • 20200926_161805.jpg
    20200926_161805.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 1,584
  • 20200926_161831.jpg
    20200926_161831.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 1,584
Back