bluetooth BMS?

0,1v is a lot.. The bms has to draw amps from all the higher cells to match the lowest.
Lets say that 0,1v is 1Ah and that the bms balances with 100mA. In that case it is 10 hours of balancing.

Maybe it is not 1Ah and I think the bms balances with a little more than 100mA (maybe 180mA), but still hours of balancing.
A problem is that the bms will turn on and off balancing after a while because it overheats, so it takes a lot longer than the numbers say.

ebike11 said:
Hi all!
I have the 300A 24S model but currently using only 18S. Its all connected fine but when one cell reaches the max. cell voltage limit whichbi set at 4.2 then the bms shunts off the charger. Most of the other cells are around 4.05 to 4.1. How can I get all the other cells to increase in voltage and balance to the same level as the 4.2v cell?
Thanks
Are you sure it just stopped charging without any balancing?
I am using the "ANT" bms and there is no problem in balancing.
Most probably I guess it is the settings that make it cannot balance automatically. Please post all the related settings so that we can check for you.

j bjork said:
0,1v is a lot.. The bms has to draw amps from all the higher cells to match the lowest.
Lets say that 0,1v is 1Ah and that the bms balances with 100mA. In that case it is 10 hours of balancing.

Maybe it is not 1Ah and I think the bms balances with a little more than 100mA (maybe 180mA), but still hours of balancing.
A problem is that the bms will turn on and off balancing after a while because it overheats, so it takes a lot longer than the numbers say.

Thanks for helpful info!
If the BMS is on..with the red lights for the cells still flashing, will it still be in BALANCE MODE even when the charger is disconnected? Thx

I also think my balance setting is at 200mA

tmho said:
ebike11 said:
Hi all!
I have the 300A 24S model but currently using only 18S. Its all connected fine but when one cell reaches the max. cell voltage limit whichbi set at 4.2 then the bms shunts off the charger. Most of the other cells are around 4.05 to 4.1. How can I get all the other cells to increase in voltage and balance to the same level as the 4.2v cell?
Thanks
Most probably I guess it is the settings that make it cannot balance automatically. Please post all the related settings so that we can check for you.

Yes it could be a setting.
16 out of 18 cells are fine. The high cell can be discharged down to the rest..but with the bms charge the low cell UP to the others? Even with the charger off? Thanks!

ebike11 said:
tmho said:
ebike11 said:
Hi all!
Thanks

16 out of 18 cells are the. The high cell can be discharged down to the rest..but with the bms charge the low cell UP to the others? Even with the charger off? Thanks!
The high cell will be discharged to a certain value (according to the setting).
When balancing, the charger will be turned on by the bms.
I will post a video to show you the balancing in my "ant" bms later tonight.

tmho said:
ebike11 said:
tmho said:
ebike11 said:
Hi all!
Thanks

16 out of 18 cells are the. The high cell can be discharged down to the rest..but with the bms charge the low cell UP to the others? Even with the charger off? Thanks!

Ok thank you!!

tmho said:
ebike11 said:
tmho said:
ebike11 said:
Hi all!
Thanks

Here is the video showing the balancing done by my bms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUayl-8JyoI

First, it was charging with Balance showing "BalanceLimit". (I am not sure what "BalanceLimit" means. If someone knows, please tell me). When the CellHigh reached 4.1V at 1:41, the protection kicked in and stopped the charger. At 1:53, Balance changed to OFF. Then when CellDiff was 0.002V (higher than 0.001V), Balance showed CellDiffBalance meaning that it was balancing. When CellDiff was 0.001V, Balance showed OFF. Later I unplugged the charger at 2:54, the balancing still went on.

My settings:
CellHighProtect 4.1V
CellDiff Value to start Balancing 0.001V

tmho said:

Do you think you could do that vid again and turn your phone and the cam so that we can see the actual cell diff voltages and the whole screed?

Vertical video syndrome at its finest.

I have a ANT 16s 100A BMS. The problem is, the bluetooth goes offline after a while even if there is a constant draw of current. To wake it up, I have to manually use a extra 3V-cell and connect it with the two designated wires. That is most unconvinient.

Anyone knows how to solve this issue. Maybe some changes in the settings?

DogDipstick said:
tmho said:

Do you think you could do that vid again and turn your phone and the cam so that we can see the actual cell diff voltages and the whole screed?

Please find the video I did again. But since the battery had already been balanced, so there was just very little balancing was done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43XwqI55j8

tmho said:
DogDipstick said:
tmho said:

Please find the video I did again. But since the battery had already been balanced, so there was just very little balancing was done.

Why are you getting Cellhigh error when your cells are still under 4.2?

ebike11 said:
tmho said:
DogDipstick said:
tmho said:

Why are you getting Cellhigh error when your cells are still under 4.2?
This is because my CellHighProtect setting is 4.1V

Cowardlyduck said:
Anyone know what would prevent a 30a common port one of these to fail to show any charge current?
I've tried all the settings and just can't get it to register any charge going in. It still let's it charge... Just doesn't show it.
Cheers
Was user error! I had my charger wired into the wrong side of the BMS so the charge wasn't going through the BMS. :roll: :lol:

Cheers

All of my 18 cells on the bms are in correct order and the battery pack voltage BEFORE the bms unit is roughly 74V fully charged..but the main leads on the output side of the bms that goes to the controller only shows 23V or so. This is weird

ebike11 said:
All of my 18 cells on the bms are in correct order and the battery pack voltage BEFORE the bms unit is roughly 74V fully charged..but the main leads on the output side of the bms that goes to the controller only shows 23V or so. This is weird
Even if the BMS output is off, it is common to see full voltage at the output. But it won't allow current to flow. Any load on that output will easily pull the voltage down. What you see is probably the burden of the meter loading the output a very tiny amount, not enough to pull the voltage to zero, but enough that you don't see full voltage.

If the BMS output is on and you only see 23V, then something else is happening. Not sure. Can you confirm that the BMS is actually on?

serious_sam said:
ebike11 said:
Even if the BMS output is off, it is common to see full voltage at the output. But it won't allow current to flow. Any load on that output will easily pull the voltage down. What you see is probably the burden of the meter loading the output a very tiny amount, not enough to pull the voltage to zero, but enough that you don't see full voltage.

If the BMS output is on and you only see 23V, then something else is happening. Not sure. Can you confirm that the BMS is actually on?

Thanks for the reply
When the bms is on properly..is it normal for the 18 red indicator lights in ny case (18 cells), to be flashing constantly in a wave pattern??

serious_sam said:
Not sure sorry.

Its ok thx
I have 1 more issue. How do you guys turn on and off the bms?
I tried an on off switch on the 2 wires on the jst plug on the side of the bms and also a momentary switch but the bms still remains on.. So strange.

ebike11 said:
How do you guys turn on and off the bms?
I leave mine on 24/7. Current draw is negligible. I have the standard Bluetooth type. No display or lights or anything.

Apparently you can connect a switch to one of the temperature sensor inputs and program the BMS to deactivate the mosfets below a set temperature (seen when the switch shorts out the temp probe). But it isn't a full "off" switch. It just shuts off the output. Haven't tried it myself but sounds feasible.

ebike11 said:
I have 1 more issue. How do you guys turn on and off the bms?
I tried an on off switch on the 2 wires on the jst plug on the side of the bms and also a momentary switch but the bms still remains on.. So strange.
I use the switch on the side and all lights will go out.

I have another issue:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/G9gF6pL7b1H939Dr6

Discharge Tube is Abnormal.
Didn't find anything... Anyone any suggestions?

I have two questions:
1. Does anyone have bad experiences buying from LLT power? https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/
2. Would it be a problem to have 4 of these bms's next to each other? How easy it is to switch between them when trying to communicate with one and then the other and so on.
Plan is to have a four 17s batteries to create an extra plugin battery for a Prius.

No issues ordering direct and shipping to UK, although very much the usual China quirks.

I have two side by side without issue, the iOS app lets you select by name (and you can rename, although it’s not great for me)

Hi All,
New here and I am building my first pack for a DIY eBike.
I am wondering if you could help me diagnose an issue I am having on a new ANT BMS which I bought from ebay, the seller is no real help as the manual is very basic.
Before connecting this to my main battery which will be a 14S8P samsung 25R cells, I decided to test the bms bluetooth out. I made up a 7S1P pack and connected the balance wires as per the diagram. I have connected it to the charger (Bench power supply set to 31.5V) and do not seem to be able to see a charge, however I do see pulses of peaks of voltage and current of around 5A followed by 4-5 beeps with a red flashing light. Anyone able to shed some light on this for me? Or does anyone have a manual for the iOS app?
I dont really want to connect this up to my proper battery just yet as it has taken a while and money to build
TIA

Taz

BMS.jpg

BMS-2.jpg

BMS-1.jpg

7-S-connection.jpg

BMS-IOS-APP-3.jpg

BMS-IOS-APP-1.jpg

Back