EV's on The Long Way Up

Lebowski

10 MW
Have you guys seen the first few episodes of 'the long way up' ?

McGregor and Boorman are travelling on 2 HD lifewires from Ushuaia to LA. They are supported by Revian EV pickups.

And a diesel generator :?

P.s. bought a HD a few days ago, can post pictures if anyone interested.

I don't do good with letters? HD = Hard Drive?
Ride carefully.
HSJLKBBWUR67CMTUTDQ32QRKNI.jpg

I loved their 2 other trips and this one should be just as good if not better.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12824922/

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/ewan-mcgregor-long-way-up-apple-tv/index.html

I hope its just not on AppleTV, maybe the Youtubers can get it on YT without too much fuss
“Long Way Up” to debut globally September 18 on Apple TV+
https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/news/2020/08/apple-tv-unveils-first-look-at-long-way-up-a-new-original-unscripted-series-starring-ewan-mcgregor-and-charley-boorman/

The first couple of eps were so so - hopefully it picks up.

Would love to take a HD livewire for a spin but they're $50,000 here!
Burn in hell.

Cannot be a big market segment at that price.

boars said:
..... but they're $50,000 here!

Yep, they are spendy for sure !
But there is plenty of money in the HD fan club.
And it is still cheaper than the cheapest EV (Hyundai etc).. :wink:
So which would you rather take to the pub on Sunday ?
(Personally, i will take an UBER and have an extra beer , paid for from the interest on that $50k saved !)

I've ridden the Livewire - great bike. A genuinely good electric bike. Its range is about what I'd expect for a bike of that size, weight and capability, the components on it are appropriate for the job, and it's plenty fast. Harley will sell every bike they make.

As for the Long Way Up series - it's pretty good, and anyone who's done long trips in an EV in Australia knows exactly how they feel :D

Hillhater said:
boars said:
But there is plenty of money in the HD fan club.
And it is still cheaper than the cheapest EV (Hyundai etc).. :wink:

Don't disagree that there are big spenders in the HD fan club but I feel a Venn diagram comparing EV lovers and HD lovers doesn't have much overlap.

Happy to be proven wrong but any time I've been at a HD dealer they've been pretty anti EV and even the old V-Rod was too different for them. Admittedly dealers aren't necessarily pushing what purchasers necessarily want but they were actively hostile towards the concept which is not exactly helpful for sales.
Personally I thought the V-Rod was kinda nice looking for a HD.

jonescg said:
I've ridden the Livewire - great bike. A genuinely good electric bike. Its range is about what I'd expect for a bike of that size, weight and capability, the components on it are appropriate for the job, and it's plenty fast. Harley will sell every bike they make.

Yeah, I don't think they're a bad bike per-se - just don't feel there's much bang for buck - I know that's perception and the cost of these things is what it is but when an Electric car isn't much more it becomes a bit of hard pill to swallow.

When looking between an ICE bike (like the BMW S1000RR M (very well reviewed)) and the Live Wire it just shows how far in price we've got to go.

I remain to be convinced the HD audience is the right target market for this bike but hey, if you're right and I'm wrong I'll actually be more than happy.

I'm rooting for HD, I really am.
It's great to see one of the major manufacturers actually selling SOMETHING.

Having watched the first few episodes its obvious this was no easy trip.
A lot of “range anxiety, and a few sessions stranded with flat batteries.
I dont think all is revealed in the final cut either... !!
I also do not believe they did their homework very well either, or they would have been aware of issues with charging in sub zero temperatures and of prior EV adventurers down in that territory....
Rivian commented in the first episode that there would be a lot to learn as this would be the first time any EV had made this trip up the entire S American continent.
Well , technically they may be correct, but in reality this trip (and more) was made 10 years ago in a 2 seater open top, EV sports car .
They drove the entire 20,000km from Alaska to the tip of Argentina in a Student built EV.
http://www.racinggreenendurance.com/blog/?p=1737

boars said:
I remain to be convinced the HD audience is the right target market for this bike but hey, if you're right and I'm wrong I'll actually be more than happy.

I'm rooting for HD, I really am.
It's great to see one of the major manufacturers actually selling SOMETHING.

Perhaps not at the moment......but HD stereotypical buyers are dying off. Not to mention that the used market for nice HD bikes is huge. Millennials' are not stepping up to buying V-twin power because they can barely afford rent. Besides, they would rather have the latest and greatest smart phone + social media points than own a hog. On the other hand E-power of anykind fits exactly in the sweet-spot of their green-image. I think HD offering e-power options was a survival move on their part.

P

You guys keep saying that $50k is 'about as much' or 'cheaper than the cheapest EV'. You can literally buy TWO Nissan Leaf S40s for that much, after federal credit. You can buy any Leaf at all for less than $50k. Not to mention most other non-luxury EVs. I doubt that you can buy a Livewire anywhere for $25k.

LeftieBiker said:
You guys keep saying that $50k is 'about as much' or 'cheaper than the cheapest EV'. You can literally buy TWO Nissan Leaf S40s for that much, after federal credit. You can buy any Leaf at all for less than $50k. Not to mention most other non-luxury EVs. I doubt that you can buy a Livewire anywhere for $25k.

They're Aussies, speaking in terms of Aussie play dollars. Also, their price on a USA made motorcycle will be higher, most likely, than the USA consumer price.

With that out of the way, yes Harley Davidson motorcycles are stupidly expensive, beyond any reasonable justification. This isn't limited to only the electric kind.

LeftieBiker said:
In USA $$$s a livewire is $30k. Before tax credits,..so likely $27.5k actual
Leaf S is $31.6k before credits, ..so maybe $24.1k ...IF the credits have not run out by then !

LeftieBiker said:
Now it makes sense - thanks. I'd actually forgotten that Australia uses dollarwannabees.

They're called Dollarydoos thankyou very much.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.co.uk%2F2015%2F10%2F16%2Fpetition-rename-australian-currency-dollarydoos_n_8313124.html&psig=AOvVaw2V7WaR0fksbJy9vimC9reM&ust=1606737101321000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLjW3KLYp-0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Back