New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
nomidis   10 W

10 W

Re: New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Post by nomidis » Oct 06 2020 12:56am

Hello guys, can you recommend any service guide for TSDZ2?
I have the 750w motor, I done so far 1300km and no problem so far.
I need a guide to provide my mechanic, so I can help him do the maintenance service of the motor.

Only highlights:
1) a little wobbling (which i had noticed since the installation of the kit) but it is not at annoying level
2) speed sensor does not always work good. sometimes shows 0 km/h, although i am moving fast

Adarsh881   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Adarsh881 » Oct 06 2020 1:21am

cargowill wrote:
Oct 05 2020 2:50pm
Hello! I have had the TSDZ2 for a while now and love it. However I have had a bit of an issue for the entire time I've owned it. The crank has some play, and the chainring has some play. I know everything externally is tight (allen bolts that hold the chainring and spider, lock ring etc., all of the movement seems to be in the chainring spider. I emailed the vendor on Amazon and they told me it was normal...So i ignored it and rode 1500km. I know that wasn't the best idea, but I was frustrated and wanted to ride.

However winter is about to hit and I wouldn't mind getting my bike ready for the frosty commute, so now is the time to tackle this issue. I have posted a GIF of the wiggle below from a when I first noticed (It hasn't really gotten much worse).

[url]https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comment ... &context=3[Link to reddit]

I have tried searching, however I cannot seem to find anyone else with this issue. I would love to figure it out.

Read this thread. A lot of people have the same issue:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&start=7150

However if the wobble in the chainring turns out to be in the sprag clutch I wouldn't worry about it because when the sprag clutch locks under load it will center iself. Try to put some load on the peddle and see if it is still moving. If it is still moving more than say 2mm then replace the Sprag clutch. I definitely would go for a good quality German or US bearing as they will last longer. They are not so expensive. Look for instructions on youtube it's not that hard.

As the small wobble in the axle it is "normal" with this motor. Apearantly there needs to be a little play at least on the right side of the axle where the chainring is for the torque sensor to function properly. (See this post:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&start=7250#p1560113)
I did put a second bearing in on the left side and managed to put a feeler gauge between the axle and the 2 bearings as described in this post: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&start=7150#p1554147 and it got a lot more stable but I would leave the right side alone for I wouldn't want to mess with the torque sensor especially if you are happy the way your motor is operating now.

vass   1 W

1 W

Post by vass » Oct 06 2020 3:22am

Strange, then that part of the controller is ok , try to put factory software back just to test the short didnt do something to the one on the controller (like wipping the chip were it is stored).
Did you also test the battery? maybe the short fried the bms and the batt is dead :(
szchz wrote:
Oct 01 2020 10:57am
vass wrote:
Oct 01 2020 4:24am
It means that its probably dead and you need a new one , you could try to check if the programming software (STVisualProgrammer) can read/write from and to it, but my guess is you fried it (with luck the lcd is ok)
szchz wrote:
Oct 01 2020 12:51am
If I blew my controller, would that mean I can't program it?

I forgot to unplug the battery when I cut some cables, sparks flew... my display doesn't work but how do I know if the controller is okay?
yup, I can read/write no problem.

maximusdm   100 W

100 W

Re: Problem with torque sensor!

Post by maximusdm » Oct 06 2020 4:40am

Hi,

Anyone with experience in torque sensor has some ideas why the sensor does not read any change in torque?

Thanks!
maximusdm wrote:
Oct 01 2020 7:09am
leisesturm wrote:
Sep 29 2020 11:02am
maximusdm wrote:
Sep 29 2020 7:54am
1. Why does the sensor value not change on force?
2. Also is there a way to simulate pedal force without installing it on motor?
3. I read the wiki but is not very clear how to do it with 2 screwdrivers.
3a. Maybe someone knows better how a torque sensor works and has some ideas.
1. It probably is changing, however, it is calibrated to record force levels FAR ... FAR in excess of anything you can generate with your fingers.
2. No. See answer 1. Above. The whole system has to be assembled and the test weights need to work through the leverage of the ~6"+ crank length to generate meaningful signal levels.
3.I skimmed the wiki and did not take away anything involving Screwdrivers. What I took away was that calibration could involve known weights like large bags of sugar, or flour, or children(!). I can't see how you could simulate a 'known' weight with two Screwdrivers. I would probably be unconscious after two Screwdrivers but your alcohol tolerance might be much higher.
3a. It has been explained to me how the torque sensor works. To have better ideas than the ones in the wiki, I would need to know what exactly is your issue? Is your motor operational or not?
Hi,

By calibration hardware I mean the process in which the torque sensor range is increased significantly versus stock. Usually the torque sensor can measure up to 260 torque units. If it starts from 180, the whole range is 80 units.
If you manage to align the magnets and the sensors correct you can start from 60 lets say. So 200 units range. I do not make the software process implemented in latest version of OSF with weights.

The symptoms are: the display starts with no errors and on pedal press the motor is not started. When checking the diag menu for torque sensor, the value is constant: 80 units.

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... que-sensor
Please see:How to adjust the torque sensor part below.

cargowill   1 µW

1 µW

Post by cargowill » Oct 06 2020 6:19am

Adarsh881 wrote:
Oct 06 2020 1:21am
cargowill wrote:
Oct 05 2020 2:50pm
Hello! I have had the TSDZ2 for a while now and love it. However I have had a bit of an issue for the entire time I've owned it. The crank has some play, and the chainring has some play. I know everything externally is tight (allen bolts that hold the chainring and spider, lock ring etc., all of the movement seems to be in the chainring spider. I emailed the vendor on Amazon and they told me it was normal...So i ignored it and rode 1500km. I know that wasn't the best idea, but I was frustrated and wanted to ride.

However winter is about to hit and I wouldn't mind getting my bike ready for the frosty commute, so now is the time to tackle this issue. I have posted a GIF of the wiggle below from a when I first noticed (It hasn't really gotten much worse).

[url]https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comment ... &context=3[Link to reddit]

I have tried searching, however I cannot seem to find anyone else with this issue. I would love to figure it out.

Read this thread. A lot of people have the same issue:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&start=7150

However if the wobble in the chainring turns out to be in the sprag clutch I wouldn't worry about it because when the sprag clutch locks under load it will center iself. Try to put some load on the peddle and see if it is still moving. If it is still moving more than say 2mm then replace the Sprag clutch. I definitely would go for a good quality German or US bearing as they will last longer. They are not so expensive. Look for instructions on youtube it's not that hard.

As the small wobble in the axle it is "normal" with this motor. Apearantly there needs to be a little play at least on the right side of the axle where the chainring is for the torque sensor to function properly. (See this post:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&start=7250#p1560113)
I did put a second bearing in on the left side and managed to put a feeler gauge between the axle and the 2 bearings as described in this post: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&start=7150#p1554147 and it got a lot more stable but I would leave the right side alone for I wouldn't want to mess with the torque sensor especially if you are happy the way your motor is operating now.

Thanks so much! I can get my hands on some GMN clutch bearings, so I will go that route I think.

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Oct 06 2020 8:43am

nomidis wrote:
Oct 06 2020 12:56am
2) speed sensor does not always work good. sometimes shows 0 km/h, although i am moving fast
Make sure the magnet on the spoke crosses the speed sensor at the tick mark, and not the big end. It also can't be too close, it prefers about 1cm.

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Oct 07 2020 12:19pm

Finally I have the TSDZ2 wireless board working!! (using the EBike wireless standard)

I did a minimalist very first version that only changes the assist level - on the wireless firmware I setup the default settings for my ebike, like the wheel size, assist level factors, etc. Once I turn on the system, it is ready to work and I just need to change the assist level on the GPS display, using the touch screen or the wireless remote.

Next step is to start working on the Android app so it will be possible to change the settings with it.
Any suggestions for the Android app? - maybe I should fork the TSDZ2-ESP32 Android app??: https://github.com/TSDZ2-ESP32/TSDZ2-ESP32-Main

Here a picture of the wireless board connected to the TSDZ2 LCD connector:

- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless Ebike boar ANT+ and Bluetooth, Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation to help my developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

Jaybee258   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Jaybee258 » Oct 07 2020 8:00pm

Jaybee258 wrote:
Sep 06 2020 5:41pm
vass wrote:
Sep 06 2020 2:57pm
Jaybee258 wrote:
Sep 06 2020 12:23pm
jbalat wrote:
Sep 06 2020 3:10am

Have you tried using the OSF version that works with the VLCD5 ? My friend used it and he is very happy. He came over to my house and it only took a few moments to flash it.

I do have a copy of it on my laptop in the garage if you cant find any links to it
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/v ... 30&t=98281

link to download
https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1
Thanks jbalat
Do you think this will work with the 52v battery? The VLCD-5 will be expecting 48v and I don't think I can change that.
It Will, i have the same firmware in a 52v13amp battery. You can also use the temp sensor
That's great. I will let you know how I get on. I will discharge my battery to 48 volts too. Will I see a temp reading, or does it just protect the motor?
Thanks casainho, vass, Elinx, jabalat, Behan for the help. I have got the modified stock working. It was a problem with option bytes. I'm going to ride it a bit before I try OSF again

So, this is the first time I have ridden the TSDZ2 and I'm amazed how good it is. Far far better than the Bosh that I had hired in the Alps. My first ride was 112 miles along the canal, so it is very economical. Next, I have been on steep muddy trails and a trail center in the Yorkshire Dales where I normally push. Incredible, and I can see why casainho has chosen this motor as the base for his project. Brilliant.

I mounted the motor on a trek ex8 full suss. Mounting the battery is tricky and still lives in my rucsack, but the bike is still light and we'll balanced. I thought ground clearance was going to be a big problem. I may make a bash guard, but this won't help cooling. Any good ideas? I included a wattmeter on the battery, and this is proving very interesting and very useful in working out range and planning long trips. It is possible that it will do 200miles in eco on tarmac with slicks, no wind and flat roads. We will see

I'm off up Ingleborough, then 3000' Skiddaw and Helvellyn in the UK Lakes before I do any more flashing. It is a mountainbike after all... I do fear that maybe my 860c display is faulty and is causing all my problems, a bit stuck on how to solve that one, but I can try OSF with VLCD-5 first.

Jaybee258   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Jaybee258 » Oct 08 2020 3:13am

AZUR wrote:
Sep 13 2020 11:42am
Hi all,

I would like to share with the Forum what I did on the TSDZ2 engine to improve heat dissipation.

Part 1

I acted in 3 areas:

1 - Installation of Thermal Pad according to what is described in this forum.
2 - Installation of heatsinks in the motor housing
3 - Lubricate the engine with a grease suitable for nylon Blue Gear.
I lubricated with a grease that is used to lubricate the nylon gears in the wind turbines. I used the Molykote PG-65 grease.

Below are some pictures.

Hi Azur. Thanks for sharing, and great work. I like the heat sinks that you made. That's the first time I've seen that done. Where did you get those from and how did you fix them? Many thanks

Swannking   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Swannking » Oct 08 2020 1:08pm

Jaybee258 wrote:
Oct 08 2020 3:13am
AZUR wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to share with the Forum what I did on the TSDZ2 engine to improve heat dissipation.

Part 1

I acted in 3 areas:

I lubricated with a grease that is used to lubricate the nylon gears in the wind turbines. I used the Molykote PG-65 grease.

Below are some pictures.

Hi Azur. Thanks for sharing, and great work. I like the heat sinks that you made. That's the first time I've seen that done. Where did you get those from and how did you fix them? Many thanks
I would like to add the heat sink also. Looks like u screwed then onto the housing. I think using JB weld should work also and more simple.

Elinx   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Elinx » Oct 08 2020 1:10pm

Jaybee258 wrote:
...... I like the heat sinks that you made. That's the first time I've seen that done. ....
Not exactly the first time.
I think andrea_104kg was the first experimenting with a sort of heatsinks.
QuirkyOrk and Owskov also placed heatsinks on the housing.
Swannking wrote:
Oct 08 2020 1:08pm
.... I would like to add the heat sink also. Looks like u screwed then onto the housing. I think using JB weld should work also and more simple.
That should be working too. Heat resistant glue could also be an option

Besides heatsinks there are more options to control the temperature of the Tsdz2.
Most of them are mentioned in this topic.

livello   1 µW

1 µW

Post by livello » Oct 09 2020 11:05am

Hi, everyone!!!
I am running Panasonic 2-Speed Motor with TSDZ2 controller. Now It works only with throttle.
Can anyone point me how does TSDZ2 torque sensor work, how is it wired?
As I'm going to use Panasonic internal torque sensor which has 3 wires and works this way:
"Blue to GND from the Arduino Nano
White with 20 kHz rectangle **** (pin_Pwm, 20000);
Yellow via diode on eg 1 uF capacitor and analogRead (A0);
To read the torque sensor I used a diode, a 0.1 uF ceramic capacitor and a 220k Ohm resistor."
mpv-shot0002.jpg
mpv-shot0002.jpg (140.52 KiB) Viewed 345 times
photo_2020-10-09_19-01-01.jpg
photo_2020-10-09_19-01-01.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 345 times
photo_2020-10-09_19-02-23.jpg
photo_2020-10-09_19-02-23.jpg (100.26 KiB) Viewed 345 times

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Oct 09 2020 12:09pm

the TSDZ2's torque sensor is on the crank axle, it is a piezo sensor that measures the torque of you pushing down on the pedals. this is wired to the controller board, which calculates how much motor power is appropriate for the current road speed, cadence, and torque.

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Oct 09 2020 4:17pm

can I run dual magnets on the speed sensor to cut its response time in half? this is on a 700c bike (wheel circumference is 2160 but I'll be bumping to a larger tire at 2180 shortly). Would I simply cut my tire circumference in half for this? or is there a setting somewhere for that? or is this really not a very good idea?

also, on my 860C, the 'temp graph' is showing things like 180 even though the motor temp is like 75F ? its 860C firmware 1.0.0, and I'm not totally sure what the TSDZ2 firmware is, iI can't seem to find anyplace where the TSDZ2 firmware version is displayed.

Elinx   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Elinx » Oct 09 2020 5:50pm

livello wrote:
Oct 09 2020 11:05am
Can anyone point me how does TSDZ2 torque sensor work, how is it wired?...
More info about the Tsdz2 torquesensor you can see here what Stancecoke (Hochsitzcola) has done to find out.

dameri   100 W

100 W

Post by dameri » Oct 10 2020 2:12am

LeftCoastNurd wrote:
Oct 09 2020 4:17pm
can I run dual magnets on the speed sensor to cut its response time in half? this is on a 700c bike (wheel circumference is 2160 but I'll be bumping to a larger tire at 2180 shortly). Would I simply cut my tire circumference in half for this? or is there a setting somewhere for that? or is this really not a very good idea?

also, on my 860C, the 'temp graph' is showing things like 180 even though the motor temp is like 75F ? its 860C firmware 1.0.0, and I'm not totally sure what the TSDZ2 firmware is, iI can't seem to find anyplace where the TSDZ2 firmware version is displayed.
You have same firmware version in TSDZ2 as 850C. System is not working if you have different versions on display and motor.
When you put power on display says what version you use.

LeftCoastNurd   10 W

10 W

Post by LeftCoastNurd » Oct 10 2020 3:23am

dameri wrote:
Oct 10 2020 2:12am
You have same firmware version in TSDZ2 as 850C. System is not working if you have different versions on display and motor.
When you put power on display says what version you use.
ahhh, ok. cool.

The TSDZ2 was working great on my test rides today today, 2 miles with the 52T, then 10 with the original 42T, where I swapped the rear cluster at hte local bike shop halfaway through, 13-26 to a 11-28.... for testing, I just temporarily folded and tiewrapped off the excess wiring... I still need to install and wire the lights, then decide if I want to cut up the harnesses and solder/shrinkwrap everything to exact fit, or just fold up the excess cables and put it all in a cable wrap, secured to the frame. I will almost certainly redo the main power wires from the 52V battery to the motor, as its ugly too long now.

Swannking   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Swannking » Oct 10 2020 8:57am

LeftCoastNurd wrote:
Oct 09 2020 4:17pm
I have the same temp graphic problem with the 860c display. I think the graph treated the F read out as C and do the multiplication ending up with a high value in F. If I changed all the variables to metric, then I worked appropriately but I am used to miles than kilometers. The other issues I have is the input value with the torque sensor and odometer. It took the input value and changed itself. e.g. I put in 30 and ended up 25 when I hit enter. If I use metric, it doesn’t happen.

Swannking   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Swannking » Oct 10 2020 9:01am

Elinx wrote:
Oct 08 2020 1:10pm
Jaybee258 wrote:
...... I like the heat sinks that you made. That's the first time I've seen that done. ....
Not exactly the first time.
I think andrea_104kg was the first experimenting with a sort of heatsinks.
QuirkyOrk and Owskov also placed heatsinks on the housing.
Swannking wrote:
.... I would like to add the heat sink also. Looks like u screwed then onto the housing. I think using JB weld should work also and more simple.
That should be working too. Heat resistant glue could also be an option

Besides heatsinks there are more options to control the temperature of the Tsdz2.
Most of them are mentioned in this topic.
I did read those suggestions and did the modification. I like the heat sink idea to help dissipate the heat but don’t have the source for heat sink which is low profile and not looking like a mad science project when it’s put on the motor.

AZUR   100 W

100 W

Post by AZUR » Oct 10 2020 10:50am

Swannking wrote:
Jaybee258 wrote:
AZUR wrote:
Hi all,

Part 1

I acted in 3 areas:

Below are some pictures.

I would like to add the heat sink also. Looks like u screwed then onto the housing. I think using JB weld should work also and more simple.

Hi Swannking,
heatsink.jpg
heatsink.jpg (26.95 KiB) Viewed 234 times
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3292194 ... 4c4dv7Mv3x

I painted the sinks and the engine cover after they were installed.
thermal adhesive.jpg
thermal adhesive.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 234 times
I used , MG Chemicals, Slow Cure, Epoxy Thermal Conductive Adhesive, to eliminate the air, which is between the heatsink and the engine cover.

The heat conductive epoxy glue was used by QuirkyOrk, also a user of this Forum

After applying the glue, I also used rivets and screws to more easily attach the radiator to the engine cover.

It is also very important to use a slow drying glue in order to have enough time to apply to the various sinks.

I bought it here:
https://www.digikey.pt/products/en/fans ... ageSize=25
foto 1.jpg
foto 1.jpg (155.91 KiB) Viewed 234 times
foto 2.jpg
foto 2.jpg (92.54 KiB) Viewed 234 times
foto  3.jpg
foto 3.jpg (87.12 KiB) Viewed 234 times
foto  4.jpg
foto 4.jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 234 times
dissipador motor 1.jpg
dissipador motor 1.jpg (131.93 KiB) Viewed 234 times

AZUR   100 W

100 W

Post by AZUR » Oct 10 2020 11:28am

Hi,

What improves heat dissipation a lot is using a good Thermal Pad - TP - with high heat conductivity.

The heat sinks help a lot to lower the temperature. But the best thing to prevent the temperature from rising is to install a good thermal pad.

I made several measurements with various temperature sensors, glued to the motor, and with fans to cool the engine.

I measured the time it takes the motor to reach a certain temperature without TP, and with TP.

I also measured without Heatsink and with Heatsink.

I also measured the time it takes the motor to lower the temperature in the various situations described.

Without thermal PAD the heat does not pass, quickly, to the motor cover (in the image below) and therefore the cover does not help the motor to cool.

This is my experience.
foto 2.jpg
foto 2.jpg (92.54 KiB) Viewed 232 times

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Oct 10 2020 11:37am

AZUR wrote:
Oct 10 2020 10:50am
Would be important if you could share also on the wiki, on the specific page for this topic. Maybe you could even create a new page with all this information, adding your name on the page and then link on the main page of this topic.

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless Ebike boar ANT+ and Bluetooth, Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBikes: TSDZ2 mid drive motor, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation to help my developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

charakaSamawry   100 µW

100 µW

Post by charakaSamawry » Oct 11 2020 4:44am

Hi before I ‘just go at it’. Anyone posted before about removing and changing this bearing? Seems to have gone rusty.. rust was coming from one of the screws on the other side of the sensor and I thought it was the screw but it’s come from this bearing which also seems wobbly.
I am struggling with the snap ring though, managed to get it up out the groove just about! But it doesn’t clear the wires and silicones part (guess that it’s half of the torque sensor ‘gubbins’ lol).
Can I just unscrew that and lower it inside the axle cover/torque sensor assembly, that the axle goes through? Or do I need to despiser it to get it out the way? The snap ring and bearing don’t clear it.

Cheers for any help,I did try searching but couldn’t find anything on this specific bearing.
like what bearing is that so I can get it ordered before I take it off?
Thanks

casainho   10 GW

10 GW

Post by casainho » Oct 11 2020 4:52am

charakaSamawry wrote:
Oct 11 2020 4:44am
Hi before I ‘just go at it’. Anyone posted before about removing and changing this bearing? Seems to have gone rusty.. rust was coming from one of the screws on the other side of the sensor and I thought it was the screw but it’s come from this bearing which also seems wobbly.
I am struggling with the snap ring though, managed to get it up out the groove just about! But it doesn’t clear the wires and silicones part (guess that it’s half of the torque sensor ‘gubbins’ lol).
Can I just unscrew that and lower it inside the axle cover/torque sensor assembly, that the axle goes through? Or do I need to despiser it to get it out the way? The snap ring and bearing don’t clear it.

Cheers for any help,I did try searching but couldn’t find anything on this specific bearing.
like what bearing is that so I can get it ordered before I take it off?
Thanks
I think all bearings are listed on the wiki TSDZ2 FAQ.

charakaSamawry   100 µW

100 µW

Post by charakaSamawry » Oct 11 2020 10:43am

casainho wrote:
Oct 11 2020 4:52am
charakaSamawry wrote:
Oct 11 2020 4:44am
Hi before I ‘just go at it’
I think all bearings are listed on the wiki TSDZ2 FAQ.
Thanks I missed that.. how do I get it past the err lil torque sensor wires and lil mount thing with 2 screws? :roll:
Desoldering the only way? Worried about overheating, desolder the other end? Could snipe wires n solder them after so heat is away from the sensor.. but I don’t know how sensitive they are, I mean, they have solder on them so probably ok until I take ages to melt the solder.. would prefer to not have to solder lol

viewtopic.php?t=108017#p1580080
Reading now that it is quite a loose fit anyway.... does feel a bit gritty or rough though as well as some play.. just can’t get it off