Nucular Electronics owner's thread (setup infos, FW updates, links etc.)

PITMIX said:
@John61ct, Yes he's doing FOC.
@Andrewrich On PID regulator, You can decrease the KPi setting to 100.
Did you set the number of poles correctly ?
Did you do the last update?

i set poles to 24, i have not done any updates as i only got the controller yesterday i did not think it would need updating with it being brand new ? does it still need updating ?.. will check ki setting later when i get home

serious_sam said:
andrewrich said:
the problem is when I start to pull away the motor stutters
I believe it's the "DCi Ki" can be changed from 500 to 100 to reduce the stuttering.
500033100917_104177.jpg

thank you for the correct setting location i will let you know once i have checked it and if it worked tonight when i get home.

Look at the version you have, the latest update is V.7.18 for the controller parameters and v 0.60B for the display. Updates are not mandatory, but they are so good that it can improve the functioning of your engine. setting of Dci ki important in FW mode. http://nucularelectronics.wikidot.com/en:firmware

PITMIX said:
Look at the version you have, the latest update is V.7.18 for the controller parameters and v 0.60B for the display. Updates are not mandatory, but they are so good that it can improve the functioning of your engine. setting of Dci ki important in FW mode. http://nucularelectronics.wikidot.com/en:firmware

yeah its already on newest firmware and display. but another person i asked just uploaded there config file for me fromk there cyclone and now my problem is fixed, i also set dci ki to 100 in that set up just incase.

i think the problem was i had put the pole count at 24. as on the phase-runner it asks you to multiply the pole pair by gear ratio and use that number for pole count. i am guessing the nuc 6f does not need this to happen so instead of 24 it would be a pole count of 4. so i think that mi8ght have been the issue could be wrong but yeah all sorted now thank all for helping me out

serious_sam said:
andrewrich said:
the problem is when I start to pull away the motor stutters
I believe it's the "DCi Ki" can be changed from 500 to 100 to reduce the stuttering.
500033100917_104177.jpg

yeah its already on newest firmware and display. but another person i asked just uploaded there config file for me fromk there cyclone and now my problem is fixed, i also set dci ki to 100 in that set up just incase.

i think the problem was i had put the pole count at 24. as on the phase-runner it asks you to multiply the pole pair by gear ratio and use that number for pole count. i am guessing the nuc 6f does not need this to happen so instead of 24 it would be a pole count of 4. so i think that mi8ght have been the issue could be wrong but yeah all sorted now thank all for helping me out

The number of poles is important to display the speed as a function of the engine rpm. It is also necessary to adjust the transmission ratio in the case of a mid drive engine. But if it is a Hub motor then the number of poles is sufficient.

PITMIX said:
The number of poles is important to display the speed as a function of the engine rpm. It is also necessary to adjust the transmission ratio in the case of a mid drive engine. But if it is a Hub motor then the number of poles is sufficient.

its a mid drive with 6.1 gear reduction.

Here is an excerpt from the Nucular leaflet:
Extra parameters :
Speed calculation - this device will calculate the speed, useful for multi-motor configurations, you can turn off the speed calculation on some motors.
Circle length - circumference of the wheel.
Motor sprocket - setup gear ratio from motor shaft to wheel, also useful for gear motors.
Wheel sprocket - look above ^

If you have a hub-motor, then you need to setup motor pole-pair.

It's pole pairs, not poles, the correct number is needed. If it was 24 poles on something else, then it's 12 pairs for the Nuc, not 4

Im having a similar stuttering issue with the small LMX motor which is similar to a cyclone. I'll check my DCi Ki setting.

Can anyone explain what that is?

When changing it from 500 to 100, is there some significance to the value of 100 or is decreasing incrementally until the stutter is gone a better idea than blindly picking 100?

Thanks

the only person who can answer you is Vasiliy himself.
If you want to speak directly with Vasiliy register on Telegram

DanGT86 said:
Im having a similar stuttering issue with the small LMX motor which is similar to a cyclone. I'll check my DCi Ki setting.
Can anyone explain what that is?
When changing it from 500 to 100, is there some significance to the value of 100 or is decreasing incrementally until the stutter is gone a better idea than blindly picking 100?
It's the integral constant in the PID loop. If it is set too high, it can cause oscillations.

Vasily recommended changing it from 500 to 100 to help with stuttering.

I was just hoping to understand what it was since integral constant in PID loop doesn't mean anything to me at this point.

I did try changing it to 100 it was at 200 as shipped from Vasiliy. The motor is still stuttering really bad at full unloaded RPM in FOC mode. I did notice there was an FOC Ki in that menu. Its set to 130. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I'll ask on the telegram chat if he hasn't checked in on either thread soon. I don't really have time to go road test at the moment anyway.

DanGT86 said:
I was just hoping to understand what it was since integral constant in PID loop doesn't mean anything to me at this point.

I did try changing it to 100 it was at 200 as shipped from Vasiliy. The motor is still stuttering really bad at full unloaded RPM in FOC mode. I did notice there was an FOC Ki in that menu. Its set to 130. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I'll ask on the telegram chat if he hasn't checked in on either thread soon. I don't really have time to go road test at the moment anyway.

Could be worth asking Adam at LMX also - they used to run the 6f on their smaller motors.

one of geared motor configs:

Square Ki = 0.0050
Square Kp = 0.250
FOC Ki = 100.0
FOC Kp = 0.3
FW Ki = 13.0
FW Kp = 0.010
DCv Ki = 1000
DCv Kp = 25.0
DCi Ki = 20
DCi Kp = 1
Speed Kp = 0.010
Speed Ki = 0.050
Speed Kd = 0.000250
PLL Kp = 1000
PLL Ki = 40000
Acceleration Kp = 0.00080
Acceleration Ki = 0.0200

note if you have rotor with nails it may have hall glitch issues that is not filtered by controller

Thanks. I'll try that config on mine and see how it runs. I'm not sure what you mean by nails.

If it was a hall glitch would running in sensorless mode help? Right now it runs poorly in sensorless mode. I have to be very slow with the throttle To keep it from stuttering.

In square mode it runs great everywhere all the way to top speed with or without load but it does some kind of fault if I go full throttle from a stop. It takes a few seconds to recover.

In Foc I can go full throttle from a stop with no issues but at full speed or rolling with light load I get the stutter. Hopefully these config values fix the FOC mode.

Thats also a good thought to ask adam at LMX.

Tried the settings listed above. It got better at the low load transition stuff but still makes a little audible growl when I sneak up on the throttle from a roll in FOC.

At full rpm unloaded it sounds terrible. Lots of growl and stutter like its loosing sync.

In sensored square mode or combined mode it is very smooth but full throttle from a dead stop causes a fault still.

I did not. I'll try that.

The good news is that it pretty much rides great and is very useable. I just dont want to burn up anything with amp spikes if it loses sync. Seems pretty innocent.

What happens if you set the throttle to 100% instead if 150 ?
what FOC intensity have you set ?

It still does it with no FW

I made a small board with capacitors to clean up the hall signal on an rc motor. I'm going to run the auto setup calibration with that In line And see if maybe it helps.

Does FOC use halls at all?

I think your motor has a problem because it should work fine with or without a hall. Without hall no FOC.

IDK. The motor is perfectly smooth in Square mode up to full rpm whether loaded or unloaded. It also works fine with square wave controllers. Its efficient and stays nice and cool even with me being really hard on it.

I would just run it in square rather than FOC but square does this fault think when I go full throttle from a dead stop. I saw vasiliy mention the fault thing in a thread somewhere.

I am running it at max rated phase amps so maybe its triggering a protection because its briefly peaking too much.

I usually only get short pockets of time to mess with it so troubleshooting is tough.

If the motor works well in square mode and not in Sinewave or FOC mode, there is a problem with the hall sensors.

Back