Off Road Battery Case what do you use?

geosped

100 W
So getting ready to pull the trigger and trying to make a decision on a battery pack. I've decided for my use case I'm going to get a 17ah pack capable of running at 30a continuous.

What type of battery packs would you recommend for Off Road Only use? I've cut out a couple of templates for sizing purposes. Why would you recommend one style over an other? Pro's and cons of each. Help me decide which direction I should go in.

Thoughts on Shark Style Battery holder.
From what I can tell if I'm really riding hard off road I dont feel confident that two water bottle cage bolts are strong enough to hold a 9lb battery on the frame for too long. Although I could secure some Zip Ties or Velcro still not ideal. I do like the locking aspect and battery voltage indicators are strong pros. Also it's a hard plastic shell that should do a better job if the battery ever gets ejected.

Thoughts on Triangle Style Battery holder.
Multiple straps allow you to secure it better. Will never get ejected. Although it could potentially get punctured. I feel like it would hold up better for off road use. Looks more like an accessory pleasing to the eye to look at. It doest quite scream at you saying LOOK I"M AN EBIKE. If it's a tight fit looks like you might be able to make it work with a tight pinch?? I dont like that it doesn't have an LED indicating how much charge is left. I also dont like that it doesn't have some sort of locking mechanism. Looks like I have space to get a better pack if I ever out grow a 17ah. Looks more casual lol I think casual goes better than formal when riding on a mountain lol. So I dont really have a good reason to get the Triangle other than it looks more casual lol. I think it's a few bucks cheaper. I guess the strength of this is how well you can secure it to multiple parts of the frame and never have to worry about getting ejected.

What have I missed and more importantly what do you all use and why? Which one do you like better for off road use. Which do you use?

Attachments

• shark.jpg
    shark.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 509
  • triangle bag.jpg
    triangle bag.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 493
shark can work well off road adding luggage straps

lash-tighten securely to frame

bottle mount bolts used for locating only

battery secured properly inside

triangle bag can be good

backpack tether useful configuration too

altho places battery weight higher

and might suck crashing

kcuf said:
shark can work well off road adding luggage straps

lash-tighten securely to frame

bottle mount bolts used for locating only

battery secured properly inside

triangle bag can be good

backpack tether useful configuration too

altho places battery weight higher

and might suck crashing
I thought about the back pack but I worry about the extra weight on my back and I always fill up the bladder with water and I always seem to make a mess when I either fill it up or empty it. I'm leaning towards the triangle pack.

I'd go with triangle pack for off road.
1) you can attach ot to 3 metal tube, so it can't sustain more lateral G-force than a shark pack held by two waterbottle holes (warning, flying battery pack ahead).
2) You can put way more cells inside (14S10P ??) so you got more capacity, better suited to cope with the increased energy demand of soft ground, high friction soil. Plus you keep good autonomy and the cells suffer less from high discharge rates.
3) you can put the controller inside of it.
4) if you're worried about theft, just weld it directly to the frame (aluminium or steel triangle frame battery box).

Matador

Triangle pack can stay more solidly in the frame space if you add high density foam in between the battery and bag so it really wedges into the triangle frame space. Once you get it positioned in there it won't want to slide out of there without a lot of force, especially with the help of the velcro straps.

What do they call that rear suspension design?

When mounting Shark packs or other bottle packs, I've used three or four mounting points way more often than just two. You can add rivnuts to your frame, or use clamp-on bosses in whatever quantity.

I don't think that makes a Hailong Shark pack a great idea for off road, unless it's attached to the fully suspended part of a full suspension frame.

One advantage of a frame bag that you didn't mention is that it gives the battery some shock absorption by virtue of its construction. This can become a disadvantage if there isn't much clearance under the bottom of the pack, so that it's allowed to smack down onto hard frame parts.

99t4 said:
Triangle pack can stay more solidly in the frame space if you add high density foam in between the battery and bag so it really wedges into the triangle frame space. Once you get it positioned in there it won't want to slide out of there without a lot of force, especially with the help of the velcro straps.

What do they call that rear suspension design?

I think I've decided on the the triangle pack.

It's Specialized Brain Technology they had it running for years. I think they discontinued the design several years ago. The bike is a 2005 model. It's a cross country so not a lot of travel and it really rides like it's on cloud. I think it's a perfect ebike candidate. The triangle is wide open to allow for a multitude of battery options. The rear suspension has another shock that allows you to dial in the dampening "Brain" these bikes were quite expensive back in the day and even put on multiple S-Works bikes (These were the really expensive bikes)

using secured padding

triangle bag is great choice

Back