PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Place for dealers to post items for sale.
Powervelocity.com   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 927
Joined: Mar 27 2015 2:15pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Post by Powervelocity.com » Oct 16 2020 11:35am

In theory, it should work. Over CAN, the motors are synced with understanding that they are on different axles with ability to control traction. I think it would be best, however, to implement the exact logic that would be needed to keep two pairs of phases in a single motor in sync.
TorgueRPM wrote:
Oct 15 2020 5:20pm
You mention being able to connect controllers via CAN, do you think there would be any issues running a dual 3-phase/6-phase motor like a hubmonster using two controllers connected by CAN?

Powervelocity.com   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 927
Joined: Mar 27 2015 2:15pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Post by Powervelocity.com » Oct 16 2020 7:28pm

The hardware is capable of running AC induction motors and it's already capable of running them in the open loop mode. Running AC motors in FOC would be a matter of software update. I think there is a change that such support will be added in the near future.

However, considering the target application for this controller which is all sorts of EVs, AC motors will generally be less desirable compared to PM motors because the latter win in size, weight, and efficiency. Tesla, despite its name, has been moving away from AC motors for a good reason. IPM motors just make more sense.

Encoders are already supported.
parabellum wrote:
Oct 15 2020 10:34pm
Are there plans for this controller running ACIM algorithms and taking sine cosine resolver or encoder input?

User avatar
parabellum   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2085
Joined: Nov 19 2010 9:55am
Location: Dominican Republic, north.

Re: PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Post by parabellum » Oct 16 2020 9:43pm

Powervelocity.com wrote:
Oct 16 2020 7:28pm
IPM motors just make more sense.


Can you recommend some IPM motor that can take 25KW and works well with your controller? (I suppose it works with backwards "field weakening" logic of IPM)
Running AC motors in FOC would be a matter of software update.
Thanks, in my understanding, when/if vesk gets full closed loop support to ACIM, you can include it in a update. Right?

Powervelocity.com   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 927
Joined: Mar 27 2015 2:15pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Post by Powervelocity.com » Oct 17 2020 12:23pm

We have had good results testing IPM motors so far. As an example, a QS middrive motor tested well. Some can take 25kw bursts. They seem to be mostly IPM now, but I would make sure before buying. There is no reason why other more expensive IPM motors wouldn't work.

There is at least a couple of implementations leveraging field reluctance for VESC fw. One is Maximum Torque Per Amp (MTPA) that seems most interesting. Here is more on it: https://hackaday.io/project/164932-axio ... -into-vesc

I am planning on adding this feature in the next firmware update.


parabellum wrote:
Oct 16 2020 9:43pm
Powervelocity.com wrote:
Oct 16 2020 7:28pm
IPM motors just make more sense.


Can you recommend some IPM motor that can take 25KW and works well with your controller? (I suppose it works with backwards "field weakening" logic of IPM)
Running AC motors in FOC would be a matter of software update.
Thanks, in my understanding, when/if vesk gets full closed loop support to ACIM, you can include it in a update. Right?

Hertzelz   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 49
Joined: Jun 03 2015 4:05am

Re: PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Post by Hertzelz » Oct 17 2020 4:15pm

Powervelocity.com wrote:
Oct 17 2020 12:23pm
We have had good results testing IPM motors so far. As an example, a QS middrive motor tested well. Some can take 25kw bursts. They seem to be mostly IPM now, but I would make sure before buying. There is no reason why other more expensive IPM motors wouldn't work.

There is at least a couple of implementations leveraging field reluctance for VESC fw. One is Maximum Torque Per Amp (MTPA) that seems most interesting. Here is more on it: https://hackaday.io/project/164932-axio ... -into-vesc

I am planning on adding this feature in the next firmware update.


parabellum wrote:
Oct 16 2020 9:43pm
Powervelocity.com wrote:
Oct 16 2020 7:28pm
IPM motors just make more sense.


Can you recommend some IPM motor that can take 25KW and works well with your controller? (I suppose it works with backwards "field weakening" logic of IPM)
Running AC motors in FOC would be a matter of software update.
Thanks, in my understanding, when/if vesk gets full closed loop support to ACIM, you can include it in a update. Right?
When you think I could order? and when it should be shipped?

User avatar
parabellum   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2085
Joined: Nov 19 2010 9:55am
Location: Dominican Republic, north.

Re: PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Post by parabellum » Oct 17 2020 5:51pm

Powervelocity.com wrote:
Oct 17 2020 12:23pm
One is Maximum Torque Per Amp (MTPA) that seems most interesting. Here is more on it: https://hackaday.io/project/164932-axio ... -into-vesc

I am planning on adding this feature in the next firmware update.
Cool, I didn't know Axiom is working on VESC and MTPA seems to be next evolution step, for IPM at least. Thanks!
I have 2 spare ACIM motors on the shelf right now, but will look around for IPM to.

User avatar
TorgueRPM   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 46
Joined: Jan 09 2019 3:27pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Re: PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Post by TorgueRPM » Oct 18 2020 8:23pm

Powervelocity.com wrote:
Oct 16 2020 11:35am
In theory, it should work. Over CAN, the motors are synced with understanding that they are on different axles with ability to control traction. I think it would be best, however, to implement the exact logic that would be needed to keep two pairs of phases in a single motor in sync.
TorgueRPM wrote:
Oct 15 2020 5:20pm
You mention being able to connect controllers via CAN, do you think there would be any issues running a dual 3-phase/6-phase motor like a hubmonster using two controllers connected by CAN?

The other option is to split the throttle signal, powering the throttle with one of the controllers and running just the signal wire to the other controller.

dkassem10   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 11 2020 10:16pm

Re: PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Post by dkassem10 » Oct 21 2020 4:29am

I ordered a 20kw controller 12 days ago and still no tracking number. I have tried very hard to make contact with Power velocity with no response. This should be normal to say you have stock of a controller and not be able to ship it for 2 weeks and no update to customer to let him know your not stealing his money. Very sketchy business.

Powervelocity.com   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 927
Joined: Mar 27 2015 2:15pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Post by Powervelocity.com » Oct 21 2020 12:21pm

I know this has been done before but never tested. Sinusoidal controllers use hall signal all the time to detect the rotor position.
FOC favors BEMF for the motor phase detection. Not sure how well that will work with two sets of copper coils sitting on a single stator.
TorgueRPM wrote:
Oct 18 2020 8:23pm


The other option is to split the throttle signal, powering the throttle with one of the controllers and running just the signal wire to the other controller.

john61ct   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6284
Joined: Dec 18 2018 2:06pm

Re: PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Post by john61ct » Oct 21 2020 7:50pm

OP did you not even read the post before yours?

Powervelocity.com   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 927
Joined: Mar 27 2015 2:15pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: PV NextGen FOC 130v 200/600A 25kw - $599, Watch Display

Post by Powervelocity.com » Oct 22 2020 11:02am

Seems like a kid trolling. Searched all threads where I posted (not even my threads) and posted this same thing everywhere, revenge kind of deal. Seems like created the account for the trolling purposes. 6 posts from this user total on the forum and all the same thing. Thank goodness I didn't sell anything to him.
2020-10-22_9-27-58.jpg
2020-10-22_9-27-58.jpg (251.53 KiB) Viewed 36 times
john61ct wrote:
Oct 21 2020 7:50pm
OP did you not even read the post before yours?

Post Reply