How do you size the right Mid Drive?

I assume there is no way to add a torque sensor to the existing BBSHD and hooked up with some custom firmware or cycle analysis or someone would have mentioned it. Also I was strongly considering the tsdz2 at 52v but ultimately I decided against it as I didn't think it would be all that durable hauling my 250lbs up and down the hill. Curious what's wrong with it?

I put in my order last night for the BBSHD with a 52v 17.5ah thanks for all those peeps that contributed. :)

geosped said:
So I went with the BBSHD and 52v 17.5 ah triangle pack. I was torn between the BBSHD and Tenshong. I started looking at the TenShong because I really like the idea of torque sensing and pedal assist. More natural feel more of a real assist. Keeps the bike lighter and more nimble but also let's it feel more like a normal bike. All these positive attributes are really important to me. The big hurdle I couldn't get over was I didn't think it would be strong enough to haul me up. I think with a 52v battery folks have been pushing it to 1000w which would probably be just fine. A bit of fear kicked in since I already burned out my BMC rear hub motor at 1200w. And that's how I made my decision. If Tenshong had a more powerful option I would have probably gone in that direction.

For me getting an ebike is about getting my phat butt up the hill without having to get off and walk BUT more importantly it's about exercise. Unfortunately most of the trails are I ride I half to get off and walk a little. It sounds like I may have to adjust the BBSHD to allow me to work a little harder so I get that good workout and at the same time not having to get off and walk. If it's not so natural that's a consession im willing to make.

Good choice. The BBSHD gets my fat ass up the hill and allows me to peddle when I want. It's all controlled through the software. Do the shunt mod, I'm doing a 48A controller but 45A is stable from my experience. Don't rely on the motor, give it help and you won't have a problem. I suggest making a cork gasket for the controller because the factory silicone one is a joke.

furcifer said:
geosped said:
So I went with the BBSHD and 52v 17.5 ah triangle pack. I was torn between the BBSHD and Tenshong. I started looking at the TenShong because I really like the idea of torque sensing and pedal assist. More natural feel more of a real assist. Keeps the bike lighter and more nimble but also let's it feel more like a normal bike. All these positive attributes are really important to me. The big hurdle I couldn't get over was I didn't think it would be strong enough to haul me up. I think with a 52v battery folks have been pushing it to 1000w which would probably be just fine. A bit of fear kicked in since I already burned out my BMC rear hub motor at 1200w. And that's how I made my decision. If Tenshong had a more powerful option I would have probably gone in that direction.

For me getting an ebike is about getting my phat butt up the hill without having to get off and walk BUT more importantly it's about exercise. Unfortunately most of the trails are I ride I half to get off and walk a little. It sounds like I may have to adjust the BBSHD to allow me to work a little harder so I get that good workout and at the same time not having to get off and walk. If it's not so natural that's a consession im willing to make.

Good choice. The BBSHD gets my fat ass up the hill and allows me to peddle when I want. It's all controlled through the software. Do the shunt mod, I'm doing a 48A controller but 45A is stable from my experience. Don't rely on the motor, give it help and you won't have a problem. I suggest making a cork gasket for the controller because the factory silicone one is a joke.
Thx I'll look it up? Did you have to apply any additional grease or have to waterproof anything? I was gonna use a little dialelectric grease on the connectors and some heat shrink.

Is the gear switching sensor a must for mountain biking.

geosped said:
Thx I'll look it up? Did you have to apply any additional grease or have to waterproof anything? I was gonna use a little dialelectric grease on the connectors and some heat shrink.

Is the gear switching sensor a must for mountain biking.

I added thermal paste to the heatsink between the mosfets and the controller housing when I did the controller mod. You could add some RTV to where the wires come out of the controller, but I found a good cork gasket was more than enough. Adding dielectric grease to the Higo connectors probably won't hurt but they are waterproof anyways. Be careful putting them together, the pins bend easily.

I never bothered with a gear sensor but I've got one coming for my next build. I never found shifting to be that problematic but I've ridden motorcycles all my life. I basically treated the throttle like I would the clutch on a bike. I don't know how responsive the gear sensor is but my gut tells me you've got to be carful not to be on the throttle when you shift even if you have one. Missing a shift makes a horrible noise you just know isn't good.

Just finished now just waiting for the battery.

Attachments

• IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 594
geosped said:
Just finished now just waiting for the battery.

Dude, that's a sick build. If you've got a good chain line you're golden. When you do the mod and start pulling 45A you'll get the full potential out of this drive you'll realize it isn't bad for the price. Good bones on that one.

That's a sweet looking setup

I too am torn on my next off road setup. Part of me wants the TSDZ2 as I feel it will ride kind of like the poor man's factory ebike and should be pretty efficient and fluid with the OSF flash, on the other hand the BBS is a bit more bulletproof and will make things fun on faster trails and fire roads unlike the TS where I was expecting it would pretty much just make riding easier and more enjoyable

I'm kind of starting to come to the conclusion that there's no one perfect solution and I'm going to need two different bikes for the two different types of trail around here. Lots of slow tight stuff where I'm afraid that the BBS we'll be over till in terms of weight and power and change the characteristics of the bike too much between it and the battery required to keep it going

on the other hand there are a lot of double track trails and old horse trails and fire roads we're going 40 miles an hour and basically using it almost like an electric motocross bike would be awesome

In the end I'll probably do both, pair the TS with a carbon 29er or a 27.5 plus like the trek Roscoe and try to do a lightweight build focused on single track and efficiency and then slap a BBS HD or a cyclone on a full suspension rig

I got most everything setup. For off-road this is awesome. I can not advocate strong enough how well the gear sensor is working out. The small delay in the motor cutoff in switching gears is well worth it. I wasn't used to having to stop pedaling before switching gears. Now I don't have to worry about.

Also using the eggbeater display is great. The pedal assist and the way it's set up is more than adequate in helping to get up steep trails. I keep it around 4 and swap up or down. It really helps to know the trail so your more efficient but it works great.

My minor gripes about the BFANG BBSHD kit from EM3EV.
1) Triangle battery fits per template great but the battery pack they use SUCKS. It's also really big. It's like a totally generic bag. It would have been awesome if they put a small access port or zipper so you can QUICKLY access the charging port and or power button.
1a) There is no access port for the battery lead wires through the battery bag. You got to create a small hole in the bag to draw the wires out of. Not a big deal but still.
2) if your using the eggrider app you can't use the battery app at the same time. one of them crashes. The battery app on the EM3ev triangle pack via BT is very cool.
3) a better chainring and or options should be part of any kit BBSHD. I could not have used the stock chainring without using spacers and really messing with my chainline.
4) for off-road use the gear sensor should be included. Can't see using this kit off-road with out it your gonna brake shit or just really compromise how you ride.
5) the position of the charging port on the battery is in an awkward position and not easy to get too. Would be much better if it was easliy accessible when unzipping the bag.

How exactly does the EM3EV battery "pack they use SUCK" ?
Everyone seems to love their battery packs.

geosped said:
My minor gripes about the BFANG BBSHD kit from EM3EV.
1) Triangle battery fits per template great but the battery pack they use SUCKS. It's also really big. It's like a totally generic bag. It would have been awesome if they put a small access port or zipper so you can QUICKLY access the charging port and or power button.

Something I didn't see mentioned anywhere, at least with the 860C, holding the minus button is context dependent. When not moving, it activates walking mode, but when moving it activates pause mode, which allows you to shift without power, and then regain power after releasing the button and pausing pedaling for a fraction of a second. Manual shift pausing for free.

Does the shift sensor require you to stop pedaling for a moment before it will restart after pausing? Is there a setting to adjust this behavior?

bbshd = bbs03

somewhat more rugged

hd about 3lbs heavier than 02

hd motor seemingly less efficient windings

hd likely hold up better off roading

can be found in wider BB spacing too

fat tire bikes hmm
Wasn't longer stator with procentually less unused wire loops more efficient? Grin Technologies said that Bbs02 has seemingly more peak power for it's weight only compared to BBSHD.

Back