Tsdz2 firmware open source adapted to vlcd5, vlcd6 and xh18

Elinx said:
Adarsh881 said:

So I would like to calibrate the hardware sensor by adjusting the two screws. What should be the no load value when reading of the vlcd5 screen? I'm having the "Tsdz2 open source firmware adapted to vlcd5" installed on my motor. Wiki says about the torque calibration that the no load value should be between 100 and 120, but I think that the value you read from a vlcd5 screen would be different. Is that true? And if so what should be the no load value?
It is wise only to calibrate if the range between zero- and max load isn't big enough.
I don't know which values you have now. (ignore the decimal point)

I think the values on the pictures of Chri27.5 are 8bit readings as it was before. (calibrated 250-650 and without calibration 490-620)
Now it are 10bit readings on display. (calculated 100-260 and without calibration calculated 196-248)
A torque range of 160 (10bit) is very good and is a much improvement with the uncalibrated torque range of only 52 (10bit)

A default torque range of 130 to 150 (difference between max and zero load) is a realistic value and don't need hardware calibration.

For v0.20b1 you can insert "ADC range" and "ADC step" (N/digit) with "Advanced torque sensor" setting, if you want to read exact readings on display.

Thanks that's very helpful👍

I just checked my range it's 130 to 270 so I guess that's ok. So in the TSDZ2 Parameter Configurator should I change the torque sensor to adv. and change the range to 140 instead of 160?

I also checked the "pedal torque ADC step" with 22.6kg on the pedal and the value it gives me in return is 40.3...thats a lot less than 67( actually on the display it said 67.9... ) Is that value safe to change that in the TSDZ2 Parameter Configurator?

I also checked the cadence and it gives me a value of 565 instead of the 505 that was displayed before the calibration. Is that value the "Cadence sensor high percentage" in the TSDZ2 Parameter Configurator? Is it safe to change that in the TSDZ2 Parameter Configurator also?

Adarsh881 said:
.....change the torque sensor to adv. and change the range to 140 instead of 160?....
......step..... gives me in return is 40.3...thats a lot less than 67( actually on the display it said 67.9.. ....
... cadence ... 565 instead of the 505 .....
Yes in your case adv. torque adc values 41-140 and adv. cadence value 560 should be fine.
You will notice that the support will change, so eventually you must change other level values too.
You must realize this calibration is only needed if you want to read the exact torque value on the display.
Otherwise you don't need it and could do it with the default values.

67 vs 67,9
The readings of the display have a dependency of wheeldiameter setting on display, so a reading 67,9 could have to do with that.
The best accuracy of the display you get if you insert on display-settings the highest wheelsize possible.
This setting is independent of the (right) value you entered in the OSF.

This is what mbrusa (the developer of this OSF version) said about calibrations:
source

G-translate

Calibrations:

"Pedal torque adc step" is not necessary, unless you want to see the exact value of the human power on the display (see manual), leave the default value 67. Someone advised you to use this parameter to increase the assistance, it works but only in Power mode. If you have to increase in all modes, better use "Pedal torque adc range".

"Cadence sensor high percentage" is not essential, put the detected value ..., but leave the advanced cadence mode disabled, I suggest you try it when everything is fine.

"Pedal torque adc range" this is the most important and it is the first to do, start from an intermediate value between that measured 123 and 160, in your case ... then possibly correct more or less. You must check that the assistance is well distributed
on the 4 levels, at the TURBO level it must reach the maximum power (a wattmeter is useful).

Adjustments:

Departure delay: it has already been written that "Start-up assistance without pedaling" must be enabled for an immediate departure and is valid in all modes.

"Assist without pedaling threshold", you set the thrust on the pedals necessary to start the assistance without rotation.
Higher values = less effort, you can try even over 25. Warning this parameter is used only in Power mode and with "Start-up assistance without pedaling" enabled.

"Pedal torque ADC offset adjustment", increases the sensitivity of the torque sensor. Try with values from 5 to 15 or even more if necessary, you will get to the point that a feather on the pedal will be enough to start the motor.
Attention, with too high a value, the motor starts by itself or does not stop when you stop pedaling.
This parameter is used in all modes.

"Motor acceleration", increasing this parameter increases the acceleration of the motor, in the manual there are limits to avoid problems. The original fw gives a blow, not good. If you want to try over the limit, which is 35 for 36V motor and 36V battery, aware of what you do, you can get to the bite too, you can also make the bike wheelie, but then the blue gear says bye bye.

Stop delay: when you change gears to have an immediate stop, you have to stop pedaling for a moment.
By lightening the thrust on the pedals, the motor does not stop, it decreases the speed with a deceleration ramp proportional to the wheel speed. "Motor ramp down additional" only intervenes when the pedals are stopped

Last edited:
Since I'm going to install the open Source firmware for the LCD5 in this week, there is one thing that I cannot find a clear answer to.

I live in the EU, so I cannot - legally - use more than 250w and 25kmh. Right, this is where street mode is handy.

However; I cannot find a clear answer as to how to switch between street and offroad? Do i have to go into parameter settings each time to change it - or is there an easier way to change ?

PeterpDahl said:
Since I'm going to install the open Source firmware for the LCD5 in this week, there is one thing that I cannot find a clear answer to.

I live in the EU, so I cannot - legally - use more than 250w and 25kmh. Right, this is where street mode is handy.

However; I cannot find a clear answer as to how to switch between street and offroad? Do i have to go into parameter settings each time to change it - or is there an easier way to change ?

Capture.JPG

Simply tick "Street Mode on Startup"
and on second TAB set "Street mode power limit to 250 w

Street Mode will then be the mode every time you turn battery on for a ride. You can then if you wish make temporary mode changes if you go off road which will be lost when you turn off battery.

If you are in Street Mode and you want to switch temporarily to say Torque assist mode :-

Set assist level on VLCD5 to level 2 (TOUR ) and then press Light button 4 times.
Dont press any buttons for 10 secs and then you are in Torque assist mode. You then can set level of Torque assist on display
by choosing ECO / TOUR / SPORT / TURBO.
Again when you turn battery off the next time you turn on you will be in STREET MOD

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 1,435
PeterpDahl said:
...... how to switch between street and offroad? ..
Level 1/eco, push short 2x power/light button.
The motor will always startup in level 1/eco, so you can change the offroad/streetmode like this:

Power.............. power-power

Elinx said:
PeterpDahl said:
The motor will always startup in level 1/eco, so you can change the offroad/streetmode like this:

Excellent - that was the exact information I was after :)

Elinx said:
Adarsh881 said:
.....change the torque sensor to adv. and change the range to 140 instead of 160?....
......step..... gives me in return is 40.3...thats a lot less than 67( actually on the display it said 67.9.. ....
... cadence ... 565 instead of the 505 .....
Yes in your case adv. torque adc values 41-140 and adv. cadence value 560 should be fine.
You will notice that the support will change, so eventually you must change other level values too.
You must realize this calibration is only needed if you want to read the exact torque value on the display.
Otherwise you don't need it and could do it with the default values.

67 vs 67,9
The readings of the display have a dependency of wheeldiameter setting on display, so a reading 67,9 could have to do with that.
The best accuracy of the display you get if you insert on display-settings the highest wheelsize possible.
This setting is independent of the (right) value you entered in the OSF.

This is what mbrusa (the developer of this OSF version) said about calibrations:
source

G-translate

Calibrations:

"Pedal torque adc step" is not necessary, unless you want to see the exact value of the human power on the display (see manual), leave the default value 67. Someone advised you to use this parameter to increase the assistance, it works but only in Power mode. If you have to increase in all modes, better use "Pedal torque adc range".

"Cadence sensor high percentage" is not essential, put the detected value ..., but leave the advanced cadence mode disabled, I suggest you try it when everything is fine.

"Pedal torque adc range" this is the most important and it is the first to do, start from an intermediate value between that measured 123 and 160, in your case ... then possibly correct more or less. You must check that the assistance is well distributed
on the 4 levels, at the TURBO level it must reach the maximum power (a wattmeter is useful).

Adjustments:

Departure delay: it has already been written that "Start-up assistance without pedaling" must be enabled for an immediate departure and is valid in all modes.

"Assist without pedaling threshold", you set the thrust on the pedals necessary to start the assistance without rotation.
Higher values ​​= less effort, you can try even over 25. Warning this parameter is used only in Power mode and with "Start-up assistance without pedaling" enabled.

"Pedal torque ADC offset adjustment", increases the sensitivity of the torque sensor. Try with values ​​from 5 to 15 or even more if necessary, you will get to the point that a feather on the pedal will be enough to start the engine.
Attention, with too high a value, the motor starts by itself or does not stop when you stop pedaling.
This parameter is used in all modes.

"Motor acceleration", increasing this parameter increases the acceleration of the motor, in the manual there are limits to avoid problems. The original fw gives a blow, not good. If you want to try over the limit, which is 35 for 36V motor and 36V battery, aware of what you do, you can get to the bite too, you can also make the bike wheelie, but then the blue gear says bye bye.

Stop delay: when you change gears to have an immediate stop, you have to stop pedaling for a moment.
By lightening the thrust on the pedals, the motor does not stop, it decreases the speed with a deceleration ramp proportional to the wheel speed. "Motor ramp down additional" only intervenes when the pedals are stopped

Thanks again very helpful!👍🏼

I'm just wandering why Embrusa advises to leave the cadence in standard mode instead of advance mode... I thought the advance mode would give more accuracy?

Also those 4 assist modes I'm curious what they mean. I'm just using the power assist mode as that is what is selected by default. Does torque mode mean it's only looking at the amount of torque on the pedals without considering cadence and speed?

Adarsh881 said:
......why Embrusa advises to leave the cadence in standard mode instead of advance mode... I thought the advance mode would give more accuracy?

Also those 4 assist modes I'm curious what they mean. ......
Yes, more accuracy with the torque readings on display. If that is important for you you must calibrate the adc values of the torque sensor.
But realize the calibration is only secure till about 30-40kg, because the calibration is lineair with just one value with 20kg.
From about 30kg to max. value this linearity isn't valid anymore.
For a better understanding see the wiki
In all cases you have to adjust the support levels that are best for your use.

Power mode is the most used mode and make use of cadence and torque sensor. The other modes uses one of them.
Some use torque mode for offroad use. Cadence mode will be (temporary) usefull if the torquesensor breaks down.
emtb is a more dynamic mode for offroad use and switch between torquemode and powermode.
You can try all these modes yourself inside level 2 (power/torque/cadence) and level 3 (emtb)

Elinx said:
PeterpDahl said:

Sorry, I'm being really daft this morning..

So the display starts up in display mode - now to enable "set parameter", I select level 0, then power x 2 - then wait 10 secs ?

Then I can start to alter the settings, like street/ofroad modes ?

Think I got it - I had to disable the display for values when turning on the lights. That did upset the flow quite a bit IMHO.

Flashed a new version, and everything is good - I can enable/disable street mode just like I want :)

Even if you have the option to show the values on, you don't need to wait for them to show, and if you press up or down the value sequence will stop.

ilu said:
Even if you have the option to show the values on, you don't need to wait for them to show, and if you press up or down the value sequence will stop.

Yes, but they popped up while I was trying to change options - then after it had shown them, no seetings would be changed.
I reduced the time they were shown, but it was still a pita to get the setings changed. :/

Only thing I would wish for now, is that it would show the voltage when turning it on, not the batter capacity. (since we have the battery indicator)

vlvuk said:
Hello all.

I posted my question in parallel topic but without answer, so I try to ask here.

I have new motor 48V 750W built in December 2019, I ran about 50 km (it was several trips across snow forest) and once I found my motor not working neither from pedals, neither from throttle.

First, I replaced throttle knob to similar one and it started working as it should without problem.
Then I checked Technical parameters and found no response from cadence censor, seems it also dead.
This censor located in controller and has 4 wire: red, black, blue and yellow.

Does anyone know and can explain what kind of hall sensor is it? Usually hall sensors use 3 wire (positive, negative, signal) but as I found in some cases uses 4 wire censors (positive, negative, direction, cadence) - is it our case? I will appreciate for any advice.

I have ordered several different hall censors and will try to fix it - if no success I will order new controller, but it is stupid at least to not try.

Other question - if Torque mode will be working with broken cadence sensor? If yes, I will just change mode.

Thanks to all in advance!

I am not sure about the cadence relation, however, the hall sensor is a ss41f , and when not working will give you a shutter effect.

barrettrussell said:
vlvuk said:

Other question - if Torque mode will be working with broken cadence sensor? If yes, I will just change mode.

Thanks to all in advance!

I am not sure about the cadence relation, however, the hall sensor is a ss41f , and when not working will give you a shutter effect.
Torque mode should work even with broken cadence sensor, but "Start-up assistance without pedaling" must be enabled and disconnected the speed sensor.

Elinx said:
Adarsh881 said:
......why Embrusa advises to leave the cadence in standard mode instead of advance mode... I thought the advance mode would give more accuracy?

Also those 4 assist modes I'm curious what they mean. ......
Yes, more accuracy with the torque readings on display. If that is important for you you must calibrate the adc values of the torque sensor.
But realize the calibration is only secure till about 30-40kg, because the calibration is lineair with just one value with 20kg.
From about 30kg to max. value this linearity isn't valid anymore.
For a better understanding see the wiki
In all cases you have to adjust the support levels that are best for your use.

Power mode is the most used mode and make use of cadence and torque sensor. The other modes uses one of them.
Some use torque mode for offroad use. Cadence mode will be (temporary) usefull if the torquesensor breaks down.
emtb is a more dynamic mode for offroad use and switch between torquemode and powermode.
You can try all these modes yourself inside level 2 (power/torque/cadence) and level 3 (emtb)

:bigthumb: thanks again!

... a few questions about the usage of the vlcd5 display....

Every time I start up the display it takes a few hundred meters of pedaling before the speed is displayed on the screen. Just wondering if that is normal or can I change something in the settings?
I've noticed that the odo correction doesn't function after I'm looking at the data. Any thoughts on that?

I'm curious if there is a way to flash the software without having the extra possibly of changing, or looking at the data from the screen. I'm asking this because I'm building a bike for a friend who is not familiar with computers and it would be good if she could just use the screen in the original stock mode. I'm afraid she might change settings she doesn't want to change etc.

Also any experience on how well this vlcd5 display can handle the rain?

Thanks to all replies in advance! 🙂

If i remember correctly if you disable the "odo compensation" its faster to display speed.
Regarding the changes of parameters, just tell him/her if anything fells strange or something strange is displayed to just shutdown the lcd5 and then power again, it will revert to stock settings :D

Adarsh881 said:
... a few questions about the usage of the vlcd5 display....

Every time I start up the display it takes a few hundred meters of pedaling before the speed is displayed on the screen. Just wondering if that is normal or can I change something in the settings?
I've noticed that the odo correction doesn't function after I'm looking at the data. Any thoughts on that?

I'm curious if there is a way to flash the software without having the extra possibly of changing, or looking at the data from the screen. I'm asking this because I'm building a bike for a friend who is not familiar with computers and it would be good if she could just use the screen in the original stock mode. I'm afraid she might change settings she doesn't want to change etc.

Also any experience on how well this vlcd5 display can handle the rain?

Thanks to all replies in advance! 🙂

hello, I have a problem with engine support cut-off after exceeding the speed of 25 km / h.
The limitation occurs in both street mode and off road modes ... Apart from the configurator settings, do you need to change something in the vcd5 display to unlock off road?
And the second question, is it possible to disable the battery test after changing the mode?

If "Set max speed from display" is disabled, the speed limit in offroad mode is the one set in the "Max speed" configurator.
If, on the other hand, "Set max speed from display" is enabled, the speed limit in offroad mode must be set on the display in the settings menu.
The speed limit in street mode is always that of the "Street speed limit" configurator.

slonek said:
And the second question, is it possible to disable the battery test after changing the mode?
Explain better I do not understand.

Thank you for the quick reply.
I meant whether it is possible to turn off the display of% charging and voltage, or at least reduce the display time.

5 seconds ("Time to menu items") after switching on the lights, the expected parameters are displayed (by default they are 2, battery % and voltage), they are displayed only if "Auto disply data with lights on" is enabled.
With "Auto disply data with lights on" disabled they are not displayed.
You can choose the number of parameters to be displayed with "Number of data auto displayed", the order and type of parameters from "Data 1" to "Data 6", you can change the display times of each single parameter with "Time to displayed data 1" to "Time to displayed data 6).

Ok, I understand almost everything 🙂
But I am bothered by power assist above 25 km / h and I think the problem may be incorrect switching from street to off-road mode ....
In the configurator at the beginning I have the first maximum speed of 45 km / h and "Start street mode" selected, and in the second, 25 km/h and 250w, "Power limitation on the street" selected.
In the manual, however, I read that the bike starts with the code "E02 - OFFROAD MODE with the default STREET MODE" so it is an off-road mode, but limited by the options "starting street mode" to street mode.
What code in this case, the memory for off-road E02 wheter E04 ?

LEVEL 1 - ECO -> STREET / OFFROAD MODE change of road or off-road mode
and the standard mode of the cadence sensor
E02 - OFFROAD MODE with the default STREET MODE
or - STREET MODE with the default OFFROAD MODE
E03 - STREET MODE with the default STREET MODE
or - OFFROAD MODE with the default OFFROAD MODE
E04 - STANDARD CADENCE SENSOR MODE
- TORQUE SENSOR CALIBRATION (to be done)

my current settings
Zrzut ekranu (10).png

Zrzut ekranu (11).png

Zrzut ekranu (12).png

slonek said:
Ok, I understand almost everything 🙂
But I am bothered by power assist above 25 km / h and I think the problem may be incorrect switching from street to off-road mode ....
In the configurator at the beginning I have the first maximum speed of 45 km / h and "Start street mode" selected, and in the second, 25 km/h and 250w, "Power limitation on the street" selected.
In the manual, however, I read that the bike starts with the code "E02 - OFFROAD MODE with the default STREET MODE" so it is an off-road mode, but limited by the options "starting street mode" to street mode.
What code in this case, the memory for off-road E02 wheter E04 ?

LEVEL 1 - ECO -> STREET / OFFROAD MODE change of road or off-road mode
and the standard mode of the cadence sensor
E02 - OFFROAD MODE with the default STREET MODE
or - STREET MODE with the default OFFROAD MODE
E03 - STREET MODE with the default STREET MODE
or - OFFROAD MODE with the default OFFROAD MODE
E04 - STANDARD CADENCE SENSOR MODE
- TORQUE SENSOR CALIBRATION (to be done)
The translation is probably unclear.

If the default mode is STREET, to switch to OFFROAD, at level 1 (ECO) turn on the lights (E02), turn off the lights (E02 flashing), wait for the flashing to stop.
To return to STREET mode, double switch lights on and off, until you get to flashing E03, or switch the display off and on again.
If the default mode is OFFROAD, same procedure but with inverted functions, E02 = STREET, E03 = OFFROAD.

Back