TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

asje said:
Hi Guys, After having driven 2500 km with a 48V TSDZ2 since May 2020 (without issues :) ) I've decided to give the OpenSource firmware a try. I'm currently already happy with the standard software, but am looking foreward to use the OS firmware.

Bought the 860C and build the DIY bootloader box "https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=93818&start=3900"
I've set up the to bootloader box to give off 30Volt and connected it to the display but the display will not power on.
Any idea's what might be the problem?

I've measured the all the output pins on the bafang connectors and all the wiring seems fine. I do notice that the CP2102 module gets hot and my computer sometimes gives an error message that the bootloader box is requiring to much power throught the USB port....

PS: Below a pic of the bike i've build.
48V TSDZ2, 17AH battery, Rohloff 14 speed hub, Chainglider & Magura HS33 rim brakes.
IMG_6130.JPG

Mine didn't work either. I just use the battery to power the screen now when flashing. See photo

Attachments

• sphone_20201018_101802 (Large).jpg
    sphone_20201018_101802 (Large).jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 3,377
Thanx! I gave it a try. Connected the display directly to the 48v battery and it powered on. Seems the booster doesnt work.

old set up:IMG_6457.JPG

new set up. directly connected to the batteryIMG_6458.JPG

asje said:
Thanx! I gave it a try. Connected the display directly to the 48v battery and it powered on. Seems the booster doesnt work.

old set up:IMG_6457.JPG

new set up. directly connected to the batteryIMG_6458.JPG

I would suggest hooking up a multimeter and measure the voltage from the buck converter and raise it to the limits you need. Mine seemed dead but once I measured it was at only 5v and there is a small screw on top of the adjuster, just screw it and measure again. Mine is at 28v and worked booting up and flash.

Is someone already working on the new controller? Unfortunately, you can't get the old one anymore.

Mfg Michael

Hey guys,

Is there any way to provide different assist levels on each pedal? I'm working on a bike to be used by a person with reduced strength on one side.

Thanks!

ebikelad said:
Hey guys,

Is there any way to provide different assist levels on each pedal? I'm working on a bike to be used by a person with reduced strength on one side.
Yes there is!! Use the torque sensor calibration to achieve what you are looking for.

I would suggest for your first do the torque sensor calibration as described on the wiki and save the spreadsheet with the values and the curves. Then, next step would be to apply a multiplication factor for the curve of the pedal you are looking...

Please post here results later as also some pictures of the ebike!!

casainho said:
ebikelad said:
Hey guys,

Yes there is!! Use the torque sensor calibration to achieve what you are looking for.

I would suggest for your first do the torque sensor calibration as described on the wiki and save the spreadsheet with the values and the curves. Then, next step would be to apply a multiplication factor for the curve of the pedal you are looking...

Please post here results later as also some pictures of the ebike!!

Great! I'll let you know how I get on.

mallesepp said:
Swannking said:
I updated the firmware to v1.1.0. I noticed on the top of the menu is “trip memories”. When I click on that, the 860c display freezes up with an error code and the buttons became non responsive. I had to reboot it by turning it off using the battery power switch. Other than that, I need to take it out for a test run after work. I noticed I also erased all my previous settings including the torque sensor calibration. Was there something I could do to save those info when I upload the motor firmware?
I also installed 1.1.0. So far everything is ok! The response at the start is definitely better. I could not determine the freezing in the menu "Trip memories"! I will keep testing!
Ditto with the 850C display. And agree with you about start response.

Hi Guys,

Been lurking the forums on and off for the past few months and first of all I have to say that I really admire all the work that's been put into this project.

Currently I've put a couple of hundred km on the motor and thought I'd have the Open Source Firmware up an running by now. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it loaded on the display. It's an 860C btw.

Setup:
- 860C from AliExpress (shipped from Germany)
- Power from a 48V Li-Ion 13S3P
- Dell XPS 15 running latest version of Windows 10

Things I've tried or checked:

- Correct COM port number
- Inverting RX and TX
- DC transformer as Power supply
- Different laptop
- Different USB Programmer
- All buttons for the display - all working properly
- Ran the Bootloader flashing software both with and without administrative privileges
- Countless number of restarts before and after uninstalling/reinstalling drivers from different sources
- Modifying nearly all the settings on the 860C
- Resetting the 860C to defaults
- Checked output voltage of both battery and DC transformer
- Checked continuity on RX and TX wires leading to the green plug
- Pressing the power button in order to begin flashing with screen both on and off
- Pressing/Long Pressing each button or combination of two buttons for firmware upload to start.

No other searches were of use

I've seem to have hit a dead end. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Also, is there a way to just hook up the 860C without using the Open Source Firmware, just to test that it's actually working?

Thanks,
A.

Atomykatt said:
Hi Guys,

Been lurking the forums on and off for the past few months and first of all I have to say that I really admire all the work that's been put into this project.

Currently I've put a couple of hundred km on the motor and thought I'd have the Open Source Firmware up an running by now. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it loaded on the display. It's an 860C btw.

Setup:
- 860C from AliExpress (shipped from Germany)
- Power from a 48V Li-Ion 13S3P
- Dell XPS 15 running latest version of Windows 10

Things I've tried or checked:

- Correct COM port number
- Inverting RX and TX
- DC transformer as Power supply
- Different laptop
- Different USB Programmer
- All buttons for the display - all working properly
- Ran the Bootloader flashing software both with and without administrative privileges
- Countless number of restarts before and after uninstalling/reinstalling drivers from different sources
- Modifying nearly all the settings on the 860C
- Resetting the 860C to defaults
- Checked output voltage of both battery and DC transformer
- Checked continuity on RX and TX wires leading to the green plug
- Pressing the power button in order to begin flashing with screen both on and off
- Pressing/Long Pressing each button or combination of two buttons for firmware upload to start.

No other searches were of use

I've seem to have hit a dead end. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Also, is there a way to just hook up the 860C without using the Open Source Firmware, just to test that it's actually working?

Thanks,
A.

So the 860C display is brand new? Are u able to get it to turn on at all connecting to your current display cable? Which boot loader cable are u using? I have the 860c and used the boot loader cable from eco-ebike.com and didn’t have any issues. I had flashed the display multiple times with different firmware.

The display was bought new.

The "bootloader box" is DIY - actually just the CP2102 USB-TTL board as i'm getting power from the battery. I've tried two different boards with the same effect. After I add VAT, Customs and shipping, the cable from eco-ebike doesn't really make sense.

The display turns on, the buttons work when connected to the battery and i'm able to modify settings/do a factory reset.

A.

L.E. Found a booster board bought a couple of years ago around the house and managed to use that to load the firmware. It seems all I needed was the common GND.

Thanks, @Swannking for your quick reply and help :thumb:

Hi everybody. I'm running v1.1.0 and 860c display.Have done about 100km and was working fine. Love it. Thanks to all for your work.

Couple of days ago started reading 0 watts motor power and 0amps motor current even though it seemed to be functioning as normal. It had been particularly wet so I suspected water ingress and opened up to check. Bone dry.No obvious sign of anything nasty on visual inspection.Back together now and problem persists.

Any ideas????

Thanks.

Rothar1 said:
Hi everybody. I'm running v1.1.0 and 860c display.Have done about 100km and was working fine. Love it. Thanks to all for your work.

Couple of days ago started reading 0 watts motor power and 0amps motor current even though it seemed to be functioning as normal. It had been particularly wet so I suspected water ingress and opened up to check. Bone dry.No obvious sign of anything nasty on visual inspection.Back together now and problem persists.

Any ideas????

Thanks.
Very strange. At least it keeps working.

The currents and power are measured by the motor controller and sent to display.

Try for instance to limit the motor current or power and see if has effect, even if they are shown as 0.

casainho said:

The currents and power are measured by the motor controller and sent to display.

Try for instance to limit the motor current or power and see if has effect, even if they are shown as 0.

Geez. That was quick. Thanks Casainho . No time for further testing today. I'll do some experimenting tomorrow and report.
It's a brand new controller but I also have a spare controller so will be able to swap out if needed.I'm suspecting controller.

Swannking said:
I updated my motor to v1.1.0 with a 860c display. I did a few test run. Today, I took it for for 30 mil ride. The route has some good climb (14%). The startup power seems to have improved. At the end of the trip, I noticed the trip distance was not correct. I use imperial system. Instead of roughly 28 mil total, the display registered something close to 17 mil. It was the same for trip distance A or B. The odometer on the other hand seems to have added the correct 28 mil. Could the program had treated the value as km and converted it to mil while the value was correctly recorded as mil and didn’t need any conversion. Any thoughts?
I have this issue as well.

Rothar1 said:
casainho said:

Geez. That was quick. Thanks Casainho . No time for further testing today. I'll do some experimenting tomorrow and report.
It's a brand new controller but I also have a spare controller so will be able to swap out if needed.I'm suspecting controller.

Tested. Motor power zero most of time.Randomly reading 10-50 watts when obviously delivering more. Tried various assistance levels and different power delivery on each at first.
After a few km power reduced in all assistance levels. Now putting out very little.
I'm thinking it's a controller hardware issue but I'm wondering if it's worth reflashing display and motor before taking it apart.Opinions???

Rothar1 said:
Rothar1 said:
casainho said:

Tested. Motor power zero most of time.Randomly reading 10-50 watts when obviously delivering more. Tried various assistance levels and different power delivery on each at first.
After a few km power reduced in all assistance levels. Now putting out very little.
I'm thinking it's a controller hardware issue but I'm wondering if it's worth reflashing display and motor before taking it apart.Opinions???
I think is the motor controller only although I think this is the first time someone reported this issue.

casainho said:
Rothar1 said:
Rothar1 said:
casainho said:

I think is the motor controller only although I think this is the first time someone reported this issue.

Certainly is a weird set of symptoms. My replacement controller is an old 8 pin female connection. Are the pinouts the same as the newer male 8 pin??

Hi all, maybe this topic has been raised somewhere but i could not find. Hope someone can support me!

I finally upgraded both TSDZ2 and 850C to the latest OS version, but no startup, after 20sec the 'error brakes' is shown. As far is i could find this points to a communiction error. So i checked a lot of older versions and v05.0 beta 3 is the one that starts. Later versions did not at least.
When i swithc on the v0.5.0 beta 3 values are 'running'; values for battery, speed and power are changing constantly, even without activating anything :(

I used the DIY cable for programming the TSDZ2, must be OK as both flashing and veryfying shows no errors.
Regarding the 850C i'm not that sure as i (assume) here we just do the flashing, no veryfying.... but flashing just starts for any version after press on the (remote) power button of the 850C. Is there a way to check the flashing otherwise?
For programming the 850 C i used the DIY version to acc. https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Flash-the-firmware-on-860C-850C-using-bootloader

Hope this sounds familiar to one of the users.
For now i would like to have 'any' version to switch back to be able to use my velo (that is where i installed it).

PieterDerckx said:
Hi all, maybe this topic has been raised somewhere but i could not find. Hope someone can support me!

I finally upgraded both TSDZ2 and 850C to the latest OS version, but no startup, after 20sec the 'error brakes' is shown. As far is i could find this points to a communiction error. So i checked a lot of older versions and v05.0 beta 3 is the one that starts. Later versions did not at least.
When i swithc on the v0.5.0 beta 3 values are 'running'; values for battery, speed and power are changing constantly, even without activating anything :(

I used the DIY cable for programming the TSDZ2, must be OK as both flashing and veryfying shows no errors.
Regarding the 850C i'm not that sure as i (assume) here we just do the flashing, no veryfying.... but flashing just starts for any version after press on the (remote) power button of the 850C. Is there a way to check the flashing otherwise?
For programming the 850 C i used the DIY version to acc. https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Flash-the-firmware-on-860C-850C-using-bootloader

For now i would like to have 'any' version to switch back to be able to use my velo (that is where i installed it).
If u can find another flashing cables for the motor and the display which are known to work, you should give that a try. Issues like yours usual originate from the cables.

Swannking said:
PieterDerckx said:

If u can find another flashing cables for the motor and the display which are known to work, you should give that a try. Issues like yours usual originate from the cables.

Sounds like a good idea Swannking, the question is of course, where to get one. Maybe one of the readers lives close to Maastricht, Netherlands whom i could use for testing... :roll:

PieterDerckx said:

The communication speed were increased to twice the speed and so possible long cables with not so good contacts may give this issues. Luckily there are almost no one with this issue. Please check your cable connections.

Back