TSDZ2 - topspeed on pure throttle?

PeterpDahl

100 mW
Hi All, I know this is down to a lot of factors, but as a rule of thumb - what is the approximate topspeed with a TSDZ2 with no pedal assist.

Rear hub is Shimano Nexus 3 speed, 18t rear, 42 front. Bike is running 26x2.30 DTH tires. Bike is a Hawk Classic, so pretty upright driving position and reasonable weight, 48v (13s3p, from 4800 21700 cells, 30A BMS)

What should be the approximate topspeed, given no wind, ground level.

Given all you have said ... 18mph. Maybe not even that. But with the right wind maybe 20mph, who knows. You are in the best position to know. I just got my battery last night. I've had the TSDZ2 in the garage for two weeks longer than that. I don't expect to go much faster than I do now. ~18mph to ~20+mph. I have a 52V system and a much more extensive gear range than you do. If I can get my trip average speed from 12mph to ~15mph I will be pleased. If it takes some of the pain out of winter headwinds and a few nasty hills around town I will be ecstatic. Top speed is a luxury I never get to enjoy. Riding in urban environments is very hard on e-bikes and the smart erider keeps the speed down to stay alive. Edit: I wrote all of the preceding with considerable rider input in mind. Pure throttle operation of a TSDZ2 is really YMMV. It isn't advisable to push one very hard unless you have the thermal monitoring enabled. You can't have both thermal monitoring and throttle so ... ... just saying.

42/18 is only a 60" high gear which might get you to what was mentioned depending on how much you weigh. The TSDZ2 is not a good stand alone system for speed but does very well with a higher cadence pedaling input. My 42/11, 110" gear, spun out pedaling does a little over 26mph on level ground and no way the throttle alone would do that. But doing some chunky gravel roads at 20mph is where I get my speed thrills mostly and it does that just fine as long as I pedal along.

Bigwheel said:
42/18 is only a 60" high gear which might get you to what was mentioned depending on how much you weigh. The TSDZ2 is not a good stand alone system for speed but does very well with a higher cadence pedaling input. My 42/11, 110" gear, spun out pedaling does a little over 26mph on level ground and no way the throttle alone would do that. But doing some chunky gravel roads at 20mph is where I get my speed thrills mostly and it does that just fine as long as I pedal along.

2nd gear is a 1.0 ratio, 3rd is 1.36, but yes not a high gearing by any means. I did take it for another spin, if i pedal i can keep 36-38kmh just fine - but cadence is fairly high :) I’ll try a 16t at the rear - should be able to cruise at 35kmh quite nice. (Still adding pedal power). On throttle it is around 32-35kmh now, which is reasonable.

Back