Cell fuse with battery pack fuse

I’m using 20S9P battery with 45A from recycled laptop 18650 cell. It work well during testing until my controller was dead short.
When the controller is dead short, it doesn’t trip the 100A main circuit breaker, but it killed my 45A bms along with burned 3 of the cell fuse. I’m replacing the bms and also replace the cell fuse. My question is; do I need to add a fuse from the main battery (before the contactor)? I’m thinking about using a dc 60amp glass fuse. My plan is also to add another 20S12P with separate bms. Can the fuse protect the bms?

Thank you for your help.

Usually not. Fuses take a definite period of time to blow and that is usually a lot longer than the time it takes the bms to die. Just get a bigger bms. Don't know why you have a 100amp CB on a 45a bms, that won't protect bms. If you have a CB rated at the peak load of the bms then maybe it would but that might cause you issues of it inadvertent tripping, right when you crank the throttle to nip in front of a truck :shock: Also when a switch/fuse suddenly pops open the voltage spine alone can kill the bms. I'd get a bms that can handle well above the controllers rating and if you want it protected, an adequate cb. Bear in mind they all have different ways of tripping.

kdog said:
Usually not. Fuses take a definite period of time to blow and that is usually a lot longer than the time it takes the bms to die. Just get a bigger bms. Don't know why you have a 100amp CB on a 45a bms, that won't protect bms. If you have a CB rated at the peak load of the bms then maybe it would but that might cause you issues of it inadvertent tripping, right when you crank the throttle to nip in front of a truck :shock: Also when a switch/fuse suddenly pops open the voltage spine alone can kill the bms. I'd get a bms that can handle well above the controllers rating and if you want it protected, an adequate cb. Bear in mind they all have different ways of tripping.
Thank you for your reply. The reason I choose 45a bms is because my 20S9P battery is build from recycled laptop battery. So I think the max amp drain of the battery is about 36A.

I’m replace the mosfets of the bms so that it use 2 mosfet in parallel in the same position9AE1A26A-F424-4FF3-9668-B6D334414C96.jpeg
740A9347-AC00-467B-B16F-89D0FEFF7510.jpeg

chronosgarage said:
I’m using 1/8 watt resistor legs as a fuse wire.
CBBD4D44-2973-4F03-847E-80E0B356E9A9.jpeg
A thread with relevant discussion to this
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/resistance-of-resistor-leads/

One of the most important points
resistors use tin plated steel
(for leads)
meaning they aren't good fuses, since they aren't likely to just melt like a fuse wire (made of low-melting point materials), but instead just generate a lot of heat (and perhaps even glow).

There could be a possibility that they'll make enough heat to melt the solder holding them in place, if they aren't mechanically attached as well as soldered, and then fall off to short stuff out in the pack.

Back