My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

I’d like to share what I have been going through with Frey. I ordered two bikes an ExPro on the in early April and a CC ($3050.00 with rack lights and mud guards) for my wife in early June. The EX Pro was with a free rail shipping promotion and the CC $550 rail to Ireland. I was sent a picture of a CC prior to shipping, it looked fine. I was then contacted and told that rail shipping was problematic and asked would I agree to air shipping for an additional $100-200. I foolishly agreed. When it arrived in Cork weighing 80kg in a massive box the customs boys were less than impressed with an invoice declaring a $500 frame. Of course they opened it. The back and forth between TNT, customs, Frey and myself was exhausting. I ended up paying $671.50 in VAT which is presently 21%. The pictures I was sent showed a bike with matching brown seat and grips. The bike I received had a black seat and brown grips. In fairness Frey did refund me $471.50 for the portion of the VAT I didn’t agree to but that wouldn’t have paid minimum wage for the time it took me to sort it out. The battery was another story with multiple tracking numbers and answers but that did eventually arrive. The CC is big, heavy and comfortable but loud. I’ve packed my own bbshd with grease so I will probably have to do the same with this one so she can hear herself think.

Now onto the EX Pro.....I’ve seen photos of one but not a word of shipping. At the 203rd day of a 187 day contract I inquired about the status and was told by Cecelia that if I amended my shipping in Alibaba for “customs” to 250 days she would ship it that day. Lads I’m thick some times but not that thick.

I then was on to Ivy and was told they had just learned that day their rail shipper no longer goes to Ireland due to Covid and Brexit. I was given two options 1. Wait until the 10th of January to see if their shipper recommences service to Ireland or receive a refund of the $4180 I paid for the EX with the dropper, lights, rack and mud guards. Grace emailed me with the refund offer which is great then I applied for it via Alibaba choosing the “seller agrees to a refund.” They rejected my request while typing that they would refund me in the description box. The description box is not “live” so if I would have agreed to their rejection I was to have no recourse. So I communicated back and forth and they continued to reject the application until I “cancel the order”. That is not an option in the Alibaba drop downs I was “not care about it” and agree to their rejection. Off to escalation I go.

So here I sit hoping the trade assurance actually works. Wish me luck.

I've been running the Frey for just over 2 weeks. Whilst my first impression was "Damn it's heavy", I've got to say, I'm extremely impressed with is thus far.

It will comfortably travel at 25mph and give me approx 35 miles. Travelling any faster and the battery life plummets to mileage in the low 20's

The front and rear fenders/ mudguards are excellent; the rear particularly so. It's not some cheap, ill-fitting plastic piece. It seems to be shaped aluminium that performs its job as well as the full race blades on my road bike!
REAR WEIGHT: 275g
FRONT WEIGHT: 76g

The rear rack, like the rear fender is made of a aluminium and of excellent quality
WEIGHT: 950g.

Opting for 2 batteries and 2 chargers was well worth the added cost.
WEIGHT EACH: 3586g

The front and rear lights are quite dim so can't say I'd recommend them to be honest
REAR WEIGHT: 55g
FRONT WEIGHT: 126g

The dropper post functions as expected. I've not weighed it

GRIPE
I've one gripe, when on the smallest sprocket, the chain slaps on the chain stay like no bike I've ridden before.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

Incidentally, FedEx gave me a bill for Import Duty/ VAT of £122.48

Hi,

Please don't worry. we are contacting with Alibaba to support us for handling it. as it is weekend now. we will handle it for you in coming week.

Best Regards,
Ivy Wang

Mountgreenwood said:
I’d like to share what I have been going through with Frey. I ordered two bikes an ExPro on the in early April and a CC ($3050.00 with rack lights and mud guards) for my wife in early June. The EX Pro was with a free rail shipping promotion and the CC $550 rail to Ireland. I was sent a picture of a CC prior to shipping, it looked fine. I was then contacted and told that rail shipping was problematic and asked would I agree to air shipping for an additional $100-200. I foolishly agreed. When it arrived in Cork weighing 80kg in a massive box the customs boys were less than impressed with an invoice declaring a $500 frame. Of course they opened it. The back and forth between TNT, customs, Frey and myself was exhausting. I ended up paying $671.50 in VAT which is presently 21%. The pictures I was sent showed a bike with matching brown seat and grips. The bike I received had a black seat and brown grips. In fairness Frey did refund me $471.50 for the portion of the VAT I didn’t agree to but that wouldn’t have paid minimum wage for the time it took me to sort it out. The battery was another story with multiple tracking numbers and answers but that did eventually arrive. The CC is big, heavy and comfortable but loud. I’ve packed my own bbshd with grease so I will probably have to do the same with this one so she can hear herself think.

Now onto the EX Pro.....I’ve seen photos of one but not a word of shipping. At the 203rd day of a 187 day contract I inquired about the status and was told by Cecelia that if I amended my shipping in Alibaba for “customs” to 250 days she would ship it that day. Lads I’m thick some times but not that thick.

I then was on to Ivy and was told they had just learned that day their rail shipper no longer goes to Ireland due to Covid and Brexit. I was given two options 1. Wait until the 10th of January to see if their shipper recommences service to Ireland or receive a refund of the $4180 I paid for the EX with the dropper, lights, rack and mud guards. Grace emailed me with the refund offer which is great then I applied for it via Alibaba choosing the “seller agrees to a refund.” They rejected my request while typing that they would refund me in the description box. The description box is not “live” so if I would have agreed to their rejection I was to have no recourse. So I communicated back and forth and they continued to reject the application until I “cancel the order”. That is not an option in the Alibaba drop downs I was “not care about it” and agree to their rejection. Off to escalation I go.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows which magura mt5e breaks works with the bafang motor, the higo opener or closer, they both seem to have red connectors for the motor cut-off and the bafang motor has three pin yellow connectors/plug, if anyone knows what I'm dribbling about can you please help. Thanks, Craig.

craigiet said:
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows which magura mt5e breaks works with the bafang motor, the higo opener or closer, they both seem to have red connectors for the motor cut-off and the bafang motor has three pin yellow connectors/plug, if anyone knows what I'm dribbling about can you please help. Thanks, Craig.

Ha, came here to ask this very same question. Need a replacement brake lever and there are two variations: Higo-Open, or Higo-Closed. Which version do I need for an AM1000?

Also, finding a replacement lever in North America is all-but-impossible at the moment. Even Magura USA is out of stock. But they did say the MT4e lever is identical except for a decal, so they are sending me one - just don't know if it should be Open or Closed?

Cruncher123 said:
craigiet said:

Ha, came here to ask this very same question. Need a replacement brake lever and there are two variations: Higo-Open, or Higo-Closed. Which version do I need for an AM1000?

Also, finding a replacement lever in North America is all-but-impossible at the moment. Even Magura USA is out of stock. But they did say the MT4e lever is identical except for a decal, so they are sending me one - just don't know if it should be Open or Closed?

You need the closer (NO = normal open)

You can adapt the Higo's:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85807#p1380754

GRIPE
I've one gripe, when on the smallest sprocket, the chain slaps on the chain stay like no bike I've ridden before.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

I can't remember which model you have. FWIW, we obtained 5 Frey's so far: 1 EX, 3 CC, and 1 M600, and none have chain slap that I'm aware of, even when I forget to engage the clutch on the derailleur.

The front and rear lights are quite dim so can't say I'd recommend them to be honest

I'd agree. They are useful for showing other traffic you're on the road, but we've added Fenix BC30 V2.0 (has Bluetooth wireless remote) to each bike. So far we are happy with those.

For about the last week, most of the time when I try to access this site, I get a DNS error. Checked from cell phone on data and got the same result. Anyone else experiencing this?

tsellers said:
For about the last week, most of the time when I try to access this site, I get a DNS error. Checked from cell phone on data and got the same result. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes i have been getting these errors every couple of days lately with ES.
I also sometimes get thread notification with a link that starts with http://52.25.253.50 IP address instead of the regular http://www.endless-sphere.com and if I use the link, I have to re log in, but if I replace the IP address by the site name I can get in with my saved login.

Wondering if their site is being hacked...

Yes i have been getting these errors every couple of days lately with ES.
I also sometimes get thread notification with a link that starts with http://52.25.253.50 IP address instead of the regular http://www.endless-sphere.com and if I use the link, I have to re log in, but if I replace the IP address by the site name I can getting with my saved login.

That's interesting, thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time. I also got it this time when I clicked the link, then when I tried again immediately, it worked.

HerrDoktor said:
My bateries are still showing on the UPS tracker as:
Label Created 19/09/2020 12:28 Hungary
Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Despite asking Cecilia for further information on 3 seperate instances, she's failed to provide an answer. In fact, she appears to be ignoring the question whilst answering others!
Hey there, so how long did it take for your batteries to arrive my label was created on the 10/10/2020 but still no change, getting impatient.

Mountgreenwood said:
I’d like to share what I have been going through with Frey.

Off to escalation I go.

Any updates to your saga? Seems Frey are not reliable, given they have minor [different bike seat to that shown in images] to major - a whole bike not being sent then difficulty getting a refund for a substantial $ outlay. Risky company to deal with?

NoFanBoiz said:
Mountgreenwood said:

Off to escalation I go.

Any updates to your saga? Seems Frey are not reliable, given they have minor [different bike seat to that shown in images] to major - a whole bike not being sent then difficulty getting a refund for a substantial $ outlay. Risky company to deal with?

Still waiting. I will update when the dust settles.

Mountgreenwood said:
NoFanBoiz said:
Mountgreenwood said:

Off to escalation I go.

Still waiting. I will update when the dust settles.
Good luck, I've been waiting almost 5weeks and that's just for a battery.

I'm getting the impression that the majority of problems buyers have been experiencing lately are related successfully getting the bikes and batteries built and delivered within a reasonable time frame? A friend of mine recently pointed out he is noticing a similar dynamic growing on Redit as well for imports like e-scooters, and e-motorcycles, etc.

Seems like the posts here used to follow a secular trend of focus on particular models and brands, and their strengths and weaknesses. Now however we seem to have that trend precluded and overshadowed with the light being shone on the difficulties that are affecting many before they can get to that stage.

Would this be a fair assessment?

tsellers said:
I'm getting the impression that the majority of problems buyers have been experiencing lately are related successfully getting the bikes and batteries built and delivered within a reasonable time frame? A friend of mine recently pointed out he is noticing a similar dynamic growing on Redit as well for imports like e-scooters, and e-motorcycles, etc.

Seems like the posts here used to follow a secular trend of focus on particular models and brands, and their strengths and weaknesses. Now however we seem to have that trend precluded and overshadowed with the light being shone on the difficulties that are affecting many before they can get to that stage.

Would this be a fair assessment?
Spot on, you hit the nail right on the head, not sure if its the pandemic or brexit thats messing with the flow but its definitely trying my patience, its been 4 and a bit months and im still waiting on my battery to complete my bike, I could go on and have a bit of a rant but its a long story. O well, as I'm told by Frey "please be patient".

I have to say if Frey is reading, to fix these because at this point I see it as a warning and was close to purchasing an ex pro with all the fixing, but now I'm leaning towards building one myself since why pay $5k and risk waiting half a year for something this expensive only to get an incomplete bike, or even not at all and go through an overseas company for arbitration.

Not confidence inspiring.

I ordered my AM1000 on May 15th and just received it on November 5th. So yeah, it takes 6 months to get it. :( Plus FedEx damaged it and I'm waiting on parts from Frey. Another issue I ran into tonight was it just shut down and would not turn back on. Not sure what the deal is yet. Overheated? I have two batteries and neither will turn it back on.

I often have a problem with my M600 not powering up. I've found that it usually relates the the cable connections on the display. Seems that if I unlpug them, and then plug them back in again to the display, the bike will power up.

I think the controller is fried. I took the plastic cover off on the left side and checked the connections and power is getting to the motor. I also tried connecting using the programming cable and it would not connect. Also tried an 860C display with no luck. I took the stator cover off and it smells like smoke really bad. :(

I've emailed Frey but it takes a few days for them to respond. Sucks big time...

That's for sure!

Usually the first fail in the controller is a MOSFET. They are not that hard to replace once you've been able to diagnose. I know there's some folks have had them apart in here, hopefully they can help and get you back riding while you wait for parts from offshore.

Well, well, well, so I just received my bill this morning from FedEx, I was shocked to say the least.
Now before I accepted Air delivery I went back n forth with Grace on how much I would actually get charged, I was a bit dubious hearing horror stories about anti dumping tax and such, she assured me 100/200 USD, I was fine with that.
Well I seem to be in a bit of a horror story right now.....................841 USD, Which is 640 Gbp, I had a cold chill as I read the invoice.
I shall get intouch with Grace tonight and see if frey shall rectify this one, wish me luck I've not had much of it thus far, I will update with the outcome. C

P.s. still not received my battery

Back