Trials Motorcycle - 1st Build. Qs-motor +Votol

DanGT86 said:
Don't totally discount the idea of a BMS. A lot of times you start out with an ambitious goal of building a complex wiring setup and by the time you buy all the little adapters and connectors you end up at the same dollar amount than if you had just started with a BMS.

Yes, you continue to make valid points. I have been looking into BMS but again it mostly out of my understanding; but can now at least apply the knowledge I've been learning on how it relates to the balance leads, I also understand the difference between the LVA and BMS.

Would a BMS be sort of a one stop solution for my setup? Or would this be in addition to fuse, pre-charge (if I go this route) and Connector/Relay? I've found a 200A Connector + Fuse for about $60 due to wanting 200A Connector. Plus now looking at pre charge piece you mentioned for another $50 or so.

I see some 200a BMS that around around $120 -would that be all I need, just run my balance leads and this then becomes the main switch to the bike?

Will most likely go the route of Rynhardt's Oset as that seems to fit my needs for the time being, but if the cost is close for less pieces and offers some additional security; it may be worth researching more.

Photo is just for some color to my post. I'd be looking at a 200A with 20S minimum. Prob. be fine with 150. :)

Deligreen-20S-80A-100A-120A-150A-200A-250A-72V-BMS-for-Li-PO-LiNCM-battery-18650.jpg

Now here is a piece I can use right now. :) Love how fast Trials Super Store ships stuff.
My current kill switch is a nightmare, this will go on tomorrow morning.

jitsie.jpg

BMS is like a tiny balance charger that stays connected all the time. It offers the protection of LV alarms because it will cut the main power off if any one cell has problems. They offer high V protection At the individual cell level while charging as well They generally offer short circuit protection like a fuse because they have a max total amp limit.

You would hook all the balance leads to the bms and charge with a bulk charger at the 2 main leads.

BMS does nothing for you in terms of precharge. You still need that to keep your connectors healthy.

It also doesnt hurt to have a balance charger and some of those LVC alarms so you can watch the individual cell voltages to make sure you understand and trust the BMS.

I learned more about batteries in the first couple of hours using a balance charger than I had in 6 months with a bulk charger and BMS. With all the balance leads and modular nature of Lipo batts its a very interactive way to learn the general idea of pack behavior.

So what I am saying is if you already bought the balance charger and balance lead Y adapters then use them and get to know your pack. They are great to have as diagnostic and maintenance tools even with a BMS.

One drawback to the BMS is that any event that triggers it is going to be a hard cut off. So it would be like someone unplugging the pack. This could be dangerous if you were about to jump a gap or were halfway up a hill climb. There are ways around that. Some people use the BMS while charging but wire around it for discharging so they get the balancing and monitoring features but not the hard cutoff.

Not trying to dissuade you from getting a BMS, but it's something you can always add later.
It'll save you from swopping the 3 main leads and 3 balance leads each time you want to charge, which is perhaps a minute of your time.

The fuse, contactor and pre-charge circuit is something you're going to build once and forget about it. Unless something bad happens, of course :shock: but that's fairly unlikely if everything is built with some prudence.

Hi Folks - I'm still alive and project is still moving forward. Hit a snag and had to hit the pause button for a bit. Nerve damage had gotten pretty bad, and it came with a 6 week break. No typing, no computer mouse. No nothing. :( I am right handed by the way.

thumbnail_20201015_095930.jpg
thumbnail_20201026_091230.jpg

I of course could still use my mind. :)

Got the 3d model to spec from QS Motor (Great company btw). I wrote them an email; explained what I was doing and asked for a 3d step file. Some paperwork was involved in order to get the file, but it was worth it. LOL. Had to fix my 3d printer, which was a challenge since my digits don't work so good, but managed to make a 1 hour job a 3 hour job. Feels good to be back into creating...

So what does one do after their printer is "maybe" fixed. Run a 50 hour print the full capacity of your printer of course. 220x220x300 is the print. Since my motor won't come till December sometime, I figured a plastic one for mocking will do just fine. **(Mock motor will be for sale in late December, if anyone has a need. I'll be printing a couple as I've gotten some requests already. )

Start of the print to show you folks today, but also working on the 3d model of my bike frame (to scale) and battery box. All slow going of course. But progress is progress..

thumbnail_20201108_065137.jpg

17% complete at 13 hours. LOL
thumbnail_20201108_065625.jpg

And lastly a quick sample of the 3d model of the motor.
[youtube]cQb-Er77bus[/youtube]

PS - It took WAAAAYY too long to type all that. Progress.

Hello , following with interest and learning a lot, question about the motor/gearbox, you have a link? have you received it?
i can find it as a pre order for 8600 euros!

frazer

Yes I have received it just yesterday. Ive purchased a few from qs motor and they are great to work with. The link provided gives Vitos contact details. He and his team were fast to respond and the motor is of VERY HIGH quality. Ill post up some pics and vids later today.

j bjork said:
It will be interesting to get more info about the motor :thumb:
Maybe you can post in the qs 138 thread too?

It would be interesting to see what size the gears are and things like that.

I most certainly will. I plan to do some photos and videos over the holiday break and will post to the qs thread! Love these QS motors. And the company has been super easy to work with.

Hi Folks , i 'm new in that forum but interested in making a trial bike electric conversion .Gbeals how is your project running? How is the new geared motor working?Regards to all!!

Hello Gbeals,how your arm and project are running ?Just ordered this new QS gear reduction motor and a Votol150 !!!Hope you can give me soon some tips !!Take care !

Hey hope you bether. Hows the project going? I love that magnet kill switch , is NC or NO when magnet in? Trying to figure out the wiring.

Back