Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

You missed the important page, 1. Where you set up the throttle. Is your high and low protection set up right? Low and high enough to not trigger a fault. And is your voltage start and end correct for your throttle? Not to low, so the start voltage of your throttle is higher than the value you set in the controller for example.

Irling said:
I have an EM100C (72350) controller, unfortunately I can't set it up to work well with my Surron bike motor (5 pair). At low revs, it works well, but as the accelerator increases, the current rises, the revs drop, the rotor starts to heat up. I have tried changing the degrees of the halls, however, it is not possible to achieve stable operation at high speeds with little current consumption. Perhaps you have thoughts what the problem is? I recorded a short video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9npHtn9VDQ

https://youtu.be/cvhxLJC7oSQ?t=40 Another video how the controller works with a Chinese motor, please help me what to do? Why does the engine run intermittently? Changing the Hall Angle Doesn't Help

My electric motorcycle is QS205 hub motor 2000w 72v, votol em100 and 20S9P battery.

When I’ve tested the motorcycle on a static stand, I’ve put it on full throttle when accidentally activate the cut off switch for the main contactor. The system shutdown immediately. But when i’ve tried to switch the system on again there is a dead short between the positive and negative input on the votol em100.

What do you think went wrong? Can the controller be repaired?

Turn the motor by hand, if it turns as locked, it means that some mosfets to the controller were burst, it happened to me with a votol em150s controller I had to replace 4 mosfets

Today I managed to measure the current on my surron motor, Votol em100s controller. the maximum battery current was 48 amperes, and the phase current was -197 amperes. this is significantly lower than I expected. the settings are set to the maximum current, but the speed is limited to 25 percent. what else do you think can limit the current? on the original surron controller I got 90 battery current and 290 phase.

Sorry for the double post...
Hi guys. Thank you so much for all the info that helped me to build my electric motorcycle.

My electric motorcycle is QS205 hub motor 2000W 72V with Votol em100. My battery is 20S9P from recycled laptopn battery with 45A bms. I’m using a contactor that Is connected to a switch in the handle bar.

The problem is when I’ve teated the setup on a stand, I was on full throttle when I accidentally press the contactor cut off switch. After that the Votol EM100 had a dead short.

What do you think went wrong? I’ve tested the positive and negative lead in the controller, they have a dead short. Can the controller be repaired?

Thank you for your help.

Miguel Angel said:
Turn the motor by hand, if it turns as locked, it means that some mosfets to the controller were burst, it happened to me with a votol em150s controller I had to replace 4 mosfets

Thank you so much for your reply.

Hi, I would like to ask if anyone have firmware for the Votol EM-150 controller? I needed to replace the processor in controller and now I need to reprogram it.

Thank you, Zdenek.

DidaJI said:
Hi, I would like to ask if anyone have firmware for the Votol EM-150 controller? I needed to replace the processor in controller and now I need to reprogram it.

Thank you, Zdenek.

I have the firmware from qs motor salesman. Pm me you email and I will send it to you.

Have anyone ever use the reverse function in votol em100? It doesn’t work in my controller. Does anyone know how to make it work?

Hello everyone, I have an electric scooter and I'm mounting an em150sp votol controller with qs 138 90h motor. Can anyone help me on some doubts about cable connections and the choice of suitable circuit breakers and fuses?
Is correct the wiring schede of precharger and of other all? Where i connect the High and low brake wires? And what Is the difference between elock and One Key repair?

121334687_818716858670317_378353238297967293_n.jpg

121490394_825271624968520_2750224593250658719_n.jpg

Now I would like to ask which Circuit Breaker to choose for my scooter. The Votol EM150SP controller has 150A continuous and 200A peak. I will also use an ANL 80V fuse (150 or 200A ??), the breaker I only need to disconnect the battery. What resistor do you recommend to put on the contactor for Precharge? The anderson connector must be a right 350A (175A seems like little to me) ?? How is 0 AWG (50mmq) or 00 AWG (70mmq) OFC wiring good?

I use a battery lithium 20S 72V 60Ah with BMS common port (Charge/Discharge) of 150A continuous / 300A peak.

is this scheme correct? thanks

1605268649257.jpg

This is my thread
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=102517&p=1597254#p1597254

If you have both a contactor on the positive and a bms on the negative, why do you want a switch on the positive too?
Everything you add will give some voltage drop, and a possible fault source.
If you want an extra switch, I would put it in series with the ignition switch. Then it wont give voltage drop in the hv circuit, and dont have to carry much current.
Do you have a 12v battery? In that case I would use a 12v contactor, and not run hv to the ignition switch.

Is there a reason why you connect the 12v negative to hv negative? I like to keep hv as isolated from lv as possible. You cant really keep it as isolated as I would like, because the controller negative to sensors is not isolated from hv negative.
If you want to use the brake light to trigger regen on brake high you have to connect lv and hv negative like in your drawing.

Hi, no I don't have a 12v battery but I use a 72v-12V10A DC-DC converter. In the drawing I wrote wrong, the negative 12v connected to the negative 72v on the controller is intended as a negative hv cable that goes towards the DC-DC. The same for the positive. They are two separate circuits with separate earths (all isolated from the frame, even the 12v earth).
Here is a drawing. it's correct?

1605295718981.jpg

I would like a switch (or contactor) to be able to completely exclude the battery. To avoid disconnecting the anderson 350A connector every time, otherwise the precharger resistor draws current even when I'm not using the scooter.

is the scheme for regenerative function (high brake) correct?

1605296735172.jpg

if "high brake" is the brake, what is low brake?

j bjork said:
I am using it without problems on my em 150sp. I dont remember if I had to do anything, possibly enable it in the I/O. (and ground the wire I suppose) I have posted my settings somewhere in the last few pages I think.

I had wired the switch to connect reverse to ground. But still it is not working. Let try to find your post.

Thank you

I'be been driving my setup a bit but the motor sometimes vibrates a bit... It feels like it's holding back and then suddenly gets it's power and hauls ass. I can't get it on video, it's more something that you feel than hear.

Do others have similar experiences or what could be causing this?

I am new to using the Votol em-100 controller. I would like to know if it can only be used with a QS motor. Thanks

ycampo6 said:
I am new to using the Votol em-100 controller. I would like to know if it can only be used with a QS motor. Thanks

Yes it can be used with QS hub motor or mid drive motor, please read many post here as a setting reference...

GianlucaO said:
if "high brake" is the brake, what is low brake?

High brake is activated with 12v, low with ground. Your drawing would probably work if you connect low brake instead of high.(and set up the controller for it)

As you have drawn it it would activate the brake when you are not braking, because it would feed 12v trough the light bulb. When you use the brake it grounds, and deactivate the regen.
But as you now have separated the hv and 12v negative, the controller would not "see" the 12v at all. So actually nothing would happen if you connect the brake high the way you have drawn it.

I dont understand why you would have the pre charge always connected? That way you cant really turn off the hv. But this is getting very ot. I suggest you start another thread about your wiring, or maybe there are other wiring threads where you can find answers or ask questions

My votol em30s status in display is overcurrent, i cannot spinning my motor... what happend om my Votol? thanks guys ... ill appreciate it

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-20 154247.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-20 154247.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,960
I want to share how to get throttle release regen activated. So that if you release the throttle, the regen is activated.

The setting is on the PD15
01E86E6D-1D01-4F29-ADBF-865D613143E4.jpeg

And also on page 1
Rate of rise and rate of decline
View attachment 1

Feel free to experiment...

Attachments

• 84D6AE26-667F-4DF9-9311-411F8F1AE2AA.jpeg
    84D6AE26-667F-4DF9-9311-411F8F1AE2AA.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,966
Hhc & hdc have nothing to do with regen.
Hhc is hill climb assist or hill height control in chinglish 🤣. Basically it will lock the motor forward only to help the bike not go back down accidentally while climbing slopes.
Hdc is supposed to be hill descent control but apparently it isnt working as intended. Right now, It will hold the rpm of the motor. So if you put in a value of 400 with em100, you will not achieve max rpm because the hdc value is too low. For em100 the value needs to be around 1600 to 2000. Also you cannot untick hdc. If you disable hdc, the speed switch will not work. Ie, speed 1 to 3 will be the same result.

Now, for the throttle regen, after you set the port to the post above this, you will need to enter a value 0-200 to the rate of decline in page 1. This will determine how hard the engine braking is. A bit of warning, do not use value above 150 or it will lock up the motor when you throttle down.
Throttle regen only works if your bike is on speed of 25 km/h and above. After it dips below 20kph, the engine braking is automatically off.
Also be mindfull of your overvoltage protection value. In my test, the rate of decline of 100 is making +1.5v to 2v higher than the current battery voltage. So if your battery is on full charge, say 84v, if you do throttle regen, it will spike up to 86v or more.

Robobit said:
Hhc & hdc have nothing to do with regen.
Hhc is hill climb assist or hill height control in chinglish 🤣. Basically it will lock the motor forward only to help the bike not go back down accidentally while climbing slopes.
Hdc is supposed to be hill descent control but apparently it isnt working as intended. Right now, It will hold the rpm of the motor. So if you put in a value of 400 with em100, you will not achieve max rpm because the hdc value is too low. For em100 the value needs to be around 1600 to 2000. Also you cannot untick hdc. If you disable hdc, the speed switch will not work. Ie, speed 1 to 3 will be the same result.

Now, for the throttle regen, after you set the port to the post above this, you will need to enter a value 0-200 to the rate of decline in page 1. This will determine how hard the engine braking is. A bit of warning, do not use value above 150 or it will lock up the motor when you throttle down.
Throttle regen only works if your bike is on speed of 25 km/h and above. After it dips below 20kph, the engine braking is automatically off.
Also be mindfull of your overvoltage protection value. In my test, the rate of decline of 100 is making +1.5v to 2v higher than the current battery voltage. So if your battery is on full charge, say 84v, if you do throttle regen, it will spike up to 86v or more.

Thanks, hdc seems to work just as an rpm limit. The number you set is the max rpm you will get. Thats how it is for me at least. I guess that is what you are saying too, I just wanted to clarify.

For me it dosent stop braking at speed, it goes all the way to 0 or close to at least. But it dosent seem to make any difference what I set in rate of decline, I get a rather weak braking and around 20-25A
I started with 255, tried 25 and 150.

chronosgarage said:
I want to share how to get throttle release regen activated. So that if you release the throttle, the regen is activated.

Thanks, what are your findings when you play with the settings?

j bjork said:
Thanks, hdc seems to work just as an rpm limit. The number you set is the max rpm you will get. Thats how it is for me at least. I guess that is what you are saying too, I just wanted to clarify.

For me it dosent stop braking at speed, it goes all the way to 0 or close to at least. But it dosent seem to make any difference what I set in rate of decline, I get a rather weak braking and around 20-25A
I started with 255, tried 25 and 150.

chronosgarage said:

Thanks, what are your findings when you play with the settings?

Thats weird. Did you tick the sw in pd15? Try change the rate of decline to 100. Your votol is em150, isnt it? It might be different from my em100.
The port settings on em200 are also different than em100. I have tried the em200 port setting which 100% work for them but when I use them, my speed switch didnt work and it locked on reverse mode.
This is my short test on throttle regen.. I didnt use any brake, just throttle. Note the speed and battery voltage when throttle down.
https://youtu.be/P1iv_rTJofI

I have a em150sp and a qs 138 70h mid motor.
It seems to me that what is needed to get it to work is to click SW and LA and set function 19 in PD15.
If IO is on or off dosent seem to matter, I dont think F, U or D maters ither. But I am not totally sure about them.
Because I noticed that after I have activated the function it dosent matter if I turn it off and hit "write param". It is still on until I turn the controller on/off.

I have tried a bunch of settings in "rate of decline" 1, 25, 100, 150, 170, 200, 255. It dosent seem to make a difference in how hard it brakes with throttle off, but it sure effect the regen with a button. On low settings it just pulses a little at first, and gets a little stronger after a while.

This is my settings:

pUTSsSQ.jpg

ShuG1zc.jpg

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/IRQtJ1T.jpg)

DlCFErT.jpg

I basically only use sport mode, but I have high and reverse too.
I cant tell you if there is a problem with the 3 speed switch when the HDC is off, I have never used the 3 speed.

Back