E-S LMX 64 Bike Owners

Joe said:
madin88 said:
Joe said:
I want a 16 tooth pulley for my belt drive. My motor has never over heated, my motor has never struggled, my rear pulley shows no wear. It‘s always the front. bigger pulley please.

The motor you have is it with 30mm stator or 40mm?

I have the 30mm stator. I would change to the 40mm if I had too.

How can we tell if we have a 30mm or 40mm stator from the outside?

Cowardlyduck said:
Well I hope there's enough interest. Just committed nearly 1k AUD for 15 of them.

I'm not a fan of varying postage costs based on location, so will see what I can do, but at a guess a flat rate of $25 postage is probably what I will have to settle on.

Cheers
I would Be interested ounce my belt kit arrives.

I might also be interested in a 15t belt sprocket even though i have not yet ordered the belt drive.
Will the standard 14t belt sprocket be comparable to the 12t chain sprocket i currently use?
If so, will the new 15t belt sprocket be comparable to the 14t chain sprocket my 64 came deleverd with?

I must say i prefer the ratio of the 12t chain sprocket as it gives me better torque when climbing and still 48km/h top speed.
But it seems obvious that the 15t belt sprocket is better for durability and higher top speed.

I won't take orders till I have them on hand, but about 10 are accounted for so far.

The main reason I went with 15T is for durability while still being able to keep using the existing chain, tensioner and sprocket cover. I tested this previously with a 3D printed version:
DSC_5993.JPG
DSC_5994.JPG
I even briefly rode it, forgetting I didn't add a keyway...last about 3 meters. :lol:

Cheers

Just wanted to share some pics of my new bike during its maiden ride this weekend in Massachusetts, USA.

After a month and a half waiting for my frame kit to arrive I had to wait a few days longer to get a replacement derailleur hanger sent from LMX after the orginal was smashed in transit. Thanks to Zoe and team for expediting that.

Bike is fitted with the HP belt drive. The RH drivetrain is SRAM GX 11sp with a 11-42 cassette.

Forks are Rockshox Zeb select 180mm travel, I've fitted the optional short fender which is a nice zip tie free solution.
Rear shock is a Cane creek DB IL 200x57 with 550-610lb progressive spring.

Brakes are Magura MT5. I've fitted a Supernova M99 pro front light which just hooks up to battery voltage and the high beam switch integrates with the Magura brake lever clamp. The light is amazing!

I fitted the Transx dropper post but I disliked the cheap lever and it did not return every time. I swapped this out for a Wolfs tooth lever which has a sealed bearing and works really smoothly.

Tires are tubeless 2.6 with Maxxis DHF on the front and DHR on the rear.

Only 2 rides so far on the bike and I am really enjoying it. I like mode 2 the best so far as it seems to give a natural feeling boost and suits the tight technical trails I'm riding. One slight disappointment is the slight lag on the assist between pedal input and response from the motor. This is not an issue in normal riding but it's noticable trying to pull wheelies. The motor just doesn't respond quickly enough to help get the front wheel up. In modes 4 and 5 you can use the throttle to pull wheelies pretty easily but I was hoping to be able to do them with pedal assistance.

Attachments

• 20201114_071759.jpg
    20201114_071759.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 922
  • 20201114_071820.jpg
    20201114_071820.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 922
  • 20201114_071804.jpg
    20201114_071804.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 922
Cowardlyduck said:
I won't take orders till I have them on hand, but about 10 are accounted for so far.

The main reason I went with 15T is for durability while still being able to keep using the existing chain, tensioner and sprocket cover. I tested this previously with a 3D printed version:
DSC_5993.JPG
DSC_5994.JPG
I even briefly rode it, forgetting I didn't add a keyway...last about 3 meters. :lol:

Cheers
nice work done.

hut8 said:
Just wanted to share some pics of my new bike during its maiden ride this weekend in Massachusetts, USA.

Welcome aboard hut8. Nice looking 64 you got there.

My bike is on it's way back to France for some warranty stuff, the controller gave up after 1,5 year, it's one of the pre-production models with the Nucular components. While it's back with LMX, I will upgrade to the newer Silixcon controller and display. It's gonna be a long and boring time without it. Guess I have to start trail running in the meantime :p

Is your 64 the first to be shipped to the US?

hkj said:
it's one of the pre-production models with the Nucular components. While it's back with LMX, I will upgrade to the newer Silixcon controller and display.

I thought the current controller on the LMX-64 was the Nucular, are you saying the standard current controller on the LMX is a Silixcon (which model)?

hkj said:
hut8 said:

My bike is on it's way back to France for some warranty stuff, the controller gave up after 1,5 year, it's one of the pre-production models with the Nucular components. While it's back with LMX, I will upgrade to the newer Silixcon controller and display. It's gonna be a long and boring time without it. Guess I have to start trail running in the meantime :p

i'm not fan of the silixcon controller you can not fine tune without PC and the display is just from Chinese factory standard 750C BAFANG display, silixcon has not a display by themselves ,with the nucular you can fine tune while driving your bike, I like it when I'm riding on a singel track that i can fine tune in real time For best pas timing programming pas upscale in every mode,pas time out timing programming, i did lots of testing with different settings and is amazing how the new design nucular 2.4 performs.

and if there is something wrong you can go to status flags there you can see whats wrong , and also data log file to check your data on pc if there is a problem , you can also use data log for fine tuning results.
silixon is also to expensive for what it is.

Yes, LMX changed the standard controller from Nucular to Silixcon SC controller, and the display along with it.
https://silixcon.com/sc-controller-series/
I will do the controller and belt upgrade this winter.

The Silixcon controller looks way more professional than the Nucular, and regarding the Chinese factory standard display, the Nucular display does not feel much better. You can see the trace from the 3d printed and molded buttons and the housing is not very solid nor water proof. Firmware update is a pain and so is the menu layout. So i have no concerns going from a Russian to Chinese display.
LMX, says:
The torque sensing is much more precise and tunable with those new controllers, and the 5 modes allows more flexibility in the different modes tuning.
That will be a great update to your bike and you will really feel the difference if you like riding with the PAS/torque more than the throttle.

Obviously many likes tinkering with the PAS setting, but myself prefers that LMX tunes the controller as best they can, and continuous to deliver new firmwares with all the preferred settings.

TorEddy said:
LMX, says:
The torque sensing is much more precise and tunable with those new controllers, and the 5 modes allows more flexibility in the different modes tuning.
That will be a great update to your bike and you will really feel the difference if you like riding with the PAS/torque more than the throttle.

Thank you TorEddy
Is there a specific place where LMX gave a full pros cons of the new controller over the Nucular?

TorEddy said:
Yes, LMX changed the standard controller from Nucular to Silixcon SC controller, and the display along with it.
https://silixcon.com/sc-controller-series/
I will do the controller and belt upgrade this winter.

The Silixcon controller looks way more professional than the Nucular, and regarding the Chinese factory standard display, the Nucular display does not feel much better. You can see the trace from the 3d printed and molded buttons and the housing is not very solid nor water proof. Firmware update is a pain and so is the menu layout. So i have no concerns going from a Russian to Chinese display.
LMX, says:

Obviously many likes tinkering with the PAS setting, but myself prefers that LMX tunes the controller as best they can, and continuous to deliver new firmwares with all the preferred settings.
silixon upgrade nhaa without realtime tuning and good display big downgrade, belt kit wil be a big upgrade wil do that in the future.

hkj said:
hut8 said:

Thanks!

I think there is probably a few other 64s in the US, I saw that someone was reselling one in NY recently.

Yeah it's tough to do without your bike for long. Hopefully they turn it around quickly for you.

I don't really have any issues with the display. Its mounting is pretty neat and the color display and graphics design is nice. Looks like you can get replacements cheaply too if it breaks. If I had a choice I would go for a smaller display, I dont need much more info than the battery level and PAS mode. For the trail riding that I do, I don't need to know (or have a chance to acknowledge) speed or watts. I appreciate that other people do like to have this info though, especially for road riding.

hut8 said:
I don't really have any issues with the display. Its mounting is pretty neat and the color display and graphics design is nice. Looks like you can get replacements cheaply too if it breaks. If I had a choice I would go for a smaller display, I dont need much more info than the battery level and PAS mode. For the trail riding that I do, I don't need to know (or have a chance to acknowledge) speed or watts. I appreciate that other people do like to have this info though, especially for road riding.

Yeah same here, I think Shimano nailed it with their minimized display:

184010-00-d-336728.jpg

It's also not that prone to damage due to the size and that it's tucked away underneath the handlebar, and not on top of it.

scrambler said:
TorEddy said:
LMX, says:

Thank you TorEddy
Is there a specific place where LMX gave a full pros cons of the new controller over the Nucular?

I have asked LMX for this without ever getting a proper answer.

Regarding the display, i totally agree that a smaller display would be nice and that Shimano nailed it with its small display.

Had few issues with nucular, pas never really worked as we needed, now with the latest update on the silixcon there is both torque and human what as input and it works as it should. We have USB connection, server backed firmware versions, actual hardware ID for each controller, EU supplier with knowlagable service people I can reach on the phone when I need some info.

On the nucular we also had issues where the onboard DCDC would mess with the torque sensor and cause it to output 4.4 volts for a few miliseconds. We had to add a digital filter to prevent this from being dangerous.

We had a lot of issues with water, both in the display and in the controller. The controller plugs (ph2.0) would always come loose or break, and are absolutely not waterproof. We broke and our customers broke too many screens due to the middle mount point and large size.

They are great for tuneability and I totally get why they are such a huge hit in ES community. But it's not an industrial solution, as each controller had to be programmed individually (making they a nightmare for warranty cases). Also the export/import features not really working well, and making an auto ID being required for every bike. Over the time, vasilly added a lot of features we had been requesting, such as neutral mode, 123-321 mode switching via +/- handlebar switch, instant torque PAS, and so on, but the work needed to homologate bikes using Nuculars was just too much. We also had trouble to actually get them delivered as our volume really increased a lot in 2019/2020.

On the hardware side the Silixcon are 24 mos and fully potted in a CNC alu case.
We did not have a single issue with Silixcon exepted some obvious shorts or wiring issues.
The control software is also slightly better on the silixcon, as we spent 3 days with their engineers to tune it for our motors.
For homologation they have locking and different acces levels required to prevent user manipulations.
Silixcon users with a 2020 bike or updtaed 2019 bike, you may send me an email to update to the latest firmware, huge difference in feel if you like to spin your cranks fast.

Adam

Yeah thanks Adam. What you say there makes sense. Reminds me of how my early model Stealth Fighter came with a Cycle Analyst back in 2011.
I'm still glad I got the Nuc as I like to tinker.
Sounds like I should do some water proofing though. The obvious ones are some silicone around the seals and a hydrophobic coating on the electronics. Any other suggestions for those of us still with Nucular's who want to keep them running?

Cheers

scrambler said:
Incorporating a Pinion C1.9XR in the LMX Frame

I initially thought this would be major, but decided to have a look anyway :)

Of course my model of the Frame is approximate as it is deducted from a series of pictures, and I do not know the details of the swing arm and motor to validate interference down there. But using a 3D model of the gearbox, it actually looks like the gearbox fits inside the two frame plates, which means we could attach it by running long screws and spacers across both plates.

If that does not interfere with any of the motor and swing arm (which I don’t have any info to model), it would mean only cutting a part of the bottom left side, welding some extension plates at the bottom and on the right side to receive the mounting holes, and probably reinforcing the frame by welding a junction plate between the two sides and above the gearbox mounts.

Using the existing bottom bracket tube and a template one could precisely mark the mounting holes and cutting profile, and would just need to manufacture spacer tubes to put between the sides and the gearbox, as well as between the gearbox mounts. Minimum welding would be involved, and precision could be fairly easy to achieve.

Using the Pinion Fat Bike Spider and cranks, we could actually match the existing chain line.

Just a dream, but I thought it was interesting :)

Of course as I mentioned before, then comes the issue of the torque sensor...
There use to be one called the BEAMTS that fits on the top of the pedaling chain but it does not seem to be available any longer. May be a rear dropout one like the TMM4 would work, I also heard of Chain Ring Torque sensors, but do not know if they can be fitted on any system.

Anyway, here are the CAD drawings

y4mXVHaLR8IuusMza_EZPm0nNw1kTuXkUGORLwhNA5QgyT41ntk9cxCVXVWfX2BWjWZ8htqYhqOFcFwG5hgwSr5ijI-WEUhBntxQErQp_YNmZa_0sWIvpS9eOZYKyZmcSkT6776pFf6dPd9zqGXT84XWV7pPdSTz_8zxXtj_0n4srER6LJaGKftGW1On1D2NQWp

y4mSAQyZrVA0PwkoDAgk7fsLw2ney0_W0BDyyjUaBXtBhdHSZCEVe1Vp-F2i2z-Kro2gQZv_T6sSDqnRQClENH_bVh1u1zADrrMXBYF3wOk3mydceuaazueWHFGggwcj-gcPy9SDShSL35I4TolY2NHp5eT3c7q9QbjSu9XYCWFHxvBcsK4OjJ4OJejXd5EojxP

y4mTNkd8fQ0auW5U0R4hY9L66IpFjTPZhzDH2AUw1JzsP1MghNkyFkc-9KLNYSLecEmQtV7tydi22UeTEaDD-xhCbR6TAq-IZz40Jlm1yVVOKXOpyMWns6jRdp89k7AN1Pqq0Dh05Qy6sx4BiT8bMw4-tr_lPGh3xFR1yv82yLVxzJrfRgPt3ONnqLD0ZABOxJ_

y4mllKyirG0QZGtpAeEmzF0hn5siCV1umNNm0h6HSSux29j0RqyE9nLpoejMIn9DtUj1ndgSL_BBDbsBkoiJ6xy3GDCcIIrZbtaBGuUKvFWa_FxoH91RaCZ_XsAI8Y6KXKFo64LI1Gh2eVk1COlHfsTghemgW0av0mWgfarV3oB03i0MK3o56ZxiH2omiNeOnQE

y4maqtVsCtclTmHBrQKH8wJ-V_3jjVlqYbPT5AikL31fKtYUevf8ThQhDgL-iHNFnGhayRbx4HCkQti9EkAlWfhIZP2bqcIpjdhbEH8UVKsWIx3SnKR_QFoa8Z4fPO5XLn4ZBP1L9wDooOaCH9y38znDXsHhNC_GkH8Ic3SwfhNSabzJH0rUZX0NMA7jZiwyV24

y4m0U2FA7zyFtVyEe3gBsalx7uYi8wc_SSAqEy6mGlsQ_RAas73lrDH06WJDR_CR1be9LlU-0VXs2wNGIK58k9IvyhD-lQVRk-skF3FTYy8KMeLlpun-juNM6F7LZuTQ3P7tl5IdCZwRgchpT0PwQETPoU-3eVASEZzkEkzUyWQpnHGFr-xkNWG5gjTIhr4kYMS

y4mkEAk_ZRLRqgymGEKie14B1R2fsXXWHyds1RcGb6vpfRKyO7Txb-gUWbN7OaK-qHluIfZXt-5lJQHwuMPtyv9ofMkf3f3-x89w1-IZWH-6ENRGaNxwVT0o6IZfSySz_KH-HAg496e5-OW5D3dOXPAS1IoHRlEkXffKK9A7FBw7dBkLpPMN1Dy5MzCjQVSCbkn

Online LMX folder
https://1drv.ms/u/s!At3vMAQjaOZLknFVeh7KzoAENbW3?e=G6scG1

The interesting thing about the pinion drive is that executed correctly you could run just one chainline and drop a whole lot of weight.
You would need a fairly high primary drive reduction to make it work and also a freewheel at the cranks as is common on a Cyclone/CYC setup.
You would probably also be operating mostly in the mid to upper gears with the lowest being used strictly for non powered riding.

The possibilities are pretty fantastic however and I think this is the future for higher power ebikes.

Grantmac said:
The interesting thing about the pinion drive is that executed correctly you could run just one chainline and drop a whole lot of weight.
You would need a fairly high primary drive reduction to make it work and also a freewheel at the cranks as is common on a Cyclone/CYC setup.
You would probably also be operating mostly in the mid to upper gears with the lowest being used strictly for non powered riding.

The possibilities are pretty fantastic however and I think this is the future for higher power ebikes.

If you mean make the pedaling chainline between the pinion and the motor, yes indeed, and it is what the Neematic had done.
NEEMATIC1-Print5-768x546.jpg

Alas UBCO the new owner abandoned the pedaling side :(

Similar yes.

The Neematic is far too heavy for pedals to be useful anyway. The LMX is right on the edge of that category too.

Grantmac said:
Similar yes.

The Neematic is far too heavy for pedals to be useful anyway. The LMX is right on the edge of that category too.

People who rode the bike with the pedal assist actually said otherwise :)
With torque sensing PAS well tuned, you overcome the weight in a natural fashion...

Back