Affordable controllers 2020 (for QS205 5T)

Sparfuchs

1 kW
Hello EV friends,
i'm really struggeling to make a decision on what controller i should buy because it seems like there are too many different options and opinions :mrgreen:
At first - i'm looking for a controller below 500 USD for a QS205 (5T planed for now) in a 18 inch motorbike rim with hub sinks and ferrofluid if essential. Most important for me is the acceleration when driving off. I'm willing to build a batterie pack thats suits ideal for my needs if necessary but don't want it to get too heavy. At the moment i have a 20s6p (72v,21ah) pack with 35e samsung cells and would like to use that for a while bevore i built a new one.

Does someone has any recommendations or could someone share a link where some options are compared ?

What do you think of a unlocked sabvoton 72150 ? They are quite cheep compared with others and there are many informations to get because they are quite common. But what are the disadvantages?

Thanks a lot for helping a newbie ;)

Most QS motors are designed to work with Kelly controllers, so usually is just plug and play. And the Kelly controllers have enough programming parameters to fit most uses.
As per my experience they work great and the relation price/quality is good.

Sabvoton 72150 better acceleration compared to kelly 72300
Both controllers are simple to configure compared to some expensive complicated ones.
if you get 5t it will be good acceleration. Even your small weak battery will be usable at the beginning.
If want best seek for Nucualar russian or BAC american or european controller. Three times expensier than two before mentioned. Somewhat more complicated too. Have advantages including my mentioned better implemented field weakening feature. They don't just cost more, they are actually better devices, but it is not necessarily you need that better at the moment.

Look at these controller similarly like to music amplifiers. They all do the job, but expensive ones do it better. Expensier ones not just sound better but have various additional features too.
Nevertheless Kelly and sabvoton is like a glove for the motor.
With Nucular and BAC you can run mid drive motors so they are not just better but also universal. With kelly and sabvoton you can run also some mid drive motors but with some limitations.

Thanks for your answers :)
I know that there are much better controllers out there than kelly or sabvoton.. but its my first e bike projekt and i want to get some more experience before i afford high end components. So for now i think sabvoton would be the best idea if there is no better option for a simmilar price ?
Is there any disadvantage if i buy a unlocked one (exept that there is no warranty) ?

Overall there are no many to choose from. Sabvoton is ok. Would not suggest anything else for the price unless it would not fit (because of size). It is designed to work up to 150a 350a, but unlocked and set to 200a 400a phase it might have shorter service life but better dynamic. Locked or unlocked will make fun ride.

Yes, Sabvoton can be a good option as well, and QS motors are well fitted as well.
I have not use them mostly because on most of my projects weight and size is important issue. And they are usually heavier and bulkier when I compared them.

What do you think or know about apt controllers ?
They have quiete affordable controllers. For example the 96v (max 114v) and 600 phase amps controller apt96600 for 500 USD.
P.s: if i take such a strong controller i'd get less than 5T winding ;)

Product Size: 346mm*148mm*76mm Net Weight: 5.9kg
It is huge piece of equipment. It is good for moped or motorcycle.

It would be better match with very fast winding of qs205 3kw (for example 17kv) or better match with qs273 4kw - qs273 8kw.

minde28383 said:
Product Size: 346mm*148mm*76mm Net Weight: 5.9kg
It is huge piece of equipment. It is good for moped or motorcycle.

It would be better match with very fast winding of qs205 3kw (for example 17kv) or better match with qs273 4kw - qs273 8kw.

But do you know how the quallity is ? And do they have a userfriendly software ?

yes, software is user friendly. They are ok for hub motors. If you put it in some light scooter with powerful hub motor (at least 3kw) and couple with high discharge battery than it is very fun machine.

minde28383 said:
yes, software is user friendly. They are ok for hub motors. If you put it in some light scooter with powerful hub motor (at least 3kw) and couple with high discharge battery than it is very fun machine.

Do you know anything else in this power and price segment ?
Is apt short for adappto or is this a different label ?

apt and adappto are different controllers difference manufactures.
apt chinese, adappto russian I think.

If want best, get Nucular ~700usd or
BAC controller but even more money and somewhat more complicated adjustment.

There are Powervelocity controllers which I had no experience with therefore can't say how good they are.

If you will go as much as possible stealth mode than consider KLS7218S. It's less powerful than sabvoton but smaller lighter and you can hide on on mountain bike frame.

minde28383 said:
If you will go as much as possible stealth mode than consider KLS7218S. It's less powerful than sabvoton but smaller lighter and you can hide on on mountain bike frame.

I have decided to buy the sabvoton 72150 because its cheap and there are lots of reviews and i hope i'll get help in this forum easily. And ill find a way to "hide" it :wink:
And if i want more power one day and have more experience ..and money, i'll get a better one like asi bac, or nuclear or somithing else :wink:

Back