Adding pictures?

In windows 10 you can resize your image as well, whether it be Photo's App or MS Paint.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/how-to-resize-an-image-on-a-windows-10-computer-and-adjust-your-photos-to-the-perfect-size-for-any-situation/ar-BB17hrcb

https://tencomputer.com/resize-photos-in-windows-10/

Oh ridiculous.. i found the setting hanging out in a legacy part of phpbb's database..

There are apparently 3 places where there's a stated limit for everyone.. but it only applies to users :roll:

The limit is 8mb.. for real now... give it a try :mrgreen:

I just attempted to upload a png file all of 8.76KB and it was denied.

I did not read about the 8mb addition, my bad. I will see what I can do.
1.57MB picture was denied in attachments.

Hey Kiwifiat, even my 88kb pic was denied.

Error parsing server response.

kiwifiat said:
I just attempted to upload a png file all of 8.76KB and it was denied.

Test failed. Including a 70.4kb JPG.

Must be something to do with which type of user gets which limit; below are the same thing resized several ways and sizes, and two formats (PNG and JPG), from less than 1KB to over 3.5MB, with no errors. I know I'm in the "moderator" group, and may be in the "admin" group (can't remember).

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 11,799
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 11,799
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 11,799
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 11,799
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 11,799
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 11,799
  • test.png
    test.png
    733.4 KB · Views: 11,799
  • testa.png
    testa.png
    784 bytes · Views: 11,799
markz said:
I did not read about the 8mb addition, my bad. I will see what I can do.
1.57MB picture was denied in attachments.

Hey Kiwifiat, even my 88kb pic was denied.

Error parsing server response.
Yep, thats exactly what I got and I tried a jpg of the same image and dimensions of only 575x167.

test picture:

Result: Failure, can't even post a 67 Kb attachment.

:| :bolt:

Bloody hell.. sorry to make you guys my accidental beta testers.
The problem is that moderators and admins have a different limit, so this is not too easy to test.

I have made another change. Give it another go and see what happens. If it does not work, i will create a basic user account for myself and fix this problem once and for all.

Attachment test:1.8mb
Plants.JPG
Result: Success

:D :bolt:

7 mb test:
flower-box - 5691x3793.jpg

Result: Success

How does one upload an image? It says in this thread "use the Browse button to upload". But I can't find the Browse button.

And the tag just takes a URL and assumes the image will be hosted elsewhere.

I want the image to show up in my comment. I know it can be done, and everyone is doing it, but I can't figure it.

Below where you type your post, there are two tabs. One is Attachments. Click that and then Add files. A window will come up, dependent on your OS for what it looks like, that lets you find the file you want to post. Select that file, then click OK or Open, etc., in that window. After it uploads, you can then put your cursor within your text wherever you wish, and choose Place inline to make your post have that in that spot.
20200704_084813.jpg

Or just click Submit after uploading, and it will show up at the end of the post.

Attachments

• il_1588xN.1356230805_cdos.jpg
    il_1588xN.1356230805_cdos.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 11,697
i use, imgur, google it its free.
once signed up
click your user name in upper right corner
youll see images, click it
then you see this and click auto resize

BPpM2EN.jpg

select message boards, where the cursor is

5vxUCPx.jpg

then add images

OH7epFj.jpg

then browse

ZzMOv6S.jpg

once youve selected picture or document from your computer

it will pop up in imgur, click the picture and youll see this "BBCode" and click it "copy" where the hand is,

fsx06Up.jpg

come to ES and paste

gE87xTG.jpg

and your done

L4HBAXC.jpg

its pretty easy

And then your image is gone, making the post worthless, when imgur or whatever external site goes away. That could be a year from now, or tomorrow. :(

And just because someone can see your post, doesn't mean they can see your images, if for whatever reason the site you posted them on is blocked for them. (for instance, if you have any images in the post you just made, I can't see them, because they're not attached to the post and not coming from the ES server with your post).

If you attach the image to your post, it's always there for as long as the post is there. And anyone that can see your post can also see the image.

Yep. It is a huge problem to use external sites for uploading. ES has lost perhaps 1/2 of it's images over time thanks to third party hosts going under or charging money. And another ~5% due to previous filesystem corruption ( ES spent most of it's life without proper backups! )

I have currently allowed no limits on file uploading because we'll have a badass recompressor later that's similar to what facebook/imgur/reddit/etc use and we currently have the disk space to accept uploads without the recompressor for a year.

So go wild with image uploads and don't worry too much about resizing, etc.

In our new forum format.. image uploading, positioning, and picking will be super duper easy.. so if you are resisting uploading pics here.. you won't be for long. :)

amberwolf said:
One is Attachments.

Thank you so much Amberwolf -- I was going mental. The web designer for ES should know that inline graphics, quotes, equations, etc. are not attachments, but part of the text, albeit a different object.

So at ES to insert a graphic, one has to attach it first.

Solarsail said:
The web designer for ES should know that inline graphics, quotes, equations, etc. are not attachments, but part of the text, albeit a different object.
It's not ES, it's PHPBB. Just the way the forum software works, which we're stuck with until something better is written from scratch for it.

Yes, that's a function of our platform ( phpbb ). The theme of this forum is my design but the code underlying it is not. Changing certain behaviors of phpbb is difficult. We have decided to throw out the baby with the bathwater and start on a new platform entirely starting next month.

You will be super happy with our next platform as it does away with all of this early 2000's thinking that does not make sense to anyone today. It is very good looking, performing, and functioning :bigthumb:

I just want to say that throwing out baby's is morally wrong.
That is all.

neptronix said:
It is very good looking, performing, and functioning :bigthumb:

And Thanks for mentioning me.

And and pic test!

Picture1.png

Uhhh one more.

Attachments

• diff.gif
    diff.gif
    57.5 KB · Views: 11,646
neptronix said:
You will be super happy with our next platform as it does away with all of this early 2000's thinking that does not make sense to anyone today. It is very good looking, performing, and functioning :bigthumb:
That is a great idea, and the forum does need a facelift. For example reaction emoticons to posts and replies. Better search functionality and options. This said, the PHPBB is not the worst that I have seen and it has its good points. I was just very :x and felt helpless that everyone was posting images, and I just couldn't figure it out. I was convinced that I had been put on a probation list and that I had said something wrong. :lol:

There is this electronics forum that I forget the name. Bunch of pompous asses run the place like a concentration camp. I made the mistake of asking a question which I was told was too practical and was contrary to their forum culture, and I was dumped upon by some self-important gestapo types and my complaints to the admin fell on deaf ears. They even have a rule that you cannot thank a person or praise their work, etc. Once bitten, twice shy.

If I recall correctly the forum was electronics at stackexchange. Anyone has experience with them?

Yes, i've wanted a facelift for ES since i took a position of being server guy here in 2015. A significantly better platform has not materialized since then. We blew lots of time trying to find better platforms to no avail. I donated money of my own to various open source platforms, and attempted to steer them in the direction of adding basic features such as a visual post editor and easier youtube embedding. I also came up with a design for my own message board software, which i sat on, knowing it would take a year of full time effort to execute.

Only in the last year did i stumble upon XenForo and notice that in the last year, they added a majority of the modern features we'd been looking for.

Stackexchange sounds like a pain in the ass. I never want to see that kind of shit here, it make a communications medium useless and hostile. ES can be abrasive at times but..

neptronix said:
....The limit is 8mb.. for real now... give it a try :mrgreen:

Don't got 8mb at the moment, but here is about 10,000 (maybe more) vinyl disks that comes in at 7.09mb. Pop's over collected collection that I now get to sell... 8)

:D :bolt:

Attachments

• 10000 LP Records.JPG
    10000 LP Records.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 6,902
Back