How do you feel about 'other toxic discussions' on this forum?

How do you feel about it?

• It's my favorite section!

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • It's fun sometimes but i'm mostly here for the eBike action.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • It doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I tolerate it.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I hate it - kill it with fire!

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm totally with you, Dan. I've put that on my to-do's.

I am not at all interested in OTC and wish I could place all of the threads on a ignore list and not be pulled into it via quick links. I would rather think a member a fool then to read some of the crap they will commit to in writing. I avoided ES for months at a time after reading some of the posts on the feed by members I thought more highly of before reading some of the batshit crazy posts. Just don't see any upside to it but have at it without me if you like it.

speedmd said:
I am not at all interested in OTC and wish I could place all of the threads on a ignore list and not be pulled into it via quick links. I would rather think a member a fool then to read some of the crap they will commit to in writing. I avoided ES for months at a time after reading some of the posts on the feed by members I thought more highly of before reading some of the batshit crazy posts. Just don't see any upside to it but have at it without me if you like it.

I completely agree with you.

This post makes me conscious of my behavior in OTD and gives me pause about wrestling with pigs in the mud in public view. I feel that my behavior on this forum needs to be consistent with that of a forum coordinator/leader, but struggle with the temptation. And ultimately, since politics change like the winds and tides, it is not important for me to even view OTD threads for purposes other than moderation.

I am sorry to hear that OTD has soured your experience with the forum. I don't think the benefit of having a place to vent is worth the cost of potentially losing user's interest.

I'm doing you all a solid and have given the forum a one-time mass subscribe from OTD threads. You can read more about what this entails here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109608

neptronix said:
This post makes me conscious of my behavior in OTD and gives me pause about wrestling with pigs in the mud in public view. I feel that my behavior on this forum needs to be consistent with that of a forum coordinator/leader, but struggle with the temptation. And ultimately, since politics change like the winds and tides, it is not important for me to even view OTD threads for purposes other than moderation.

:)

If memory serves, we had this conversation a few years back.

Carry on...

Nick

otd great for trolls

instabilities made visible

divisions sowed

no point on technical forum

nicobie said:
:) If memory serves, we had this conversation a few years back.

Yup.. and you and me are not the only one who feels bad about the guilty pleasure of mud wrestling either.

I check my own your posts/egosearch a lot and it makes me wish i never posted in the OTD since those threads are more alive than the proper ones.

If it’s possible i’d just want to break all the connections to the OTD. I’m here for the real stuff, not for the weirdos.

Agreed. My posts link is my main ES landing page. The OTD thread is always leading my list. Hopefully there is some way to eventually hack that such that you can drop threads from that list. That is basically my "subscribe" function.

My first thought is to unlink the OTD section from the normal functions of the forum but I guess that becomes a pretty good argument on the side of getting rid of it.

Whats the purpose of discussing politics with our bike friends when we can do that on the entire rest of the internet?

Then again eliminating it while still having normal standards on the rest of the forum is another example of suppressing speech or whatever. I'm sure there would be lots of complaints and toxic things would creep into the bike talk without the blow off valve.

Its a really tough call.

I'd like to thank neptronix and the rest of the moderators :bigthumb:
This migration to the knew forum format might be needed and i am sure it's not the most exciting work. If possible then i'd like to be able to hide threads in OTD in the future format.

I like the idea of unsubscribing threads for any reason.

I just realized that the prolific "Wind and Solar" thread isn't OTD, despite being quite toxic. "Bike Friendly Cities" is OTD, even though it's more of a General Discussion kind of thread.

are you saying
people cant resist from clicking and reading the OTD
even though they hate it

they have to look
just so they can complain?

ES would be pretty boring without it

Chalo said:
"Bike Friendly Cities" is OTD, even though it's more of a General Discussion kind of thread.

That's to make 'Bike Friendly Cities' seem sexy.

I wonder just how bad the solar thread would get if they decided the gloves could come off. . . .

goatman said:
are you saying
people cant resist from clicking and reading the OTD
even though they hate it

they have to look

Addiction is a disease.

goatman said:
they have to look

It’s one thing to read and make one post and another to have it as the first ”your posts” topic forever after.

Also OTD threads seem to always have a downward spiral. Can start out like fun but quickly turns into a vomit pizza with turd topping..

Back